• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I was so bummed when they announced that FFXI would be online only. If I recall correctly, when Square made that announcement, they had also announced that FFXII would be more like a traditional FF game (namely, it would not be an MMORPG).

Then the trailer for FFXII hit and it wasn't turn based and instead looked a lot like the awful MMORPG combat in FFXI, and it turned me right off.

Fast forward to today, and now that I've become more accustomed to ARPGs like Xenoblade and Ys VIII, I'm really, really looking forward to playing FFXII for the first time. I still wish it had turn based combat though.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wish I hadn't picked it up for the PS4 when it released, would love it portably. Eagerly awaiting the release date for IX.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Cover art for Switch physical release from official site.
tab3_img.jpg

Last edited:

Amanobuff

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore
Would have been nice to play in bed, but I just recently got the Platinum in the PS4 release. I'm FFXII'd out for a few years.

At first I was bummed because Switch has no trophies, but it turns out the game itself has an achievement system that basically mirrors the trophies on PS4. Can't wait to get through all of them from anywhere.

Doesn't click for me either. I appreciate the art style, it is beautiful in itself. But it just doesn't suit the theme of the game itself for me. It makes everyone look like a teenager when I know this is very much a mature story driven by adult characters. Still looks pretty though.

I was so bummed when they announced that FFXI would be online only. If I recall correctly, when Square made that announcement, they had also announced that FFXII would be more like a traditional FF game (namely, it would not be an MMORPG).

Then the trailer for FFXII hit and it wasn't turn based and instead looked a lot like the awful MMORPG combat in FFXI, and it turned me right off.

Fast forward to today, and now that I've become more accustomed to ARPGs like Xenoblade and Ys VIII, I'm really, really looking forward to playing FFXII for the first time. I still wish it had turn based combat though.

For what I know, you can choose within the game's options to pause the battle every time you select actions, basically turning the battle system into turn based.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems only the Nintendo Switch versions will have a physical release in Japan, with Xbox One version only available as a download.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FF12 is the last good Final Fantasy. Will probably pick this up at some point during a lull if there ever is one. Glad it's on Switch, I'm sure it'll do very well.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
At first I was bummed because Switch has no trophies, but it turns out the game itself has an achievement system that basically mirrors the trophies on PS4. Can't wait to get through all of them from anywhere.

Doesn't click for me either. I appreciate the art style, it is beautiful in itself. But it just doesn't suit the theme of the game itself for me. It makes everyone look like a teenager when I know this is very much a mature story driven by adult characters. Still looks pretty though.

For what I know, you can choose within the game's options to pause the battle every time you select actions, basically turning the battle system into turn based.

While it is an option I wouldn't recommend doing this. It turnes the game into an awful slog and slows it down too much. Wasn't designed to be played like that and will ruin your experience of the game no matter how much you like turn based combat,

Mar 21, 2018
great news. I don't think anyone from 5-10 years ago would have predicted how the industry would have turned out. FFXII and FFX on THE two other platforms is great news for everyone. Now if only FFXV could be removed from all platforms and from everyone's memories. Just kidding. Please don't be mad at me.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Ashe, Vaan, and Penelo a re actual teenagers, no? Even Balthier is just 22. Though in the game they all feel older because of the story, the characters around them, the artstyle, and the fact that everyone will look mature in the presence of Vaan.

Amanobuff

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore
While it is an option I wouldn't recommend doing this. It turnes the game into an awful slog and slows it down too much. Wasn't designed to be played like that and will ruin your experience of the game no matter how much you like turn based combat,

I had a feeling that would be an issue. I watched some YouTube videos and the option really slows the game to an insane degree. I am planning to play with the original battle system btw. But at least is nice to have an option for those who can not stand it.

Ashe, Vaan, and Penelo a re actual teenagers, no? Even Balthier is just 22. Though in the game they all feel older because of the story, the characters around them, the artstyle, and the fact that everyone will look mature in the presence of Vaan.

Fair enough, but my point still stands though. The characters look way too young. Even younger than the art for the 2017 release, which in turn looked younger than the cover art for the original release. They've been de-ageing the characters more and more every time.

72651-final-fantasy-xii-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
final-fantasy-xii-key-art.jpg
714hQvTH6XL._SL1500_.jpg

But good art is good art so it doesn't bother me that much.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading you could lock yourself out... or more like, make some fights extremely hard if you didn't have the right classes, so that's what worries me.

The only way you'll be in trouble is if you give everyone the exact same class sets with no healing magic, but that's such an unlikely thing for you to do.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading you could lock yourself out... or more like, make some fights extremely hard if you didn't have the right classes, so that's what worries me.
You'll be fine, just remember to diversify what classes you give and look around before you decide which summon to give to which character. The fact that you can pick two classes for everyone really alleviates your concern which was probably a very real issue in the original PS2 Zodiac release.

Failing that, there are quite a few detailed guides about class choices out there, and one really good Google sheets document out there which I used but can't find the link for. Or, failing that, just pick these as your classes and summons and enjoy the game.

Vaan - Bushi/Knight
(Belias/Mateus/Hashmal/Exodus/Ultima)
Ashe - Black Mage/Monk
(Chaos)
Basch - Shikari/Foebreaker
(Zalera)
Fran - Machinist/White Mage
(Famfrit)
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage
(Adrammelech/Zeromus)
Penelo - Red Battlemage/Archer
(Shemhazai/Cuchulainn/Zodiark)

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
The new FFXII art is gorgeous, but where's Basch?! He's a bit more plot relevant than Penelo, lol. Nice to see Ashe front and center, though, as the rightful queen and FFXII protag deserves.

If it helps, they made TZA a lot easier than the original. (Maybe a bit too much easier?) As Tfritz said, as long as you've got healing magic, you'll be fine!

I had Ashe (Knight/Time Battlemage), Penelo (Monk/Black Mage), Vaan (Archer/Red Battlemage), Balthier (Samurai/Uhlan), Basch (Shikari/Foebreaker), and Fran (Machinist/White Mage). It worked really well*.

*Though Vaan looked a little hilarious with a bow. Poor Vaan.

we need to know if the japanese version has english asap. with that cover...daaamn.

Oh god, if it is, I'll be buying Japanese and English versions of the Switch port. arghhh.

Fair enough, but my point still stands though. The characters look way too young. Even younger than the art for the 2017 release, which in turn looked younger than the cover art for the original release. They've been de-ageing the characters more and more every time.

But good art is good art so it doesn't bother me that much.

Yoshida seems to alternate between two art styles: a somewhat realistic style, and an even more stylized one where characters tend to have less features and look younger. He seems to do more stylized work these days. That being said, the way he's drawn the FFXII characters for TZA isn't too dissimilar to how he drew them back in the day. I appreciate that he designed the characters, but I will say that some of his work isn't my favorite look for the cast. I absolutely loved the new artwork we got from Kamikokuryo last year, it's just stunning. I would have loved to have it as box art.

DALLEo4V0AE8vCf.jpg

Last edited:

Woylie

May 9, 2018
personally i think the box art looks good, and i much prefer it to the original, even if they are chibi-ized.

so glad this has a release date. releasing x and x-2 two weeks prior so no one will have a chance to finish them before 12 is a weird move - luckily i'll only be getting 12, so it doesn't really matter for me.

i figured the point of announcing all of the games at once was to space out the releases throughout the year, but at this point i'm fully expecting 7 and 9 to release within a week of each other. not that people need to play stuff as soon as it comes out, but you'd think they'd want to give them breathing room to maximize the number of people who buy both

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Is there fast forward in cutscenes? Like not skip it entirely, but more akin to Ys VIII.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Beautiful boxart for XII.
Will pick it up later this year.
No details on performance i suppose? What should we expect from the NS version?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The German gaming websites say that X/X-2 and XII will only release as a digtal version on Xbox One referencing to a German press statement. Are things different in the US? Couldn't really tell from the website. I'll just keep my XII steelbook and get the digital version. I do think the market in the west is big enough to justify a physical Xbox One edition, but I know Microsoft also requires a minimum amount in this case. I'd also be happy to know if the games are Xbox One X enhanced. World of Final Fantasy is, so I expect the two titles to join the list, too. Was World of Final Fantasy available as a physical edition in the US? Doesn't seem so for Europe, so maybe it's the same situation again?!

Last edited:

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Did they say anything about boosters and fast forward options?

What version are these new ports based on?

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I'm done playing RPG's that aren't on the Switch. Just don't have the time to sit in front of the TV anymore - just hope more than anything that more JRPG's make their way to the Switch. I'm Day 1 on this though. Been waiting forever to play this mobile

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I initially had the same worries as you. But so long as you diversify (regardless of who gets which job), you will be fine throughout.
Nah. The game isn't THAT hard. Its extremely unlikely you end up with a party SO bad that happens unless it was intentional.

Like...all white mages would get you there but only an insane person would do this their first run through.

At least diversify somewhat- doesn't matter how or with who and you'll be fine.
The only way you'll be in trouble is if you give everyone the exact same class sets with no healing magic, but that's such an unlikely thing for you to do.
You'll be fine, just remember to diversify what classes you give and look around before you decide which summon to give to which character. The fact that you can pick two classes for everyone really alleviates your concern which was probably a very real issue in the original PS2 Zodiac release.

Failing that, there are quite a few detailed guides about class choices out there, and one really good Google sheets document out there which I used but can't find the link for. Or, failing that, just pick these as your classes and summons and enjoy the game.

Vaan - Bushi/Knight
(Belias/Mateus/Hashmal/Exodus/Ultima)
Ashe - Black Mage/Monk
(Chaos)
Basch - Shikari/Foebreaker
(Zalera)
Fran - Machinist/White Mage
(Famfrit)
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage
(Adrammelech/Zeromus)
Penelo - Red Battlemage/Archer
(Shemhazai/Cuchulainn/Zodiark)
The new FFXII art is gorgeous, but where's Basch?! He's a bit more plot relevant than Penelo, lol. Nice to see Ashe front and center, though, as the rightful queen and FFXII protag deserves.

If it helps, they made TZA a lot easier than the original. (Maybe a bit too much easier?) As Tfritz said, as long as you've got healing magic, you'll be fine!

I had Ashe (Knight/Time Battlemage), Penelo (Monk/Black Mage), Vaan (Archer/Red Battlemage), Balthier (Samurai/Uhlan), Basch (Shikari/Foebreaker), and Fran (Machinist/White Mage). It worked really well*.

*Though Vaan looked a little hilarious with a bow. Poor Vaan.

Thanks, guys! :)