• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've been on a JRPG kick lately. FF7 and FF9 are my favorite Final Fantasies (and two of my favorite games of all time), and I also really like 6 and 10. As someone who has heard the entire range of opinions on 12, what's the best way to sell me on this game? Why do you think it's gotten a controversial reception where some people think it's either a masterpiece or can't stand it? I want to like it but I can also be a bit picky about Final Fantasy games.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on a JRPG kick lately. FF7 and FF9 are my favorite Final Fantasies (and two of my favorite games of all time), and I also really like 6 and 10. As someone who has heard the entire range of opinions on 12, what's the best way to sell me on this game? Why do you think it's gotten a controversial reception where some people think it's either a masterpiece or can't stand it? I want to like it but I can also be a bit picky about Final Fantasy games.

The simplest assessment is this: do you enjoy Matsuno-style writing and world-building (e.g. FFT, Tactics Ogre, etc)?

FFXII is a game with good characters, like most FFs, but it focuses a bit less on them and their interactions than it does its Shakespearean political machinations.

More importantly to its divisiveness, its gambit combat system was well ahead of its time, and served to inspire the AI tactic customization used in subsequent BioWare games (chiefly Dragon Age). People will say "it plays itself," but it really doesn't most of the time; after the beginning, the player constantly has to manually input and control situations in ways their gambits couldn't anticipate.

The Zodiac Age remaster improved the game in a number of ways, too. It features 2/4x fast-forwarding, which is a major QoL boon and meshes perfectly with gambit combat, as well as a job system that ensures characters' uniqueness in a way that the original release's universal license board didn't.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

FF12 is political intrigue galore whereas previous entries are mostly melodramatic overdose. They're all extremely good at what they do. But someone looking for a story about love and friendship will find nothing to appreciate about FF12 considering the only hint of romance was thrown out of the window in the first five hours, and friendship...Well they are not all friends, they have a common goal but they come from backgrounds that makes them hard to reconciliate.

Your role in the story are a bunch of people who would have never met in any other circumstances just trying to *survive* the traps that were laid out years before. They spend the majority of the game not *mattering* to anything going on because they are worthless rats compared to the might and wickedness of the main villain. They're not out there to save the world, they're not out there to put an end to something, they're out there just figuring out how they can solve something when their options are either to die like dogs or wipe the kingdom they wanted to save in the first place because of their actions.

So the game is more about "I'm at the absolute bottom of the well, how do I climb back up from here ? How much blood do I need to have on my hands ?" and less about "I am the only person capable of saving the world and driving everything forward to a god-slaying finale"

Amanobuff

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but in an interview with the porting studio, Virtuos (they ported all the other versions of these games), it was revealed that the Switch and XBOX ports will have the option to remap the buttons:

Finally, we've also integrated the "key mapping" system into both Xbox One and Switch versions in order to give more control flexibility to players around the globe. This is the first time we brought it to consoles (PS4/PSV don't have it, only PC has such functionality).
Feature: How Virtuos Solved The Technical Challenge Of Bringing The Final Fantasy Remasters To Switch

I am sure this is gonna come in super handy for those of us used to play with the Playstation button layout.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Let me put it this way, i thought Final Fantasy XII for PS2 was ok, i think the Zodiac Age is one of the best RPGs ever made. The PS2 held that game back big time, playing it in 2x speed is just incredible, normal speed feels like slow motion. The classes in Zodiac Age also were a big addition rather than having everyone being the same.

The combat system, level design, and overall gameplay loop are just phenomenal. The only big problem i have with the game is their absolutely baffling decision to have Vaan as the lead character, The plot revolves around Ashe and Basch, Baltheir is the best character by far, and even Fran is much more interesting despite her lack of screen time. Other than that the game is a 10.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I know the Starlink port is supposedly really good so hopefully it was more of a Bandai Namco not caring just release the damn game and never bother fixing it thing in reguards to the terribly compressed (for no apparent reason?) sound in Dark Souls rather than a Virtuos thing.

Whoever it was that made that decsion has vastly differing opinions of what is an acceptable release to me. :|

I don't want their FF Switch ports falling to the same fate. And considering the 'no one cares or seemingly even noticed' reaction from the press/reviewers and the silence from everyone involved with Dark Souls, nothing will ever be done about it if so.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Bi of a necro bump but it seems to have been some change in the development build on steam

It might be nothing, a minor bug fix or the new features retrofitted into the old versions

screenshot_2019-10-18lak5z.png

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Still playing on Switch actually. One of the best games I've ever played, the improvements are exponential to the experience.

I was OP'd the entire game but getting my ass handed to me behind the Scorpio Gate in Girovagun/Great Crystal!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this when it was on sale for Switch a while back and just got around to starting it. I loved it on PS2 and it's the only Final Fantasy past VII that I have fully completed.

The game grabs you so fast between the cinematics and story framing. Rabanastre has to be one of the best RPG cities of all time too. It is so vast and has character to it.

One last thought: Only just over an hour in, but I can already tell the turbo mode is going to streamline so much of the bloat of the game, which I seem to remember being my only issue.