• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Uhh, we need confirmation of the NA boxart or of English options in the JP version.

Well this is what Amazon currently have up.

71pWER4cn%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also X/X-2

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I know but iirc the PC versions offer more options? I could be wrong though.
It did.
  • New Game Plus and New Game Minus – Post-game content modes are now accessible from the beginning of the game.
  • Three background music options – The original, re-orchestrated and soundtrack versions are now available from the beginning of the game.
  • Maximized License Points and Gil – New functionality added to grant players max License Points and Gil from the configuration screen.
I hope these are available on the new ports.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
outside of resolutions (and I think framerate? I don't know), there's no additional features

According to Steam the PC version of FFX/X-2 offers 7 boosters including faster animations. The PS3 and PS4 versions don't include these options.

It did.
  • New Game Plus and New Game Minus – Post-game content modes are now accessible from the beginning of the game.
  • Three background music options – The original, re-orchestrated and soundtrack versions are now available from the beginning of the game.
  • Maximized License Points and Gil – New functionality added to grant players max License Points and Gil from the configuration screen.
I hope these are available on the new ports.

Well...let's hope so.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope I'll like it this time around! I couldn't stand the gameplay when it was originally released, and I did emulate it at one point to be able to fast-forward, but only got as far as Phon Coast, so I couldn't really analyze the plot at all. I know this one has fast-forwarding as well as a new class system, so I hope that'll make me like it better. If it'd just been FFXIV gameplay I'm sure I'd like it...

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope I'll like it this time around! I couldn't stand the gameplay when it was originally released, and I did emulate it at one point to be able to fast-forward, but only got as far as Phon Coast, so I couldn't really analyze the plot at all. I know this one has fast-forwarding as well as a new class system, so I hope that'll make me like it better. If it'd just been FFXIV gameplay I'm sure I'd like it...

that's understandable. there's that long stretch of the game where nothing happens and you're just on a road trip across like five zones and each one of them could have stood to be about a third smaller.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
that's understandable. there's that long stretch of the game where nothing happens and you're just on a road trip across like five zones and each one of them could have stood to be about a third smaller.

That was the big thing with the plot, yeah. I had forgotten what was happening when I had to walk across the sandy zones that look like oil fields. How's the gameplay in this new one? Does the speedup function help? I tried playing Xenoblade and ended up giving up because of how it felt similar to XII in a lot of ways, so idk if this remaster helps or what.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
That was the big thing with the plot, yeah. I had forgotten what was happening when I had to walk across the sandy zones that look like oil fields. How's the gameplay in this new one? Does the speedup function help? I tried playing Xenoblade and ended up giving up because of how it felt similar to XII in a lot of ways, so idk if this remaster helps or what.

The fastforward helps A Lot, and also enemies are less sturdy in this version so battles are resolved more quickly. In the area you described, I remember it going on and on and on forever in the PS2 version, but when I played the PS4 version I was genuinely surprised by how quickly it was over.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
The fastforward helps A Lot, and also enemies are less sturdy in this version so battles are resolved more quickly. In the area you described, I remember it going on and on and on forever in the PS2 version, but when I played the PS4 version I was genuinely surprised by how quickly it was over.

Good to know! Thanks for the response--I might actually pick the Switch version up.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
The German gaming websites say that X/X-2 and XII will only release as a digtal version on Xbox One referencing to a German press statement. Are things different in the US? Couldn't really tell from the website. I'll just keep my XII steelbook and get the digital version. I do think the market in the west is big enough to justify a physical Xbox One edition, but I know Microsoft also requires a minimum amount in this case. I'd also be happy to know if the games are Xbox One X enhanced. World of Final Fantasy is, so I expect the two titles to join the list, too. Was World of Final Fantasy available as a physical edition in the US? Doesn't seem so for Europe, so maybe it's the same situation again?!

WoFF was physical in the US - I imported a copy. I'm guessing I'll have to do the same for X and XII as well :(

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best FFs on more platforms, nice. That said PC version is the GOAT version because mods fix one of the biggest problem with the game (it becomes too easy after 10 hours or so and jobs are imbalanced). If you have a decent PC that's the version to go for.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Regarding a physical release for Xbox or Switch in Europe this is what a spanish retailer tweeted yesterday:

Xtralife said:
Good news does not stop this week! #FinalFantasyX-X2 HD Remaster and #FinalFantasyXII The Zodiac Age will arrive in physical format to #NintendoSwitch and #XboxOne 😍

We can enjoy these 2 games on April 16 and 30 respectively 😱 Available to preorder very soon!

While they have some imported games on their site I don't think they would be promoting a preorder like that if it wasn't that a PAL edition is expected.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy 12 Switch is sold out on Amazon. Nice.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 is good. like "what if FF13 was good" kind of way

10-2 has a really fun combat system

12 is my favorite though

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wonder if the Switch ports of this year's FF games eventually end up in a discounted bundle?

Like, not a super steep discount, but maybe like $20 off the combined price when you buy them all together?

I've got all of these games for various other platforms that I already play on, and in this case I've played them to completion recently enough that I'm not feeling full price purchases for my Switch again, even though I'd likely start playthroughs of all of the incoming games if I could get them for less than the full retail price.

Still, FFXII alone is maybe enjoyable enough to me that I might justify double dipping from the PS4 version I already have.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Switch ports of this year's FF games eventually end up in a discounted bundle?
if this was any other company, sure. not with SE. don't think there was a bundle in Japan either, which is the place where this would most likely to happen.

still expect a 7/8/9 physical bundle though (in Japan)

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Only one I can maybe think of is Fran? But if you forego this entire game because of one character's design you're doing a massive disservice to yourself.
Well no, I posted a pic in another thread and I said it was the worst design but that's not really stopping me from getting it; the only thing stopping me is that I'm not really a FF guy, I played X and XIII but that's about it

Oct 27, 2017
Well no, I posted a pic in another thread and I said it was the worst design but that's not really stopping me from getting it; the only thing stopping me is that I'm not really a FF guy, I played X and XIII but that's about it

Yeah, I know who you're talking about. That character appears for all of 10 seconds in the game and maybe has two lines of dialogue.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, then that shouldn't bother me

(i still think it's weird that she wears panties over her clothes)
(i'm talking about elza)

Yeah, she's part of a trio that all seem really out of place. They only talk to you a couple of times in the story and they're not even voiced.

edit: oh shit, I just realized the little shit in the trio is supposed to be a small bangaa.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017

Oh, well there's no way I would have thought of that character with your vague statement considering how unimportant she is lol.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I am this close to committing to a Final Fantasy purchase on a Nintendo platform other than the DS/3DS for the first time in literally decades. XII is so, so tempting.

Oct 27, 2017
So, US will get a physical release for both Xbox One and Switch where in Europe only for the Switch.
I really was looking forward to getting Xbox One physical version. Looks like I will wait for the digital version to go on sale then.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Regarding a physical release for Xbox or Switch in Europe this is what a spanish retailer tweeted yesterday:

While they have some imported games on their site I don't think they would be promoting a preorder like that if it wasn't that a PAL edition is expected.

So… Square Enix store has now confirmed a physical release in Europe… but apparently just for the Switch:

https://store.eu.square-enix-games....al-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-nintendo-switch

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Sorry for a slightly off-topic question, but regarding FFX/X-2 on Switch, anyone know if they're doing the Vita thing with X-2 as a separate download or will the Switch version be like the PS3/4 version?