• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FINAL FANTASY XII: THE ZODIAC AGE
Steam Edition

test1yeoau.png

Credits to Isamu Kamikokuryo
  • Publisher : Square-Enix
  • Platform : PS4, PC
  • Price : 49,99€/$
  • DRM : Denuvo
  • Size : 50GB
Steam Features
  • 60 FPS is now available
  • Supports up to 4K
  • 21:9 Resolution supported
  • KB/M and Controller support (DS4 included with PS button prompts)
  • New Game+ (starts at lv99) and New Game- (stuck at lv1) are available from the start
  • Cheats allowing you to maximize License Points and Gil
awvQwfA.jpg
(thanks georaldc)

New Features

• The Zodiac Job System now allows you to have 2 jobs per character
  • Trial mode is a 100 floors challenge with the ability to transfer the loot over the main campaign
  • Speed mode allows you to boost the speed of the game by 2 times or 4 times
  • Ability to choose between JP and EN voices
  • Reorchestrated soundtrack helmed by Hitoshi Sakimoto himself as well as the ability to choose between the three soundtracks available
  • The return of the Clan Primer (in-game achievements) on top of regular achievements

Length

qgsdfghfghnhsyn.png

Average polled from 105 people according to HowLongToBeat

Trailer

Screens
Reviews (PS4)

RPGFan: 90%
I enjoyed my time with this title immensely. This is more than just the original with a facelift; this is truly a different experience. Even if you didn't take to the initial release, the inclusion of the job system and overall enhancements warrant you giving this game a second chance. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is more than just a fun game; it's an achievement for the RPG genre as a whole.

USGamer: 4.5/5
After missing out on Final Fantasy XII the first time, I feel like a lot of people are wondering if they should finally tackle the Final Fantasy that time forgot. As something of a former skeptic myself, I can definitely say, "Yes." It may never have the mass appeal of some of its peers, but it's time Final Fantasy XII received some of the love and attention it deserves.

Eurogamer: Recommended
The Zodiac Age is an anomaly in the Final Fantasy lineage, a game made with the kind of singular directorial vision only matched by the Sakaguchi games (and, arguably, Naoki Yoshida's more recent Final Fantasy 14). Quite how close the finished game comes to Matsuno's vision is a question we will likely never know the answer to - especially now he is again working with the company, and obligated to remain tactfully silent. What is clear is that this is the definitive version of Final Fantasy 12, a game that despite its developmental difficulties, still emerged as one of the most fascinating projects to take the series' name.

Steam Reviews : 87%

Related thread

What jobs should I use ?

You can use every combination without any issue, but you have to know that some useful licenses are locked behind esper nodes.

Use the Party Planner : Copy the sheet to your google drive, make the party that you want and it will give you the information that you need to know so you can make an informed decision on who gets which esper.

On top of it, use these guides and build example to have a better grasp of what you want :

Most of all, DON'T STRESS TOO MUCH ABOUT IT ! All combinations are good and worth experimenting !

Why should I get this game if I played the original ?

The Zodiac Age allows for a smoother experience over the vanilla version. The inclusion of jobs means you have to put more thought and experiment more when it comes to the battle system, you cannot just slap three swords and call it a day. On top of that, Final Fantasy XII featured incredible environments and architecture that are made even better with the remaster. The soundtrack is also not shackled by the whims of the PS2 soundchip anymore as it has been reorchestrated, with brand new tracks to boot ! The differences are quite strong enough to warrant another playthrough. It's also a good time to revisit a great JRPG a decade after many successful RPGs replicated its codes over the years ;)

Anything else I should know to appreciate it better ?

Weapons :
The job system locks you into specific skills you have to unlock and only a handful of weapons you are allowed to wear. The game doesn't tell you this, and you don't exactly have to know this but your weapon is crucial. Every type of weapon has a different set of statistics and effects that can radically change the way you play.

The damage of a weapon is always calculated with a statistic of your character : most likely strength, but it can be magic or speed and you also have to take into account that they can have effects like bypassing the defense of an enemy. A weapon type can have a really bad attack value but bypassing defense makes it much stronger. The weapon also affects the speed of the ATB gauge, a dagger is much faster than a gun but deals less damage. There is also a combo rate, a weapon type can be more or less likely to deal combos, which can deal up to 8 hits in one attack !

Let's see how it plays out :

• A 1-handed sword is based on strength and has a medium charge time and combo rate
  • Guns are the slowest but are impossible to dodge or parry and bypasses defense entirely, meaning only the attack of your gun and your bullets (they can have different effects) are taken into account !
  • Bows are faster and also takes your speed into account
  • A hammer is based on strength and vitality favoring tanks but the damage range is high, meaning you can hit 30hp like you can hit 300hp.
  • Staves are inconsequential as a weapon but boosts elemental spells. A flame staff can add a boost to fire spells, and the weather can also boost it even further !
This means that diversifying your weapons and knowing what to focus on can greatly boost your efficiency ! Many things are also influenced from where you are : weather effects such as wind increases the potency of fire spells but also hits the accuracy of bows and crossbows ! The game never tells you this so you have to watch visual cues such as the clothes and the hair of your characters.

Don't forget the style too ! Every character has a different animation for *each* weapon type, and some are way cooler than others ! Always strive to understand how the mechanics works together and you'll be able to appreciate it much more.

Gambits :
You do not have to use them ! It's easy to get lost in the pleasure of automation but you have full control over them ! Tune them to the level of control that you desire and you'll be able to enjoy what it can do for you. Keep in mind that you can make the game unpause itself when you open the battle menu in the config ! You can also increase or lower the battle speed to your liking. Everything has been made so you can have a custom-made experience in terms of combat. Take the time to experiment and find your footing, you do not lose any kind of efficiency by doing so, quite the contrary !

Espers :
Do not hesitate to use espers, they are very useful now, and some of them being elemental can give you an edge on boss fights that are hard to conquer. Think of FF12:TZA as a new game and get rid of your habits !

Have Fun !

test2mcr83.png

Credits to Isamu Kamikokuryo​

Last edited:

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if I can transfer my save from the PS4 version to the PC version? If yes it's a buy for me, if not boooo.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Lol what's that OT title? I'm not in on the joke.

Wishlisted the PC version, too much to play for now. Hopefully something will click between me and this game in a future playthrough.

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the most polished Final Fantasy, but it's by far my favorite. Love me some Matsuno.

The 60 fps in-engine cutscenes look fantastic.

For PC, what are the most graphically-intensive areas? I've been getting 60 fps in Rabanastre on pretty much max settings, can I expect this to drop in certain areas?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yaaaas 100% run here we go!

Same for me ! I'm glad they added the clan primer back for this !

Lol what's that OT title? I'm not in on the joke.

You've never heard of the argument that It Plays Itself ? :p

You shouldn't have used imgur for your images. Compression sucks.

They're all abload, except for the 21:9 screen that I picked up from the previous FF12 thread, I should credit the author by the way.

For PC, what are the most graphically-intensive areas? I've been getting 60 fps in Rabanastre on pretty much max settings, can I expect this to drop in certain areas?

Rabanastre is most likely the most demanding.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Same for me ! I'm glad they added the clan primer back for this !
Was the clan primer not in the PS4 release? Weeeiiird...

A bit of a cross post: Between the official Dualshock 4 adapter, bluetooth, and a wired connection, only the official adapter is picked up by the game for me. Which I honestly don't mind, since I've recently decided to go back to a normal bluetooth dongle for more compatibility with other controllers. I'd like to have PS button prompts, but I hate when games have native DS4 support. It doesn't cooperate with the big picture overlay, meaning no customizable controls, and no having the button that should obviously be select, be used as select.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Was the clan primer not in the PS4 release? Weeeiiird...

A bit of a cross post: Between the official Dualshock 4 adapter, bluetooth, and a wired connection, only the official adapter is picked up by the game for me. Which I honestly don't mind, since I've recently decided to go back to a normal bluetooth dongle for more compatibility with other controllers. I'd like to have PS button prompts, but I hate when games have native DS4 support. It doesn't cooperate with the big picture overlay, meaning no customizable controls, and no having the button that should obviously be select, be used as select.

The Clan Primer and Pirate's Den was eventually patched back into the PS4 version.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
For people who have played the ps4 version ... Did they make the game easier? I recall it being a pretty stiff challenge in spots in the ps2 version, and I've heard that they defanged it to some degree.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
cheapest place to buy still GMG right?

It should be if the codes are still working.

For people who have played the ps4 version ... Did they make the game easier? I recall it being a pretty stiff challenge in spots in the ps2 version, and I've heard that they defanged it to some degree.

It's an unfortunate victim of the new job system. The licence boards are shorter so now you can aim for the very strong nodes immediately. But there isn't that much difference in terms of stats, I think the one key difference is that all cure spells are are of effects instead of single-target.

any chance we can get unlocked fps on ps4pro lol,

i wouldnt mind the cheats and new game plus mode though.

New Game + is unlocked after finishing the game on PS4 !

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kicking myself for getting the PS4 version a few weeks ago (just before Christmas I think).

I haven't even had time to take it out of the shrink wrap, haha.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I'll ask again in here, did anybody try going through the game with the lore-friendly job setup in the OP? How was it without having a WM for early game? Post your teams!

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I'll ask again in here, did anybody try going through the game with the lore-friendly job setup in the OP? How was it without having a WM for early game? Post your teams!

Can't you just make Balthier go White Mage and then Machinist? As far as I can tell from reading there's no difference between taking a job first or second.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you just make Balthier go White Mage and then Machinist? As far as I can tell from reading there's no difference between taking a job first or second.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There's no practical reason really, would just be weird seeing him without a gun till they get second jobs...though I don't know how long it takes until that point regardless

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no practical reason really, would just be weird seeing him without a gun till they get second jobs...though I don't know how long it takes until that point regardless

Looking at the build planner, it seems like Archer, Red mage, Black Mage, Monk, Machinist, and White Mage all gain access to Cure (and Blindna), so early-game should be pretty fine.

Dec 2, 2017
Maybe the best Final Fantasy. It was too ahead of its time for most fans. Years of Bioware rpgs should let people appreciate this one a lot better now.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah early-game is covered by the innate unlocks that some character has, I wouldn't worry about anything if you want to wait until the second job unlock. I didn't do my planning either.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Already played it on PS4 but went and bought this anyways. Red Mage is OP in this. Disable/Immobilize work on so many harder enemies.

Jaffo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rome, Italy
Uhm.... why do the cutscene have an enormous black bar at the bottom? it's not there during gameplay...

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017

It has you giving Fran Archer, which has early access to WM 4 (Cura/Raise). You'll be fine.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Replaying this game made me notice some design similarities to FF XIV. It also has a similar "feel". Gah I'm trying to avoid MMOs right now.

This game is practically a new game experience for me. I barely remember anything and with the new additions + more understanding of battle mechanics I'm really enjoying my time, taking it slow. It also looks gorgeous on 21:9 with 60 fps. I just wish the FOV could be increased here's hoping Special K can do something in the future.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Think I'll pick this up with that $30 deal on GMG. I remember I played the original to the halfway point or so. Had to stop playing for a while because I got busy with other things, but when I came back to it the combat wasn't clicking for me, I forgot a lot of the story beats, so I just put the game aside indefinitely. Think I was a bit under leveled for that point of the game too and lost motivation to grind. But I think the new fast forward system and the overhauled job system in the new version may help to remedy some of those woes. Always wanted to finish the game and hoping I will this time around.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This game runs so smooth. Now I can get rid of my PCSX2 FFXII iso, and put the disk and box in a vault somewhere, because it can rest in peace now.

I remember buying Dragon Quest 8 just for the demo of FFXII. DQ8 was interesting, but I could only take so much of that game's style and music. Watching videos of Dragon Quest Heroes made me a bit sick, but I would play Dragon Quest X if it came to America, because I hear it's like Final Fantasy XI.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know why borderless doesn't work for me?
I still see the windows task bar when I select it.