• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Just picked up the game and I am playing through it for the first time and I've got a question, do some characters have built in licenses or something? I made Fran an Archer and somehow she can use some Black Magic and White Magic skills (She doesn't have access to those licenses on her License board) and I'm not sure exactly where it is coming from. Just trying to understand exactly how it all works.
Yes, every character has a few "built-in" licenses that they always have, even if you "respec".

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The "speed mode" is the coolest feature, it makes farming a breeze and even cuts down on the monotony of walking through these giant cities. It also encourages me to figure out the best Gambit combos, as an ill-prepared Benny Hill squad can get rekt so fast.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The "speed mode" is the coolest feature, it makes farming a breeze and even cuts down on the monotony of walking through these giant cities. It also encourages me to figure out the best Gambit combos, as an ill-prepared Benny Hill squad can get rekt so fast.
I'm around 60 hours now and have been playing at the fastest battle speed, active mode, 4x speed nearly the whole time. It's nice.

So cat ear hoods and turtleshell chokers really break the game, huh. I can cast break with one character, heal with another, and steal with the third and basically just leave my game on with no downsides until everyone is level 99. I get more than enough Gil back for each kill that I only get more and more rich.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I played through a good chunk of this game's original release, a bit of the IZJS re-release, and am roughly 60 or so hours into Zodiac Age. I have like 9000 license points accumulated on everyone and 2 license boards complete for every character. It feels like there is less to fill out this time. Is that the case? Maybe I've become better at actually getting LP, maybe the 4x speed option has made clearing the boards trivial. I've just entered the Hennes Mines and it feels like my character progression is complete. In a way that's cool, my characters can each fulfill their roles well. But at the same time it's a little unsatisfying to have completed this so early. I have been returning to Rabanastre often to get new hunts so I've spent quite a bit of time off the beaten trail. It's cool to be rewarded for that but it feels like... now what? I have a bunch of cat ear hoods on everyone and the game feels broken. I can cast magic as Gil and am virtually unbeatable.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I played through a good chunk of this game's original release, a bit of the IZJS re-release, and am roughly 60 or so hours into Zodiac Age. I have like 9000 license points accumulated on everyone and 2 license boards complete for every character. It feels like there is less to fill out this time. Is that the case? Maybe I've become better at actually getting LP, maybe the 4x speed option has made clearing the boards trivial. I've just entered the Hennes Mines and it feels like my character progression is complete. In a way that's cool, my characters can each fulfill their roles well. But at the same time it's a little unsatisfying to have completed this so early. I have been returning to Rabanastre often to get new hunts so I've spent quite a bit of time off the beaten trail. It's cool to be rewarded for that but it feels like... now what? I have a bunch of cat ear hoods on everyone and the game feels broken. I can cast magic as Gil and am virtually unbeatable.

Looking at the rest your posts in the thread, you've done a ton of extra grinding. Level 35 after Raithwall, 60 on the Ozmone Plain. Even with tackling the extra content, those levels are incredibly high for their respective points in the game, meaning you'd also have a huge surplus of LP as well. FFXII is very open in terms of JRPGs, especially when it comes to equipment. There's plenty of super powerful equipment available before its' "time" by going to high level areas early or doing some specific grinding. It's sounds like you've done that as well.

So now you have super overleveled characters with their License Boards complete (meaning every Augment) and some early gained powerful equipment, of course the game is going to seem a bit broken.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the rest your posts in the thread, you've done a ton of extra grinding. Level 35 after Raithwall, 60 on the Ozmone Plain. Even with tackling the extra content, those levels are incredibly high for their respective points in the game, meaning you'd also have a huge surplus of LP as well. FFXII is very open in terms of JRPGs, especially when it comes to equipment. There's plenty of super powerful equipment available before its' "time" by going to high level areas early or doing some specific grinding. It's sounds like you've done that as well.

So now you have super overleveled characters with their License Boards complete (meaning every Augment) and some early gained powerful equipment, of course the game is going to seem a bit broken.
I don't feel like I have spent too much time specifically grinding. But I've explored each new area end to end as soon as it's become available. Westersand, Garamsythe, Nabudis. Grabbed as much loot as I could as early as I could. I'm not blaming the game for me being over-leveled, but I did this same thing on my other play throughs and don't remember completing the boards this early. It feels like there is less to fill out this time, but it could be my memory is failing me.

The changes to the cat-ear hood are, I believe, specific to Zodiac Age, and it's the ability to use Gil as MP in particular that feels broken. Since there are other accessories that allow you to convert LP to Gil there are no downsides to casting endless magic. I don't know how to feel about this—it's cool, but at the same time it feels like more restrictions should exist.

A funny thing, despite my high levels I barely ever make it past the Mindflayer stage of trial mode. What is that, like 18/100? They cast stop on my party and I have no counter. I only have a single accessory that prevents stop so only one character can be immune. They do chip damage til everyone is dead.

Last edited:

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like I have spent too much time specifically grinding. But I've explored each new area end to end as soon as it's become available. Westersand, Garamsythe, Nabudis. Grabbed as much loot as I could as early as I could. I'm not blaming the game for me being over-leveled, but I did this same thing on my other play throughs and don't remember completing the boards this early. It feels like there is less to fill out this time, but it could be my memory is failing me.

The original board required about 13,000 LP to complete and most jobs in ZA require about 7,000-8,000ish. Having two jobs doesn't mean double the amount though, since jobs share some licenses. There's also Esper and Quickening licenses that might not be unlocked by the player.

So with all that it's kind of hard to say, but peeking at the numbers it seems, to me, that it's actually fairly similar.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten the Gendarme shield on the Switch version of the game? Been trying to get it to spawn for about 2 hours and nothing.

Not on Switch but this is on XB1X

if it wasn't for this post I would have been done with that awful place but nope... forced myself back into that place and tried a few hours and at best got a Meteorite the last couple of days. Today and just now instead of loading up the auto save file I loaded up my normal save at the crystal ran back and forth a few times and then a chest appeared.

Did a one party Balthier
QuTp7fT.png

ran back and forth a couple of time then this appeared so I decided to self inflict pain possibly 9 times (one of those attacks was a 4 hit combo)...
Iv3f2xG.png

then....
Qv09Xnm.png

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Not on Switch but this is on XB1X

if it wasn't for this post I would have been done with that awful place but nope... forced myself back into that place and tried a few hours and at best got a Meteorite the last couple of days. Today and just now instead of loading up the auto save file I loaded up my normal save at the crystal ran back and forth a few times and then a chest appeared.

Did a one party Balthier
QuTp7fT.png

ran back and forth a couple of time then this appeared so I decided to self inflict pain possibly 9 times (one of those attacks was a 4 hit combo)...
Iv3f2xG.png

then....
Qv09Xnm.png
C'mon man, don't give me hope. 😪

Also, I'm surprised that RNG manipulation worked...

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017

Amazing. I beat the game in 45 hours with an average level of 39 or 40. Nabudis or whatever was still way too hard for me. I did about 28 hunts I think.

Really cool how we all approach games differently.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I just got this for £35 (Switch) second hand at game. Never had the chance to play through this FF properly before. I'm up to speed on the revisions to the game and know they resolved the qualms I had with the game back in the day.

Enjoying the experience, definitely the black sheep of the series (in a good way). Amazing how vast it is. Once you get your full squad, you can effectively down tools for a good portion of the story and just go fighting things!

I find the FMV display a bit weird, where you just have this lower letterbox bar where the subtitles display. I remember the FMV on PS2 looked even weirder.

Build element is quite overwhelming, but I'm just going for it. Being able to respec via Montblanc is a nice safety net. Now it is about setting up my gambit strategy. Hard to get that balance where someone like Vaan isn't just stuck stealing from things which are empty, or someone spends an entire patch using cure without doing any attacking.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
How does this perform on Switch portable?
It's pretty great, but a little blurry. It's as if there is a filter over the image that smears everything just a bit. It's crisp when docked.

It's pretty fantastic as a portable game to be honest. Sometimes I grin while playing it just thinking about the scope of what can be done on handheld platforms nowadays.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Replaying this after a lifetime on the Switch and i'm having a blast, the x4 speed is a blessing and it runs great.

Question for jobs: if i unlock an ability (let's say black magic lv3) then reset the license board and move to another job the character loses the ability to use those spell right (unless they are on the new board as well of course)?

Is there a list for the best farming spots (Loot/exp/LP) for all the areas?
I remember some from when i played it at 13 but just bits.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
After playing the game for the first time almost 13 years ago, I finally beat the game last night.

I have to say, though FF12 is better than any other Final Fantasy game on PS2, PS3 or PS4, it still doesn't quite capture the magic of the PS1 Final Fantasy games. I both liked and hated the gambit system at the same time(it's much better than the battle system used in FF15), I really didn't like the story, way too complicated made even more complicated by the complicated names the writers decided to give major NPCs, and I thought the music was actually a big step down from the PS1 games. The final section + boss was pretty anticlimactic and I didn't even realize that I beat the final boss until the cutscenes and credits started rolling.

Overall, it's still a really good game, but it wasn't as good as I remembered it back in 2006.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone. I asked this question recently about Xenoblade remake. I am curious about this game too. Is this game hard to get back into if I havent played it in a few months, such as remembe what quests I was working on, weapons/skills that I was working on developing. I had this problem with Vagrant Story. I loved the game, but if I stopped playing, I would later have to start fresh if I put down for a few months.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to finish this game I really like it But I am so bad at finish stuff. At the part when you need to talk to certain people in town maybe 2/3 though. Either way it's a hoot on the X

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through this on Switch. I remember loving it back when it came out and I'm glad it's holding up wonderfully. I can't even imagine playing it at the standard speed. I've been exploring as much as I can after every story beat, clearly going places I'm not yet meant to go to. Over leveling but still getting beat up in that disease filled swamp and brutal tomb....with a bunch of doors I can't open yet. At least there are some new spells there and I remember the crazy spear being here....somewhere.
Obviously I remember things but not specifics. I've been able to get by for some time but I clearly haven't optimized my jobs or gambits.
How often did people find themselves changing jobs? What did everybody settle on?
Highest quickening combo? I think I got to 14 once so far. Can often get to 10.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I remember things but not specifics. I've been able to get by for some time but I clearly haven't optimized my jobs or gambits.
How often did people find themselves changing jobs? What did everybody settle on?

in terms of jobs at least you can reset as much as you want on switch and XB1 version. Even make the most unconventional job pairings if there are any. You will only need to to have optimum job pairings and gambits when going for the most powerful side bosses in the game.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through this on Switch. I remember loving it back when it came out and I'm glad it's holding up wonderfully. I can't even imagine playing it at the standard speed. I've been exploring as much as I can after every story beat, clearly going places I'm not yet meant to go to. Over leveling but still getting beat up in that disease filled swamp and brutal tomb....with a bunch of doors I can't open yet. At least there are some new spells there and I remember the crazy spear being here....somewhere.

I change and experiment jobs all the time...it is a god-send for FF12 job system. Shame that PS4 didn't get this feature....

julian

Oct 27, 2017
in terms of jobs at least you can reset as much as you want on switch and XB1 version. Even make the most unconventional job pairings if there are any. You will only need to to have optimum job pairings and gambits when going for the most powerful side bosses in the game.
Oh I've changed a couple of times. But I feel like I made a bad combo lately. Was just curious what people were rocking.

I change and experiment jobs all the time...it is a god-send for FF12 job system. Shame that PS4 didn't get this feature....
What the hell?! Why not?!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell?! Why not?!

Was an addition in the later Switch port. Originally, jobs were unchangeable commitments in IZJS and by extension The Zodiac Age, and they were balanced around that.

Additionally, each character could originally only have one job, which was thrown out-of-balance by TZA giving access to secondary jobs. So in TZA, no matter which combination of jobs you picked for your characters, you were going to be overpowered.

Now, in the Switch version of TZA, you're overpowered with flexibility. Very nice QoL addition, but less necessary than it appears at face value.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably the only person on the planet who kind of disliked the option to change jobs.

It really reminds me of the vanilla game where everyone can do everything and it definitely ruined the fun of coming up with powerful and fun job combinations (regardless of how necessary it is) since the "best" job depends on what you're fighting at the time or whatever hits a power spike and you just change the entire party over to that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm carrying on my playthrough of this (just visited Eruyt Village for the first time) and I feel like I should properly try to get my head around gambits, and sort them out properly, but I don't really know where to start.

My biggest issue is that I don't really understand how priority works, if that makes sense. Like, I don't want to know the "best setups", because figuring out my own stuff is the best part, but I can't tell if it's working correctly half the time.

I'm away from the game at the moment, so I can't recall the actual gambit setups off the top of my head, or if a single character can learn all these, but just roll with it lol, but let's say I wanted Ashe (WM/Archer) to:
  • Cast Shell and Protect on my party when the battle starts
  • Attack with my bow whenever I'm not healing
  • Prioritize flying enemies
  • Use Cura when an allies health drops below 40%
  • Use Esuna when an ally has any status condition, and is below a certain amount of health
  • Raise a dead ally
  • Use gold needle when anyone is inflicted with petrify
  • Use ether on self when low on MP
  • Steal from the strongest enemy
Again, this is completely hypothetical lol, but what would stop her from just trying to steal continuously rather than attack, considering as long as there's an enemy, there's technically always a strongest enemy? Or vice versa if there's a flying enemy, would she just focus on attacking that non stop without trying to steal from a stronger enemy?

Also, does the order count in terms of priority?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm carrying on my playthrough of this (just visited Eruyt Village for the first time) and I feel like I should properly try to get my head around gambits, and sort them out properly, but I don't really know where to start.

My biggest issue is that I don't really understand how priority works, if that makes sense. Like, I don't want to know the "best setups", because figuring out my own stuff is the best part, but I can't tell if it's working correctly half the time.

I'm away from the game at the moment, so I can't recall the actual gambit setups off the top of my head, or if a single character can learn all these, but just roll with it lol, but let's say I wanted Ashe (WM/Archer) to:
  • Use Esuna when an ally has any status condition, and is below a certain amount of health
  • Raise a dead ally
Again, this is completely hypothetical lol, but what would stop her from just trying to steal continuously rather than attack, considering as long as there's an enemy, there's technically always a strongest enemy? Or vice versa if there's a flying enemy, would she just focus on attacking that non stop without trying to steal from a stronger enemy?

Order count does matter for priority. If you're familiar with programming, think of the gambit list as a series of if statements. It runs top to bottom.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Order count does matter for priority. If you're familiar with programming, think of the gambit list as a series of if statements. It runs top to bottom.

Right, so if two functions overlap, say attack strongest and steal from strongest, it'll always prioritize the higher positioned gambit, and therefore I should think of a way to do the same thing under a different condition, i.e. attack strongest and steal when strongest enemy is asleep?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

• Raise a dead ally

You need to work around the steal gambit. For example you can do a foe HP=100% -> steal, meaning that they at least get one shot before your party attacks the monster and then the character that steals will go to the next gambit in line. Your character wouldn't stop stealing if it's just strongest enemy because as you said, there is always a strongest enemy.

If you put the attack flying enemy gambit higher than the steal gambit, they will attack the flying enemy and never steal until that flying enemy is defeated and there is a grounded enemy to steal from in the same battle.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
You need to work around the steal gambit. For example you can do a foe HP=100% -> steal, meaning that they at least get one shot before your party attacks the monster and then the character that steals will go to the next gambit in line. Your character wouldn't stop stealing if it's just strongest enemy because as you said, there is always a strongest enemy.

If you put the attack flying enemy gambit higher than the steal gambit, they will attack the flying enemy and never steal until that flying enemy is defeated and there is a grounded enemy to steal from in the same battle.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I have Vaan set to steal at 100% Enemy HP already. I'll have to sort them out properly tonight and post them here to see if there's anything in there that's not functioning correctly, even if it is unoptimal as hell.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I have Vaan set to steal at 100% Enemy HP already. I'll have to sort them out properly tonight and post them here to see if there's anything in there that's not functioning correctly, even if it is unoptimal as hell.
Gambits are a little game in themselves. I really like them, and would love to see them revisited.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any benefit to spreading out my espers so that every party member has at least one? Looking at the party planner, and Ashe on Knight/TBM gets a lot out of like 4 of them.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any benefit to spreading out my espers so that every party member has at least one? Looking at the party planner, and Ashe on Knight/TBM gets a lot out of like 4 of them.
no, except that you can use more of them in one fight I guess. It's very useful when things are turning to shit and you need an esper to tank damage while you revive your teammates. It can also deal a lot of damage depending on elemental weaknesses. But spamming espers is such an edge case that it's much better to allocate them where you think you rcharacters will benefit the most from license nodes it opens up

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
no, except that you can use more of them in one fight I guess. It's very useful when things are turning to shit and you need an esper to tank damage while you revive your teammates. It can also deal a lot of damage depending on elemental weaknesses. But spamming espers is such an edge case that it's much better to allocate them where you think you rcharacters will benefit the most from license nodes it opens up

Thanks. "Optimally" distributing them for license board gains makes it so that two characters don't get a single one. Was a bit unsure whether that's a bad idea or not. But I suppose I'll just roll with it if it's not that big a deal.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, I know this is horribly unoptomised, but I just want to know what's not working here (maybe ignore Balthier because he's a mess lmao):

sketch1582120151810ycjan.png

sketch1582120237022xzjns.png

I swapped Vaan's vanish from what it there to using when an ally hits 20% HP, because he was just spam vanishing Larsa with that lol, and I can see that Fran's fira/oil combo needs changing. I guess something like putting:
Fira on oiled enemy
Use oil on enemy weak to fire

That way she'll throw oil on something weak to fire, but because fira is above, she'll then focus on casting that on them until they're dead/the oil wears off, correct?

Again, I don't really want optimal builds, I just want to know what here wouldn't actually function, and what's stopping it from working.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a point where you going to have to make gambits based on the job and have certain characters be the designated main healer and buffer while a 2nd character do the healing as back up ie Ally: HP < 30% cura etc. The rest of the party will be the main DPS and tank classes.

In many ways you are setting up a chain of commands where the game can basically look after itself while you read posts on ERA... :o
EDIT

Thread made me load game back up and realise I need to farm an extra embroidered Tippets

i9387Ha.png

E49MzVz.png

BDirQDV.png

1GRaDJW.png

NNNnA1K.png

MC63TNa.png

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
OK, I know this is horribly unoptomised, but I just want to know what's not working here (maybe ignore Balthier because he's a mess lmao):

sketch1582120151810ycjan.png

sketch1582120237022xzjns.png

I swapped Vaan's vanish from what it there to using when an ally hits 20% HP, because he was just spam vanishing Larsa with that lol, and I can see that Fran's fira/oil combo needs changing. I guess something like putting:
Fira on oiled enemy

That way she'll throw oil on something weak to fire, but because fira is above, she'll then focus on casting that on them until they're dead/the oil wears off, correct?

Again, I don't really want optimal builds, I just want to know what here wouldn't actually function, and what's stopping it from working.
Vaan: Cura is never going off during a fight since there will always be a foe with the lowest HP. Unless you want to only heal outside of battle, they should be above any attack gambit.

Balthier: First Aid is worthless, get rid of it. Numerology will only be used instead of the attack gambit just below. Infuse will not be used unless it is outside of battle, you need to yank that up.

Fran: There will always be someone with max MP, so she will just spam Silence. Same thing for Gravity. There are too situational to pair with gambits but if you want, use percentages instead: foe HP=100% -> Gravity for example. There will always be someone with highest speed so she will always use slow, however that gambit is below fira so she will only use it if your leader didn't target anyone yet. Why use Thundara if HP below 50%?

Basch: Potion and Infuse will only trigger if there is nobody to attack, so put that up.

Ashe: You're telling her to attack a flying enemy first and the furthest enemy second which I can get. Other than that she does her healing job except that ally gambit also includes "self" so it's just redundant. You got Ally: any -> Esuna right because the system automatically cures whenever an ally has any status ailments that is in the list of things Esuna can cure, so you don't have a gambit for every thing. Same thing for your two cura gambits. Other than that, it's fine.

Penelo: It's fine, not much there but it's fine.

Fira on oiled enemy

Yes, this means she won't use Fira until an enemy weak to fire has been oiled, then she will go to the previosu gambit which is to use Fira on an oiled enemy. Only "issue" is that you won't do it with more than one enemy (because when one enemy has been oiled, the first gambit condition has been satisfied), so you can reverse it if you want to make sure that every enemy weak to fire has been oiled and THEN you use Fira on them.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if anyone is watching this thread but I need some advice. My characters are all around level 50 and I am up to the last mission. Before I go ahead and finish the game I am wondering which optional quests, items etc. are worth going after. I have done a few optional espers and all hunts up to rank VI but it seems like the remaining espers and level VII hunts are better attempted at a higher level. Those could be fun, but I don't anticipate the grind up to ~60 or even 70 to be a lot of fun. It also seems like getting the best items tends to involve grinding in the hopes of a 3% drop rate on items needed for the bazaar. As someone who finds grinding a chore, is there much fun left in going after some of these end game tasks or should I just finish the story?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Now live in Game Pass:

Buy FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE | Xbox

Return to the world of Ivalice This HD remaster is based on the smash hit 12th instalment of the FINAL FANTASY series, which has shipped over 6M units worldwide, featuring a new, re-worked game design! Not only have the graphics and sound been updated to take advantage of the power of new...

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all, this game is amazing.

I borrowed this from a friend back when it came out and hated it (probably because I was young and impatient). When it came to Game Pass, I decided to give it another shot, not thinking I'd get very far.

First thing that really drew me in was the art style. It has a kind of painterly flair with the highlights on characters and eyelashes that almost look like brush strokes. I don't know if I've seen another game I could really compare it to graphics-wise, which I appreciated.

Then I started to notice the voice acting. Vaan and Penelo were actually really chill and likeable? I even liked Migelo. Everyone was so different and well acted. Once Balthier and Fran showed up, though--WHEW, I was all in. I've only known Fran as "the bunny girl" this whole time, but holy shit, her voice acting made her character so unique, mysterious, and cool. I kinda wish she was wearing pants or something, but what a great character that I had mostly dismissed for so long. Balthier is just awesome. Suave and full of heart. Also, there's some sort of effect over the dialogue that makes it all sound kind of...magical or from a storybook? It's hard to explain. Something to do with the acoustics, maybe? Whatever it was also made the game even more special. I decided to see if all of this had been talked about more and found this thread, which was super interesting to read.

The combat was not my favorite at the beginning, but everything else about the game kept me coming back. Once I got some skills unlocked and gambits set up, it was pretty satisfying! I think FFVII Remake still has my favorite combat in the series, only because I prefer the more action-oriented approach.

After beating it tonight, I'm so happy I decided to try it again after all this time. I might go back in and explore a little more, try out some harder hunts, maybe dabble in NG+ a bit.

TL;DR: Great game, best acted FF

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all, this game is amazing.

I borrowed this from a friend back when it came out and hated it (probably because I was young and impatient). When it came to Game Pass, I decided to give it another shot, not thinking I'd get very far.

First thing that really drew me in was the art style. It has a kind of painterly flair with the highlights on characters and eyelashes that almost look like brush strokes. I don't know if I've seen another game I could really compare it to graphics-wise, which I appreciated.

Then I started to notice the voice acting. Vaan and Penelo were actually really chill and likeable? I even liked Migelo. Everyone was so different and well acted. Once Balthier and Fran showed up, though--WHEW, I was all in. I've only known Fran as "the bunny girl" this whole time, but holy shit, her voice acting made her character so unique, mysterious, and cool. I kinda wish she was wearing pants or something, but what a great character that I had mostly dismissed for so long. Balthier is just awesome. Suave and full of heart. Also, there's some sort of effect over the dialogue that makes it all sound kind of...magical or from a storybook? It's hard to explain. Something to do with the acoustics, maybe? Whatever it was also made the game even more special. I decided to see if all of this had been talked about more and found this thread, which was super interesting to read.

The combat was not my favorite at the beginning, but everything else about the game kept me coming back. Once I got some skills unlocked and gambits set up, it was pretty satisfying! I think FFVII Remake still has my favorite combat in the series, only because I prefer the more action-oriented approach.

After beating it tonight, I'm so happy I decided to try it again after all this time. I might go back in and explore a little more, try out some harder hunts, maybe dabble in NG+ a bit.

TL;DR: Great game, best acted FF
I'm glad you enjoyed it! The voice effect was due to voice compression because of disk space but I kinda like it. Or maybe I got really used to it.

Doing hunts might be worth it as some stories there are quite cool and reveal more about how Vaan's hunting uplifts the people around him. You also unlock some previously locked areas on top of sectioned off areas. Might as well check the wikis are completing hunts unlock hidden rewards

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad you enjoyed it! The voice effect was due to voice compression because of disk space but I kinda like it. Or maybe I got really used to it.

Doing hunts might be worth it as some stories there are quite cool and reveal more about how Vaan's hunting uplifts the people around him. You also unlock some previously locked areas on top of sectioned off areas. Might as well check the wikis are completing hunts unlock hidden rewards
Ah, compression makes sense! I still really liked the way that made everything sound, haha. Kinda wish it was in the FMVs as well. And I will definitely check out the hunts now, thanks!