• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the game from the Japan eShop. Played it on PS2 when it first came out and enjoyed it. Just never beat it.

This was one of the games I was excited about and to be able to play it on the go makes me happy. High chance I'll actually get farther/beat it now lol.

Here are some screenshots from Handheld mode:

2019042818082700-046c3fkrm.jpg

2019042818211800-046ciok32.jpg

2019042818252500-046c70jq6.jpg

2019042818274400-046c4ok50.jpg

Still in the beginning but I haven't come across any slowdown or issues.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the game from the Japan eShop. Played it on PS2 when it first came out and enjoyed it. Just never beat it.

This was one of the games I was excited about and to be able to play it on the go makes me happy. High chance I'll actually get farther/beat it now lol.

Here are some screenshots from Handheld mode:

2019042818082700-046c3fkrm.jpg

2019042818211800-046ciok32.jpg

2019042818252500-046c70jq6.jpg

2019042818274400-046c4ok50.jpg

Still in the beginning but I haven't come across any slowdown or issues.

Looks nice.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Downloaded and ready on the Switch. This will be my first time playing this title...in bed.
Any advice for a first timer?
The party planner that I linked earlier is useful if you want to know who gets what in an orderly fashion.
Pressing left joystick gives you an overlay of the map during, very useful and seamless
The clan primer has a section called "Traveler's Tips", it actually has useful info in there, especially in regards to what main stat weapon uses for their damage modifiers (some are focused on speed, some are focused on magic, and also strength)
Hunts is a huge part of the game and gives good rewards, it's worth doing them as you come across. The Clan leader gives elite hunts so check it from time to time
You have 199 save files available, use them

NPCs have something new to say after almost every story beat and they say some very interesting stuff that helps you contextualize the world and the story. Speak to folks as much as you can, it's also well-written interactions too.
Stealing is very good in this game, make a point of stealing whenevr you can. Do it manually or use a makeshift gambit such as Foe: HP 100% -> Steal, so your character gets a chance to steal at least once.
You don't get gils from enemies but loot ! Sell your loot, and that's also why stealing is important. There isn't anything worth keeping from the loot 99% of the time (the 1% is the Serpentskin from Niddhog, keep it for a sidequest, and even then it's not important because the sidequest ends regardless of you giving the loot to the quest giver). Check the description of loot too, they flesh out the world of Ivalice.
All jobs are good, so don't be afraid to experiment especially since you now have the ability to relinquish a job to get another with all your licence points refunded
English dub is the best, it's very very *very* good
Bestiary has a lot of world-building in it. If you kill enough of one type of enemy, you get extra lore-related pages that fleshes out the world, it's really cool
Don't be seduced by the strength of axes and hammers, they deal random damage from 1 to whatever their strength are. It's a gambling game with them and not the strongest type of weapons. Still good though (I'm using it with Vaan)
You're better off leveling all your characters than focusing on three. It's more involving and you can swap out your characters to the people in your reserve should they die. So having 6 fully stocked characters that can hold their own can save your skin.
Buy gambits early so you can experiment with them, they're inexpensive
Exploring always rewards you with interesting things, and since it auto-saves at every zone transition, you don't risk a lot for doing so.
Libra or an accessory with Libra is almost mandatory, this game has mean traps and it also allows you to know the HP, lvels and weaknesses of your foes. Required
There hardly any missables this time around so just enjoy the game
Explore to your heart's content but don't miss track of the story. It demands a lot of focus from the player because a lot of things is happening and the game isn't in the mind of putting you up to speed or giving you flashbacks. Either you get it or you don't, so keep track of what's going on, watch some previous cutscenes on youtube if you need a refresher
The three music options switches seamlessly so it's very fun to hear what has changed, just don't forget to put it back to reorchestrated (imo the best one)

The best tip is also that you have full control of the gameplay system. So you are the main designer of the game. You have options: in the option menu, wait makes it so time is paused when you input commands, active makes it so that time runs out even during menus. You can also adjust battle speed to your liking, putting it to the rightmost makes the ATB gauge flows the fastest. If you want fast gameplay, do that. Gambits is also your job, you can make it so that your characters are killing machines that only needs light inputs from you, or you can make it so that you only want it to take care of the tedious parts while you focus on the fun part, you can also disable it altogether. Don't get in the mindset of automating everything as if the game demands it from you, there is no reward for that. Just think about what kind of setup will be more fun for you and plan your strategy around it and you'll have a fun time. Just don't make it unfun for yourself. It has a deep battle system but it requires an open mind from the player to do what is beneficial for them. If you can do that, there is a lot to enjoy because it is the deepest battle system of the franchise alongside FFT and FFV in my opinion.

I think that's pretty much all bases covered

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Just like FFX/X-2, I'm amped to have this on a portable via Switch. But the notion of triple (or for FFX, quadruple!)-dipping turns me off, and so does the crazy price tag for this. $59.99 CDN for a single-game remaster. It's too much, even for such a great game. I'll wait for the inevitable sale toward Christmas.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
So wait...

New Game Plus in the initial releases of FFXII:Zodiac were actually basically Game Genie runs of the game? It sounds like the mode just boosted every character to Level 90. But the mode is changed in the Switch/XB1 releases? Having a hard time finding concrete info on this.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Bounced off the original PS2 release after about an hour. Felt good about the changes in TZA so grabbed it on PS4 and was having an awesome time with it but it just came out at a bad time because my kid was born around then, I pretty much moved all of my gaming to the Switch full time (also fell off Persona 5 for that reason but that's another story....).

Really excited to see the preload activate on tuesday and dive back in! Been referencing charts and stuff to plan my jobs.

With jobs being changeable in the release, does anyone happen to know if Espers are stuck with who you assign them on or can you swap them around too?

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing OT and OT title!

As someone who couldn't get through the original because of the grind, do the speed options and international system improve this?

Absolutely! It makes it pretty hard to go back to the original game after having the speed options. For me, I never had TZA on fast forward for 100% of my exploration, but I ended up using the speed settings as a 'run' option, if that makes sense. It was great to be able to turn off the fast forward so easily with the press of a button: I'd turn it on for trash mobs and exploring large distances, but turn the speed back to normal for boss battles/hunts or for enemies in the field that were a bit more dangerous. I've never even had it on the fastest speed setting, and it was still game changing.

Preordered the switch version and can't wait to play it for the first time!
Which dub is better? Japanese or English?

The English localization is easily one of the best dubs ever, between writing and voice acting, it's absolutely superb. The original Japanese cast are great, but FFXII's dub is pretty special, and definitely worth checking out.

With jobs being changeable in the release, does anyone happen to know if Espers are stuck with who you assign them on or can you swap them around too?

That's a really great question. I'd assumed that if the job board reset, you'd lose your Espers for that character, but that might not necessarily be the case. (Picking the right Esper for each job is even more stressful than picking the job combinations for each character, lol.)

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played since original release, looking forward to this on switch

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a recommended OST to use of the options given? I can't really recall much about the music in this one.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The English localization is easily one of the best dubs ever, between writing and voice acting, it's absolutely superb. The original Japanese cast are great, but FFXII's dub is pretty special, and definitely worth checking out.
I know the one who voices Blathier also voices the Gekko from the Geico commercials (Gideon Emery).

Edit: I could be wrong.

Last edited:

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Just pre-purchased from the eshop. This is one of the few non-MMO Final Fantasy games I never had a chance to play. I'm excited about diving into it on my Switch.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
The party planner that I linked earlier is useful if you want to know who gets what in an orderly fashion.
Pressing left joystick gives you an overlay of the map during, very useful and seamless
The clan primer has a section called "Traveler's Tips", it actually has useful info in there, especially in regards to what main stat weapon uses for their damage modifiers (some are focused on speed, some are focused on magic, and also strength)
Hunts is a huge part of the game and gives good rewards, it's worth doing them as you come across. The Clan leader gives elite hunts so check it from time to time
You have 199 save files available, use them

NPCs have something new to say after almost every story beat and they say some very interesting stuff that helps you contextualize the world and the story. Speak to folks as much as you can, it's also well-written interactions too.
Stealing is very good in this game, make a point of stealing whenevr you can. Do it manually or use a makeshift gambit such as Foe: HP 100% -> Steal, so your character gets a chance to steal at least once.
You don't get gils from enemies but loot ! Sell your loot, and that's also why stealing is important. There isn't anything worth keeping from the loot 99% of the time (the 1% is the Serpentskin from Niddhog, keep it for a sidequest, and even then it's not important because the sidequest ends regardless of you giving the loot to the quest giver). Check the description of loot too, they flesh out the world of Ivalice.
All jobs are good, so don't be afraid to experiment especially since you now have the ability to relinquish a job to get another with all your licence points refunded
English dub is the best, it's very very *very* good
Bestiary has a lot of world-building in it. If you kill enough of one type of enemy, you get extra lore-related pages that fleshes out the world, it's really cool
Don't be seduced by the strength of axes and hammers, they deal random damage from 1 to whatever their strength are. It's a gambling game with them and not the strongest type of weapons. Still good though (I'm using it with Vaan)
You're better off leveling all your characters than focusing on three. It's more involving and you can swap out your characters to the people in your reserve should they die. So having 6 fully stocked characters that can hold their own can save your skin.
Buy gambits early so you can experiment with them, they're inexpensive
Exploring always rewards you with interesting things, and since it auto-saves at every zone transition, you don't risk a lot for doing so.
Libra or an accessory with Libra is almost mandatory, this game has mean traps and it also allows you to know the HP, lvels and weaknesses of your foes. Required
There hardly any missables this time around so just enjoy the game
Explore to your heart's content but don't miss track of the story. It demands a lot of focus from the player because a lot of things is happening and the game isn't in the mind of putting you up to speed or giving you flashbacks. Either you get it or you don't, so keep track of what's going on, watch some previous cutscenes on youtube if you need a refresher
The three music options switches seamlessly so it's very fun to hear what has changed, just don't forget to put it back to reorchestrated (imo the best one)

The best tip is also that you have full control of the gameplay system. So you are the main designer of the game. You have options: in the option menu, wait makes it so time is paused when you input commands, active makes it so that time runs out even during menus. You can also adjust battle speed to your liking, putting it to the rightmost makes the ATB gauge flows the fastest. If you want fast gameplay, do that. Gambits is also your job, you can make it so that your characters are killing machines that only needs light inputs from you, or you can make it so that you only want it to take care of the tedious parts while you focus on the fun part, you can also disable it altogether. Don't get in the mindset of automating everything as if the game demands it from you, there is no reward for that. Just think about what kind of setup will be more fun for you and plan your strategy around it and you'll have a fun time. Just don't make it unfun for yourself. It has a deep battle system but it requires an open mind from the player to do what is beneficial for them. If you can do that, there is a lot to enjoy because it is the deepest battle system of the franchise alongside FFT and FFV in my opinion.

I think that's pretty much all bases covered
Damn. Thanks so much for all the info. I'll look for the link you mentioned too. I'm excited for the 30th and getting back into a deep RPG. It's been too long.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So wait...

New Game Plus in the initial releases of FFXII:Zodiac were actually basically Game Genie runs of the game? It sounds like the mode just boosted every character to Level 90. But the mode is changed in the Switch/XB1 releases? Having a hard time finding concrete info on this.

No one knows yet but I think you can keep most of your inventory from previous playthroughs now
How hard is it? Only Ff I've beaten is 15. I want to try it but I'm fearful of big difficulty spikes, etc
It's pretty easy but gets a bit challenging in the latter half and for hunts. Nothing insurmountable though

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
This is my favorite game and I'm glad more people get to play it but man am I salty those new features are not coming to the PS4 version.

It's almost pushing me into buying a Nintendo Switch.

Great great game

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
Do we have official word on this? The game has some very aggressive post-processing effects that makes it look blurrier than it should be, even on PS4.

Just my eyes. It's clearly not 720p. It has indeed aggressive post-processing effects but you can differentiate them from the lack of native resolution. But is not that low, should be very close to 720p, it still looks nice.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I take it the battle menu input lag is still present? It drove me nuts in the PS4 version, ended up automating everything as much as possible so I'd never have to access it lol.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I take it the battle menu input lag is still present? It drove me nuts in the PS4 version, ended up automating everything as much as possible so I'd never have to access it lol.
huh? there is no input lag that I can feel, it's pretty much the same as the PS2 version. Maybe your TV is the issue?

edit: Actually I never played it on PS4, but the PC version and Switch feels the same. If there is input lag in battle menu it is not as bad as FFX

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered and preloaded on the Switch!

When this originally came out, I remember buying the steelbook edition. At the time I was addicted to Ragnarok Online, so I only played roughly 3-4 hours IIRC. So I'm excited to jump back in and finally experience this masterpiece.

I'll follow the thread and will most likely be asking lots of questions over the next week.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do summons work in ff12? and how do you get them? Do you find them or just gain more by lvling your job?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
How do summons work in ff12? and how do you get them? Do you find them or just gain more by lvling your job?
You get your first one through the story and a lot of the subsequent one too. There are also espers that are obtainable through side content later on.

Summoning the esper puts you with the summoner and the esper while the two other party members are put in the reserve, they fight for you but now you can control them directly. Also you can immediately use their ultimate attacks instead of having to trigger arcane conditions.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Man, watched some PC 60fps footage and yeah, I really hope XB1X hits that cause... it's like an entirely different game :)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You get your first one through the story and a lot of the subsequent one too. There are also espers that are obtainable through side content later on.

Summoning the esper puts you with the summoner and the esper while the two other party members are put in the reserve, they fight for you but now you can control them directly. Also you can immediately use their ultimate attacks instead of having to trigger arcane conditions.
Are they worth using or do they become weak by the end game compared to other attacks?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Are they worth using or do they become weak by the end game compared to other attacks?
They are good, they saved my ass for some bosses though the end-game espers are obviously more powerful than the early ones. They are elemental too so it's worth it when you know enemies has an elemental weakness.

I couldn't have done The King Bomb without Mateus.
If you are in deep shit, using a summon is also beneficial because you can take the time to revive and heal your party members in the reserve while your esper is soaking up the damage

Oct 25, 2017
So what is the closest comparison as far as the battle system goes, AND is it constantly fun? I'm considering this game but I'm not really a fan of the turn based system in other FF games. I know this one is quite a bit different, but is the battle system more near to classic Final Fantasy style or is it something more like Xenoblade 2?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So what is the closest comparison as far as the battle system goes, AND is it constantly fun? I'm considering this game but I'm not really a fan of the turn based system in other FF games. I know this one is quite a bit different, but is the battle system more near to classic Final Fantasy style or is it something more like Xenoblade 2?

It's not classic FF. It's more-so like the Xenoblade games in the fact that it's like a single player MMO. You can choose to play it like a Xenoblade game or you can program your party to do certain actions based off the current conditions (Gambit system).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well Xenoblade 2 is like using four skills per blade, FFXII has you using the full gamut of skills directly available as you unlock them.

It's not that far removed from turn-based, you just do things in real-time (while having the option to pause the game when you open the menu). But you have a ton of options in FFXII, whereas you are super limited in Xenoblade 2. FFXII is not as flowchart-y as XB2, you can approach things however you want in a non-linear fashion.

It gets more fun as you unlock more stuff, so you should make a point of buying magic and techniques and gambits as much as you can, and also unlock mage jobs so you can use them, rather than focus on physical attackers only, or you'd be stuck mostly just attacking until you unlock the ability to unlock a second job per character.

But after that you can do anything you want, one of the popular job combos is a white mage with a gun, so...

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The closest thing that comes to mind would be KOTOR

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Enemy encounters are handled like Xenoblade. You see enemies in the field, attack or aggro them, then fight them in real time while moving in the field.

The range of abilities at your disposal, the ATB system for timing abilities, and the battle menu options are all out of Final Fantasy. You can use any ability or item at any time from the battle menu. You can also set certain abilities to trigger automatically based on a very big range of conditions (like healing with Potions or Cures when a character hits an HP %).

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Public Service Announcement:

This game has one of the best English dubs/localizations in video game history. Do NOT miss out on it by going with Japanese, it should be experienced at least once.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Please tell me there is a way to move cursor in menus with the analog on switch. PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A WAY.

I never realized this was a pet peeve of mine until this day.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the PS4 physical version for 13€, so i couldn't pass it up. And i'm glad i didn't.
For the banal experience i had so many years ago, i am very surprised.

I'm on the Leviathan Airship part right now, and really enjoying the story, so far. The characters are very likable and the voice acting is great. No anime annoying characters in sight yet. The voice acting is really something; the voices go very well with each character's appearance; even though the lip sync is kinda awful.
Larsa is so cute! The voice with the very slight lisp, oh!

The combat is cool, although i still feel i need to expand a bit more on the gambits to be able to take full advantage of the system.
Are the weapons only available on shops and random drops?
The gear progression is kinda wonky. I want to invest points to be able to use better gear, but there's no gear to be had.

The speed up option is a godsend. Game changer, really.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Y'all are really making me want to replay this on PS4. Whether we get the new features or not, this is still a great game and definitely worth revisiting.