• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unlikely to get to this anytime soon due to backlog, but there is something critical about the Switch port that was far more uncertain than it had any business being, and I'm glad to see it was properly addressed:

g6h1mknfhau21.jpg

No, not the language selection. The confirm button. The moment I heard this port was being handled with Virtuos, who completely bungled the button mapping on Dark Souls and has still not fixed it (last I heard), I made a mental note that I couldn't trust them to get something this basic right. On a Nintendo platform this should follow Nintendo standards, no questions asked, but that we have a setting at all is an improvement.

This needs to be patched into their Dark Souls port yesterday. (My understanding is that the setting exists, but is for some reason greyed out.)

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy coming in tomorrow! How long are we talking for an average playthrough the first time around?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to try the game I just don't think I have the time right now. Excited to see impressions though, I'll probably look at picking it up during the summer when I have more time.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming I have no previous experience with XII's soundtrack is there any sort of consensus on which of the soundtrack options is best?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's not just the resolution. Something weird is going on with the colors in handheld mode.
Ah, I see. It is bright in handheld.

Assuming I have no previous experience with XII's soundtrack is there any sort of consensus on which of the soundtrack options is best?
Re-orchestrated is lovely and sounds really grand. But you can seamlessly switch between the three options and they all pick up where the previous option left off so you can get a feel for yourself just for the sake of entertainment at least.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Is there any way to tell what time this is going to go live on e-shop? I won't have time to play tomorrow so I'm considering caffienating myself this evening to get first crack at it if it's a midnight launch but i dont want to be caught jittery and wired when it doesn't end up dropping lol

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may be a weird question but it matters to me.

Does the character menu run 60fps on switch? I belive it does on ps4...

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
With no previous experience, go with the remastered. I went with the OST one for nostalgia sake.

The remastered soundtrack in this is sooooooooo much better than the one in FFX
Yeah if I would ever play the X remaster I would have to go original since anything else would sound "wrong" but here I hardly remember what it sounds like so I have no expectations really.

For curiosity's sake what is the difference between Original and OST?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yeah if I would ever play the X remaster I would have to go original since anything else would sound "wrong" but here I hardly remember what it sounds like so I have no expectations really.

For curiosity's sake what is the difference between Original and OST?
Original is the original PS2 sound files, basically.
Reorchestrated is the new versions
OST is the higher quality version of the PS2

And as far as the X remaster, to me it wasn't just about sounding "wrong". It was basically that they drastically changed so many of the tracks that they were just inferior.

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm incredibly tempted to get this game. I played it very briefly on PS2. Can people post some good OST samples to push me over the edge?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
That's Sakimoto for you. The man is a master of his craft. His three collaborations with Matsuno have all been god tier (FFT / VS / FFXII)
It's funny how FF12 is lighter in tone but the Esper battle theme is the darkest battle theme he had made in Ivalice games.

I'm incredibly tempted to get this game. I played it very briefly on PS2. Can people post some good OST samples to push me over the edge?
I always love this dungeon theme, it's soothing and mystical at the same time. Like enjoying the scenery of forbidden grounds.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
hooray! my Switch copy showed up today!

I am tempted to just dive in and but IX on the backburner for now since this seems way more up my alley...but i dunnnnnnnno.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How good is the story in this compared to something like ff6 or ff7

Can someone give a general idea what it's about without giving spoilers

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't make sense.

The story is good but the second half of the game is kinda of a letdown thanks to the lack of cutscenes.
What doesn't make sense since the poster wanted an overview of the story?

There is a lot more cutscenes in the second half than what is given credits, there's just a lot of content in the back half when it comes to new areas and exploration. But with TZA it's not even a concern, fast forward that stuff if you are hungry for more story and you are done with in in a flash.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
My copy of FFXII for Switch just shipped! Can't wait to play this game!

I'm unlikely to get to this anytime soon due to backlog, but there is something critical about the Switch port that was far more uncertain than it had any business being, and I'm glad to see it was properly addressed:

g6h1mknfhau21.jpg

No, not the language selection. The confirm button. The moment I heard this port was being handled with Virtuos, who completely bungled the button mapping on Dark Souls and has still not fixed it (last I heard), I made a mental note that I couldn't trust them to get something this basic right. On a Nintendo platform this should follow Nintendo standards, no questions asked, but that we have a setting at all is an improvement.

This needs to be patched into their Dark Souls port yesterday. (My understanding is that the setting exists, but is for some reason greyed out.)
Have they patched Dark Souls Remastered on Switch yet? Having the option for "A" as the confirm button is an absoulte requirement for all games on the Nintendo platform.

Last edited:

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I forget. Could you navigate menus using the analog stick in the PS4 version? It feels lacking not being able to do so, but I can't recall if that's due to me getting used to it in that version, or because you actually could do so.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I forget. Could you navigate menus using the analog stick in the PS4 version? It feels lacking not being able to do so, but I can't recall if that's due to me getting used to it in that version, or because you actually could do so.
I'd assume the PS4 version would be identical to the PC version and in that one you can't navigate with the analog. I have to use the dpad to navigate the menus, start the game, etc.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Unsure if I'll be able to play a lot for some time, but pumped nonetheless to get this tomorrow. The reversible cover is just too lovely.

For what I understand about the gambit system, it looks like a deeper iteration of the Tales of series customizable party AI? And also, am I wrong in thinking this has a similar vibe to XC? Both the combat system and some armor details remind me of that game, but I don't want to see/hear too much of FFXII before playing it myself.

I'm reading the PC OT for some early tips though. The orchestrated OST seems like the way to go too.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
For what I understand about the gambit system, it looks like a deeper iteration of the Tales of series customizable party AI? And also, am I wrong in thinking this has a similar vibe to XC? Both the combat system and some armor details remind me of that game, but I don't want to see/hear too much of FFXII before playing it myself.
The way I view the gambit system is that it's more like a reactionary system. You basically can setup numerous gambits to do things like, say if a player's health goes below 50%, then do <this>, which could be use a potion, or a cure spell, etc. or if a player gets poisoned, use an antidote. Stuff like that. So to me it's more like setting up parameters where the characters do things when something happens. And of course you can always change what happens whenever you need to both in and out of combat. It's a very unique system that offers a TON of flexibility with how much you want to do yourself versus being more automated.

May 30, 2018
my Switch copy from Target arrived today. i started playing FF X a few days ago but am not sure i'm feeling it. i know none of the FF games are linked, but are there any that will make it harder for me to go back to another later? like should i keep pushing on FF X since FF XII sounds like it's better? especially since XII has a speedup mode while X does not.

i also want to play VII and IX on Switch but those ports seems so ugly and janky...

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
I said I wouldn't buy it again but here I am wondering physical or digital. When I had it for PS4 I played it mostly on Vita through remote play. Portability is key.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
The way I view the gambit system is that it's more like a reactionary system. You basically can setup numerous gambits to do things like, say if a player's health goes below 50%, then do <this>, which could be use a potion, or a cure spell, etc. or if a player gets poisoned, use an antidote. Stuff like that. So to me it's more like setting up parameters where the characters do things when something happens. And of course you can always change what happens whenever you need to both in and out of combat. It's a very unique system that offers a TON of flexibility with how much you want to do yourself versus being more automated.

That - honestly - sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the explanation.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I said I wouldn't buy it again but here I am wondering physical or digital. When I had it for PS4 I played it mostly on Vita through remote play. Portability is key.
I'm going for physical. My copy has begun shipping, so maybe store-pickup might be better if you want it launch day.