• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
ae60d431-bc19-45d4-90bc-134afbe30799.jpg

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Switch, Xbox One, PS4, PC
Release Date:
Switch, Xbox One: April 30th, 2019​
PC: February 2nd, 2018​
PS4: July 11th, 2017​
Genre: RPG
Price: $49.99 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical
Publisher: Square Enix
Size: 12.6 GB (Switch), 26.42 (XB1)

GUGRy97.png

Can I start with this game as my first Final Fantasy?
Yes. Final Fantasy XII, like the other numbered FF titles (excluding direct sequels ala X-2), is a standalone story and world that requires no previous knowledge of the series. XII does take place in the world of Ivalice which is shared by other Square titles like FF:Tactics and Vagrant Story, but they are not directly related to each other.

What is the combat like in FFXII?
Unlike the previous mainline Final Fantasy titles, FFXII is not turn-based. Everything takes place in real-time with characters queuing up actions based on a ATB gauge. You are also able to set "Gambits" (rules) to direct AI controlled characters on what actions you want them to take depending on the circumstance if you'd rather not give them direct orders.

Random encounters?
No. Everything takes place on the explorable gameworld with enemies wandering the area.

What's new with this port over the PS2 original?
"The Zodiac Age" release of FFXII featured many changes from the, English, PS2 original. The game includes the overhauled license board that expanded character customization (from the "International" release) while allowing you to access all 12 classes in one playthrough. Also included is updated magick, new weapons/armor, trail mode, 2x/4x speed options, improved visuals, a new map system, autosaving and NG+.

What's new with this port over the PS4/PC remaster?
The Switch and Xbox One release allows you to reset and change your selected job board by talking to Montblanc in Rabanastre as well as including additional gambits sets, an improved NG+ and 60fps support (on XB1X).

Are those features going to be patched into the PS4/PC release?
Yes, the features were bright over in Airplane 24th, 2020.

twitter.com

Gematsu on Twitter

“Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age for PS4, PC updated with Job reset function, additional Gambit sets https://t.co/K5iiDCKcPy”

For people wondering about a patch hitting older versions:
unknown.png

Can you can choose between the original and arrangement OST?
Yes. You are given the choice between all three soundtrack options in the XB1/Switch release (PS2 original, CD album and reorchestrated).

Can you can choose between the English dub and the original Japanese audio?
Yes.

Play Anywhere?
No.

Xbox One X enhancements?
Yes. Playing the game on Xbox One X will give you FFXII in 1080p and running at 60fps.

Switch resolution?

Switch in Docked Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest pixel count found being 1088x612 and the highest pixel count found being 1536x864...

Switch in Portable Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest pixel count found being approximately 800x450 and the highest pixel count found being 1024x576...

Does this port suffer from the same music issues as the FFIX/FFVII port?
No.

I want to buy the game physically on Switch. Is all the content on the cart?
Yes.

YBzNI5K.png

ss_d7722abc39f2cd00e67319bf7589f524d2c3a94f.600x338.jpg
ss_e174af317e0522abd0c2142baca180c80218ebb2.600x338.jpg

ss_04df608f10a06569b5e747505f90102981c2e2f9.600x338.jpg
ss_dd7fdba6f6676deb2754f0f02a7f7b3ac29e03ea.600x338.jpg

UKmh4Dl.png

Metacritic (Switch) - 87%

RPGSite: 8/10
https://www.rpgsite.net/review/8442-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-switch-review
That being said if you already own The Zodiac Age, I would still suggest getting the Nintendo Switch version purely for the new additions, which are also available in the Xbox One version. The ability to switch jobs is an invaluable one, and the New Game + feature creates a new level of replayability and grinding opportunities for Zodiac Age's Trial Mode. If you haven't yet had the chance to play Final Fantasy XII, I would argue that this is one of the best versions of the game yet.

osjXdTr.png

Official Site
Nintendo Switch
Xbox One
Steam
PS4
PC OT - Includes some helpful tips for playing FFXII.

Credit to Dreamboum for the thread title.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Best mainline FF. Getting this game for the fourth time on my X. Don't know if I'll bother with the respec since I liked how my set my characters up previously. But looking forward to some nice 60fps and hopefully 4K.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As someone who couldn't get through the original because of the grind, do the speed options and international system improve this?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I could swear I already saw an identical thread posted a few days earlier...

Anyhow, the latest improvements are very nice. Being able to change jobs is a godsend.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ready to finally play this one. Hopefully I actually make progress on it, I only made it like 5 hours in last time I played it.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
How do I have the time to play this and Dragon's Dogma? Curse you third parties on Switch!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good job on the OT
will get a physical copy of this, but it'll probably be a while until i get to play it.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I'll finish this time.

Not sure why I stopped playing on PS4 atm

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing through FF X on Switch and I'm somewhat tempted to double dip on XII, but I'm not completely sure if I want to give up that sweet 60 fps.

In any case, they really seem to have done an amazing job with the FF XII ports. The 1X and Switch versions are no exceptions.

Fast forward makes the game so much more enjoyable, especially given how the gambit system works.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
Downloaded and ready to go on Switch. I played the PS2 version for a few hours back when it came out, but haven't played the game since then. Should be fun.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Any early impressions on the audio/music quality of the Switch version? The file size of the game being so compressed has me worried it's going to sound compressed.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Great OT!

A reminder that the party planner is still available, make a copy of it, select the jobs you want and it tells you everything you're going to get
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vC5yipu9Yfh0IZ6YE-mh_e59g/edit#gid=1059552339
Important because some quickenings & espers locks you out of some licence nodes. I'm going to see if montblanc refunds esper and quickenings too in a few hours

Any early impressions on the audio/music quality of the Switch version? The file size of the game being so compressed has me worried it's going to sound compressed.
I haven't played with my headphones but it didn't sound compressed on tv and handheld

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I'm playing the PS4 version at the moment. Will use this thread in the future if you don't mind.

Also, a few days ago the PS4 version got an update, I wonder if some of the improvements from Switch/XB version are coming to this one.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
As someone who couldn't get through the original because of the grind, do the speed options and international system improve this?
Massively, yes. Quad speed + all gambits available early on means you can farm extremely quickly and easily. You probably won't even have to grind all that much either, as the dual-job system can make you incredibly powerful with the right combos.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Wish I could afford to triple dip, Switch version looks nice. XII is easily my favorite Final Fantasy.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Bought it on switch for my train ride later today. Never even started the PC copy I bought last year but wanted to support and play on the go lol.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Best combat system in a FF game for me. Never finished it at launch on my PS2...so TZA enhancements will be new to me...not to mention I haven't played it in 10+ years.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Downloaded and ready on the Switch. This will be my first time playing this title...in bed.
Any advice for a first timer?

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered the switch version and can't wait to play it for the first time!
Which dub is better? Japanese or English?

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a good idea to do character builds around the items that become available in the guild shop?

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018

As far as visual fidelity is concern, it looks really nice on docked, but unfortunately it has sub native res on handheld. Is not that very low res, still looks awesome, just less sharp than you would want or than this title with that beautiful scenery deserves.

Last edited:

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game after finally finishing it on PS4. One of my favourites in the series, so getting it on Switch was a no brainer.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favourite games of that generation. If only Nocturne got the same treatment.

As far as visual fidelity is concern, it looks really nice on docked, but unfortunately it has sub native res on handheld. Is not that very low res, still looks awesome, just less sharp than you would want or than this title with that beautiful scenery deserves.

Do we have official word on this? The game has some very aggressive post-processing effects that makes it look blurrier than it should be, even on PS4.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
TOP 3 FINAL FANTASY ON HANDHELD LET'S GO

(What exactly is the CD Album OST? Is it closer to the original or reorchestrated?)

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I really shouldn't pick this up as despite FFXII being my favouite entry in the series I still haven't played the PS4 version.

But whoops. Too late.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Is it a good idea to do character builds around the items that become available in the guild shop?
The clan shop ? It's not really interesting and there aren't a lot of items. The only thing you'd start with is a Time Battlemage.

TOP 3 FINAL FANTASY ON HANDHELD LET'S GO

(What exactly is the CD Album OST? Is it closer to the original or reorchestrated?)

CD Album OST is the music that was on the album (yes, i know, duh), it's closer to the original but a lot of things were changed/improved with higher quality samples and new instrumentation and also re-arranged tracks. It's basically a re-arranged album since there were no constraints like the original had with the PS2

Re-orchestrated is a live orchestra so it's even more polished

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
At US$50, I'm having a hard time buying this again after having re played it so recently on PS4. But I want in on Xbox for the performance boost

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
God bless Sakimoto for making a new song for the Nam Yensa. I like the sandsea but the same music for both areas was overkill

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
years ago when this game came out i was too young to appreciate it i think. especially coming off of the flashy character designs and location work from FFX. Excited to dive in.