• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I only played up to the point where you get your first license point for Vaan and I am already stressed out what job I should choose first...
I find this daunting too!!

You can respec later, don't worry! I started with Vaan with daggers because it seemed to suit his character model, but I swapped to hammers recently.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Going back to that first Doomwall at level 50 and smacking it in the face once was very satisfying.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I only played up to the point where you get your first license point for Vaan and I am already stressed out what job I should choose first...
Something good with either/both attack and magic.
Something like Uhlan or Bushi.

Anyway you can change anytime after (more or less).

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Some of the hunts are ridiculous. I still haven't beaten the chicken with its nuggets.

Make sure you're doing mist combos by pressing X/Y/B during the mist animation. This mechanic is really clumsy imo but it's critical to doing big damage, as you get bonus attacks for long chains.
Yeah, I used Quickenings to win. Thing is, I'm not sure how the chaining system works. During one of my attempts, I somehow was able to use a 4th Quickening for some reason...?

Then there is the bonus attack at the end. I assume it changes depending on what characters you use? I got Inferno, which also seemed to be an AoE attack.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Halfway through new game plus. Going to focus on just hunts now with Larsa and getting rare armor/weapons. Already have 75 hours clocked in this game according to my Switch and I've used the 4x speed multiplier the entire time. Yes, I love this game very much lol.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Welp, I'm done.
All hunts done, Hell Wyrm, Yiazmat, and Omega Mk. XII all dead, and Trial Mode cleared. 91 hours in total, with a lot of 4x speed and about 18 of those hours on the "Jelly Farm" auto-levelling strat.

Still a hell of a game, and the Switch port was far better than I was expecting. One of the best FF games. I hope we get to go back to Ivalice someday.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Wow, so I looked up the "jelly farm" and knew I had done some levelling there, but had no idea how you'd go AFK when enemies run out.

Turns out that killing enemies with Break doesn't "count" so spawns more, but you still get exp. What a weird quirk! Will definitely be setting up some Gambits to do this later.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the Westersands now, and I'm... not sure I get how to best use Gambits?

I'm just doing potion if below X, and besides that attack. I feel like I'm really missing something.

Also paralyzing to figure out the jobs to use. It seems for some characters there's a fitting one, but hard to know what is best.

I guess I just need to spend a few hours in the menus looking at everything?

I remember on the PS2 I never got the gambits really, relied on this big combo attack (I forget) to beat bosses, and eventually anywhere I had to go had regular enemies that would kill me right away. I gave up then, and want to do it right this time.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just got here too.

I think I have a pretty good grasp of what to do Gambit wise for Black and White mages, but for everyone else I'm kinda not doing much with because they simply don't have too many abilities to take advantage of. All they can really do right now is use items and I'm too afraid they will burn through them too quickly or use them inefficiently (say multiple characters using/casting Antidote at the same time).

But generally I'll put the "attack leader target" somewhere in the middle of the list, and I'll put the actions that I want to happen during battle above that, and the regular maintenance actions that I want to happen outside battle below it.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

I'm just doing potion if below X, and besides that attack. I feel like I'm really missing something.

Also paralyzing to figure out the jobs to use. It seems for some characters there's a fitting one, but hard to know what is best.

I guess I just need to spend a few hours in the menus looking at everything?

I remember on the PS2 I never got the gambits really, relied on this big combo attack (I forget) to beat bosses, and eventually anywhere I had to go had regular enemies that would kill me right away. I gave up then, and want to do it right this time.

It all depends on the situation and what kind of abilities your characters have. If you have a healer with Cure and Cura its best to set those up so they use cure for <70% and Cura for <50% for example. I use Vaan as a tank and he basically has 2 techniques, Libra and Steal. I only steal if I'm not targeted, and if I'm targeted he will attack back. I set Libra on self so that its always active. It just saves time and micro management. I also cast haste on Aly's with slow, or slow on targets that attack certain Aly's with low HP/defense. I also prioritise my tank to attack foes that target lower defence allies. Stuff like that. It all works out well but you may have to have different configurations for different situations.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was just "lost" in that damn desert for over a hour at 4x speed so If I was not over leveled before I sure as hell am now

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this game when it first came out many years ago but never actually got to play it as someone stole it. I purchased it on the Switch last week to play during my family vacation on the plane and when the wife and kids are asleep. I've played almost all FF games but this one....this one is something very special.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have no idea how any of the quickenings work, and the combo system is kinda bad imo. I never pick one over another, and with none of the battles so far I've had to consider elements or attack type.

20 hours in and fights still feel kinda clumsy.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
i haven 2nd jobs and am nearly finished with most of my party's first job boards and I still havent unlocked any quickenings for fear of getting the wrong ones lol.

Someone assuage my fears, quickening and espers get do-overs along with license board resets, yeah?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
i haven 2nd jobs and am nearly finished with most of my party's first job boards and I still havent unlocked any quickenings for fear of getting the wrong ones lol.

Someone assuage my fears, quickening and espers get do-overs along with license board resets, yeah?

your gambits will all vanish too so you will have to reprogram everything, you might want to take note of what you've previously set up just incase.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
I'm into the late game now (Pharos) and have a question about weapons...

Should I just be using Attack Power to judge? Something feels off... For example, I have Basch equipped with a 1h Great Axe bought from the store. I just picked up a Muramasa deep into Pharos and despite being a 2h weapon it takes my atk power down 6 points.

Shouldn't 2h weapon way outpower 1h ones of a similar level? Is there a DPS calculation anywhere?

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Reading that link above about Quickenings...why should I be worried about unlocking them?
If you are playing on xbox or switch then you dont need to be since you can reset your licenses, but on ps4 and i think pc, everything you unlock is permanent. There are 3 quickenings you can unlock per character, but 4 spaces to do so per license board. Some licenses are locked behind quickenings so there are a few cases, depending on your job combos, where you will have to leave certain things stuck behind a locked quickening if you already unlocked your 3.

But now you can just reset if you make a regretful decision.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you are playing on xbox or switch then you dont need to be since you can reset your licenses, but on ps4 and i think pc, everything you unlock is permanent. There are 3 quickenings you can unlock per character, but 4 spaces to do so per license board. Some licenses are locked behind quickenings so there are a few cases, depending on your job combos, where you will have to leave certain things stuck behind a locked quickening if you already unlocked your 3.

But now you can just reset if you make a regretful decision.
Ohhh. I was reading the below to mean that the things behind the quickening weren't blocked:

Job boards tend to have four Quickening slots, but once you've unlocked your third the fourth Quickening license will disappear entirely and the path to abilities behind it will be cleared for you as well, similar to what happens when you use FF12's Espers on your license boards.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm into the late game now (Pharos) and have a question about weapons...

Should I just be using Attack Power to judge? Something feels off... For example, I have Basch equipped with a 1h Great Axe bought from the store. I just picked up a Muramasa deep into Pharos and despite being a 2h weapon it takes my atk power down 6 points.

Shouldn't 2h weapon way outpower 1h ones of a similar level? Is there a DPS calculation anywhere?
axes & hammer have great streength but their damage is random, you never noticed how you can hit for one HP?

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on the situation and what kind of abilities your characters have. If you have a healer with Cure and Cura its best to set those up so they use cure for <70% and Cura for <50% for example. I use Vaan as a tank and he basically has 2 techniques, Libra and Steal. I only steal if I'm not targeted, and if I'm targeted he will attack back. I set Libra on self so that its always active. It just saves time and micro management. I also cast haste on Aly's with slow, or slow on targets that attack certain Aly's with low HP/defense. I also prioritise my tank to attack foes that target lower defence allies. Stuff like that. It all works out well but you may have to have different configurations for different situations.

Perhap dumb question, but do characters have innate abilities independent of their license board? I made someone a black mage, and they were still able to use swords for example. Or are their abilities they will still have regardless of the job they are?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Perhap dumb question, but do characters have innate abilities independent of their license board? I made someone a black mage, and they were still able to use swords for example. Or are their abilities they will still have regardless of the job they are?
Yes, Vaan will always be able to use Steal for example.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017

You're still pretty early in the game, so your options are pretty limited. Nevertheless, basic Attack, Cure, and Steal Gambits should get you through most random encounters no sweat. Don't be fooled by the game into thinking every character needs to fill out their entire Gambit menu, either. Mages use slots easily, but even late-game my more physical oriented members didn't need near the full twelve.

If you're looking to get a little more in-depth, try automating some maintenance buffs with Gambits. Things like Libra, or Protect on your party leader, ect.

As for choosing jobs, if you're playing Switch/Xbone you can change at (almost) any time with no penalty. The differences between characters is small, you're fine with anything unless you're looking to min/max.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still mid-game (just blasted the bomb at Salika, bless you Mateus), but yeah I only use gambits for buff, basic haste/shell/protect for my party leader and some for my weakest char and then I just handle everything myself

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
There we go, a night of automated jelly farming, at max battle speed and 4x game speed. Started at around level 51.

ScxrVyd.png

I'll give it another session today while I'm at work, but this time with the Cat Ears equipped to get some fat cash. I don't expect it to get much further, I bet it really slows down around here.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I have this on the PS4 but haven't started it yet. Now I'm wondering if I should go with the Xbox One X version instead. Is 60FPS going to make much of a difference here?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fast forward seems like such a godsend but I feel so dirty using it.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I have this on the PS4 but haven't started it yet. Now I'm wondering if I should go with the Xbox One X version instead. Is 60FPS going to make much of a difference here?

I mean it's nice and buttery smooth albeit a little blurry but that's it. The best is that the switch/xb1 versions at the moment you can reset jobs

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
So I just got the full party, when are you able to switch jobs for characters? I accidentally did two White Mages boo.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So this morning I posted how, overnight with jelly grinding, I went from 51 to 85. Well I left it carrying on while I was at work, 9.5 hours away, and this is the result.

roadY33.png

So close!

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
even doing that jelly farming trick in Henne Mines my characters were still losing some hp even though they seem to be reflecting everything to the point when I came back some had fainted... I'd set up a gambit to use high potions and they'd clean it all out