• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
I've just started making my way across the Ogir-Yensa. I have a shikari in my group and was wondering if I should have found a ninja sword by now?

Edit: Question 2 - the Headsman license; does the person with it need to land the killing blow for the effect?

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Got this game on 1X. Forgot how god-tier Sakimoto was (shame on me). He did work on the reorchestrated soundtrack, right?

Cuz it sounds A LOT like the original soundtrack, bar a few exceptions.
Yes he handled it

I've just started making my way across the Ogir-Yensa. I have a shikari in my group and was wondering if I should have found a ninja sword by now?

Edit: Question 2 - the Headsman license; does the person with it need to land the killing blow for the effect?
You have to play quite a bit to have a ninja sword. It's a mid-game weapon type

Headsman needs a killing blow yes

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone got any tips for dealing with those Etem's in the 2nd part of Henne Mines? There might be a mini boss that summons loads of them and I get surrounded and raped by them all :o

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Thought as much.

As for the game, so far I'm happy with the upgrade. Going straight from the PS2 game (original US release) to this (after a decade of course), there are A LOT of improvements, such as having most if not all gambits unlocked after a few hours, or the fast forward mode for traveling.

Also, 60 feels good (rock solid so far).

As much as I'm still unhappy with the plot and characters, exploring and fighting feels good in this game.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I still have an unopened copy of this on PS4 and for some reason I'm tempted to buy it on the Switch because that's where I'm doing most of my gaming these days. What is wrong with me? I think the temptation is high because I have a $50 gift card right now burning a hole in my pocket. This is my favorite FF so I'll probably just go through with a double dip on this gen's consoles.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
After playing on PC it took some time to get used to having a bit blurrier graphics but I've been enjoying having it on handheld. I'm sad that we traded the ability to change jobs for the infinite exp and license points cheats as this is the third time I'll be buying the game and grinding again makes me sad, but it's been a really solid port.

I have to say now that I've been able to play with headphones in for a long time I think I really overlooked the FFXII OST before. It really is pretty damn great, just different from other JRPGs/past FFs.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Handheld Final Fantasy XII was a mistake. After 2 hours of playing on TV I was ready to go to bed "but maybe a few more minutes to do some hunts" and continued playing for 2 more hours in bed.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'm like 9 hrs in and reloaded an old save because I was on the Dreadnaught leviathan and couldn't get past a section so I loaded the old save to maybe level and get better gear. So I accepted a hunt that's in the lhusu mines and I've tried to kill it 6 or 7 times and can't. Everyone says the game is very easy but I'm no doubt having some trouble. It's my first FF game also.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm like 9 hrs in and reloaded an old save because I was on the Dreadnaught leviathan and couldn't get past a section so I loaded the old save to maybe level and get better gear. So I accepted a hunt that's in the lhusu mines and I've tried to kill it 6 or 7 times and can't. Everyone says the game is very easy but I'm no doubt having some trouble. It's my first FF game also.
The Lhusu mines hunt is easier if you wait till you hit level 17-18, or when you
have Vossler in your party for the West Sand Sea. Warp back to the Lhusu Mines, use his abilities to help out, and exploit his weakness to Aqua.

I've just entered the tomb, Second time playing FF12 with my original version being on PS2, and I've fallen in love all over again.

The only issues I have with it are ironically tied back to Vaan and Penelope, and that's because they just highlight what I think is the underlying issue with the game: everything in the game's AI/ Design screams it was meant for a 4 person party(see the fact that the guest AI Slot has been filled about 75% of my playtime right now on this save and it persists iirc) that they had to turn into a 3 party following the forced inclusion of the two worst party members in the game. When Balthier, the Deadpool of the game, outright admits their comic entertainment I just had to stop for a second.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I feel like I must be nearing the end but can someone who has finished the game confirm?
just got to Old Archades

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't often play games at the same time as others, and so I'm finding it extra fun to see people playing it and being around the same place that I am.

I just did some Llusu Mines hunts, and I should not have beaten one, but I did with Baltheir (my weakest character, at level 9 or so) being the only one alive constantly running away and shooting his gun for minimal damage.

Going to do a few more hunts, and just talk to people in the towns I'm able to go in to soak in the atmosphere before I progress in the story.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Handheld Final Fantasy XII was a mistake. After 2 hours of playing on TV I was ready to go to bed "but maybe a few more minutes to do some hunts" and continued playing for 2 more hours in bed.
Montblanc's "you've been burning the midnight oil, kupo!" rank-up line has usually rang very true for me in this game.

I feel like I must be nearing the end but can someone who has finished the game confirm?
just got to Old Archades
You've still got a ways to go. XII's campaign is massive; it's easily among the longest of the singleplayer FFs.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going back now that I've figured out how the whole hunt thing works and where to find people, doing a lot of back tracking.

Do we ever get to bum rides off our sky pirate friend who clearly has a nice ship or am I stuck burning quick travel coins or paying to ride on Ivalice Delta airlines with the common folk for the rest of the game? We took Balthier's ship for that first trip out of town and it seems like we forgot where we parked it.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really loving this so far, but is the story intentionally very confusing at the start? One thing i still don't understand
So I get that bacsh's twin brother is the one who killed the king. This marquis guy announced he was executed that that the princess committed suicide. The game keeps referencing that the imerpials were using Basch being alive to keep marquis in line and that Basch was the "sword over his head". But uhh...why? Did he know that basch wasn't executed but said so anyways, and so the fear is the imperials would say he lied? I don't understand how this negatively effects him. I just had the meeting with him the first time, and just got to the leviaithan. Is this explained further later?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really loving this so far, but is the story intentionally very confusing at the start? One thing i still don't understand
So I get that bacsh's twin brother is the one who killed the king. This marquis guy announced he was executed that that the princess committed suicide. The game keeps referencing that the imerpials were using Basch being alive to keep marquis in line and that Basch was the "sword over his head". But uhh...why? Did he know that basch wasn't executed but said so anyways, and so the fear is the imperials would say he lied? I don't understand how this negatively effects him. I just had the meeting with him the first time, and just got to the leviaithan. Is this explained further later?
Ondore didn't know whether Basch was alive or not but he knew Vayne held some sway over him that could have jeopardized his resistance efforts. Had Ashe and Basch been announced to have survived despite him announcing their death (Vayne pushed him to do so) and considering one of them being the kingslayer who is widely considered to be a traitor to the resistance, then Ondore's credibility would be so undermined that the resistance would crumble itself.

Ondore is the biggest player in the resistance and Vayne intended to snuff it out forever by blackmailing him with a trump card, Basch's name is enough to start a riot, as evidenced by various NPC dialogues.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked my second job and threw Bushi on Knight Basch. Rocking a Magoroku and he's doing some decent work, but Uhlan Balthier is a damn beast. I realize that the strength relies in combo procs, so my question is: what are the ways to improve that so Basch can get closer to,or outdo, that Ulhan output?

I just got a Jade Collar, do I want to throw that on for the speed?

Edit: I also just finished up the short bit in the
Viera
village. Am I nearing a point where I can reliably buy Teleport Stones?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked my second job and threw Bushi on Knight Basch. Rocking a Magoroku and he's doing some decent work, but Uhlan Balthier is a damn beast. I realize that the strength relies in combo procs, so my question is: what are the ways to improve that so Basch can get closer to,or outdo, that Ulhan output?

I just got a Jade Collar, do I want to throw that on for the speed?

Edit: I also just finished up the short bit in the
Viera
village. Am I nearing a point where I can reliably buy Teleport Stones?

EDIT:
If you are near here then sure from one of the NPCs at the back there riding a chocobo, And one of the shops onboard the sky ferry
ff12_teleport_stones_gate_crystal.jpg

After fighting Fafnir I don't think I can stomach anymore hunts :/

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I love this game but man I hate the sand seas so much. Going from one desert to another desert to a third desert just kinda hits you in a certain way lol. I remember when I played on PS2 this was a slow point for me, but once I got past it I could not put it down. Gonna try and grind past it tonight again.

Anyone got some early Black Mage gambits? I want them to cast spells but, like... a variety of them lol. Is that just not an option? I know I can direct them to cast "weak to X" spells though. Is the only other option to choose one and pop it at the top of the list?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
my current gambit fave is :

Time Mage: Ally: BLKMAGE > Haste
White Mage: Ally: BLKMAGE > Faith
Black Mage: Foe: any > Scourge

108j52z.gif

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017

Early on, your options are pretty limited. The best you can do is make sure you're using Heavy Armor for additional Strength. Critical HP increases combo chance significantly and also doubles your attack damage with the Adrenaline augment, but that's probably not worth doing at this point.

Later, use Berserk and the Genji Gloves (accessory that increases your chance to combo). End-game Katanas just naturally have a higher combo rate as well.

Anyone got some early Black Mage gambits? I want them to cast spells but, like... a variety of them lol. Is that just not an option? I know I can direct them to cast "weak to X" spells though. Is the only other option to choose one and pop it at the top of the list?

Since you're so early, there's not a ton you can do. Aero with the Cherry Staff (+50% Wind damage) is extremely powerful, especially in the Sandsea since almost everything is weak to Wind, but you probably lack the MP and Augments to spam it against everything. I believe I used something like...

Foe: 2+ foes present - Aero
Foe: lowest HP - Fire

Later, you'll unlock more staves that boost the other elements. Checking common enemy weaknesses and equipping the right staff for whichever area is easy and effective, but for general purpose put weakness Gambits first, a vulnerable Gambit for whichever spell your staff is boosting second, and a non-elemental spell at the end.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
The story is just so good in this game. It reminds me so much of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I don't know why I stopped playing last time, but this rivals FFVI as my favorite numbered Final Fantasy.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The 1X port is great so far. Unflinching 60. That being said, I do have one regret. I wish we could more easily switch from 2x to 4x (and vice versa of course), especially as there seems to be one unused button (unless I'm forgetting something which may unlock later).

As for the plot, it has some good moments, but overall it's not very satisfying. It's a Star Wars wannabe which also tries to recapture some of the FFT spirit, largely failing in that regard, in my opinion. The characters are forced and cliched, most of the interesting story tidbits are told to the player but are not known to the party, and all this disjonction hardly reconnects during the course of the game (vaguely towards the end, if I remember correctly). It's just not good (edit: for a video game at least, it may work for a movie, but this is a game).

Thankfully, the combat and exploration more than make up for it.

Also, so far, I like the new twin board system a lot (only played the original PS2 version at the time). I don't think I would have liked the previous iterations, but now, having two boards which you can also reset if you messed up? Yummy!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
You can hold the speed up button and press left or right (or was it up and down?) on the d-pad to change between 2 and 4x

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
You can hold the speed up button and press left or right (or was it up and down?) on the d-pad to change between 2 and 4x

Almost!

Hold L (or LB on XB1) and press Left or Right on D-pad to cycle between the speeds.

Up and Down on D-pad is to select between party leader.

press R (or RB on XB1) if you want to use a spell like Dispel on party member or enemy. Use Dispel on party member to remove Reflect etc..

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
wow i knew about all that except the party leader changing, thats good to know because if i ever lose my party leader then immediately revive them its annoying as hell having to open the menu and shuffle the party until they are back as leader

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Hold L (or LB on XB1) and press Left or Right on D-pad to cycle between the speeds.
Both work. As long as you press the "speed" button (so left bumper on XB1), pressing Up or Right increases the speed, and pressing Down or Left decreases the speed, including normal (1x) speed.

press R (or RB on XB1) if you want to use a spell like Dispel on party member or enemy. Use Dispel on party member to remove Reflect etc..
Pretty sure both bumpers work in the target selection menu to switch between enemy/ally/neutral, as shown by the target selection interface (bottom of the screen).

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Man, if there's one thing I don't miss from the old days, it's the total lack of a quest log.

I get that quest helpers transform games into GPS simulators, but a simple log to keep track of the quests wouldn't hurt.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Both work. As long as you press the "speed" button (so left bumper on XB1), pressing Up or Right increases the speed, and pressing Down or Left decreases the speed, including normal (1x) speed.

Pretty sure both bumpers work in the target selection menu to switch between enemy/ally/neutral, as shown by the target selection interface (bottom of the screen).

Yes you're right

Sigh unless they figure out the RNG on the XB1 version.

Spent roughly 10 mins running in and out today on the ferry.. :(

SRQp9MP.png

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
RNG sucks. I wish game devs would stop using it outside of random damage number calculations (be it damage dealt or chances to hit/crit), or "useless" stuff like trash loot spawning.

But having gear, characters (I look at you Xenoblade 2), and so forth locked behind a skinner box is just bad design.

It generating "retention" for online games doesn't make it good design.

It just makes it greedy design.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. The changes to the summoning system are in "Fuck Yeah!" territory.

They may become a bit meh by the end of the game, but so far they went from utterly useless to a pretty fun gimmick (and a relatively powerful one at that).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

I keep listening to this, I think they did a very good job with the reorchestration
Wow. The changes to the summoning system are in "Fuck Yeah!" territory.

They may become a bit meh by the end of the game, but so far they went from utterly useless to a pretty fun gimmick (and a relatively powerful one at that).

Espers are awesome. Saved my skin so many times.

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh". I tried that RNG trick of starting a new file with Reks and healing to get numbers 88, 97,90 in that order and I managed to Get the numbers but it don't spawn the hidden chest on XB1

A85O74L.gif

its a pain even on ps4 i was doing this a few days ago in the steppe to get dark energy and it was giving me the numbers i needed like at the first three numbers like 6 times in a row lol and then I had to do it for 40 minutes before it would give it to me again... -_______-

also I did realize if you dont get the numbers you need in at least the first 10 casts just reset the game... and reset the rng... it let me get it quicker doin this every time...

Oct 27, 2017
Almost!

Up and Down on D-pad is to select between party leader.

hold L2 or LT to focus on the enemy your attacking... it lets you see flying enemies better.

also press the left d pad to put a lock on icon that keeps its Libra info up until its dead

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 18 hours into the game. I decided to take my PS2 out of the box it's in, and see how far I got in my last file, and it was over 40 hours! I think I did a lot of clan stuff, but didn't progress the story much further than where I am now.

I'm also almost always using 2x speed in battles, which may speed things up considerably.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you're right

Spent roughly 10 mins running in and out today on the ferry.. :(

SRQp9MP.png

that weapon literally ruins the game tbh... everytime I go for auto optimize on a character its that weapon lol.. its sooooo op. I only got one and stopped using it. I also hate that its invisible also... why couldnt they make it look bad ass or something.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that weapon literally ruins the game tbh... everytime I go for auto optimize on a character its that weapon lol.. its sooooo op. I only got one and stopped using it. I also hate that its invisible also... why couldnt they make it look bad ass or something.
i mean shit you can ruin the game with a lot less than that, considering just how much power has been placed in our hands
i replayed the first ten rounds of trials a few times, basically on gambit autopilot and 4x speed to accumulate fast LP, right after my first visit to Lhusu Mines
imagine my surprise when I hop back into the game proper and find I own three Sword of Kings, that I can't sell, and which doesn't require a license to equip
it wasn't until after my first visit to the Henne Mines that I finally had reason to re-equip my party with anything else, lmao.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Man, not playing the game at 2x actually feels like the game is going slow motion... I've been playing it on 2x to get back to where I left off on the PS4 version
in Giruvagan/Great Crystal

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017

Without RNG manipulation it's a .05% percent chance of spawning and the chest is also invisible.

It's meant to be a fun easter egg more than something you actually strive for.

i mean shit you can ruin the game with a lot less than that, considering just how much power has been placed in our hands
i replayed the first ten rounds of trials a few times, basically on gambit autopilot and 4x speed to accumulate fast LP, right after my first visit to Lhusu Mines
imagine my surprise when I hop back into the game proper and find I own three Sword of Kings, that I can't sell, and which doesn't require a license to equip
it wasn't until after my first visit to the Henne Mines that I finally had reason to re-equip my party with anything else, lmao.

I'd say Trial Mode is even more busted than Seitengrat just because of how accessible it is. A 92 ATK weapon available from Trial Stage 3, the aforementioned Sword of Kings, multiple Ribbons, Wyrmhero Blades, ect.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Man, just got to (port town)
Balfonheim
and the atmosphere in this game is just some of the best out of any RPG I've ever played, right up there with Xenoblade 1. FF16 BETTER have towns like this!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Man, just got to (port town)
Balfonheim
and the atmosphere in this game is just some of the best out of any RPG I've ever played, right up there with Xenoblade 1. FF16 BETTER have towns like this!
The game have its flaws but there are a ton of areas, and some pretty cool ones at that.

So far I like pretty much every change they made to the game. My only complaint if there was to be one is that I remember the game to have way more challenge. There seems to be a consensus that all cumulative changes made the game way too easy. And so far I'd be inclined to agree. I'm still only lvl 30 though. So maybe by lvl 90 I'll find the various superbosses more challenging (I remember they could be brutal in vanilla).

Also I browsed the whole thread the other day, and I think some people articulated pretty well the issues I have with the plot and characters. The setting and themes are amazing, but they do little with it. Characters are mono-dimensional with little to no development. Many plot twists are ham-fisted, and some are even resolved the moment they appear. All in all, characters just aren't very interesting (actually, Vaan is the most developed character, which is why you can count me in the "I don't get the hate" club). Special mention to Penelo and Fran who're just following their man ... Same with Basch to a lesser degree, "knight following his princess" is only remotely balanced by some minor redemption arc.

And overall the pacing, the global story telling, the fact that you basically play minor characters with regard to the grand story which is told through otherwise well articulated cutscenes, it just doesn't work. They tried to do the "follow the minor characters which will eventually change history" thing, but the way everything is told just isn't satisfying.

I mean you have fun exploring some random ass region and bashing mobs, and then you get a cutscene showing political intrigue in faraway lands with characters most of the party doesn't even know exists. No matter how well written the dialog may be, it's hard to feel any sort of consistent story building out of that. Especially as IIRC most of the party's actions amount to nothing most of the time, getting broken or useless trinkets, missing on important events, etc.

Oh well, at least exploring and fighting is pretty damn fun. Now at a glorious 60fps :o)

Edit: Next time someone tells you 60fps is useless on "slow paced games", or "turn based games", hit them on the head.

Last edited: