• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Urfe depends which ruins you are but overall I don't think you have to change any licences for the main game story. You might for those few tricky optional bosses. I definitely struggled with Cuchulainn, Zalera, Zeromus, Zodiac, and Yiazmat but gear and accessories is quite important in this too. Gambits you definitely need to make a few sets as some of these battles forbid the use of magics or even items but these might have fallen into the optional bosses..

*sigh* waiting for a rare hunt to spawn and for the in-game clock to hit between 0 - 10 minutes

Thanks, yeah, I just upgraded my armor and used haste and protect and it was a piece of cake! Maybe not as complicated as I thought. I respect people getting deep into the game, but I'm here for the story I believe, and won't be looking too deeply at any extras.

Jesse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm stuck in deep Giruvegan without cleanse or bubble and getting spammed with death left and right.
The same happened to me when enemies started using stone/petrify, I of course missed the spell.

I think I'm done with the game.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck in deep Giruvegan without cleanse or bubble and getting spammed with death left and right.
The same happened to me when enemies started using stone/petrify, I of course missed the spell.

I think I'm done with the game.

iirc Cleanse is found in one of those containers in Cerobi Steppe and even then getting it to spawn was annoying. Bubble will become available to buy from doing those Guild Hunts and purchased from the Guild Bazaar store.

You can just run past those annoying monsters in that Giant Crystal place although some of those areas where you have to activate a Zodiac stone to unlock a gate is hella annoying especially when the switch you have to stand at a certain angle for it. But eventually you should get to a save crystal which will remove all status effects and if you want go back and exp grind in there before you fight a boss.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Trying to get Hastega from the Great Crystal might prevent me from ever replaying this game again. It's the only missing item from my 100% run. It might be this games biggest flaw, and I'm still surprised they didn't give you a map for the area.

I know it's supposed to be a maze, but this is pure torture. /vent.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get Hastega from the Great Crystal might prevent me from ever replaying this game again. It's the only missing item from my 100% run. It might be this games biggest flaw, and I'm still surprised they didn't give you a map for the area.

I know it's supposed to be a maze, but this is pure torture. /vent.

Hastega can be found at point: no.2 on the map. I had to goto; Sthaana Aquarius and press the stone and run back to where Sthaana Taurus is and then run to the far opposite end. Bearing in mind you have a timer to unlock some of those gates.

Os3TbRB.png

and I was also using this as back up

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Hastega can be found at point: no.2 on the map. I had to goto; Sthaana Aquarius and press the stone and run back to where Sthaana Taurus is and then run to the far opposite end. Bearing in mind you have a timer to unlock some of those gates.

Os3TbRB.png

and I was also using this as back up

Thanks for the map! Four hours later, and a rage post did the trick. I'll most likely never play this again. I've done multiple 100% Excalibur II runs in FF9 on the PS1, and I never got this upset at a JRPG. I don't even think FFX's mini-games were this terrible.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The Great Crystal (2.0) is more-or-less supposed to be an endgame dungeon. It's baffling that they thought making it a stupid maze was a great idea.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
After this got the 100% Bestiary / Scrivena achievement unlocked. No more reason to enter this awful place and wow there are so many rare monsters in this game!
YAyZZ7c.gif

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the boss on at the entrance at Giruvegan. Sounds like the place isn't fun? As there is a teleport crystal, I may just do a few more hunts and tinker more with licenses, etc. before I go any further.

I've played 30 hours so far. I'm hoping I will have the game done by hour 40.

(all the FF games are on sale on the eShop in Japan, and I would like to move onto FFX soon.)

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Got two optional Espers, and am now in the Great Crystal. The bosses in Giruvegan were not that bad.

The characters I use a lot on around level 38-40, and the ones I use less are around 24-31. Level doesn't seem too important with good equipment and licenses though.

I tried going northwest, and enemies were way too hard. I assume it's the next place to go. Hopefully better equipment is available first.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
I've just did the whole Mt. Bur stuff, and wiping up some hunts/sidequests and noticed my Shikari is still using Ashura, which I'd preferably like to upgrade if possible. I heard Orochi does work -- am I at a point where I can reasonably get one and if so, where?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I love this on Switch. I had forgotten just how good it was. The gambit system is great. I can automate the busy work and get things done more quickly. Do FF13 or 15 use a variation of it? I skipped those. I wish it had more granularity in some situations—the ability to do an if/or or an if/and would be nice—but in general it lets me get more things done, faster, and encourages the use of abilities I would otherwise ignore. Slapping libra on as a gambit ensures I always have it enabled, for example. I'd neglect it otherwise.

I appreciate the script more this time around. The characters are generally well written and I enjoy spending time with them, outside maybe Vaan and Penelo, who feel like the traditional JRPG fledglings that pushed me away from the genre. The music is a highlight. The new orchestrated soundtrack is a nice improvement, and a feature I didn't even know existed until starting the game. Maybe the best surprise of the package.

Just finished the tomb of raithwall and am heading to some hunt in Giza. Characters all between level 33-35. Working on finishing the first set of boards on everyone before I start on the new ones.

Last edited:

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
I've just did the whole Mt. Bur stuff, and wiping up some hunts/sidequests and noticed my Shikari is still using Ashura, which I'd preferably like to upgrade if possible. I heard Orochi does work -- am I at a point where I can reasonably get one and if so, where?

You can get an Orochi in Lhusu Mines I believe, around where you fight the ant lion hunt.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Game looks really good overall but not happy about how dark it seems to be. Surprised there's not an option for any type of brightness in the game. Can't imagine this is something that would get added later right? Ah well, it's not too big a deal, but I immediately noticed it after playing a little of the PC version.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Game looks really good overall but not happy about how dark it seems to be. Surprised there's not an option for any type of brightness in the game. Can't imagine this is something that would get added later right? Ah well, it's not too big a deal, but I immediately noticed it after playing a little of the PC version.
There's a brightness option on PC I'm sure of it

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Great Crystal done, onto the next place. First boss was too hard on first try, so got Remedy Lore on some characters and bought armor. Now in this tower.

As with Giruvegan, I'm ready for the game to end.

Happy to move onto FFX and then hopefully soon after FFVIII.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Not much left before I complete this game! Just have Omega Mk. XII, Yiazmat, and completing the bestiary left.

Honestly, the hardest fight I did so far was Behemoth King. I did all the hunts as they became available and he was by far the one who made me burn through the most resources (3 Megalixirs!). I even managed to beat Hell Wyrm in a single fight.

(Not gonna bother with Trial Mode. The game is fun but I'm ready to move on.)

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm at the final dungeon now. I looked at a guide for the dungeon I just finished after I finished it, and was amazed at all these items and weapons I missed. I'm guessing there's so much stuff I missed in the game. The color coded maze I didn't really get, and I think I got through it either by luck for my "back doors".

My characters are levels 28 - 43, so I'm worried I'm a little low for the final dungeon, but I'll try to power through it on Sunday.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I've given up on trying to get that black hole quickening to appear

This gif (although something happened during the gif render) has been sitting around for a while and I might as well try and get all those mini side quests done

bQ44DaK.gif

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I would see like the final place is like without doing any prep, and got to the final boss. Don't think I would be able to beat him as is, so doing a few more quests and filled up my items (had no ethers or phoenix downs).

Hope to finish the game today. Was a fun time. Really reminds me of the prequel Star Wars trilogy.

edit: My Ashe was only on level 25, but when I checked out her accessory today, it was one that reduced her HP to 0! She still has a good great sword and good equipment, so it really shows that levels aren't that much.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I've given up on trying to get that black hole quickening to appear

If I can get it, anyone can! I think I got it around the Tchita Uplands, and used the save crystal there to refill the Quickening bar, and quickly zoned in and out after battles. It took about 30 minutes? I tried to mentally keep track of which levels of quickenings had been triggered, and how many. I also tried to prioritize Mist Charges when they came up. (On the other hand, I've since seen players say don't prioritize them, so who knows!)

There's definitely an element of luck involved, which sucks, and can make it tedious. This thread might be of use, I think I got some tips from there back in the day.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Just finished it. Some stray thoughts:
- biggest takeaway: battle system is cool, story is ... not good
- so, Vaan is basically a nobody. Cool?
- the story is poorly paced, a lot of what happens that is central to the plot happens off-screen and characters just talk about it
- lots of complicated names and events to keep track off
- I realize a lot of people enjoy this game, I did too; my biggest gripe is the story and the way it is presented
- art direction is bland; Basch has a twin brother you say? Everyone looks sorta the same
- Bahamut is a ship
- I'm confused by the central conceit of this game's conception; were they trying to subvert expectations at the expense of ditching everything that makes this series unique?
- overall, I'd rate it among the lower tier of FF games. I'm surprised to admit that FFXV was a whole order of magnitude better
There you have it! I'd give it a solid 7/10 as a game.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Recently got re-addicted to this game. Just got the Sword of Kings and now that I'm older, I'm really appreciating this game much more this time around. I remember the story kind of falling apart in the last third of the game when I originally played it, so let's see if it remains true this time around now that I'm more invested in the story.

Also, I know it isn't a big deal to most but playing this handheld on the Switch still feels like magic to me.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Credits are rolling, first time to beat it.

I put it as my second favorite numbered Final Fantasy, just after VI.

Amazing game, great story, great world.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm stuck around 6 hours in where I've returned from the palace and sewers, and now have a goal on the map screen saying "Can't wait to show Old Dalan and Penelo ... wherever she is."

I've checked a couple of walkthroughs and supposedly Migelo should be in his shop, after which I go to Old Dalan to get a sword? However Migelo isn't there, I can't see Old Dalan anywhere and I'm not sure where I need to go now. I've been what feels like all over Rabanastre and I can't see anything indicating somewhere I need to go.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm stuck around 6 hours in where I've returned from the palace and sewers, and now have a goal on the map screen saying "Can't wait to show Old Dalan and Penelo ... wherever she is."

I've checked a couple of walkthroughs and supposedly Migelo should be in his shop, after which I go to Old Dalan to get a sword? However Migelo isn't there, I can't see Old Dalan anywhere and I'm not sure where I need to go now. I've been what feels like all over Rabanastre and I can't see anything indicating somewhere I need to go.
You need to check the item shop to talk to kytes, then you need to see old dalan who is in the lowtown in the house next to the southgate

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the game last night. Pretty much as good as I remember it on the PS2. At minimum, the game is a solid foundation for an off-line, solo mmorpg format that I wish SE had pursued more of.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So i have a dilemma. I think i screwed up ny initial job choices?

I have had the ability to unlock the 2nd License Board for a bit but I'm not sure what to pick for my 2nd job with my current set up.

What should I do?

Vaan - Bushi
Balthier - Shikari
Fran - Red BM
Basch - Knight
Ashe - Black Mage
Penelo - Monk

Oops! What should i pick for the 2nd job for each of these characters?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

I have had the ability to unlock the 2nd License Board for a bit but I'm not sure what to pick for my 2nd job with my current set up.

What should I do?

Vaan - Bushi
Balthier - Shikari
Fran - Red BM
Basch - Knight
Ashe - Black Mage
Penelo - Monk

Why do you think you've screwed up? You haven't screwed up anything. In the Switch and XB1 versions of the game, you can change your characters' jobs (and secondary jobs) at Montblanc in Rabanastre.

Regardless, part of the reason people say the game is "easy" now is because of the dual classing, which the game wasn't originally balanced for. So even if you were stuck with your job choices (PS4/PC versions), with two jobs you'll always be OP, even if they aren't ideal min-max combos.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Just nabbed Addramalech as my second Esper. I have not yet completed the Ozmone plains, just taking my time exploring the world. Vaan is my Shikari and he's scratching level 60. Some great daggers are available early in this version. Been using Gladius since basically the start of the game, now I'm on a Platinum Dagger I picked up off a zombie while fighting Addramalech. With that 2x exp accessory I am running back and forth through underground tunnels smashing bad guys with a 1-person party... some of these dudes die in seconds and give over 10,000 exp per kill. Crazy.

I don't really know where to go next. Should finish up some hunts I suppose.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think you've screwed up? You haven't screwed up anything. In the Switch and XB1 versions of the game, you can change your characters' jobs (and secondary jobs) at Montblanc in Rabanastre.

Regardless, part of the reason people say the game is "easy" now is because of the dual classing, which the game wasn't originally balanced for. So even if you were stuck with your job choices (PS4/PC versions), with two jobs you'll always be OP, even if they aren't ideal min-max combos.
Well, do you have any good suggestions for pairings with the classes ive already chosen? Thanks!

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
So I've beaten it and bought FFX and am 5 hours into that, but I'm getting a craving to continue on playing.

I did the hunt subquest about the hunter after other hunters, and that was good fun. Are there any more good story bits in the hunts and other side quest stuff? I don't have all the espers yet, and there are two places I know of I haven't dully explored yet.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Vaan just broke level 60. Everyone is level 40-42. Taking a detour before I go to Jahara, to explore the Highwastes. I am not sure where else I can go at this point. It feels strange being this high a level, with just about everyone with two complete license boards, before I even have 2nd tier black magicks like Fira or Thundara. I've been in a few encounters that have been overly difficult because I'm lacking effective offensive abilities.

Like my first time through the game, I still don't understand Quickenings. Sometimes ten re-rolls gives me nothing, sometimes I get 12 in a row. Sometimes I need to double-tap a face button to select an option, because despite an input prompt appearing there are no attack names ready. And the name "quickening" is laughable when you consider how dull and slow the animation is. It's the worst part of combat by far.

I find some of the status conditions redundant. What's really the difference between disable and stone? Sap and poison? It feels like more could be happening here.

I wish Square would have experimented more with the combat in FF12. Gambits are unique and fun to play around with. This feels like a great place to build from. I imagine a game that lets you chain if/else and provides a few more options for programming your characters. "If ally has status reflect and is below 30% health, use X-potion, else if ally below 30% health use Cura." Rules like that would greatly expand what's possible. You could even implement a total logic limit or something so you'd have to weigh having many simple rules against fewer, more complex ones. Even separating the target from the logic check would be nice. Like "if self has status blind, use sight unseeing on nearest enemy." Right now there is no option to effectively use sight unseeing via gambit, as far as I can tell.

Is there anything out there that does this? That features more robust, programmable character behavior?

Last edited:

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
I find some of the status conditions redundant. What's really the difference between disable and stone? Sap and poison? It feels like more could be happening here.

FFXII has a BUNCH of ailments. The ones you mention are similar for sure - disable allows you to move around but not take any action, and the status will eventually wear off. Stone is basically being KO'ed, but retaining your HP is healed by a Gold Needle. Sap and Poison are super similar, except sap is a constant drain (I think 10HP/sec) and poison does proportionate damage in chunks based on your max HP. You can die from poison but not from sap.

And I love your gambit idea. Adding conditional gambits would really make things interesting.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the Gendarme trick still work for the Switch version of the game?

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Well, do you have any good suggestions for pairings with the classes ive already chosen? Thanks!

I actually don't think you've "messed up" nearly as much as you think. Here's some quick suggestions, using all 12 jobs.

Vaan - Bushi / Uhlan
Balthier - Shikari / White Mage
Fran - Red BM / Archer
Basch - Knight / Time Battlemage
Ashe - Black Mage / Machinist
Penelo - Monk / Foebreaker

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't think you've "messed up" nearly as much as you think. Here's some quick suggestions, using all 12 jobs.

Vaan - Bushi / Uhlan
Balthier - Shikari / White Mage
Fran - Red BM / Archer
Basch - Knight / Time Battlemage
Ashe - Black Mage / Machinist
Penelo - Monk / Foebreaker
Awesome thank you!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone gotten the Gendarme shield on the Switch version of the game? Been trying to get it to spawn for about 2 hours and nothing.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Does ether lore affect how much MP an ether gives to that character, or how much MP they will give using an ether?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Does ether lore affect how much MP an ether gives to that character, or how much MP they will give using an ether?
Pretty sure that's the "giver".

The one "using" an ether will restore more MP if they have Ether Lore (same with a bunch of other lores for potions and remedies).

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Recently beat it on Switch. First Final Fantasy I've beaten. Enjoyable enough on a gameplay and story level, though not quite as good as it could've been if I had more than an inkling of an idea of what I was doing. Ashe cool. Balthier cool. Might try to do some bigger challenges later after figuring out how to optimize everything.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

What should I do?

Vaan - Bushi
Balthier - Shikari
Fran - Red BM
Basch - Knight
Ashe - Black Mage
Penelo - Monk

These are my builds towards the end game especially going for Yiazmat. But again it don't matter just play around till it suits your game style

2bhaPt0.png

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Just picked up the game and I am playing through it for the first time and I've got a question, do some characters have built in licenses or something? I made Fran an Archer and somehow she can use some Black Magic and White Magic skills (She doesn't have access to those licenses on her License board) and I'm not sure exactly where it is coming from. Just trying to understand exactly how it all works.