• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help. I'm going to keep the weapons I have now then on Lightning and Vanille and just get the Taming Pole for Fang. I haven't found it yet and the store you can buy it from isn't available to me yet so I guess I just keep playing and I'll find it?
You'll find it in a chest toward the end of the chapter. It's hard to miss.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I heard LR has more open spaces but it would be pretty surprising if it was as open as

LR is a true open world game.

You can do anything anywhere in any order. The game barely has a beginning and ending sequence ,the rest of is truly non-linear.
Its not particularly well done and the time limit sucks but its the most non linear FF game to date.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm not sure how to jump back into FF XIII-2 so many years after playing FF XIII. It seems I've forgotten a good part of the main plot, too.
XIII-2 includes a story recap of XIII on the main menu ("Beginner's Primer"). The datalogs in XIII-2 also contain tons of stuff about XIII.

I heard LR has more open spaces but it would be pretty surprising if it was as open as XII.
It is. LR has a small linear prologue and finale, but everything in between is a gigantic open world where you can tackle the four areas and five main objectives in any order. It's the most nonlinear FF out there, outside of the MMOs.

Oct 31, 2017

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Are there any load times in there ?
A few, but they're pretty short. Mostly a big one at the beginning or when beaming down from the Ark at the beginning of a new day. Areas aren't segmented like they are in 12, either.

Wait, those four areas are as big as what we got in 12 ?
Not as big overall, but LR's world is pretty damn large for a timed game. Each of the four areas is massive, and there's quite a few big dungeons to explore as well.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I literally forgot I owned the LE XIII-2 pink boxset for the soundtrack. Pretty sure I've never listened to it properly. Which OST is better out of XIII and XIII-2? XIII is one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how to jump back into FF XIII-2 so many years after playing FF XIII. It seems I've forgotten a good part of the main plot, too.

There's a pretty good re-cap and the story of XIII-2 doesn't rely tooo much on the previous game to tell it. It's different enough I'd say that one can just jump in with XIII-2 even.

definitely XIII-2! although it had a weaker plot the fact that there's not a lot of main players in the story gives a lot of time for Serah/Noel/the villain's to flesh out their backgrounds and character development which I loved. and the game play being very Tri Ace i.e. very messy and breakable gave it a very fun and different feel from XIII's combat and ability system.

I don't know, I'd say XIII-2 definitely had the stronger plot and more laser focused in general. I think it's the game that made the best use of the FNC lore and its interpretation. It's probably the most FF game alongside ARR from the recent batch of FF's, but I agree that the smaller main cast made for great character development and chemistry between Serah and Noel.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I literally forgot I owned the LE XIII-2 pink boxset for the soundtrack. Pretty sure I've never listened to it properly. Which OST is better out of XIII and XIII-2? XIII is one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.
I think XIII is one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, and yet I think I like XIII-2 even more.

XIII does the symphonic ultra-drama thing perfectly... but the electronic/pop elements of XIII-2 push it even further for me personally.

Regardless, they're both amazing soundtracks and LR is not bad either. The trilogy is nothing if not aurally amazing.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Gonna be hard to play non enhanced titles after this. XIII-2 looks so good on a 4KTV.

Games not great yet but I'll keep going.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
whelp*

Now that I found out where it lives gonna look up a guide...

o7VobdH.png

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017

XIII-2's is right up there with XIII, but it depends on your tastes since it has a good amount of pop style music- quite varied. Some of my favourite tracks:
https://youtu.be/2VMfRAlX1r4 <- Plains of Eternity
https://youtu.be/Zb1jl6axiXE <- An Arrow Through Time
https://youtu.be/WvGnmt70kms <- Heart of Chaos
https://youtu.be/SnvzYXtdeTo <- Starting Over

I don't know how to embed, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
A few, but they're pretty short. Mostly a big one at the beginning or when beaming down from the Ark at the beginning of a new day. Areas aren't segmented like they are in 12, either.

Not as big overall, but LR's world is pretty damn large for a timed game. Each of the four areas is massive, and there's quite a few big dungeons to explore as well.

Well, that sounds great. I just need a One X now ! :D

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Wait death works on bosses?
Only some bosses...but yes. The exceptions to the rule are quite interesting, however: the final boss himself is susceptible to it when he's staggered.

The chances of Death working are (1+n)%, where n is the number of ailments the boss is currently suffering. Having additional SABs in the party will also help this chance a little.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT

Beaten by poster above :P

anyway I gotta level up my crystariums my tanker snow can't handle the heat

Just let Fang tank when you need it. She does everything way better than him and is almost as good a SEN, generally.

I mean, you should really get used to controlling Fang anyway because once you get that Growth Egg, it becomes super time-economical to farm Adams on Gran Pulse, so Highwind is a necessity in that regard.

PSA for all players: DO NOT COMPLETE MISSIONS 56-62 IN THE CIE'TH STONE CIRCLE UNTIL YOU ARE DONE FARMING TURTLES AS THE ADAMANTOISES (EASY FARM) WILL DISAPPEAR FROM GRAN PULSE AND BE REPLACED BY LONG GUIS (DON'T EVEN BOTHER FARM).

If all seven are completed, your grind method changes substantially, and not for the better. You can do 62 for a Genji Glove safely, I believe, but save before doing it just to be cautious.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or is FFXIII not as "bad" as I remember people bitching about on NeoGaf?

The first 3 hours are pretty boring and overly hand holdy (I let my kid blast through that part ;) but I actually like the combat system starting from when paradigms open up.

I've enjoyed replaying XIII way more than XV anyway. Probably would have beaten it on PS3 if my launch PS3 didn't die and cloud saves were available at the time. Swear to god they came out within 3 months of my PS3 dying and my getting a slim.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just let Fang tank when you need it. She does everything way better than him and is almost as good a SEN, generally.

I mean, you should really get used to controlling Fang anyway because once you get that Growth Egg, it becomes super time-economical to farm Adams on Gran Pulse, so Highwind is a necessity in that regard.

I guess I should level up that taming pole ?

EDIT

Also things like; Cactuar doll, Plush Chocobo, Gold Dust, Gold Nugget just sell them ??

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or is FFXIII not as "bad" as I remember people bitching about on NeoGaf?

The first 3 hours are pretty boring and overly hand holdy (I let my kid blast through that part ;) but I actually like the combat system starting from when paradigms open up.

I've enjoyed replaying XIII way more than XV anyway. Probably would have beaten it on PS3 if my launch PS3 didn't die and cloud saves were available at the time. Swear to god they came out within 3 months of my PS3 dying and my getting a slim.
I've always loved this game, but I completely understand the people who were looking for something else in a numbered Final Fantasy. I think if the exact same game had come out with a different title, people would have been much more receptive to it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone know of any good weapon upgrading guides? Want to start upgrading Axis Blade and Gae Bolg.

I think XIII is one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, and yet I think I like XIII-2 even more.

XIII does the symphonic ultra-drama thing perfectly... but the electronic/pop elements of XIII-2 push it even further for me personally.

Regardless, they're both amazing soundtracks and LR is not bad either. The trilogy is nothing if not aurally amazing.

I never ripped the OST to my PC, no wonder I've never listened to it. I feel like I should play the game first actually going through it though.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So I'm currently busy playing Darksiders 3 but I shall return to FF13 tomorrow or Monday.

I'm in Chapter 11, progressing so I can unlock stage 9 to get death and then I'll do the mission to get the growth egg.

I've noticed people talking about the best/easy farming spots after that and to not progress past a certain point or else that easy grinding enemy will be replaced with another? What should I be mindful of? Can I start the grind straight after I get the Growth Egg?

My team is Lightning, Fang and Vanille. Light with Carbine, Vanille with Wand and planning to get the Pole for Fang once I find it. I guess for the fight with the enemy that gives you the Growth Egg I should put Vanille in the lead as that was I can be the one spamming Death. I guess I should just spam that and nothing else?

Kind of itching to get back to FF13 now just thinking about it, I should be done with Darksiders 3 soon enough though.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I should level up that taming pole ?

EDIT

Also things like; Cactuar doll, Plush Chocobo, Gold Dust, Gold Nugget just sell them ??

Yes on leveling that Taming Pole. For future reference:

Maxed out Taming Pole
Maxed out Fang
Battle buffed Fang
Debuffed enemy
Genji Glove in the mix
999% Stagger Bar

This will get you upwards of 1.5 million damage with one Highwind. Higher if you have STR accessories on her.

re: monster drops: I thinnk if it says it can be sold for a premium, then you just sell it? SOmebody else might have to confirm that for me.

Anyone know of any good weapon upgrading guides? Want to start upgrading Axis Blade and Gae Bolg.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/950899-final-fantasy-xiii/54014417

The part about the multiplier is the key part to keep in mind. Do some minor calculations to see how much exp you need to max out a weapon so you're not wasting too much money overstuffing. Here's the chart:

wu3g2e6.jpg

I guess I should just spam that and nothing else?

Once you land that Death and get the egg, you don't ever have to control Vanille ever again, though I think I may have had her on point for the final superboss so I could be smarter with healing and debuffing.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Played it a bit when it originally released wasn't feeling it but last night I bought it on steam and played about an hour and can't wait to play more.

Strange how that shit works

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017

PSA for all players: DO NOT COMPLETE MISSIONS 56-62 IN THE CIE'TH STONE CIRCLE UNTIL YOU ARE DONE FARMING TURTLES AS THE ADAMANTOISES (EASY FARM) WILL DISAPPEAR FROM GRAN PULSE AND BE REPLACED BY LONG GUIS (DON'T EVEN BOTHER FARM).

If all seven are completed, your grind method changes substantially, and not for the better. You can do 62 for a Genji Glove safely, I believe, but save before doing it just to be cautious.

Thanks for that PSA!. Quick question: Is it worth to farm those Sacrifice enemies in chapter 13? I read somewhere that is faster than farming turtles and I'm at the point that I can start farming but I'm not getting the 30 seconds kills that I see in every video of people doing that.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Quick question: Is it worth to farm those Sacrifice enemies in chapter 13?
Yes - it's absolutely the best way to farm for gil before the end of the storyline. Sacrifices drop Perfume commonly, which sell for 12,500 each, and rarely Scarletite, which you'd otherwise have to pay 100,000 each for. You need a bunch of Scarletite (about a dozen) if you want to get Treasure Hunter, so don't sell them unless you have a ton of them. More info here.

If you have a version of the game where you can change the difficulty, set it to Easy if you just want gil. Easy difficulty makes common drops much more common (and rare drops much more rare, so DON'T play on easy if you want to farm Scarletite).

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved this game, but I completely understand the people who were looking for something else in a numbered Final Fantasy. I think if the exact same game had come out with a different title, people would have been much more receptive to it.

Yeah it was another one of the internet Hive kind hating on a beloved franchise trying something different. Their pitchforks were sharpened after X-2 and I think the lack of towns kind of hurt it. If XIII-2 hit first there probably wouldn't have been as many complaints. The story doesn't seem as convoluted to me either...

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for that PSA!. Quick question: Is it worth to farm those Sacrifice enemies in chapter 13? I read somewhere that is faster than farming turtles and I'm at the point that I can start farming but I'm not getting the 30 seconds kills that I see in every video of people doing that.

This is not an issue. You can still farm the Adamantoise in Eden easily. It does not get replaced by a Long Gui.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

Sacrifice farming is good for money, definitely, but you'll need Traps, and turtles drop those unless you wanna grind the money and buy those as well (that could take a little time but Sacrifice farming makes grinding for money a bit easier). Not sure what the xp differential is between the two, though!

Last edited:

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it was another one of the internet Hive kind hating on a beloved franchise trying something different. Their pitchforks were sharpened after X-2 and I think the lack of towns kind of hurt it. If XIII-2 hit first there probably wouldn't have been as many complaints. The story doesn't seem as convoluted to me either...

I think had XIII not been ridden with development troubles (and I guess even Versus) it would have had everything XIII-2 did, minus I guess its plot and time mechanics. Despite that, I still genuinely enjoyed it back then and now. Sure it definitely has its flaws and a lot that probably wouldn't have existed had it been smooth-sailing, but it was still a pretty complete experience. Plot is what it is, like any game you either like it or don't.

This thread made me nab XIII-2 and LR on Steam since it was on sale. The opening moments of XIII-2 is still a wild ride and love the dynamic title cards for each Episode.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You know all those years of people saying the combat sucks for the first 20 hours weren't actually that far off. I mean I'm almost done with chapter 9 and the is still forcing you to do boss fights with 2 characters. It's understandable how so many people complained at launch and couldn't make it to the point where it "gets good".

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I mean I'm almost done with chapter 9 and the is still forcing you to do boss fights with 2 characters.
If you're almost done with ch.9, you're extremely close to finally having a three-person party that you can fully customize. The final area of that chapter is basically a big training ground against lots of tough enemies to see which party comps work and which don't.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If you're almost done with ch.9, you're extremely close to finally having a three-person party that you can fully customize. The final area of that chapter is basically a big training ground against lots of tough enemies to see which party comps work and which don't.

Yeah I know but at the point you're probably already approaching 20 hours. I always thought people were exaggerating since I haven't finished it since launch but it's actually not that far off the mark really. The Sazh and Vanille sections in particular are incredibly dull.

Last edited:

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah I know but at the point you're probably already approaching 20 hours. I always thought people were exaggerating since I haven't finished it since launch but it's actually not there far off the mark really. The Sazh and Vanille sections in particular are incredibly dull.

I completely forgot that nine of the thirteen chapters are just two party members and the combat system still isn't fully opened up...more than half-way through all the chapters in the game.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember the moment-to-moment gameplay of XIII, but it's definitely valid. I think they should have added guest party members to help with that at least if they had not.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So I'm currently busy playing Darksiders 3 but I shall return to FF13 tomorrow or Monday.

I'm in Chapter 11, progressing so I can unlock stage 9 to get death and then I'll do the mission to get the growth egg.

I've noticed people talking about the best/easy farming spots after that and to not progress past a certain point or else that easy grinding enemy will be replaced with another? What should I be mindful of? Can I start the grind straight after I get the Growth Egg?

My team is Lightning, Fang and Vanille. Light with Carbine, Vanille with Wand and planning to get the Pole for Fang once I find it. I guess for the fight with the enemy that gives you the Growth Egg I should put Vanille in the lead as that was I can be the one spamming Death. I guess I should just spam that and nothing else?

Kind of itching to get back to FF13 now just thinking about it, I should be done with Darksiders 3 soon enough though.
Right, I have finished Darksiders 3. Going to grab some Chinese food and then dive back into FF13. Any additional tips to my post from last night, quoted above ^^ would be amazing. Aiming for thay Growth Egg today.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Having 2 party members isn't that big of a deal, but they needed to open up all 6 classes from the get go. That was the main problem as far as combat goes.

XIII would benefit tremendously from an in depth remaster like The Zodiac Age where they actually go in and change things. Add side quests, mini games, and NPC interactions that eliminate the need for the data log and help break up the battle/cutscene/battle/cutscene nature of the first half of the game, open up all 6 classes from the get go, overhaul the weapon upgrade system so you know exactly how many resources to invest and know exactly what you're going to get from it, as it is right now you need a guide.

The combat, visuals, music, art style, and polish are all top tier, the game is so close to being amazing, i still love it despite its flaws though.

Oct 31, 2017
Would you guys recommend I jump into FF13 or play Lost Odyssey first?

Both are linear games but XIII is a more linear experience than LO. With that said, I consider LO to be a way better game.

Start with XIII if you intend to play the sequels then you'll be able to play XIII then LO then XIII-2 and avoid potential burnout :P

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys recommend I jump into FF13 or play Lost Odyssey first?
I started LO. A few months ago for the first time, and got started with XIII for the first time last week.

Here's my LTTP:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lttp-lost-odyssey-or-bizarro-ffx.61958/

I'm too early into XIII to give a meaningful comparison but here's my first glance impressions:

- LO is very clearly a follow-up to FF7-9 in its design. It features random encounters, slow, menu-based combat where you control each party member by turns, big towns, tons of NPCs with text box dialogue, etc.
- FXIII looks way better, specially with the X enhancements LO so badly needs. It just feels more modern overall and I find the combat to be significantly more fast paced flashy and fun.

I think these games scratch different itches, with LO sticking to an older approach (which I also love, not saying it as a negative) while XIII wanted to achieve a more meaningful "this is next gen" vibe.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Well almost finished Chapter 11 but turned around and got the Neochu mission for the Growth Egg. Now stood in front of it about to take this thing on... please be kind to me RNG and get this Death spell off quickly.