• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do like how they destroyed their worlds in all 3 games lol In many ways the FFXIII was more Versus FF, it's an anti final fantasy game in so many ways. Chosen ones being cursed was so inspiring but I did wish that they did more with that.

The funny thing is that the trilogy almost works as a subversion of common JRPG tropes. The subtext mostly says that not a goddamn thing you are doing will change the outcome. XIII's ending is contradictory and half-assed but pretty much says hoping for a miracle is the best you can do. XIII-2's beginning completely fucks XIII's ending and says "nah, you done goofed" and XIII-2's ending was a forgone conclusion. Problem is that LR goes straight for the "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP HYPER SOUL BEAAAAAAM!" ending where they all end up in France so that doesn't even work.

This trilogy, for all it's faults, is endlessly fascinating.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
My save file says Play Time: 55 hours. Atleast 10 of those hours must have been me trying to kill a Neochu for the Growth Egg.

ANYWAY... I just finished FF13, it seriously looked beautiful throughout. Should I dive straight into 13-2 now?

What's shocked me the most about playing this is just how enjoyable and likeable most facets of the game are. From the characters to the world you explore - it's amazing. Heck I was so invested in the characters that the ending got me all choked up.

Ever since this game came out all I've heard was negativity so I'm really glad I've finally been able to play it myself and gain my own opinion on it. As a note I've also only played a few other FF games. I've played and finished 6, 7, 10 and 15. So 13 makes my 5th FF I've played and finished. I've also played a bunch of others but never finished them like 9, 10-2 and a bunch of the older/2D ones which only 6 grabbed me and I played that around the same time I played Chrono Trigger and I love both those games.

Lightning is bae for life too. Now I see why Motomu Toriyama kept (maybe keeps) trying to get his girlfriend to dress as Lightning... actually no, that's kinda creepy to ask your other half to dress as something you created, it'd be like George Lucas asking his then wife to dress like Leia in Return of the Jedi... who am I kidding he totally did that.

Anyway... tangent aside. Seriously... this game was amazing. I think Chapter 12 was a stand out for me in terms of increasing the games overall challenge and just being so damn beautiful:

Chapter 13 was a surprising conclusion to the game so I'm excited to dive into 2 and LR to see where they go with this. And hey... atleast that's another game off my backlog of 8 years (TBH I have a very short backlog and I probably wasn't ever intending to revisit FF13 but the Xbox One X BC drew me back in).

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I played Lightning Returns for a couple hours and left it, not sure if I'm going to come back to it to be honest. Not a fan of the story at all and the moment I saw it had a timer I was out. The whole quest nature of the game wasn't helping, though I did like the graphics and the fluidity of combat/exploration.
My save file says Play Time: 55 hours. Atleast 10 of those hours must have been me trying to kill a Neochu for the Growth Egg.

ANYWAY... I just finished FF13, it seriously looked beautiful throughout. Should I dive straight into 13-2 now?

What's shocked me the most about playing this is just how enjoyable and likeable most facets of the game are. From the characters to the world you explore - it's amazing. Heck I was so invested in the characters that the ending got me all choked up.

Ever since this game came out all I've heard was negativity so I'm really glad I've finally been able to play it myself and gain my own opinion on it. As a note I've also only played a few other FF games. I've played and finished 6, 7, 10 and 15. So 13 makes my 5th FF I've played and finished. I've also played a bunch of others but never finished them like 9, 10-2 and a bunch of the older/2D ones which only 6 grabbed me and I played that around the same time I played Chrono Trigger and I love both those games.

Lightning is bae for life too. Now I see why Motomu Toriyama kept (maybe keeps) trying to get his girlfriend to dress as Lightning... actually no, that's kinda creepy to ask your other half to dress as something you created, it'd be like George Lucas asking his then wife to dress like Leia in Return of the Jedi... who am I kidding he totally did that.

Anyway... tangent aside. Seriously... this game was amazing. I think Chapter 12 was a stand out for me in terms of increasing the games overall challenge and just being so damn beautiful:

Chapter 13 was a surprising conclusion to the game so I'm excited to dive into 2 and LR to see where they go with this. And hey... atleast that's another game off my backlog of 8 years (TBH I have a very short backlog and I probably wasn't ever intending to revisit FF13 but the Xbox One X BC drew me back in).

Jump right into XIII-2, I did with no regrets, great game.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Started up FF XIII-2 yesterday. Overall enjoyed my night with it for about four hours. Time travel is always a cool concept and I also like the dialogues. The battle system is as good as ever.

I do think if FF XV was FF XIII it would have had an even better reception, and FF XIII as FF XV in the open world gen of games would have made a great more linear AAA experience for a change.

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
I last played this on PS3 maybe 6 or 7 years ago - it's a nice change of pace like some folks are saying after RDR2. That being said - I REALLY wish backwards compatible games had the suspend-resume function. You don't know how helpful it is until it's gone.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This happened to me back in 2010. I finally replayed the entire game after the Xbox BC was released, push through 11, it's dense and has a lot of options there. 12-13 return to the more linear nature of the previous chapters however.

Yeah I guess I don't really have any desire to play this game as an open world. It doesn't help that the visuals are the last interesting and it's the only area where the frame rate starts getting spooky on 1X. I really want to play chapter 12 though so I will get around to it eventually.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
B4rzonD.gif

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Heck I was so invested in the characters that the ending got me all choked up.
It's nice to see the cast being appreciated. And if you or anyone else whats to learn more about them, they are going to officially release the novellas next year (there's a fan translation here.). The first one deals with the cast in the days before the Purge.
The first chapter was made into an audio drama with the Japanese VAs. It was also fan translated here with some added imagery.

Hey LukarWuff now that banners can be added, I have a suggestion:
lightforever2jfi8j.jpg

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see the cast being appreciated. And if you or anyone else whats to learn more about them, they are going to officially release the novellas next year (there's a fan translation here.). The first one deals with the cast in the days before the Purge.
The first chapter was made into an audio drama with the Japanese VAs. It was also fan translated here with some added imagery.

lightforever2jfi8j.jpg
I tried, but apparently it's too big lol. I'll do it next time I'm at my computer.

Also, they're releasing the novellas in English finally? I hadn't heard. That'll be really cool.

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
I played Lightning Returns for a couple hours and left it, not sure if I'm going to come back to it to be honest. Not a fan of the story at all and the moment I saw it had a timer I was out. The whole quest nature of the game wasn't helping, though I did like the graphics and the fluidity of combat/exploration.

Jump right into XIII-2, I did with no regrets, great game.

If you play it on easy you don't really need to worry about running out of time. the game on easy is as hard as a regular ff game ie not hard at all. it's a very cool experience and definitely one of the most interesting weird game sequels in all of gaming. I really regret not playing it as soon as it came out because it addressed my complaint about XIII being not as experimental as I wanted it to be.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

lightforever2jfi8j.jpg
Thanks. I'll totally check those out.

I've been busy this week so I've only put maybe an hour into 13-2... I don't like it so far. They haven't explained a lot so I'm asking why a lot, such as how is lightning in Valhalla, what or who is an Etro, why is this dude who sounds like War from Darksiders angry with Lightning and I'm the new male lead is doing nothing for me yet.

That all said I think it will grow on me in time, I don't hate Sarah but that's probably because I love Lightning so having Sarah is a small connection to her. I really want the game to just explain how the ending of 13 has been changed and some of the other lore things so we can get a sense of why we're even on this journey but like I said I'll keep playing soon and hope it grabs me like 13 did. I miss Lightning being my main playable character too but getting to fight as her in Valhalla was cool.

I'm a huge fan of time travel stories so I'm hoping i fall in love with this game in time.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017

I've been busy this week so I've only put maybe an hour into 13-2... I don't like it so far. They haven't explained a lot so I'm asking why a lot, such as how is lightning in Valhalla, what or who is an Etro, why is this dude who sounds like War from Darksiders angry with Lightning and I'm the new male lead is doing nothing for me yet.

A lot of that is eventually answered. Whether you like the story path is of course subjective, but lot of it is answered and is tied to the lore, haha.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

That all said I think it will grow on me in time, I don't hate Sarah but that's probably because I love Lightning so having Sarah is a small connection to her. I really want the game to just explain how the ending of 13 has been changed and some of the other lore things so we can get a sense of why we're even on this journey but like I said I'll keep playing soon and hope it grabs me like 13 did. I miss Lightning being my main playable character too but getting to fight as her in Valhalla was cool.

I'm a huge fan of time travel stories so I'm hoping i fall in love with this game in time.

Hopefully you can watch the 16-bit recap and stop around the 5min mark. I hope this is right......... Etro is a Fal'Cie and a goddess who sacrificed herself to try and get the attention of her creator and her blood was used to make humans. Etro's gate is a gateway to the afterlife, something the creator Bhunivelze and his Fal'cie are trying to find so that he can gain immortality. Etro, Pulse, Lindzei were created by Bhunivelze. The rest of this.. well, might be best to read up more instead of my convoluted spewing.

Last edited:

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I just started playing this on a Friday night. Got to chapter 4 and whew. This combat is miserable right now with just Vanille and Sazh. It feels like battles can take 5 minutes. Everything is so slow.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing this on a Friday night. Got to chapter 4 and whew. This combat is miserable right now with just Vanille and Sazh. It feels like battles can take 5 minutes. Everything is so slow.
For what it's worth, I think the part of the game you're at is the worst point. It does drag a bit in chapter 4. It gets better afterwards, both from a gameplay and story perspective.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it common with intense slowdown in xiii-2? We're talking slow motion 2-5 frames per second here, and it's happening a lot. Seems to be happening lore often when there's something "different" happening, such as starting a dialogue, opening chests, sudden spikes in amount of stuff on screen, but it varies a lot.

Game is near unplayable at frequent points due to this :-\

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Lightning's summon boss fight in Chapter 4 is absolutely destroying me. He attacks twice in a row, I'm dead.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Right outside the chapter 9 boss. This guy forced me to stop playing this game back when this originally came out.

The enemies here are kicking my ass. I'm going to probably roll back a save and grind for a few hours to maybe help with the boss fight. It's going to suck. This area has the most HP sponge enemies in the whole game so far. Those like shelled enemies take me 7+ minutes to beat. It's absurd. I feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Right outside the chapter 9 boss. This guy forced me to stop playing this game back when this originally came out.

The enemies here are kicking my ass. I'm going to probably roll back a save and grind for a few hours to maybe help with the boss fight. It's going to suck. This area has the most HP sponge enemies in the whole game so far. Those like shelled enemies take me 7+ minutes to beat. It's absurd. I feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

are you investing CP into each character's crystarium?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Maybe lower the difficulty?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Yeah. I'm leveling up with CP. I've been upgrading weapons, too. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Everything is just suddenly taking forever to kill.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I added the cover that Dragmire suggested! Sorry it took a bit.

Also, do the images in the OP load for anyone?

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I forget that chapter 11 in XIII lasts forever. I think I've spent about 10 hours on it with only an hour or two being farming. Still enjoying playing it again though. Game looks great. I can't wait for the PS4 FF's to come to X1 next year. I probably won't get anywhere close, but I want to try and complete every Final Fantasy game on the X1 achievement wise.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All versions of XIII on Xbox have the English dub. Saves/achievements are compatible with all versions too
Wow, so there's no good reason why anybody should not dowload the Ultimate Hits version? I own it digitally, so all I have to do is switch my Xbox to Hong Kong to download it?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm downloading the Ultimate Hits International version.

Last edited:

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Whew. The (first?) chapter 10 boss was wild. That was brutal. Guy stayed at 20% health for like 5 minutes. Lol.

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty disappointing that the Xbox version doesn't have the Japanese dub. Just to amuse myself, I used picture-in-picture mode on my TV and ran through the opening area on Xbox One X and PS3 (with the Japanese version). Had to pause every so often to sync up the cutscenes, because the Xbox One X would load faster than the PS3, but it was kinda fun for a few minutes anyway. It'd be such a tedious way to play through the whole game, haha! Now if only there was a way to have one set of controller inputs go to two systems...

I can't believe it's been almost a decade since the game came out!

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Damnit. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Just got to the first group of enemies in chapter 11 and it's back to the usual 7 minute slog. That's what I get for running past a lot of enemies in chapter 10 (so tired of the combat. Haha).

How long am to the end of the game now? I assume theres 13 chapters. I heard it becomes an open world in chapter 12. Hoping I don't have that much left. I'm really burned out on the combat. It's interesting but everything is such a slog imo.

I feel like I'm limited with money and upgrade materials seemingly so sparse. It doesn't help that my characters keep getting force swapped on me in story parts after I've established a main crew of Hope/Fang/Lightning. They have all the upgraded accessories and weapons. When I get forced to play with someone like Vanille who I haven't bothered upgrading anything with, I get placed at a huge disadvantage.

Doing the stagger song and dance every fight is really taking it out of me.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Damnit. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Just got to the first group of enemies in chapter 11 and it's back to the usual 7 minute slog. That's what I get for running past a lot of enemies in chapter 10 (so tired of the combat. Haha).

How long am to the end of the game now? I assume theres 13 chapters. I heard it becomes an open world in chapter 12. Hoping I don't have that much left. I'm really burned out on the combat. It's interesting but everything is such a slog imo.

I feel like I'm limited with money and upgrade materials seemingly so sparse. It doesn't help that my characters keep getting force swapped on me in story parts after I've established a main crew of Hope/Fang/Lightning. They have all the upgraded accessories and weapons. When I get forced to play with someone like Vanille who I haven't bothered upgrading anything with, I get placed at a huge disadvantage.

Doing the stagger song and dance every fight is really taking it out of me.

Generally I would suggest to hold weapon upgrading till Chap 12, where it's easier to get materials. I tend to not bother with the system before that.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Just finished XIII-2, people weren't kidding when they said it was short compared to XIII, just under 30 hours after finishing the final boss and credits. Still some endgame content I want to cover of course but still, surprising.

And yeah, the ending has got me fucked up. So thankful that wasn't spoiled so many years after release.