• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
360 shot from original Eurogamer article:
360_001.jpg.jpg

Xbox One shot from the social feed, looks to be 1080 supersampled (click the image for the full size version):

And PS3 shot from the same Eurogamer article:

PS3_001.jpg.jpg

360-to-xb1x-compareqrilf.gif

I love when a comparison lets you see a nice jump even just at 1080p, let alone 4K.

EteRnal PAL

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII, Xbox One X, 4k cutscene screenshot:

20348d3e-9500-4295-b5dd-557277401065.PNG

Final Fantasy XIII, Xbox One X, 4k in-game screenshots:

7835a76e-bc70-4135-b646-2d02227d4373.PNG

9d39be20-16f4-49b8-8dc1-373a7450bc16.PNG

3b398168-224e-4a65-8134-a6fe14b4a217.PNG

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are really making my work day go by so slowly. Can't wait to get home and dive into these again. Very happy to hear that the cutscenes have indeed been improved to some extent, and those screenshots are just gorgeous.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, the difference is night and day. I missed all three of these games last generation. Glad I went out on a limb last night and ordered used copies of all three from GameStop.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'll have to play it myself to be sure, but I dare say the shadows look better than they do on the PC version.
Shadows are default to like 512 on PC, you can put them up to like 8K though, Xbox seems to be 2K shadows here. Honestly surprised at the work done on this, was it Microsoft or Square that did it?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So is the game playable yet ? Still getting this game cant be played error

It may just still be propagating in your territory, but the two things to try are physically removing then putting back in the disc, or doing a full system restart to try to "ping" it. In the Northeast US, mine went live shortly after the announcement Tweet.

Final Fantasy XIII, Xbox One X, 4k cutscene screenshot:

20348d3e-9500-4295-b5dd-557277401065.PNG

So the source is obviously lower-res than 4K, but I'm not seeing much in the way of obvious banding/artifacts I'd have expected in the blacks and edges of light radiance. Even messing with the curves in Photoshop to exaggerate those issues, that's looking rather solid.

I wish we had a 360 source to compare, but uhh....I wouldn't totally dismiss this being a different video encoding than the original.

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
I just loaded my save from the 360 somewhere on disc 3. There was no swap disc prompt. it just loaded straight into Taejin's tower. Pretty sure they've done something cause it should've asked me to insert a disc lol.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I just loaded my save from the 360 somewhere on disc 3. There was no swap disc prompt. it just loaded straight into Taejin's tower. Pretty sure they've done something cause it should've asked me to insert a disc lol.
That's how multi-disc 360 games are on Xbox One. They get rid of the disc prompts. It's awesome.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
It may just still be propagating in your territory, but the two things to try are physically removing then putting back in the disc, or doing a full system restart to try to "ping" it. In the Northeast US, mine went live shortly after the announcement Tweet.

So the source is obviously lower-res than 4K, but I'm not seeing much in the way of obvious banding/artifacts I'd have expected in the blacks and edges of light radiance. Even messing with the curves in Photoshop to exaggerate those issues, that's looking rather solid.

I wish we had a 360 source to compare, but uhh....I wouldn't totally dismiss this being a different video encoding than the original.

fuck im a idiot, been sitting here for hours -_- thanks man, i ejected it an put it back in, downloading now sigh

zMMtQDx.jpg

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017

IIRC the opening video was better than the stuff later in the game. Like intro to Eden CG was really bad.

I don't know if this BC release came with a patch or updated download. The original release of 360 overall was very bad with video compression. Later when it came out in Japan on 360, like 2 years later, that build had much better compression. Maybe this BC release is using some of that improvement?

The CG shot here looks about same as PC version to me, which was a lot better than 360 but still quite a bit worse than PS3 though not to the extent to be unwatchable. It was acceptable.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. FF13 is region locked. Must go back home, dig my X360, use VPN just to buy it using MS points.

Feelsbadman.

If there is one thing I hate about BC, it's must use credit card shit. I ain't switching my region for one game fuck off.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Did they seriously improve the FMV? Good Lord, please be true. If so, Microsoft put more work into this than Square Enix put into the PC version.

I didn't expect I'd be playing FF13 again this month, but...my hand has been forced.

Well it's definitely improved from the original 360. Although I wonder if it's on par or below the PS3 blu ray quality

more 1080p cut scene screens

aycEp3P.png

UNucu8l.png

in game 1080p

pVeVXhU.png

heBIuUS.png

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
Ok time to finish the games again.
Does Lost odyssey has an X patch ? It is better to play it on a X ?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
This is incredible. Gran Pulse that's not constantly running below 30 fps would be enough for me, but this looks so good. And they even upgraded the videos? Now I can totally understand why these took so long.

Lost odyssey still shows the prompt for disc swaps it just auto closes it as soon as it pops. i just tested this on the memory lamp with my save on disc 4. Here it doesn't even prompt...just loads straight up.

Speaking of which, Lost Odyssey NEEDS this treatment.

And Blue Dragon, can you imagine?

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
what is the file size of this now? You can tell from that if it has new encode.

The original was 6GB per disk and obviously they had to include duplicate data for the game file itself. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ffxiii-360-less-than-half-the-size-of-ps3-game-blog-entry

PC version takes like between 30 to 40GB in comparison and PS3 version was 40GB too.
30.6GB for 13 iirc from earlier in the thread. About 12GB more than original 360 release.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Lost odyssey still shows the prompt for disc swaps it just auto closes it as soon as it pops. i just tested this on the memory lamp with my save on disc 4. Here it doesn't even prompt...just loads straight up.
Oh, huh. My bad. I thought I heard that BC 360 games don't put up disc prompts at all.

what is the file size of this now? You can tell from that if it has new encode.

The original was 6GB per disk and obviously they had to include duplicate data for the game file itself. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ffxiii-360-less-than-half-the-size-of-ps3-game-blog-entry

PC version takes like between 30 to 40GB in comparison and PS3 version was 40GB too.
I think someone said it's 30.56GB earlier in the thread. It's pretty big.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has new encode then. I'm guessing it's same as PC. It's still bink but it's pretty reasonable looking.

Definitely more work went into this release than your average BC release. They actually replaced the game data.