• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
In a recent interview from Gamescom (available in German), Naoki Yoshida, producer and designer of Final Fantasy XIV, made some interesting comments that I wanted to share with everyone:

While there were was no comment on a possible Nintendo Switch version, Yoshia said there were extensive talks between Square-Enix and Phil Spencer at E3 on this matter. Square stated it has a good relationship with Microsoft and is positive that there might be good news for Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox One "soon".

Furthermore, the subscription model of the game is likely to continue. Square thinks the free trials up to level 34 are a "very fair" offer, even if some players might prefer other business models. He added this includes the notion that the base game is and will not be free of charge. Only subscriptions would allow devs to produce the amount of quality add-on contents in such a short time span.

Also, and I think this might be new information, Square has no plans for a new FF MMO game and will continue to evolve FF XIV with new content.

EDIT: Maybe a mod can remove one "likely" from the thread title :P

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope it does come to Xbox soon. Would love to be able to play it on my X.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There was a ratings board leak for a Xbox version a while ago so it's only a matter of time. As for the subscription, the game hit their peak subscriber count recently around Shadowbringers so they have no reason to get rid of it for now.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
All great news, now i only need them to let me play with the other EU datacenter and i'm super happy.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought this damn game on PS4 because I was convinced it would never come to Xbox...

I'll absolutely buy it again if it actually does come out sometime soon.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Will be so great to get everyone to play. It deserves to be on Xbox. Hopefully we get a quick turn around with next gen consoles and backwards compat.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but can you play FFXIV without interacting with other people? I hear a lot about how it's like a great classic FF game, but don't have anyone to play with.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised about the sub.

Good to see Microsoft's mind change on this.

And as for no new MMO in the pipeline?

Good. FF14 doesn't need to be thrown to the side anytime soon.

OP
OP
crazillo

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Slightly off-topic, but can you play FFXIV without interacting with other people? I hear a lot about how it's like a great classic FF game, but don't have anyone to play with.

I just played it on PS4 and there is some content you need to play together, 4 player coop dungeons are part of the main quest in particular. But this is all really easy with matchmaking and I've found other players in FF XIV to be very friendly and helpful for newbies.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most story content can be done solo. Some dungeons and bosses needs more players, but since it's basically matchmaking, you don't have the need to have someone to play with.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

You are forced to group with people for all dungeons pre-Shadowbringers and all Trials (major boss fights).

But it's easy since it can auto group you with people.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

To an extent.

Dungeons (pre-Shadowbringers) still need other players. In Shadowbringers there is trusts which are NPCs that can go through dungeons with you though much slower than players can. And big 8-player bosses still need players. Non-Main Story dungeons in Shadowbringers still need players.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They've added AI party members but you can just queue up for dungeons and stuff and never have to deal with looking for people unless you start doing high level raids. Its more fun even with randoms but there is a wait time depending on your class.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All this news is positive even if it's really more of the same plus xbox being more possible. The more people playing the better

This is why I'll never get through it. It has nothing to do with ease of finding people for me, I don't want to group up at all.
That's fair, I wouldnt say the co op stuff makes it not feel like a solid single player thing but it is unavoidable if you just cant have that interaction in your game

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Finally, more new players means I become stronger!

Of course the sub model is staying. It works. Eventually they'll just make ARR free, but maybe not now because of the rework.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
They've added AI party members but you can just queue up for dungeons and stuff and never have to deal with looking for people unless you start doing high level raids. Its more fun even with randoms but there is a wait time depending on your class.
To just be clear to anyone that reads this, "Trust" are only available in Shadowbringer story related dungeons.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Cool, the more the merrier.

But how about the cross play? Will XBox players be able to play together with PC & PS players? That was one of the main reasons for the lack of XBox version, right?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who mostly plays the game solo, yeah. There are some dungeons and encounters where you'll need to group up with other people, but the game has matchmaking, and the communication required between players is very minimal (at least for main story-related stuff). Even then, the communication pretty much just boils down to someone letting the group know the best way to defeat a boss.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

There's so little interaction between players that other players might as well be bots. XIV is a pretty anti-social game. When you play with randoms in dungeons, the most you'll see is "Hello" at the start and a "gg" or "tyfp" at the end.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sub model has been successful for FFXIV. They won't ditch it, nor should they. I like Guild Wars 2's original B2P model best but ArenaNet has shit the bed with too much nickel-and-dime'ing. XIV should be cautious not to do too much cash shop stuff and keep adding in-game rewards at a good pace.

This is a good announcement for the health of the game, anyway. The community seems mostly content and secure in FFXIV's future. That's a blessing in today's MMO market.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
There's so little interaction between players that other players might as well be bots. XIV is a pretty anti-social game. When you play with randoms in dungeons, the most you'll see is "Hello" at the start and a "gg" or "tyfp" at the end.

Well only anti-social if you don't do any of the higher difficulty content.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I try to break up the monotony by cracking stupid jokes about boss fights or boss mechanics and I get a response maybe 30% of the time. It's so weird playing with randoms.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, the more the merrier.

But how about the cross play? Will XBox players be able to play together with PC & PS players? That was one of the main reasons for the lack of XBox version, right?

I think the reason was Microsoft was trying to say SE had to allow Xbox players to disable crossplay, which SE rightfully wasn't going to allow.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
All this news is positive even if it's really more of the same plus xbox being more possible. The more people playing the better

That's fair, I wouldnt say the co op stuff makes it not feel like a solid single player thing but it is unavoidable if you just cant have that interaction in your game
I always wished MMO's would do solo options to dungeons and raids. They could completely remove the high end gear drops and rewards. I'd be fine if I got a Blue drop from a boss as groups got Purple and Legendary drops. I would just like to see the content and experience the story. Without some dude losing his shit because someone didn't tank right or bitch about someone else's talent specs.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say its anti-social at all but then again I play on the biggest RP server lol. People are usually just in their FC chats or FC discords though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I always wished MMO's would do solo options to dungeons and raids. They could completely remove the high end gear drops and rewards. I'd be fine if I got a Blue drop from a boss as groups got Purple and Legendary drops. I would just like to see the content and experience the story. Without some dude losing his shit because someone didn't tank right or bitch about someone else's talent specs.

Problem is that they would then have to design that content to be able to done solo.

In FF14, only some raid content can be done solo but that's only if you're basically max level and brute force your way through it. Even then some still require multiple players due to mechanics.

This is why they will never do it.

Though at least for Shadowbringers you can do the main story dungeons with AI companions.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
It would be nearly impossible for the Switch to run XIV at its current spec, yeah. It would have to be a streaming version, and those things are so unstable it wouldn't be worth it.
If I'm being honest with myself, I'd pay an extra fee (on top of my sub) to be able to gather and craft only on Switch. No combat and no display of other characters but people would probably freak out at the idea.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington

I wouldn't call the game antisocial. I would say that it's as social as you want so if you want to play through it like a single player game then you can do that's but it also provides all the same systems that the most social mmos do.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
SE and MS have had a good relationship and have "always" been in talks about FFXIV since it launched. I wouldn't read into this until it actually manifests or has actual confirmation of it happening.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. Definitely hoping for crossplay so a few friends that have played FFXIV for quite some time can give me a hand when needed.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I can't type fast on PS4, any jokes or comments during actual gameplay are appreciated but I can't respond.
It's recommended to buy a wireless keyboard for chat.

SE and MS have had a good relationship and have "always" been in talks about FFXIV since it launched. I wouldn't read into this until it actually manifests or has actual confirmation of it happening.

Honestly, that's true.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't do high end raids but in the past 5 years I've played this game I've never seen someone fight about loot drops