• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear! Should have been on xbox ages ago. As much as I bitch about content, whats there is great. This can be the only ff mmo for a good while and I'm fine with it as long as we keep getting great Xpacs

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is what I thought they'd do...there are likely two more expansions for FFXIV, at least. And the gamble to make the graphics so impressive back in 2013 has made the game age well.

When you just released the Avengers Endgame of gaming, you don't rush the release of the next X-Men movie.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
The free trial has no time limit and you can now level to 35. So you can get your to your Class' Job and do some leveling with it. There are some limitations but there's enough there to know if you want to continue or not. You can create one character per server which means if you're not happy on your current server you can try another as they do have a different feel to them. Obviously that depends on what server restrictions are in place as sometimes they block new character creation on high-pop servers.

FFXIV - Free Trial FAQ

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
It is since the times of Xbox 360 that they are talking about bringing the game on Xbox consoles.

In the meanwhile plenty of MMOrpgs arrived and are still arriving.

Just sto this nonsense and focus on something else...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Subscription model is the best model. It's a small fee for a whole month and with these patches every few weeks, you literally feel where you money went into.
Hard to beat quality wise.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Not the point tho. You're learning the mechanics, menus, systems and dungeon teamwork step by step in ARR and it does a good job. There might some some annoying fetch quests but it wasn't that bad enough to skip. I only started playing from the beginning in mid-July and I made it to ShB over this past weekend.

Yeah, ARR does a really good job at introducing and rolling out the game mechanics throughout the quest. Still, having just played through ARR again there are a ton of places the thing could be cut down without losing any character moments, which is more an argument for them retooling ARR rather than skipping it since new players are stuck with what's there at the moment. Some of the fetch quests seem designed just to get you to go to zones that wouldn't otherwise be visited by the player, actually.

This is what I thought they'd do...there are likely two more expansions for FFXIV, at least. And the gamble to make the graphics so impressive back in 2013 has made the game age well.

FFXIV:ARR was actually a graphical downgrade from the original FFXIV in a few ways, so I'm not sure there was that much of a gamble since in their eyes they were making it easier not harder to finish.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really convinced ARR teaches you anything as my SCH and the Tank out-dps most DPS in dungeons who also still don't understand a stacking mechanic at level 70.

VatticWave

Mar 2, 2018
Not the point tho. You're learning the mechanics, menus, systems and dungeon teamwork step by step in ARR and it does a good job. There might some some annoying fetch quests but it wasn't that bad enough to skip. I only started playing from the beginning in mid-July and I made it to ShB over this past weekend.

A friend of mine skipped ARR story entirely (I mean, he played all of it but skipped all cutscenes), and he's pretty much lost at Heavensward and he asks me all the time about the plot. "So who is this guy? What is he doing here? Oh, was she lost?" etc...

I mostly skipped quest text, but always paid attention to cutscenes, which were interesting. Now Heavensward is damn interesting.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine skipped ARR story entirely (I mean, he played all of it but skipped all cutscenes), and he's pretty much lost at Heavensward and he asks me all the time about the plot. "So who is this guy? What is he doing here? Oh, was she lost?" etc...

I mostly skipped quest text, but always paid attention to cutscenes, which were interesting. Now Heavensward is damn interesting.

Yes, ARR features a ton of foundation that shouldn't be skipped. Everything comes back around in the main story and carries over from expansion to expansion. I know someone who also skipped ARR and he was clueless to what was going on. The payoff to some threads in ARR are huge. It's very well planned out.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
ARR is still relevant as of the latest expansion.

If you are going to skip, please see if you can find a video on YouTube that takes the important bits (also fight Titan (Hard mode at least) and Shiva because they are great fights)

Nov 3, 2017

You probably told them this but your friend can go to the Inn and rewatch any cutscenes if they want to but you'll probably have to tell them what movies to watch, lol. Also, there's got to be a playlist of "All Thriller, No Filler" cutscenes somewhere or a youtube synopsis for a refresher on story and mechanics. I'm still going through the A.R.R. MSQ myself so i can't recommend anything as i haven't looked.

...or what snausages said.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you need Xbox live to play f2p games? Are they removing that restrictions?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It'll be interesting to see what kind of a boost this gives the game.

I also don't really believe they don't have another MMO in the making.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but can you play FFXIV without interacting with other people? I hear a lot about how it's like a great classic FF game, but don't have anyone to play with.
Yeah, outside of using the group finder to automatically put you into dungeons to complete the story quests in them. But folks are typically quiet and do their job in them with zero hassle.
If it did come to switch what are the chances of it holding the game back like with the ps3?
I imagine that's why it won't come to Switch, outside of a streaming solution that probably won't be viable outside of Japan.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Would be lame if it requires XBL gold (it likely will) when ps4 doesn't require ps plus.

Still, more people playing this amazing game is always a good thing.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
I always thought the reason it was not on Xbox was that Microsoft requires Xbox Live Gold to play MMOs, while Sony does not?
It was always different reasons, and SE were very vocal about the roadblocks that they were facing. The previous issues they faced were crossplay with PS4, Microsoft's policy to allow Xbox One players to at will opt in and out of crossplay, and I think the Xbox Live Gold requirement. This is the first time that they've stated something positive and that they're actively working and communicating with Microsoft .