• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Nobody wanted this.

As revealed during their Keynote, Viera are a female locked race, Hrothgar (read: Ronso) are male locked race.

Before anyone starts "well the lore says...", keep in mind that both Male Viera and Female Hrothgar exist according to lore and even if they didn't, they write the damned lore. Because god forbid they have lean, "sexy" high-heels wearing men and buff lion women.

Gender-lock me if old.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
No female hrothgar makes me sad.

Currently, the only game that allows you to play as a ferocious cat lady is Bless Online. A game, which nobody is playing, with an amazing feline race.

Really disappointing.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Square not having the balls to make sexy bunny boys is honestly a little pathetic.
tenor.gif

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even play the game but I wanted to see Male Viera. Though I do like the buff lion men, not gonna lie.

I should try to get into the game again.

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Seen a lot of people rioting over this but I can't really see what the big deal is.
I played FF11 from 2002 until 2009 so maybe my perspective is warped, but in FF11 we had gender locked races, too. A lot has changed in the climate since those days, but I'm okay with this. Again, who knows what will happen down the road.

Personally, I'd rather have two newly added races that have a drastically differing aesthetic than just a male Viera. And, touching again on the future aspect, having the framework in place for two separate races may actually make life easier if they decided to add in opposite sexes down the road.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
You would think they would have learned the first time with the Roegadyn and Miqo'te.
Inorite?

But no... gotta backtrack because someone in the leadership couldn't be arsed to devote the resources to doing it properly. Fuckin' disappointing.
Seen a lot of people rioting over this but I can't really see what the big deal is.
I played FF11 from 2002 until 2009 so maybe my perspective is warped, but in FF11 we had gender locked races, too. A lot has changed in the climate since those days, but I'm okay with this. Again, who knows what will happen down the road.

Personally, I'd rather have two newly added races that have a drastically differing aesthetic than just a male Viera. And, touching again on the future aspect, having the framework in place for two separate races may actually make life easier if they decided to add in opposite sexes down the road.
It's a big deal because it's outright fucking sexist.

I had the same problem with the Au'ra having that absurd to the point of being comical sexual dimorphism. This is just about as bad, with the added bonus of using the same shitty lore excuse as they used for the Miqo'te back when they were female-only.

It's a terrible practice and I won't stand for it.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb simply because they already had and moved away from gender locked races.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It really sounds to me like they're hiding the male Vieras behind lore reasons because of how they're more customizable than the other races, and they'll show up in a patch or in the next expansion.

I dunno about the lion ladies, though.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was say they'd add the other genders in time. It'd still suck, but it'd at least show the dev team isn't oblivious on top of blatantly pandering.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It's not? Clue me in.
They weren't going to add another race after 5.0, so instead of doing both male and female Viera they opted to make a bestial male race alongside the female Viera for more variety, because we aren't getting anything else after this.

It's very much sexism and very much an arse pull.
You can choose to see it that way but I don't see any reason to think there is some sexist motive given you can make any race in the game wear revealing clothing. They gave their reason, it was a reason of time, budget, and wanting more variety, and to me, thats not an ass pull at all. Hell we might get the counterparts later down the line. There is no ass pull here.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they fixed this issue before just to fuck it all up again.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
They said the reason for this was that they wanted to add two races, and they were complex additions, but it would be hard to do both genders for both races, so they split it up. Work done on female viera doesn't carry over to work on male viera, after all, so making female viera and male hrothgar is about as much work as adding both male and female viera and no hrothgar.

They'll almost certainly add male viera and female hrothgar sooner or later, so it doesn't bother me much.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said the reason for this was that they wanted to add two races, and they were complex additions, but it would be hard to do both genders for both races, so they split it up. Work done on female viera doesn't carry over to work on male viera, after all, so making female viera and male hrothgar is about as much work as adding both male and female viera and no hrothgar.

They'll almost certainly add male viera and female hrothgar sooner or later, so it doesn't bother me much.

Sounds reasonable?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really get mad about anything huh? They didn't take the eventual adding of them off the table completely. Yoshi acknowledged they exist. And how is everyone going to be screaming that square is sexist when they've literally been listening to the community and starting to undo gender locked outfits like the bunny outfit.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It's not? Clue me in.
They said before that they weren't planning on doing any new races after Au Ra cause it's very demanding on resources. Both Viera and Ronso have been the most requested races, so they probably compromised and split development between both races. I have a really hard time believing "for lore reasons" because they already disregarded lore with Male Miqo'te and Female Roegadyn, which were also gender-locked in 1.0 before Yoshida became the director and producer and made all races have options for both genders.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
they've literally been listening to the community and starting to undo gender locked outfits like the bunny outfit.

Except that's exactly why it's so gross. This team has gone through this a dozen times before. They know it's bullshit. But here they are again...

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really get mad about anything huh? They didn't take the eventual adding of them off the table completely. Yoshi acknowledged they exist. And how is everyone going to be screaming that square is sexist when they've literally been listening to the community and starting to undo gender locked outfits like the bunny outfit.
Did they undo the stupid Au'ra sexual dimorphism?

No?

Squeenix is fucking sexist.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

If that was the case, couldn't they have - just maybe - focused on one race at a time then? Get the bunnies out first, then the lions later?
it seems a bit counterproductive and generally kinda confusing to release different genders at different times

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
They weren't going to add another race after 5.0, so instead of doing both male and female Viera they opted to make a bestial male race alongside the female Viera for more variety, because we aren't getting anything else after this.

You can choose to see it that way but I don't see any reason to think there is some sexist motive given you can make any race in the game wear revealing clothing. They gave their reason, it was a reason of time, budget, and wanting more variety, and to me, thats not an ass pull at all. Hell we might get the counterparts later down the line. There is no ass pull here.
They said before that they weren't planning on doing any new races after Au Ra cause it's very demanding on resources. Both Viera and Ronso have been the most requested races, so they probably compromised and split development between both races. I have a really hard time believing "for lore reasons" because they already disregarded lore with Male Miqo'te and Female Roegadyn, which were also gender-locked in 1.0 before Yoshida became the director and producer and made all races have options for both genders.

How convenient is all I can say. The excuse wrote itself.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
The disappointment of not having male with bunny ears is understandable but my gay furry side needed a beast race for XIV so i'm personally very happy.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except that's exactly why it's so gross. This team has gone through this a dozen times before. They know it's bullshit. But here they are again...

Again... they never took adding them off the table. What do people not understand about that? They just said not now.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
If this was a resource limitation and they are likely making the opposites available down the line then i dont have much of an issue with this.

its disappointing but i cant find much reason to be mad at it.

that said i hope its sooner than later, bunny boy might be the first time i change off my cat boy iv been running from the start.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inorite?

But no... gotta backtrack because someone in the leadership couldn't be arsed to devote the resources to doing it properly. Fuckin' disappointing.

I can understand the practical reasons for doing this, but this is going to be the #1 thing everyone complains about the entire expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if they get added for 6.0.

Does male viera even exist?

One of the characters associated with the 24 man raid series where the Viera are revealed explicitly talks about them, so they totally exist in the lore. If you played FFXI, it's basically the Mithra all over again.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
How convenient is all I can say. The excuse wrote itself.
I'm not excusing them for it, I just seriously doubt it's out of intentional sexism given the reason of resource limitations that we've had since last expansion. I almost expect them to add the other gender options down the line.