• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I don't know if you've been paying attention to the thread or the interviews, but they're not even including proper helmet/visor options for the new races. This is very clearly a budget/manpower issue.
See, I might have believe that (with some obvious Gender norm bias running alongside it) if it weren't for that one piece of interview where Yoshi-P said that'd he'd find it weird if male bunnies were walking around and thinking about adding a male-only class waaaay before the budgetary/time issues would've presented themselves. Certainly his first instinct when making new races wasn't "let's make these two full races!" and then things popped up that caused them to limit their scope and gender-locked them. It seems these were planned as gender-locked from the get go.

I don't doubt that there are budget/manpower/manhour issues, and that making new races is time and resource consuming, but it is not solely an issue of resources. If it were, I would think that the Hrothgar would have probably been the one to received the cut completely, given there was no huge clamoring for the Ronso, unlike both male and female Viera.

And, of course it should go without saying but internet being internet, imbeciles sending death threats can go to heck.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if you've been paying attention to the thread or the interviews, but they're not even including proper helmet/visor options for the new races. This is very clearly a budget/manpower issue.

Why even bother doing two races at once then? Why not just push one out so you can properly set a new race, then do another race later on? The logistics issue they have is one their burdening themselves with for no reason. No one is demanding the immediately release of two new races.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
ay8biDj.png

Thanks for the laugh at lunch. Creating Fran and 2B that artist is master class at creating pandering designs.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
See, I might have believe that (with some obvious Gender norm bias running alongside it) if it weren't for that one piece of interview where Yoshi-P said that'd he'd find it weird if male bunnies were walking around and thinking about adding a male-only class waaaay before the budgetary/time issues would've presented themselves. Certainly his first instinct when making new races wasn't "let's make these two full races!" and then things popped up that caused them to limit their scope and gender-locked them. It seems these were planned as gender-locked from the get go.

I don't doubt that there are budget/manpower/manhour issues, and that making new races is time and resource consuming, but it is not solely an issue of resources. If it were, I would think that the Hrothgar would have probably been the one to received the cut completely, given there was no huge clamoring for the Ronso, unlike both male and female Viera.

And, of course it should go without saying but internet being internet, imbeciles sending death threats can go to heck.

I wouldn't say from the getgo considering they do have concepts of male Viera.

Viera1.jpg

Why even bother doing two races at once then? Why not just push one out so you can properly set a new race, then do another race later on? The logistics issue they have is one their burdening themselves with for no reason. No one is demanding the immediately release of two new races.

See my post where I said Yoship is an overly ambitous (and transparent) individual. The strain on the team started to show with single dungeons in Heavensward, then the constant missing of dates and delays on the roadmaps. And why not now? Because expansions are when they get the bigger boost in development power/scale. The normal team when it's not working on a major expansion is around 300-350 people. For the big expansion push, it jumps to 500.

Here are some fun numbers and statistics

Posted byReiss
u/tormenteddragon

1 year ago

The FFXIV Dev Team - Changes over time

[Discussion]
Over the years I've often seen a lot of speculation online as to the size of the FFXIV development team, especially in comparison to those of other MMOs. So I've put together a video and some data to hopefully provide a more accurate picture of what the main dev team looks like.
Here's the VIDEO.
Here's the GOOGLE DOC with the full credits lists for 1.0, 1.23, 2.0, 2.55, 3.0, and 3.56.
TL;DR: The FFXIV development team is at about 264 in-house members as of patch 3.56. This is very close to (in fact, in some cases slightly larger than) the typical size of development teams for major MMOs on the market, including WoW. The team is and has been continuously hiring. It seems that the boss design team has grown from 5 to 8 members as of patch 3.56.
Main Development Staff
xivstaffing.PNG

Update: 5 September 2018
Yoshida: At any given time there are about 350 people involved in the development of FFXIV. During busy periods that goes up to about 500 or so. If you include the management team it's probably around 650 people. GameWatch - 24 Aug 2018

(Note: I would venture to guess the above numbers include the localization and sound teams as well as a number of other teams associated with the project.)​
Yoshida: ...over 200 team members... JeuxOnline - 5 Sep 2018
Yoshida: Our team is still on the same scale, but we are now much more secure in what we're able to do. Although we have reduced the number of dungeons from 2 to 1 in odd patches... content such as Heaven-on-High not only requires the resources of a normal dungeon but as much as three times the amount. This shows how much the abilities of our staff have improved over time. Final Fantasy Dojo - 31 Aug 2018

The team was at its largest leading up to the launch of 2.0:
Yoshida: ...we've continued development with a very large team -- 250 people... Engadget - 21 Oct 2011
Yoshida: Currently, the in-house team consists of almost 300 members. We also have outsourced a fair amount of work to third-party companies, so all-in-all, the team is fairly large. July 2012 - Source
Several key people were borrowed from other projects around Square Enix in order to completely relaunch the game in about 2 years and 8 months. These included Yosihisha Hashimoto from the Luminous team (the engine that FFXV uses), and Akihiko Matsui from the FFXI team, among others Source.
Yoshida: Coming onto a project with hundreds of people seemingly out of nowhere as the new boss, I was expecting there to be resistance, and I had to be ready should that have indeed been the case. There was a lot of tension on the team, but we were motivated, and I think things turned out very well. Source
Gondai: In order to get ARR made we had to borrow people from other battle teams from other games within Square Enix.​
Yoshida: A lot of the people we borrowed are hardcore MMO players. We used their feedback and advice to make revisions. Source
Yoichi Wada: We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV. Source
This borrowing of staff led to delays for many titles on the Japanese side of the company:
The unsuccessful launch of FFXIV caused a negative chain of events in other areas across the businesses. One notable example is the significant delay in development of new HD Games titles in Japan. Source
Once A Realm Reborn had officially launched, these borrowed developers returned to their original projects, bringing the FFXIV team back down to the 260-270 level it's been at since.
Yoshida: Currently for FFXIV: ARR, including myself and Komoto here, there are over 50 people who are in charge of planning the game out. Source
Yoshida: We have this giant task board with all of the tasks and timelines and what people are supposed to do — it's such a large project that we have more than 10 project managers making sure that everything is getting done on time and that everyone knows what to do. If anyone's going to be confused, it's going to be myself. [laughs] Source
Sound and Localization Divisions
The Sound and Localization divisions are not included as part of the Main Development Staff in the credits (meaning people like Soken and Koji Fox aren't part of the numbers above). Here's how they've changed over time:
Note: Sound Division does not include orchestra or Uematsu collaborators such as Susan Calloway and Arnie Roth.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Viera1.jpg

See my post where I said Yoship is an overly ambitous (and transparent) individual. The strain on the team started to show with single dungeons in Heavensward, then the constant missing of dates and delays on the roadmaps. And why not now? Because expansions are when they get the bigger boost in development power/scale. The normal team when it's not working on a major expansion is around 300-350 people. For the big expansion push, it jumps to 500.

The answer to "why now" Is because they have increased resources and staff due to the recent expansion...but it's still not enough to do these new races properly...why again, why not just wait?

I mean, we're both saying the same thing, putting out two races right now that are genderlocked is pissing off the community and they don't have the time/resources to make them multigendered, but the only reason they're doing it now is because they want to...

None of that is a satisfactory answer.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

Viera1.jpg
But again, what ended up happening was exactly what he described in 2013. They may have drawn up some concept art of Male Viera but there's no indication they were ever in active development or seriously considered. They concepted the Lupin as a playable race well and that went nowhere.

The gender-lock was almost certainly by design, from conception.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
The answer to "why now" Is because they have increased resources and staff due to the recent expansion...but it's still not enough to do these new races properly...why again, why not just wait?

I mean, we're both saying the same thing, putting out two races right now that are genderlocked is pissing off the community and they don't have the time/resources to make them multigendered, but the only reason they're doing it now is because they want to...

None of that is a satisfactory answer.

See my staff stats posting. His ambition is very much the answer. He chose to expand options with the Deep dungeon at the sacrifice of a new 4man dungeon. This man just simply dreams big, which again had led to the success and revival of XIV.

(Note: I would venture to guess the above numbers include the localization and sound teams as well as a number of other teams associated with the project.)
Yoshida: ...over 200 team members... JeuxOnline - 5 Sep 2018
Yoshida: Our team is still on the same scale, but we are now much more secure in what we're able to do. Although we have reduced the number of dungeons from 2 to 1 in odd patches... content such as Heaven-on-High not only requires the resources of a normal dungeon but as much as three times the amount. This shows how much the abilities of our staff have improved over time. Final Fantasy Dojo - 31 Aug 2018

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Late to the party but correct me if I'm wrong didn't the FF XIV community throw a fit over male characters not being able to wear bunny girl outfits. So logically they add a whole bunny race that male characters can not be lol?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
See my staff stats posting. His ambition is very much the answer. He chose to expand options with the Deep dungeon at the sacrifice of a new 4man dungeon. This man just simply dreams big, which again had led to the success and revival of XIV.

This is just my opinion, but that's a bad fucking answer.

Which, expounding on so it doesn't sound like I'm just trying to dunk on you, because I'm not.

If the reason why he's so eager to quickly put out two new races that don't have the minimum capabilities of the other races from even a gear stand point is because his ambition decrees that he do this quickly opposed to simply pushing a race down the timeline in order to do one of the two correctly by his own standards...

That's a bad fucking call.

That
Ain't
It
Chief

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Late to the party but correct me if I'm wrong didn't the FF XIV community throw a fit over male characters not being able to wear bunny girl outfits. So logically they add a whole bunny race that male characters can not be lol?

It's less that played threw a fit over the bunny gear, and more that people asked for it, Yoshi-P said it would happen, and then it took the team years to get around to doing it. So people would ask "hey, can we get an update on the bunny gear?"

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
This is just my opinion, but that's a bad fucking answer.
I'm having a discussion with a friend right now, but frankly the XIV team is still undertaffed for a MMO team. More or less, his team is overworking constantly (as noted earlier too). Conclusion was if they had Yoship head XVI, they would understaff him because he's able to get so much done with so little. It's a pretty sad situation.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017

Viera1.jpg

Man, I wish the female Viera even looked like that. Looks much more badass and regal.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
Make me wonder that adding gender is much easier than adding another race along the road. They want to get the wish of "more playable race" to be done first.

Wish they just announced another gender come later If they planning to have it

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's a lot of reaching going on in this thread from people who quite clearly have never worked in game development. Generally, when companies cite resources as an issue is because it's a genuine issue - and it's not just an issue in development pre-release, but it's also an issue of maintenance going forward.

The idea that Ronso wasn't also highly requested is just nonsense as well, Viera and Ronso were the two most requested races, again as stated by the dev team. When faced with the option of only adding one new race, which again is likely more because of the ongoing resource cost of developing gear for these new races as long as the game exists, the team chose to instead add gender locked versions of two races to get the most requested races in the game. It's an imperfect solution, just as it would have been to leave out the Hrothgar/Ronso and not server players who really want races that are more beast-like in nature or are fan of the Ronso.

It also potentially leaves them open to adding female Hrothgar in the future and male Viera, since I'm sure that's an easier case to make if you want a budget to support them long term.

Yoshida has given entirely reasonable answers that come from the reality of game development and supporting a live game, but people can't get over a quote years old and instead want to believe he and the dev team are sexist.

It's gross and the levels of entitlement are potentially even worse. There are plenty of folks out there that are excited for the Ronso to be added to the game, should they be told to fuck off because people are so put out by the lack of male Viera?

Make me wonder that adding gender is much easier than adding another race along the road. They want to get the wish of "more playable race" to be done first.

Wish they just announced another gender come later If they planning to have it

no MMO developer is going to promise features for 2 years down the road when they likely haven't even started on the next expansion yet. Why promise if you don't know you can deliver it? But I wouldn't at all be surprised if that's the intention, and would be a clever way of allocating available resources.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Whos to say they won't look that good? What we've seen so far is just the default adventurer gear/underclothes. With actual armor/gear they probably will look something along those lines based off of XIV's art direction.

You're right, I just get the feeling they won't. I'm still bummed that the default gear is just Fran, I guess.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
no MMO developer is going to promise features for 2 years down the road when they likely haven't even started on the next expansion yet. Why promise if you don't know you can deliver it? But I wouldn't at all be surprised if that's the intention, and would be a clever way of allocating available resources.

Well consider this is 3rd expansion. chance is FF14 already entering half way and Square want to move the resource to another thing. This expasion is pretty big thought kinda feel like "foundation" expansion. so they want to get heavy load first out before Square decide to cut the manpower

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
There's a lot of reaching going on in this thread from people who quite clearly have never worked in game development. Generally, when companies cite resources as an issue is because it's a genuine issue - and it's not just an issue in development pre-release, but it's also an issue of maintenance going forward.
I never said they didn't have those issues. In fact that you can see in that post I very much believe that they have issues with resources. It is a very well documented fact that their team is generally small.
The idea that Ronso wasn't also highly requested is just nonsense as well, Viera and Ronso were the two most requested races, again as stated by the dev team. When faced with the option of only adding one new race, which again is likely more because of the ongoing resource cost of developing gear for these new races as long as the game exists, the team chose to instead add gender locked versions of two races to get the most requested races in the game. It's an imperfect solution, just as it would have been to leave out the Hrothgar/Ronso and not server players who really want races that are more beast-like in nature or are fan of the Ronso.
I've not personally seen as much Ronso clamoring as I did for the Viera but, if there was, I'm sorry for implying that there wasn't. That was coloured by what I've seen and heard from online spaces.
It also potentially leaves them open to adding female Hrothgar in the future and male Viera, since I'm sure that's an easier case to make if you want a budget to support them long term.
See that's a huge if. Given that the their budget and manpower is going to be diminished going forward until the ramp-up to the next expansion, and they will be maintaining the game, adding new content as they go along, it seems to me unlikely that they'd add whole new races in a 5.X update. Especially when you consider ROG/NIN, which they added in a .x update and said never again because it was to intensive.
Yoshida has given entirely reasonable answers that come from the reality of game development and supporting a live game, but people can't get over a quote years old and instead want to believe he and the dev team are sexist.
Sexism isn't a zero sum game. Being sexist doesn't make you an inherently horrible person. Sexism is attitudes, biases and notions that affect your decision making, consciously or unconsciously. These are borne from the culture we live in. I have sexist attitudes and I'm sure you do as well. A sexist decision can be made without necessarily being on purpose or malicious.

And, dismissing a quote from half a decade ago where he describes the exact situation that happened today with the reasoning that boils down to "bunny men are kinda weird huh?" is absolutely doing disservice to Yoshi-P and his team and their capacity to do great things, which they have done and will still do.
It's gross and the levels of entitlement are potentially even worse. There are plenty of folks out there that are excited for the Ronso to be added to the game, should they be told to fuck off because people are so put out by the lack of male Viera?
Oh, come off it, when did I disparage anyone excited for the Hrothgar? I said that (from what I saw) there was not such a huge clamoring for them as compared to the Viera, so I suggested that if the issue was solely about manhours/resources the thing that would have been excised would have been that race. It was an observation, not a command, or a want.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Oh, come off it, when did I disparage anyone excited for the Hrothgar? I said that (from what I saw) there was not such a huge clamoring for them as compared to the Viera, so I suggested that if the issue was solely about manhours/resources the thing that would have been excised would have been that race. It was an observation, not a command, or a want.

Your OP line is literally "No one wanted this", how are folks supposed to interpret this?

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Your OP line is literally "No one wanted this", how are folks supposed to interpret this?
No one wanting races to be gender-locked. Which is the point of the thread, not what races were added. The initial title for the thread I was going to post didn't even have the names of the races, but I decided it could serve to be informative.

Y'all reaching really hard to try and make me look like I don't want the buff lion people.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
No female hrothgar makes me sad.

Currently, the only game that allows you to play as a ferocious cat lady is Bless Online. A game, which nobody is playing, with an amazing feline race.

Really disappointing.
What I've seen of Bless Online, they can't beat Guild Wars 2.
443px-Trapper_armor_charr_female_front.jpg
426px-Elonian_armor_%28medium%29_charr_female_front.jpg

The Charr race, and also the Asuras, are a text book example of doing it right.

If Square gives the Hrothgar a female gender, and I hope they do, this is what I want them to do.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
No one wanting races to be gender-locked. Which is the point of the thread, not what races were added. The initial title for the thread I was going to post didn't even have the names of the races, but I decided it could serve to be informative.

Y'all reaching really hard to try and make me look like I don't want the buff lion people.

Apologize about the missed optics, I think with recent replies from others it sounded like folks would rather not have the Hrothgar and just do male Viera instead.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Apologize about the missed optics, I think with recent replies from others it sounded like folks would rather not have the Hrothgar and just do male Viera instead.
I get it. I apologise if I ever came off that way myself. I can only speak for myself, but my issue will never be with the Hrothgar race at all, or the people that wanted Ronso and/or are happy with them, rather with the concept (and execution) of gender-locking races.

Mrhappy Interview w/ Yoshida From Tokyo Fan Festival

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if folks saw this but it looks like Mr Happy had an interview with Yoshida and got a very in depth answer about the big points of contention going on right now.

I'm hopeful people will look at this and have responses more tilted towards understanding instead of anger.

Last edited:
Yoshida interview: relevant transcript

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Text of the answer he gave in the video above:

1. Many western players were surprised when it was revealed that Hrothgar and Viera would not have both genders available, especially after the efforts the team went through to provide more options with Miqo'te and Roegadyn in 2.0. Why did the team decide to do two different races with one gender each instead of one race with both genders?
A.) The timing of the game launch, the races needed to have each gender counterpart for ARR. When I took over for ARR, I wanted to fill the missing gender to make those races seem complete. What is different now compared to then. After multiple expansions, the situation isn't the same as when we released the base game. My answer will be quite long…

This game has been launched for 6 years currently. It has tens of thousands of armors available. We have to make sure every race can use every outfit correctly. The more unique the appearance of the race, the more difficult these adjustments are to make.

When we create one gear, we have to make adjustments so it fits all these different races. So when we add new races, we have to adjust how to approach this process. The development cost for making a new race is very intense because of how much work we put into the graphics of the game. We also have to make sure these things all work properly. Thats why we are saying these may be the last races because of how taxing it is on the development team.

We wanted to give players options and freedom to choose more races. We envisioned adding a new race, but people really wanted the Viera to play in-game. So if we add another new race that isn't Viera, people might wonder why we didn't do Viera, so we had to add them for sure.

We had a big discussion back when we added Au ra in Heavensward about whether to add Au ra or Viera. We knew we only had Female Viera for reference, so we had no idea what to do for the Male variant. We would have to use our own imagination for that. There was fear about how we would approach that. Perhaps an elezen body with a miqo'te face and bunny ears. Would this be the right way to add this race to the game?

When we create a fantasy game, especially for FF14. We have a good variety of races. We don't really need any more cute or sweet looking characters because we have so many as it is.

Especially for FF14, we have many symbols of power or strength such as Highlander and Roegadyns. We wanted something more animal like. Its not that we wanted to create a wild west of characters, but we do need a good variety. So the simple answer is: Viera was sought after so we had to add those. To expand the game and its options, we also wanted to add Hrothgar.
  1. As a follow up, is the team considering adding the other gender for these two races in future expansions?

A.) Short answer is we haven't made a decision on that. The reason why we can't say for sure. We need to optimize our work flow with the existing races and the new ones. After that, perhaps we do the other gender. But we don't know right now.

We did consider Male Viera instead of adding an extra race, but we tried to take player feedback on adding a more beast like race as well as the strong desire to receive Viera. We did expect strong feedback on the gender lock. It was a tough decision, but we decided to do our best to meet both the player feedback and our development team's vision. It will be very costly to add a new race or genders. So I won't say no, but I would not like to set expectations high.

We haven't had time to look at all of the feedback since this is our first day back at the office after the Tokyo Fan Festival. What was the general feedback from NA based on your experience? Were they upset about no Male Viera, no Female Hrothgar or both?

Me.) It has been a heated topic. Some players are okay, while many players are upset about the gender locking. Many are disappointed about no Male Viera, but with the Female Hrothgar I've seen some people be even more upset. This is because in The First Shard they are called Ronso, and in FFX there are plenty of female Ronso.

A.) Thank you for the insight. Currently, we are putting together all the feedback. Depending on the feedback we are considering an official statement on the forums.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x30qZohmIc-18urZVcePILzOXdbUt_AnUd8GTvPw4uI/mobilebasic

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It will be very costly to add a new race or genders. So I won't say no, but I would not like to set expectations high.
And there it is. As expected, there's little chance they'll add the other genders, since that would be the equivalent to just making a new race.

And given Squeenix keeps diverting resources away from the game, I don't expect that to ever happen.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the next races of male biped dragons and sexy woman with elephant ears.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So as it's been said. Cost. Cost. Cost. Fan demand and not necessarily sexism.

I don't necessarily think it's sexism but if you have the cost to do only X or Y there can be reasons, like sexism, for choosing one over the other. "We can only afford to do X." is largely orthogonal to why you choose to do X.

Last edited:

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You can add beastly races. You can add pretty races. Genderlocking either just plain sucks.

Hopefully they'll add the other genders in the future. The whole way they went about this is honestly disappointing.

They should've just did both genders for viera or hrothgar and then release the other set in the next expansion.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When we create a fantasy game, especially for FF14. We have a good variety of races. We don't really need any more cute or sweet looking characters because we have so many as it is.

Especially for FF14, we have many symbols of power or strength such as Highlander and Roegadyns. We wanted something more animal like. Its not that we wanted to create a wild west of characters, but we do need a good variety. So the simple answer is: Viera was sought after so we had to add those. To expand the game and its options, we also wanted to add Hrothgar.

Amen to that. Guild Wars 2 nailed it with the Charr and XIV needs more of this- more bestial races, less cute/pretty ones. Hrothgar are a great start, I think I'm going to fantasia my warrior to one.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Good job on Mr. Happy for asking these questions and getting more thorough answers. Him and his team were in a really hard place. Viera have been top of the list for fan demand and a more bestial like race has always been a big ask from the community. Before Stormblood I really really wanted Bangaa as a new race alongside Viera! Every race is hot and/or cute up to this point. For varieties sake Hrothgar are a great change of pace and to me, it was a good choice seeing as this may be the final time they are adding new races. Im switching to Viera day 1, but I would be disappointed if we never got a beast race. None of it is ideal, but its a far better outcome than just Viera, even if it would have meant both genders.

The reasoning for dancer as ranged DPS and adding a Tank is also fair. His comments about needing to restructure how they do healers is interesting and I like it, the way healers are now isn't great for balancing them. Hopefully they figure out healers this expansion and come out rolling with a 4th in 6.0.

*prays for Geomancer

Last edited:

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can add beastly races. You can add pretty races. Genderlocking either just plain sucks.

Hopefully they'll add the other genders in the future. The whole way they went about this is honestly disappointing.

They should've just did both genders for viera or hrothgar and then release the other set in the next expansion.

It's like you're not actually reading what he said at all. They specifically cited that this might be the last race/set of races they add because of the development cost with updating all the gear in the past and going forward - and "cost" in this case isn't just money, it's human resources as well.

Because of that, they specifically tried to serve two player desires of adding Viera and adding a beast-like race like the Ronso at the same time, in case they can't support more. Saying "just do one and then the other later" tells me you didn't even bother to read the very in-depth answers he provided. There is a chance they simply wouldn't be able to.

Use your head.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has there been an official response to this yet? I've seen a lot of speculative posts on the reason that they did this, but I'm curious if there was an actual statement on why they chose to gender lock these races.

I highly doubt the reason was "for the lore" and more "for the budget". I can't imagine that this was Yoshi-P's decision, and I feel really bad that he's probably getting a ton of shit in addition to the work he and his team are going to have to go through.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Has there been an official response to this yet? I've seen a lot of speculative posts on the reason that they did this, but I'm curious if there was an actual statement on why they chose to gender lock these races.

I highly doubt the reason was "for the lore" and more "for the budget". I can't imagine that this was Yoshi-P's decision, and I feel really bad that he's probably getting a ton of shit in addition to the work he and his team are going to have to go through.
Check threadmarks.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's like you're not actually reading what he said at all. They specifically cited that this might be the last race/set of races they add because of the development cost with updating all the gear in the past and going forward - and "cost" in this case isn't just money, it's human resources as well.

Because of that, they specifically tried to serve two player desires of adding Viera and adding a beast-like race like the Ronso at the same time, in case they can't support more. Saying "just do one and then the other later" tells me you didn't even bother to read the very in-depth answers he provided. There is a chance they simply wouldn't be able to.

Use your head.
Yeah. Each role has hundreds of different armor sets that would need to be uniquely tailored to any new races, and with each expansion this number is just gonna get bigger and bigger. Adding more races just makes that exponentially more time consuming and extra genders take as much work as each gender is basically its own race as far as animations and proportions go.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Letter for the producer in which gender locked races are addressed
Regarding the Gender of Viera and Hrothgar
As you know, in Shadowbringers we will be introducing two new playable races: the Viera and the Hrothgar. Hrothgar will be male only, and Viera will be female only—a decision which has prompted a variety of feedback from each region. I'd like to elaborate on why we decided to proceed in this fashion.

1. The Cost of Developing a New Playable Race
In a Fan Festival keynote speech, I stated that this will likely be the last time we add new playable races to FFXIV. To put it simply, a tremendous amount of time and resources are required to develop one. I'm sure you all understand that a new race will require new faces, hairstyles, bodies, and other assets. In addition to this, they need to be capable of equipping all existing items—this alone requires a massive commitment of resources. Each race has a unique frame and body type, and so every piece of visible equipment needs to be carefully adjusted to display properly on Hrothgar and Viera models. A cursory search will show that FFXIV has around ten thousand equippable items already implemented, all of which must be manually modified by our designers. This is an immediate and unavoidable development cost incurred when adding a new race.

The addition of new playable races will impact more than the development cost of the items added in 5.1 and subsequent updates. Not only will we be transitioning from twelve variations (six races, two genders each) to fourteen, but we will also need to commit more resources to the development of new emotes. While FFXIV will continue to strive to maintain a regular 3.5 month major update cycle, we must also ensure that sufficient time is secured for the meticulous development of new content—or else the quality will invariably drop. This is a complex problem that can't be solved simply by throwing more money or people at it, as it impacts both debugging and QA.

In summary, these are the circumstances which informed my previous statement that this is likely to be the last time we add new playable races; as at this point in time, it is difficult to see us maintaining our patch update schedule if we have to account for more than seven races and two genders (technically six races with two genders and two races with a single gender, but this is the functional equivalent).​
2. A Significant Number of Players Have Been Requesting Playable Viera
Since this may be the last time we add new races, we spent a long time deliberating which race would be the best addition. Fans worldwide have shown an overwhelming desire for FFXII's Viera, and we have long been aware of this fact. In fact, we considered adding Viera back in Heavensward, but eventually decided that, since that was FFXIV's first expansion, we should instead add an all-new original race—the Au Ra. If we were to add yet another race rather than the Viera, we anticipated that many fans would be disappointed, and so we decided to try and satisfy their request in this expansion. The desire to please our fans is the primary reason behind this decision.​
3. Providing a More Beastly Variety for FFXIV Character Creation and World Building
After seeing the positive reception of the Lupin characters we introduced in Stormblood, we concluded that, for the long-term health of FFXIV, it was important to implement a greater variety of character types beyond the traditionally beautiful in a future expansion. In truth, we had considered adding more beastly characters long before, and since this was possibly our last chance to do so, we decided that we should—much like we did with the Viera—in the interests of expanding the lore and the choices available to players.

Character creation is about providing players with options, and while there's no telling how many people will utilize these options, we also believe that there is value simply in having them exist—in empowering people to fill the world with greater variety.​
Although these second and third points are in conflict, we nevertheless felt that it was in the best interests of our players to try and satisfy both demands. We understood that some players would be upset if they were unable to use their preferred gender, but even so, after much internal discussion, we decided this approach was the best way to improve the overall game experience.

We could have decided to implement only male and female Viera, or only male and female Hrothgar. However, we instead went with an approach intended to expand the possibilities in multiple ways.

As you play through Shadowbringers, you'll learn that both male Viera and female Hrothgar exist. While you won't meet any in person, if we developers can find a way to address the various problems which are preventing us from implementing them, then perhaps someday you'll be able to see them for yourself. I want to be clear that this does not mean it will eventually happen, and that I cannot make any promises at this time. I hope you will understand and bear with us.​

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
is this similar to the whole "why isn't there any female space marines in 40k"

the answer to that has always been well the astartes gene-seed is based on their primarchs who are all male, but that hasn't stopped the debate in 40k about if GW should introduce them, regardless of the lore reason

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well, point 1 is kinda hard to believe they have these much problems when it's one of the most pofitable MMOs right now, with both a montly fee and an additional DLC shop, and their models aren't that advanced, but whatever. Point 2 is irrelevant, and Point 3 is BS because they are basically saying that only male exclusive races can look beastly.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
is this similar to the whole "why isn't there any female space marines in 40k"

the answer to that has always been well the astartes gene-seed is based on their primarchs who are all male, but that hasn't stopped the debate in 40k about if GW should introduce them, regardless of the lore reason
But there are Viera male, and there are Hrothgar female. They're just not letting the players see them.