• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean its convenient to ignore all context if it fits your argument, sure.

But to ignore that they clearly designated a support role that is vital to any raid group is silly. How many of those 10 dps fill that role? 2 with 1 being literally a dead job for majority of the playerbase. Yeah the game has 10 dps jobs but tell any raid group that their only support job is going samurai/ninja/monk/dragoon/red mage/black mage/ summoner and see what kind of response you'll get. In the context of end game, there is a designated spot for support dps.

It even says clearly "Range support" in your pic.

What role restores a large amount of mp/tp to the party, and have support skills tied to their role skill action?

Ignoring that ppl been stuck on bard (and to a lesser ext) machinist for 4-5 years is just awfully nice because it fits your narrative.
What are you talking about? It says Ranged DPS in the picture and that is it. Nowhere does it say ranged support.

It isn't a matter of ignoring context. It's factually a DPS job and this is not debatable. It being an essential job does not negate the fact it is still DPS. If you think people are overblowing the 10 DPS options because this one at least has a more unique function then sure but you are completely wrong to say the job isn't DPS.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? It says Ranged DPS in the picture and that is it. Nowhere does it say ranged support.

It isn't a matter of ignoring context. It's factually a DPS job and this is not debatable. It being an essential job does not negate the fact it is still DPS. If you think people are overblowing the 10 DPS options because this one at least has a more unique function then sure but you are completely wrong to say the job isn't DPS.

Ah so the picture is what you go off of and not what it actually is or what was said on stream.

Yes its a dps job but to ignore that theirs actual sub roles in the dps function is silly. Yes they're adding another dps, but into a role that needs another job added to.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah so the picture is what you go off of and not what it actually is or what was said on stream.

Yes its a dps job but to ignore that theirs actual sub roles in the dps function is silly. Yes they're adding another dps, but into a role that needs another job added to.
Okay so we both agree the job is DPS. Why is this still being discussed? You are arguing that the function of dancer is needed and I'm not denying this. I specifically stated that XIV now has 10 DPS options meanwhile healers have been limited to three is a bad decision.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to Dancer being the third ranged physical option: I think back to Heavensward when they made Bard a caster and debuted MCH as casters. It pissed a lot of people off, because despite still being DPS, matters of range and mobility and support abilities do make a huge difference between the jobs. I main MCH, but the data definitely shows that a ton of people don't. And even amongst those of us who do main MCH, basically everybody agrees that the job has been historically borked beyond reason. It is so much jankier than every other job in the game, full stop. So unless you're a masochist, most people just play Bard. Adding in another option for this role is a real boon to these players who have been treated pretty poorly. It is very regrettable that people praying for DNC healer are being disappointed though. Doubly so if they were hoping to play as male Viera, which I imagine would make this expac a very gloomy prospect.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so we both agree the job is DPS. Why is this still being discussed? You are arguing that the function of dancer is needed and I'm not denying this. I specifically stated that XIV now has 10 DPS options meanwhile healers have been limited to three is a bad decision.

I just disagree that the whole "10 dps options" when in reality its not like that at all.
I guess yes, you do have 10 options when you do random roulettes, okay I concede that

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm bummed too but ranged physical only has 2 jobs. 4.0 gave melee 4 and casters 3. Tanks has 3 going 4. Healers has 3 with AST being able to function as either regen or shield. It sucks to have to wait for next expansion, but their decisions aren't unreasonable.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't really a matter of resources, it's completely intentional because for some reason male rabbits are weird to Naoki Yoshida aka half-naked bunny sexdolls are fine but god forbid having to make a male counterpart (from a 2013 interview):

ca1q5hg9ntn21.png

Male rabbits looking weird? Hmmm......let's see.

Yeah, that checks out.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Both new races are, imo, pretty bad. genderlocking is bad, no new healing class is bad. Significantly less hyped for this expansion since they seem to be making all the wrong decisions.

Laille

Oct 25, 2017
Shotout to my FC who said there were male Viera models already datamined, stay classy
I'd love to see a source on this besides randomly throwing it out there to further muddy things.

They absolutely have not been. There was a French-language client leak last patch where they had male/female pronouns for Viera and Hrothgar, and it was always speculated that this might be for uniformity's sake.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a source on this besides randomly throwing it out there to further muddy things.

They absolutely have not been. There was a French-language client leak last patch where they had male/female pronouns for Viera and Hrothgar, and it was always speculated that this might be for uniformity's sake.

I don't think that poster is claiming that they have been data mining. They're calling out their FC for claiming as such.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But there is zero reason why it's not now.

Its a lot more work? They have to adapt every single piece of clothing in the game to the new models. Adding both versions of both races could be the difference between launching in July and launching 4 months later. They plainly said that these two races have a lot more customization features on them.

Laille

Oct 25, 2017
Its a lot more work? They have to adapt every single piece of clothing in the game to the new models. Adding both versions of both races could be the difference between launching in July and launching 4 months later. They plainly said that these two races have a lot more customization features on them.

I think four months is vastly overstating it, but the overarching point is correct. Repeatedly since ARR launch, Yoshida has said they don't have resources for stuff. "This is the last race we're adding", "We don't have the resources to add three jobs in one expansion again", etc etc.

Anyone who's actually played the game and followed producer live letters and interviews has seen SE put the 14 development team in a chokehold since 2.x, and we're up to 5.0 with the same thing now. Naturally, those who don't actually play the game don't see this, and I suspect that's a lot of the issue here.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017

Why not add one race with male and female varients in this expansion and then do the next race with both sexes next expansion? There's no official mandate saying they can NEVER do new races after this expansion, they did that themselves but went through the effort of making two very different new sex-locked races.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea not having bunny boi twunks is a bit of a let down but I do understand how much work it is for them to do these races so the reality of it is tempering my disappointment quite a bit. I am ready to ascend to my next level of being bara furry trash if it means i can make a beefy Moomba looking boi with the Hrothgar though. Ill change from Roe if that's the case.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Why not add one race with male and female varients in this expansion and then do the next race with both sexes next expansion? There's no official mandate saying they can NEVER do new races after this expansion, they did that themselves but went through the effort of making two very different new sex-locked races.

Maybe not-Ronso was more requested than male Viera and this was the way to have both in the next expansion. They stated they do not want to add any more playable races going forward and want to focus on other stuff.

I can see people being disappointed and I see no reason not to vent that frustration so SE knows, but I also like having both races in the game as is since I might actually play the big kitties but find the Viera unappealing. Of course, I would much prefer both male and female versions of both so there's as many options as possible, and am hoping it will happen in time. They wouldn't be new races if they are already in the game, after all

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Lore justifications are just dumb because the entire reason Viera are even in the game is fan service. The lore was REMADE for FFXIV. People hated this in FFXI, they hated it in 1.0. People have been begging for male Viera for a long time, and the developers were dumb enough to have SHOWN CONCEPTS OF THEM many years ago.

I just don't get it at all. It's fine with Au Ra, who have two of the most shut off subfactions in the game, it's fine for male mi'qote, but it's not OK to have one canon male Viera, the player? For being the "fanservice MMO" (which annoys me, as much as I enjoy FF14), they sure love to drop the ball on fanservice.

Oh well, I'm kind of glad Dancer is Ranged DPS but I wish they would make a true fourth role, support.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm curious as to what qualifies being nasty behaviour? Labelling this decision as sexist which it 100% is?

Dancer being DPS is way bigger than that. Healers have been stuck with 3 jobs for 4 years meanwhile DPS is at 10 options now. XIV needs more players to try healers and tanks and yet they continue to add DPS. Tank received Gunbreaker as an incentive to try the role yet healers still have nothing and are plagued already with balance issues that they don't even address.
Pretty late to this, but you're willfully ignoring the point.

People are being mean and nasty. End sentence. Not on this forum, no, but in other places. The reddit mods have been deleting stuff all day because there are people advocating harassment towards the dev team. A discussion is great! It's sexist, absolutely. It's a lot of bad things, but the discussion stops the moment people start going after the developers. You can voice your criticism without pushing for harassment.

Anyway! If this is true, it just makes the Hrothgar thing even stupider:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4o4xr/according_to_interview_with_yoshida/

―― Although the new race is characterized by the head in both of the two races, what happens to the head equipment?

Mr. Yoshida: It does not appear. Instead, I was able to implement the part of the NG face with the rule of "FFXIV" so far. Since it makes no sense to create a new kind of looks, this time, it is decided that the helm does not have to be covered, and no matter which helmet is equipped it will not be reflected in the graphic. Only the cover type system is supported by reshuffling (laughs).

Jun 12, 2018
I see why people would be slightly disappointed. But I really cant bring myself to care about this, at all. All of the other races have multiple genders right? Who really cares if they decide to make two of their races unique and different from the others?

Much better things to make a gamer-riot about.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly seeing Viera as a race of lesbians has been pretty validating for me personally in a way that's sort of unintended from the creators perspective as the race was clearly designed for straight dudes to jerk it to (sadly), but my interpetation is mine and it shouldn't really come at the expense of others. I felt the same way about the Miqo'te and it didn't kill me when they changed it in 2.0. It hurt a little but I got over it.

Last edited:

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
Eh it's fine. I'm way more bummed out about the Dancer not being a healer thing.

Also, claims of YoshiP being sexist are just stupid. Just recently for the Valentines event the main couple were two women, for heaven's sake. XIV as a whole is very positive when it comes to gender/acceptance, so I have to assume people claiming sexism haven't played it or are just being purposefully ignorant.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not news worthy. FFXI had Galka and Mithra.

A game doing something badly doesnt mean every other game is free to do.

As a FFXI player,I do remember a lot of people asking for male mithras (they only introduced an npc).

Eh it's fine. I'm way more bummed out about the Dancer not being a healer thing.

Also, claims of YoshiP being sexist are just stupid. Just recently for the Valentines event the main couple were two women, for heaven's sake. XIV as a whole is very positive when it comes to gender/acceptance, so I have to assume people claiming sexism haven't played it or are just being purposefully ignorant.

Doing something good shouldnt be a shield against criticism when you shit the bed. If you fuck up, you fuck up, you can both appreciate the steps forward and criticize the step backwards.

Btw I dont think YoshiP is necessary sexist, I have no way to know that, but he or whoever decided this is in the wrong here.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

You say this but look at literally every outfit they have shown FFXIV Vieras in so far. A game can do some things good and some things bad.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that's because they're modelling them very closely off of Fran from XII? Like I get what you mean but Viera's in FF in general have always been very skimpy clothing-wise.

To get players fired up they can't show them in some tank armor or dragoon gear? Really? That Viera unveil video was pandering so hard and for this fanfest we only get them in dancer gear which is just as skimpy.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Not news worthy. FFXI had Galka and Mithra.

Yeah, which is exactly why it was newsworthy. Lehko was an enormous deal in FFXI when WOTG came out because people wanted male Mithra so much. People begged for male Mi'qote in 1.0.

You people really wanted to play as sexy Male bunnies?

Personally, I wouldn't have. I'd prefer a slimmer version of male Viera. I'd really like a male bodytype closer to Alphinaud, because the only smaller male choice is Lalafell. Male mi'qote are quite buff and too different from Lehko, who I really would have preferred mi'qote look like. Others would have, though, as male Viera are one of the most requested races.I would have liked to have played a female Hrothgar, depending on how they turned out, because even the buffest female is a worlds different than the male versions in FF14 so far.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Miqotes comes from XI's Mithras and their XIV RSE doesnt look like this

latest

although their XIV counterpart isnt that much better... but you know what I mean, this is not XII, its XIV.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad they're missing but I can't say I understand why it's sexist. Seems more just like people didn't get something they were hoping for.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Square has yet to incorporate a gender-neutral race. Maybe something plant-based (maybe inspired by the Lilty of Crystal Chronicles, but being Hume sized and proportioned). Visually, I'm thinking a race like Spar from Breath of FIre II.

latest

You, the player, could determine whether this race can look more masculine or feminine, or look something in between. I just can't believe Square Enix hasn't come up with this this. IMO, it would've been a better added race than two gender specific races.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't understand how Square has yet to incorporate a gender-neutral race. Maybe something plant-based (maybe inspired by the Lilty of Crystal Chronicles, but being Hume sized and proportioned). Visually, I'm thinking a race like Spar from Breath of FIre II.

latest

You, the player, could determine whether this race can look more masculine or feminine, or look something in between. I just can't believe Square Enix hasn't come up with this this. IMO, it would've been a better added race than two gender specific races.
That'd be fuckin' rad. Viera lore already states that they're gender-less (read: not sex-less) until they reach puberty so they're already setting some level of lore for races that just don't give a fuck or understand the concept or gender. Go all the way you cowards.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yall complainers just need to wait for ARRR

Real talk: I was never going to make a male bunny or even a female ronso, so that aspect doesn't bother me, but after following xiv for years, this is likely because of both their workload and their myriad of server issues. I cannot imagine working on four goddamn genders and rigging their animations for over 17 jobs while also working on current content would be easy or quick enough for their deadlines. Consider also that unlike WoW they don't use as many canned animations for attacks or abilities over their jobs.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yall complainers just need to wait for ARRR

Real talk: I was never going to make a male bunny or even a female ronso, so that aspect doesn't bother me, but after following xiv for years, this is likely because of both their workload and their myriad of server issues. I cannot imagine working on four goddamn genders and rigging their animations for over 17 jobs while also working on current content would be easy or quick enough for their deadlines. Consider also that unlike WoW they don't use as many canned animations for attacks or abilities over their jobs.
Considering Hrothgar won't wear headgear apparently, I don't know why they even bothered with them for now. People were asking for Viera, so I have a hard time figuring out why they thought people would want female-only Viera and male-only Hrothgar, a race we didn't even know existed, instead of just male and female Viera.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly seeing Viera as a race of lesbians has been pretty validating for me personally in a way that's sort of unintended from the creators perspective as the race was clearly designed for straight dudes to jerk it to (sadly), but my interpetation is mine and it shouldn't really come at the expense of others. I felt the same way about the Miqo'te and it didn't kill me when they changed it in 2.0. It hurt a little but I got over it.

That's the thing, males exist. They're talked about in FFXIV. We know through different versions of FF that they come together at times to breed but are separated otherwise. So genderlocking doesn't suddenly make them an all female race that breed together. You would be able to have your same interpretation of the Viera even if males were playable.