• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Considering Hrothgar won't wear headgear apparently, I don't know why they even bothered with them for now. People were asking for Viera, so I have a hard time figuring out why they thought people would want female-only Viera and male-only Hrothgar, a race we didn't even know existed.

People have been asking for a beast-like race for a while too. Also Hrothgar are Ronso from FFX.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
People have been asking for a beast-like race for a while too. Also Hrothgar are Ronso from FFX.
Right, but Hrothgar proper weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eye. They're only reminiscent of Ronso based off of what we've seen, too. Ronso stood straight and had fairly lithe frames considering how large they were. Granted the models they showered off were... Not very great so that may change. Ironically, another game did the leonine people better than Hrothgar already:

blessracepantera.jpg

Move the tusks on the cheeks into the mouth and tada. Squish the face a little bit (or play with the Bless Online CC since I believe it straight up has cat-face options) And they have a female equivalent! Viera just made more sense considering how long they've been teasing it. Ivalice has been a major portion of Stormblood and everyone was waiting for the Viera reveal; Especially since they talked about them at the Heavensward Fanfest announcement.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly seeing Viera as a race of lesbians has been pretty validating for me personally in a way that's sort of unintended from the creators perspective as the race was clearly designed for straight dudes to jerk it to (sadly), but my interpetation is mine and it shouldn't really come at the expense of others. I felt the same way about the Miqo'te and it didn't kill me when they changed it in 2.0. It hurt a little but I got over it.

Not to take away from this but Viera males still exist. It's how they mate. It's just in their society males rarely leave or interact with anyone but Viera.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Hrothgar won't wear headgear apparently, I don't know why they even bothered with them for now. People were asking for Viera, so I have a hard time figuring out why they thought people would want female-only Viera and male-only Hrothgar, a race we didn't even know existed, instead of just male and female Viera.
man no one knew Au Ra existed either. No one asked for them, but we got em anyway. Hrothgar may as well be new too, and who knows how long they've been planed.

Yeah it's not Bangaa like I was hoping but i'm absolutely not up in arms about this. Considering that Viera is the fanservice pick here, I'm more glad we got them at all

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
man no one knew Au Ra existed either. No one asked for them, but we got em anyway. Hrothgar may as well be new too, and who knows how long they've been planed.

Yeah it's not Bangaa like I was hoping but i'm absolutely not up in arms about this. Considering that Viera is the fanservice pick here, I'm more glad we got them at all
I guess my point here is that they let a lot of people down by only giving us half of the option that would make sense (the race that's been teased for 4 years now) and instead gave us an option that came out of left field, making a misstep that was completely avoidable. If they'd just given us Hrothgar with no Viera, but gave Hrothgar both male and female, this wouldn't even be a big deal.

No new playable race was even teased up until Au Ra were announced. People wanted certain things, sure, but the devs didn't nudge us with any possibilities.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually happy we got a mostly original race. I just would have liked to have been able to make a female version.

betelgeuzah

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is such a pointless complaint. It's not just in SE's but in the community's best interests that races are introduced that people will actually pick and choose. Male bunnies and female lions would make sense only to appease the politically correct crowd, in practice you'd just end up with wasted dev resources for half a race. Two people actually want to play them while everyone else cries over not having the option to not choose them when it's time to walk the walk. God forbid popularity plays a role in SE's decision making.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
A friend and I watching the event last night were actually really happy about the Hrothgar during the initial reveal BECAUSE they looked like Ronso, and we even joked that would be their name in the first, and then well right after that... yeah

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, males exist. They're talked about in FFXIV. We know through different versions of FF that they come together at times to breed but are separated otherwise. So genderlocking doesn't suddenly make them an all female race that breed together. You would be able to have your same interpretation of the Viera even if males were playable.

Not to take away from this but Viera males still exist. It's how they mate. It's just in their society males rarely leave or interact with anyone but Viera.

You guys do realize you just went out of your way to invalidate me while insisting that I'm valid, right? I explicitly went out of my way to avoid stepping on anyone's toes. Don't do this, guys.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a pointless complaint. It's not just in SE's but in the community's best interests that races are introduced that people will actually pick and choose. Male bunnies and female lions would make sense only to appease the politically correct crowd, in practice you'd just end up with wasted dev resources for half a race. Two people actually want to play them while everyone else cries over not having the option to not choose them when it's time to walk the walk. God forbid popularity plays a role in SE's decision making.

'I am a straight man and got what I want. Why are queer people complaining?'

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess my point here is that they let a lot of people down by only giving us half of the option that would make sense (the race that's been teased for 4 years now) and instead gave us an option that came out of left field, making a misstep that was completely avoidable. If they'd just given us Hrothgar with no Viera, but gave Hrothgar both male and female, this wouldn't even be a big deal.

No new playable race was even teased up until Au Ra were announced. People wanted certain things, sure, but the devs didn't nudge us with any possibilities.
i dunno, this looks like the best that they could please fans, keep dev resources reasonable, and still fit in their original race. And I'm fine with it. And, when it comes down to it, maybe later they'll find time to pop in the genders.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty late to this, but you're willfully ignoring the point.

People are being mean and nasty. End sentence. Not on this forum, no, but in other places. The reddit mods have been deleting stuff all day because there are people advocating harassment towards the dev team. A discussion is great! It's sexist, absolutely. It's a lot of bad things, but the discussion stops the moment people start going after the developers. You can voice your criticism without pushing for harassment.

Anyway! If this is true, it just makes the Hrothgar thing even stupider:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4o4xr/according_to_interview_with_yoshida/
"willfully ignorant"

Can you stop with this crap? I'm legitimately asking you what constitutes harassment because I have seen people label others who are JUST COMPLAINING as harassment. What I have seen on Reddit is people saying they will unsub or complain neither of which is harassment hence me asking because I'm not seeing any of it.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017

Male Roe, the race most similar to the Hrothgar, are already the least-played race in the game across all regions and servers. How does it make any sense to come up with a race almost identical in bodytype, but now with a more jarring, overall less-appealling face?

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
man no one knew Au Ra existed either. No one asked for them, but we got em anyway.
This is simply untrue. Au Ra were established well before their release starting back in 2.2 and players were working to help them before they even knew what they looked like. Then we saw them elaborated on in the next two expansions. Obviously there was a demand.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is simply untrue. Au Ra were established well before their release starting back in 2.2 and players were working to help them before they even knew what they looked like. Then we saw them elaborated on in the next two expansions. Obviously there was a demand.
I don't remember a mention of their race whatsoever, just Yugiri and her all concealing outfit. It literally didn't matter what the Au Ra looked like, or even their name. At most you were looking forward to a new race, but not something specific.

They were a surprise. Hrothgar were a surprise. Viera were not.

betelgeuzah

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
User banned (2 weeks) homophobic rhetoric
'I am a straight man and got what I want. Why are queer people complaining?'

It's a massive effort just to appease the queer people, while ignoring the other people preferring something more traditional like the lion race. They can't do everything. It's not like males can't equip bunny ears in this game. Let's not confuse optimal use of limited resources with whatever this is, please.

Male Roe, the race most similar to the Hrothgar, are already the least-played race in the game across all regions and servers. How does it make any sense to come up with a race almost identical in that bosytype, but now with a more jarring, overall less-appealling face?

I *think* that award goes to fem Roe, which kinda proves my point if so.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember a mention of their race whatsoever, just Yugiri and her all concealing outfit. It literally didn't matter what the Au Ra looked like, or even their name. At most you were looking forward to a new race, but not something specific.

They were a surprise. Hrothgar were a surprise. Viera were not.

I forgot but wasn't Yugiri's scaly tail sticking out from the start?

Oct 25, 2017
They weren't going to add another race after 5.0, so instead of doing both male and female Viera they opted to make a bestial male race alongside the female Viera for more variety, because we aren't getting anything else after this.

You can choose to see it that way but I don't see any reason to think there is some sexist motive given you can make any race in the game wear revealing clothing. They gave their reason, it was a reason of time, budget, and wanting more variety, and to me, thats not an ass pull at all. Hell we might get the counterparts later down the line. There is no ass pull here.
Riddle me this: why didn't they make brutal bestial female characters and sexy bunny boy male characters instead?

I feel like my ass might be getting pulled.

It's a massive effort just to appease the queer people, while ignoring the other people preferring something more traditional like the lion race. They can't do everything. It's not like males can't equip bunny ears in this game. Let's not confuse optimal use of limited resources with whatever this is, please.

"They can't do everything" sounds good but gee how come almost every single game does one thing but not the other? Weird!

Actually why am I even in this thread? Parts of this community are impossible to reason with when it comes to sexist bullshit in video games. Y'all enjoy defending the status quo I suppose.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I'm a straight dude that would've played a manbun. I don't think your point has any merit when you go on to say it's for PC people/queer people only. It's basically shitposting. There's a reason male miqo'te are the 2nd most played race and they are, by and large, pretty feminine.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Right, but Hrothgar proper weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eye. They're only reminiscent of Ronso based off of what we've seen, too. Ronso stood straight and had fairly lithe frames considering how large they were. Granted the models they showered off were... Not very great so that may change. Ironically, another game did the leonine people better than Hrothgar already:

blessracepantera.jpg

Move the tusks on the cheeks into the mouth and tada. Squish the face a little bit (or play with the Bless Online CC since I believe it straight up has cat-face options) And they have a female equivalent! Viera just made more sense considering how long they've been teasing it. Ivalice has been a major portion of Stormblood and everyone was waiting for the Viera reveal; Especially since they talked about them at the Heavensward Fanfest announcement.
This race was actually what had me interested in Bless, before I heard all the negative impressions and decided not to bother.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Makes sense, i wouldn't want to be the guys that have to go through hundreds of hats to stretch and make them look alright. For two races even. Must have been an awful ass pain for Au Ra and their horns as it was.
I am very much not a fan of them getting rid of an entire gear slot because it's difficult. Do it right or don't do it at all. I have entire glamour sets that are really pulled together by the helm/hat. See: Red mage hat!

This race was actually what interested me in Bless, before I heard all the negative impressions and decided not to bother. Was it actually bad?
It was bad, yeah. Very, very bad. A shame because Pantera/Lupus were really cool!

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017

Fem Roe is slightly below, but the entire race is the lowest. It doesn't prove your point at all, considering they're just...doing that race again, but with universally less-appealing features and exclusively masculine. In what world does it make more sense to forego conventionally attractive men in your race of conventionally attractive bunny people and instead create a race of beastial tiger men with extreme niche appeal?

Also, massive effort to appeal to queer people?! It's literally just tall dudes with bunny ears. They went OUT of their way to make unattractive, masculine-exclusive tiger dudes. There is no possible way that that is somehow less work than just adding male Viera.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Maybe SE has data that says male Ronso is more in demand then male Viera and priotized based on that. Resources are always limited.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Maybe SE has data that says male Ronso is more in demand then male Viera and priotized based on that. Resources are always limited.

They're gonna have to show that data because I don't believe that for even one second. Ronso appeared in exactly one FF title and their main representative (Kimahri) is universally considered to be useless and pointless by the fans of that game. Viera are so popular that they have an entire PS4 theme dedicated to them, have appeared in multiple titles and their main representative (Fran) is so popular that they based this iteration of Viera solely off her while teasing the actual character's appearance in the last raid. Male Viera would HAVE to be more popular purely from association.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They're gonna have to show that data because I don't believe that for even one second. Ronso appeared in exactly one FF title and their main representative (Kimahri) is universally considered to be useless and pointless by the fans of that game.

There have been many fans who have wanted a beast-like race for ages, not specifically Ronso however but at least a race without a human head.

Edit: Ronso were in X and X-2.

Viera are so popular that they have an entire PS4 theme dedicated to them, have appeared in multiple titles and their main representative (Fran) is so popular that they based this iteration of Viera solely off her while teasing the actual character's appearance in the last raid.

That is because of Zodiac Age releasing/24-man raid based on Ivalice and also the theme is popular because there's bunny butts all over the screen.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am very much not a fan of them getting rid of an entire gear slot because it's difficult. Do it right or don't do it at all. I have entire glamour sets that are really pulled together by the helm/hat. See: Red mage hat!
I kinda agree, but I also understand where they're coming from. I honestly wish about 90$ of the 1-49 gear was kill because it's all utterly worthless. In the end im just glad that there's FINALLY a race that isn't 'humans with ear attachments or bara'. I'll likely stick with my Lalafell for a month before switching to Viera, if I ever do.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

If we are going by absolute numbers, then a straight male power fantasy always will be in more demand than queer fanservice. They're a minority for a reason. Demand cannot always be quantified and shouldn't be.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
They're gonna have to show that data because I don't believe that for even one second. Ronso appeared in exactly one FF title and their main representative (Kimahri) is universally considered to be useless and pointless by the fans of that game. Viera are so popular that they have an entire PS4 theme dedicated to them, have appeared in multiple titles and their main representative (Fran) is so popular that they based this iteration of Viera solely off her while teasing the actual character's appearance in the last raid. Male Viera would HAVE to be more popular purely from association.

One of the biggest complaints about the current line up is that they are all mostly the same thing, but some have animal parts pasted on. I have seen a lot of people request something different like a beast race over the years.

You could be right though. It would be interesting to hear how they decided on Ronso!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think the truth is Square-Enix doesn't want FF14, which is not a primary Ivalice entry, to be defining anything from Ivalice.
It can use anything from Ivalice as long as it's non-canon, but it can't contribute.

The entire reason male Viera was so exciting was because it was expanding on that universe in a way that would basically be sanctioned.

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe it's ignorance but someone fill me in, but how is building sex and race specific characters sexist or racist? I could understand if the game consisted entirely of one gender/race

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If we are going by absolute numbers, then a straight male power fantasy always will be in more demand than queer fanservice. They're a minority for a reason. Demand cannot always be quantified and shouldn't be.

https://ffxivcensus.com

In terms of active (total characters counts RMT and bots), the buffest most masculine race is the least played. Highlander, the other buff male race, is also much rarer. Mi'qote is one of the two most popular male races. Lalafell is the other. Au Ra and Midlander are right there with them.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Maybe it's ignorance but someone fill me in, but how is building sex and race specific characters sexist or racist? I could understand if the game consisted entirely of one gender/race

Gender specific races are not automatically sexist. Gender specific races that play to gender stereotypes are (slim sexy female/big muscular male).

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Honestly seeing Viera as a race of lesbians has been pretty validating for me personally in a way that's sort of unintended from the creators perspective as the race was clearly designed for straight dudes to jerk it to (sadly), but my interpetation is mine and it shouldn't really come at the expense of others. I felt the same way about the Miqo'te and it didn't kill me when they changed it in 2.0. It hurt a little but I got over it.
If it helps, there are apparently quite a few queer Miqo'te of both sexes, going by various NPCs since 1.0 and 2.0.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If it helps, there are apparently quite a few queer Miqo'te of both sexes, going by various NPCs since 1.0 and 2.0.

Most of the FF14 races seem to be base bi and sexuality seems to be quite progressive. There are quite a few gay NPCs that I remember of most, if not all, races.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
they would have made the male Viera look dumb anyway

like just a human-sized actual rabbit or something

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
https://ffxivcensus.com

In terms of active (total characters counts RMT and bots), the buffest most masculine race is the least played. Highlander, the other buff male race, is also much rarer. Mi'qote is one of the two most popular male races. Lalafell is the other. Au Ra and Midlander are right there with them.
The majority of people LOVE to play as the "cute" races in MMO's. To this day WoW's most popular race is still the Blood Elves.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how Square has yet to incorporate a gender-neutral race. Maybe something plant-based (maybe inspired by the Lilty of Crystal Chronicles, but being Hume sized and proportioned). Visually, I'm thinking a race like Spar from Breath of FIre II.

You, the player, could determine whether this race can look more masculine or feminine, or look something in between. I just can't believe Square Enix hasn't come up with this this. IMO, it would've been a better added race than two gender specific races.

Eh, a bit off topic but they kinda already did that with Galkas from FFXI. They are considered male due to their appearance (were the inspiration for today's male Roegadyn), but were asexual and their only official way to continue on is to be reborn via reincarnation. I and many others assume they never wanted to go into too much detail about what had to have been their other method(s) to procreate since you need to be born in the first place to reincarnate, but I have been a staunch believer in them being a male humanoid version of whiptail lizards considering all of their lizard-like features described through the flavour text of various in game items (their tails regrow if cut off, as one example).

I am hoping someday they will be able to be more open about things like that in their games without feeling pressured to (and that we have sliders so we can make said race more masculine/feminine looking, as you said).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4o4xr/according_to_interview_with_yoshida/

Has anyone linked this yet?

Rough Translation, here's what it means:
Q: The head parts of the two new races being so characteristic and special, how will head gear look on them?

Yoshida: It will not be displayed at all. In exchange, we've implemented face features we weren't able to implement thus far. We decided that since we thoroughly designed these new races's looks, it should be fine if they did not equip helms, because then our work would have be meaningless if they could equip them. This means that no helmet will be displayed even if you equip it. That said, for caps and hats that you put on the head, we did basic support and just made them clip (laughs).

Honestly this whole expac seems like they bit off more than they could chew.