• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
Should've been at least nominated for best score and narrative, one of the best stories in a FF game in recent years, maybe one of the best of all FF games

Should've taken some of the awards it was nominated for too....

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fortnite getting best ongoing game over ffxiv was a fucking joke, but in fairness, so was the entire rest of the show this year. worst tgas in recent memory.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is that a lot of reviewers simply don't play MMOs (which makes sense since they most likely don't want to put in the time to keep up with them), so Shadowbringers flew under the radar for most sites.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Award shows are just popularity contests. Shadowbringers is probably better than what was nominated in those categories, but a lot more people played those games. XIV has the most players it's ever had, but that's still a small amount compared to the average mainstream game.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
From a purely business perspective, I totally get it.

That doesn't make it hurt any less.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic but if I stopped playing FFXIV halfway through Heavensward.

How solo-able is the Heavensward content now at the higher level caps? I just expect that it would take some time to re-learn/adapt to the game before getting back into multiplayer dungeons/primal fights/etc.

If I remember right I left as the 2nd set of Alexander raids had come out.

I really want to play the game super casually to enjoy story and then once I get to current endgame, just do story only going forward. But I hate having that feeling of holding people back in multiplayer games and I hated playing with the casual players in dungeons/primal fights who didn't have great equipment or dedicated to doing a good job. So it's a tough spot to be in.

I don't have time to be that kind of player again.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Barrier of entry for people to try it is really high which is why it's hard to recommend it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The story alone is good enough for it to be the best RPG of the year, yet Fortnite won.

Disco Elysium won best RPG of the year

Fortnite won best ongoing and to be honest........i could see why.

But Shadowbringers should have won best Community Support. Those devs and yoshi do so much for the community its absurd.

Until Trusts become universasl across the entire game.....most will never see shadowbringers. We need trusts ASAP for low level and new players to use

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, but then again this is more of a 3 hour commercial so meh

Edit: meaning it should have won best ongoing game. Haven't played Disco yet

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Should've been at least nominated for best score and narrative, one of the best stories in a FF game in recent years, maybe one of the best of all FF games

Should've taken some of the awards it was nominated for too....
Against Disco Elysium? I love Shadowbringers but there was simply no way it surpasses Disco in anything writing related. Sometimes you gotta accept that the competition is fierce, and even actually better.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic but if I stopped playing FFXIV halfway through Heavensward.

How solo-able is the Heavensward content now at the higher level caps? I just expect that it would take some time to re-learn/adapt to the game before getting back into multiplayer dungeons/primal fights/etc.

If I remember right I left as the 2nd set of Alexander raids had come out.

I really want to play the game super casually to enjoy story and then once I get to current endgame, just do story only going forward. But I hate having that feeling of holding people back in multiplayer games and I hated playing with the casual players in dungeons/primal fights who didn't have great equipment or dedicated to doing a good job. So it's a tough spot to be in.

I don't have time to be that kind of player again.

The main story is as soloable as usual with the odd dungeon or 8-man fight. Neither that you can solo unless you were significantly overleveled/geared (talking like Shadowbringers Endgame).

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
fortnite getting best ongoing game over ffxiv was a fucking joke, but in fairness, so was the entire rest of the show this year. worst tgas in recent memory.
The only two good things about this was Mads won for best performance he truly deserves it and the Bravely default 2 most of the announcements were meh or jokes

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The main story is as soloable as usual with the odd dungeon or 8-man fight. Neither that you can solo unless you were significantly overleveled/geared (talking like Shadowbringers Endgame).

Or at least a better question - due to people in Shadowbringers endgame being over leveled - does it level cap them when they do low level content for whatever the new currency roulette is, or does it allow them to power new players through it without them having to feel guilty about being undergeared / underskilled / out of practice?

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
Or at least a better question - due to people in Shadowbringers endgame being over leveled - does it level cap them when they do low level content for whatever the new currency is, or does it allow them to power new players through it without them having to feel guilty about being undergeared / underskilled / out of practice?

They're level capped, but you still keep the stats from your armor, so the more geared you are, the more you're able to blow through lower level dungeons/roulettes.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They're level capped, but you still keep the stats from your armor, so the more geared you are, the more you're able to blow through lower level dungeons/roulettes.

That and technically one could also have a friend unsync the dungeons for them. But that would be a lot of lost exp.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Or at least a better question - due to people in Shadowbringers endgame being over leveled - does it level cap them when they do low level content for whatever the new currency roulette is, or does it allow them to power new players through it without them having to feel guilty about being undergeared / underskilled / out of practice?

If nothing has changed roulettes level cap you.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
bloodborne was robbed, mhw was robbed, and now ffxiv
not even nominated for best score/music, fuck outta here

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
There communication on Evererse and the bright-dust economy is pretty bad.

lots of "we are listening" and nothing happens

I honestly can't believe Bungie won that either. I play a bunch of Destiny and do you know what the best way Bungie could support the community? Making a great game that doesn't have stuff that pisses people off. Had quite a few friends who dropped off this year cause they are annoyed at the stuff Bungie is doing and probably won't come back. I think everything they are doing with Eververse has been awful and their plan to phase out actual activities every season is awful. Their "renewed focus on PvP" feels like a joke and feels like the same support it has always gotten.

/rant

Anyways play FFXIV.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best FF game but I wasn't surprised or anything. Game Awards have always been pretty hilarious with the actual awards.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
That and technically one could also have a friend unsync the dungeons for them. But that would be a lot of lost exp.

True. I'm still plugging away at Heavensward endgame, and to be honest, most other players in the duty finder have been friendly and helpful. The worst I had was a guy saying "You're all new to the game? Great..." when I was running with my husband and a friend, but the dungeon went smoothly and nothing else came of it. Having come off of 15 year stint on WOW, I'm just not used to how friendly and understanding most people are. It's actually pretty nice.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
fortnite getting best ongoing game over ffxiv was a fucking joke
Was it really, considering the amount of new content they consistently gave the game from map changes across the multiple seasons, new items and weapons every month, the huge events which included the game being put on the news multiple times over for doing things like the devs taking the game down to give us a straight up pseudo-sequel with a completely new map and better graphics.....like, Fortnite is absolutely THE stellar example of an ongoing game. Like what other game can claim to have a straight up kaiju happen that changes the map mid match? Plus that end of chapter 1 event was crazy, especially since it had been built up and foreshadowed for ages. Even the server website was changed to reflect what was happening
EGzmUqMUwAA81hc.jpg

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I agree but I would imagine most of the people on that panel are playing fortnight. Instead of a subscription mmo that they might feel overwhelmed to play

Much like fighting games it tends to only be like A guy on staff who plays instead of fortnight to which everyone is vaguely aware

I guess you could call on people to broaden their horizons. But you can't control that