• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV-Tokyo-Shot-23.png

Rejoice, it's another DPS!

And here's the trailer:

Haven't seen a thread about it, make a party with no new healer and dps me into the ground if old.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Between the gender locked races and now Dancer being DPS my hype has deflated somewhat.

OP
OP
Seijuro

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was also looking forward to a new healing class. We already have so many ranged DPS, and I always imagined Dancer would mix the healing game up a bit with fancy looking moves. No such luck though.

eloxx

Oct 30, 2017
bern, switzerland
Hell yes, this is the job I want to play. Started leveling BRD but maybe this is even a better option. Better in terms of fun to play.

I am also looking forward to fast queues for my healer jobs.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe this expansion is what finally gets me hooked, I tried the game two times but I could not get passed the initial beginning fetch quest marathon.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this expansion is what finally gets me hooked, I tried the game two times but I could not get passed the initial beginning fetch quest marathon.

well that dancer class doesn't unlock till level 60......so you will have to go through the first expansion which is a slog, especially post game and all of heavensward.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest what's been announced so far for the expansion is weak. Only two new jobs, two unneeded races (imo) and little else. I guess the game is entering a final, slower phase in terms of content. Seams reasonable considering the MMO market has come to an almost complete halt and I guess fewer and fewer of us are returning.

For reference I quitted after beating the first Savage Raid of Stormblood, the one with Neo Exdeath.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even watch the video till now because I was so upset. It doesn't even look very interesting. Did we really need a NINTH DPS class?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
DPS? Aren't they supposed to be a support/healing class?
It is support, just not a healer.

To be honest what's been announced so far for the expansion is weak. Only two new jobs, two unneeded races (imo) and little else. I guess the game is entering a final, slower phase in terms of content. Seams reasonable considering the MMO market has come to an almost complete halt and I guess fewer and fewer of us are returning.

For reference I quitted after defeating the first Savage Raid of Stormblood, the one with Neo Exdeath.
The game isn't ending or slowing down. Stormblood for example only had two new jobs and no new races. The new jobs and races we got here were highly requested by the players like Samurai and Red Mage two most requested before.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even watch the video till now because I was so upset. It doesn't even look very interesting. Did we really need a NINTH DPS class?

Dancer is the 10th DPS job, 11th if you include Blue Mage.

There are now:
4 tanks
3 healers
10(11?) damage dealers

It's a disaster. If the job selection in XIV were a three-legged table, it'd be laying on its side with shattered glass all over the floor.

BK0X

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm.. I don't know how to feel about this. DPS classes are already over-saturated with players, and this class doesn't look that interesting to me.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are now:
4 tanks
3 healers
10(11?) damage dealers

It's a disaster. If the job selection in XIV were a three-legged table, it'd be laying on its side with shattered glass all over the floor.

Oh wow I was even missing one lol. Goddammit.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
FUCKING RANGED DPS?

ANOTHER FUCKING DPS?

Fuck.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of disappointed it's another DPS. Any chance they'll announce a third class for Shadowbringers? I know Heavensward had three, but Stormblood only had two (both DPS, lol).

OP
OP
Seijuro

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of disappointed it's another DPS. Any chance they'll announce a third class for Shadowbringers? I know Heavensward had three, but Stormblood only had two (both DPS, lol).
I think Yoshi-P back then said something like they are never gonna do three different classes at once again because it was hell to balance them.

william_bell

Oct 31, 2017
As a healer main, I wanted something new to try. Maybe they're planning for some big changes in the 3 existing classes. I dunno.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I actually like it, ranged support are the least represented class of the game , especially with how underwhelming and clunky mch is (although i suppose you could say the same about whm, but still it's in a better place). Having a third is a good addition, the only downside is that healers need to pray they actually tried to fix things for shadowbringer and make the class more distinct, any combination viable instead of the clearly superior sch/ast.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
Here's to hoping they really throw a bone to healer mains via massive re-works of the existing healers, because not adding another one after six years is a really poor decision.

Other than that it looks fine I guess? Job reveals are rarely exciting anymore because for some reason they always hold off telling how they work to maintain hype and the trailers never tell us much.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

There are now:
4 tanks
3 healers
10(11?) damage dealers

They know who's playing what. Even me I played Monk for the most amount of time and only recently branched off to have a healer and a tank class

Zeeds

Mar 21, 2019
The hype is gone, the gender locked and another DPS, its like Square dont listen the fans.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I literally couldn't care less about Dancer (and DPS classes in general), but that Ronso though. I'm going to run around with an axe wielding cat.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
They know who's playing what. Even me I played Monk for the most amount of time and only recently branched off to have a healer and a tank class

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, though. When new jobs are DPS, naturally there are going to be ever-more DPS. When no new jobs are healers, naturally that pool is going to stagnate or even shrink.

FFXIV could really learn from its predecessor in job design.

Oct 27, 2017
I was definitely surprised when it was announced as a DPS class, I expected a new healing class. But I'm not really disappointed and I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

There are now:
4 tanks
3 healers
10(11?) damage dealers

That's a little unfair:

There are now:
4 tanks (inc Gunbreaker)
3 healers
3 buffers (inc Dancer)
3 casters
4 melees

There is a lot of variety there. Plus we dont even know what big battle system changes are coming yet...

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For what it's worth, Dancer has always been a support DPS, same as BRD.

Just because it could be used as a healer in XI, the assumption that it'll be a healer in XIV is silly. Neither SAM nor NIN are tanks in XIV, but were pretty much able to tank in XI.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Well there goes any interest in me playing this job.

Dancer needed to be a healer.
Just because it could be used as a healer in XI, the assumption that it'll be a healer in XIV is silly. Neither SAM nor NIN are tanks in XIV, but were pretty much able to tank in XI.

There are already too many DPS jobs as is.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
That's a little unfair:

There are now:
4 tanks (inc Gunbreaker)
3 healers
3 buffers (inc Dancer)
3 casters
4 melees

There is a lot of variety there. Plus we dont even know what big battle system changes are coming yet...

It's not unfair, it's how the game's own systems treat each of the jobs. There's three roles. You can't queue as a buffer or a caster specifically in duty finder and there's very little content that requires parties to discriminate between DPS in that way. Damage is damage.

Deleted member 2550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a little unfair:

There are now:
4 tanks (inc Gunbreaker)
3 healers
3 buffers (inc Dancer)
3 casters
4 melees

It's not unfair and your post is misleading.

The game has no straight "buffer" jobs. Bard and Machinist are DPS jobs. Nobody is inviting them to groups and saying "Okay, you stand in the back and keep those buffs up. We'll handle the rest!" They're DPS with support cooldown that you mash here and there.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been looking for excuses to resub, but longer dungeon wait due to an Increase in dps players yet again is not enticing.

Under other circumstances, the class looks neat, but it's amazing that tank or healer weren't prioritized.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
This does nothing for me to be honest and I think my character would look pretty goofy doing those moves. I think there was no way they would launch an expansion without one new DPS job but they should have just stopped cheaping out and made three new ones.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a little unfair:

There are now:
4 tanks (inc Gunbreaker)
3 healers
3 buffers (inc Dancer)
3 casters
4 melees

Buffers in XIV are basically DPS jobs with certain support skills. Not sure why add more ranged DPS jobs when they sucked balancing ranged DPS since 2.0.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I love AST to much to play another healing class so that's not bad for me but out of all the classes they could have use it does seem like a waste for Dancer to be a dps, who knows maybe it was the class to have DPS players finally try something different.

And more reasons to completely drop MNK, I have no hope for the job that they would make it fun again but time will tell.

ThirtyFive

Oct 28, 2017
XIV is okay on its own, but it never could hold a candle to XI's job design...

Locking everything down with the trifecta guaranteed that stuff like dancer being rDPS was inevitable.

It's hard to swallow when XI was such a big deal to me, but XIV is its own thing... Can't expect the classes to fill the same roles or perform the way they did in a different game I guess.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoped Dancer would be added for the last two years (when I started playing) as a Healer. Feared it would be DPS.
Last night finally revealed, and dang was I disappointed... Still am. I'm sure the Job will be cool, but I really wanted it to be a healer, as Dancer is my second favourite FF Job (Dragoon being first), but I don't play DPS.

At least it means comes ShB I won't need to power level myself to 70 with DNC to start the story, since now I'll just stick to one of the three existing Healer jobs.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In isolation, Dancer being a ranged DPS is fine and it looks like an amazing job that most likely will be very popular.

Obviously the backlash is more because healer mains will not have got a new job for 2 expansions now and it could be a full 6 years between the last healer and a new one (if we even get one in 6.0). If a third job got announced that was a healer then I don't think there would be much hate on Dancer at all so I don't think the job design is the issue.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dancer being DPS was the best news for me. I disliked healing previously in XIV, and almost none of the DPS classes truly clicked for me, but this has potential. With this news I preordered shadowbringers and i'm gonna resub a few months in advance to prepare.