• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm thinking of picking up a magic DPS but can't decide on which.

What's a brief summary of the gameplay style between the three jobs?

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm thinking of picking up a magic DPS but can't decide on which.

What's a brief summary of the gameplay style between the three jobs?
BLM: You're a turret that spits out damage. Fight knowledge and positioning to avoid cast interruptions are key.
RDM: Probably the most stylish of the 3. Half your casts are instant due to Dualcast. You occasionally jump in and out of melee to do a combo that uses your black/white mana.
SMN: The most complicated rotation of the 3. Uses summons (pets) such as Ifrit, Garauda, Bahamut, and now Phoneix. Level a SCH and get this for free.

Jan 4, 2018
So I accidentally added game time to a new service account instead of the one I was using before that has my character on it, is there any way to transfer or merge them?

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
Current SMN is a bit of a mess, I would definitely recommend BLM right now in terms of fun, it's excellent.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
BLM: You're a turret that spits out damage. Fight knowledge and positioning to avoid cast interruptions are key.
RDM: Probably the most stylish of the 3. Half your casts are instant due to Dualcast. You occasionally jump in and out of melee to do a combo that uses your black/white mana.
SMN: The most complicated rotation of the 3. Level a SCH and get this for free.

I would add that Red mage probably has the most straightforward rotations of any dps, it's extremely easy to learn

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
there's a checkpoint at innocence too and it's been a thing since Neo ex death savage I'm pretty sure

Or did you mean cause it's a long fight?

It's very long, and the one person in my party who had finished the fight actively refused to tell anyone about the mechanics ("I'm not telling any of you guys shit") so there were several wipes.

Very glad a wipe didn't mean starting from 0 like it used to back in the old ARR/HW days.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
SMN: The most complicated rotation of the 3. Uses summons (pets) such as Ifrit, Garauda, Bahamut, and now Phoneix. Level a SCH and get this for free.

What makes SMN the most complicated?

My level for complicated right now is something like Ninja with all the Mudras.

Current SMN is a bit of a mess, I would definitely recommend BLM right now in terms of fun, it's excellent.

Basically it's a straight forward spellcaster right?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the innocence trial was a lot of fun. half the raid died but we were still able to slowly pull it off and rerezz everyone because on normal he is just gonna repeat the same tactics and aoe styles, so its a super easy to quickly pick up fight. Much smoother experience than with the titania trial

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a 2 seater mount, and your in a flying zone and your friend doesn't have flying... Can you still fly with the mount if they're also on it?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you have a 2 seater mount, and your in a flying zone and your friend doesn't have flying... Can you still fly with the mount if they're also on it?
Yes. my friend who already had flying in Stormblood used to ferry me and my other two friends around in the Regalia and let us pick up the Aether currents quickly. Took less than 5min per zone.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I helped my friend get all their Aether currents with the Regalia when we were doing the msq.

Yes. my friend who already had flying in Stormblood used to ferry me and my other two friends around in the Regalia and let us pick up the Aether currents quickly. Took less than 5min per zone.

Man I really fucked up by not getting the Regalia...

Well... Anyone need recruitment codes? I got some friends I need to ferry!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I helped my friend get all their Aether currents with the Regalia when we were doing the msq.

This would've helped me greatly last night when I was doing FATEs in Area 6 to conquer the last level grind gate and my FATE party kept bailing on me to fly to the other half of the map I couldn't get to yet because I wasn't level 80.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Because the community has long pushed tanks to pull big no matter what, party composition be damned. Don't want to piss off your WHM, who will then run ahead, pull more junk, and then rescue you into them, or whatever.

Big Fuck-You pulls as SAM were always extra fun in SB because I would just be out of TP by the time the pull's half dead.
As a healer I've never been the type to expect bigger pulls. I sometimes get tanks that pull small then I guess after some observation they pull big, or they ask before pulling big, pull big in the beginning without asking at all, or they just one mob at a time pull the whole way. I'm honestly fine with any style though I would prefer the tank to let me know at the start if they do big pulls so I know how to approach things.

I do ever so often get dps who run ahead and pull a mob to the tank who is one mob at a time tanking. I hate this because it makes the tank work harder than maybe they're used to or want to. I would never encourage a tank to do bigger pulls because I know a lot of them find it stressful.

Last edited:

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
What makes SMN the most complicated?

My level for complicated right now is something like Ninja with all the Mudras.
As someone who has leveled both NIN and SMN at 80 (because I'm a masochist) I consider SMN to be even more convoluted that NIN atm. You have to weave a million OGCD and timers, there are 3 distinct phases in which you want to do different things that are mutually exclusive with one another and the way they've arranged the rotation in 5.0 works when you get it going but it's very jarring as you level. Just like NIN, SMN is a lot of effort for low-ish returns currently. I personally think it's also downright unplayable when synced down because everyhting you get between 70 and 80 is gamechanging in a sense. Phoenix is very pretty at least.

Basically it's a straight forward spellcaster right?
BLM is a big number turret that spits huge explosions. Both its single target and AOE rotations are incredibly fluid and satisfying and as of 5.0 it has received so many QoL updates that its one detriment (you need to keep casting no matter what) is all but gone if you're decent at it. It has a lot of mechanical interplay but its rotation is very straightforward and I'm loving it.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I really fucked up by not getting the Regalia...

Well... Anyone need recruitment codes? I got some friends I need to ferry!
I can see them eventually putting up the Regalia up for sale in the mogstation like how all the FFXIII weapons and outfits are.

Speaking of XIII if they would somehow find it in their hearts to make the Mogstaff a two handed weapon so I can glamour it that would be nice.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I absolutely adore my NIN and have since I started playing him back around patch 2.4.
I LOVE weaving all my crazy mudra stuff and such and I never really noticed being the "lowest DPS" which I guess I just am in numbers.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
So, um. Hrothgar ride the pegasus mount when it's flying in an...interesting way. I can't tell if I love it or not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore my NIN and have since I started playing him back around patch 2.4.
I LOVE weaving all my crazy mudra stuff and such and I never really noticed being the "lowest DPS" which I guess I just am in numbers.

Ninja may have low DPS but it also has very high utility, it's kind of the anti-Samurai in that regard. SAM is literally all stabbing with no party support of any kind now that they removed the slashing resist debuff from Yukikaze as part of the damage formula reset.

If the only thing that matters to someone is DPS parsers and having the highest score, yeah, NIN might not be for them, but it's a fun class with a ton of cool moves that helps its party immensely just by existing.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah don't get me wrong it's great and I'm loving the way it currently plays (it's arguably the best it has ever been from a fun standpoint), it's just a lot of effort compared to almost every other job and incredibly difficult to optimize.

Ninja may have low DPS but it also has very high utility, it's kind of the anti-Samurai in that regard. SAM is literally all stabbing with no party support of any kind now that they removed the slashing resist debuff from Yukikaze as part of the damage formula reset.

If the only thing that matters to someone is DPS parsers and having the highest score, yeah, NIN might not be for them, but it's a fun class with a ton of cool moves that helps its party immensely just by existing.
We lost everything we had (smoke, shade, our Silence) but Trick Attack. Granted, Trick Attack more than compensates our low damage in organized groups but it definitely doesn't at a PUG level. I wouldn't say NIN has "very high utility" anymore. We're the best DPS in fights that last 15s though.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with ninja is that to get the most out of it you need to be co ordinated with the rest of your party which isn't realistic the vast majority of the time

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I've spent the last few days playing almost nothing but SMN and it's some of the most fun I've had with a DPS in this game, tbh. (Which probably means it will be completely demolished - I tend to have that kind of luck.) Honestly the takes about it in this thread get weirder all the time, to me - its numbers seem fine, at low levels it has more of a complete gameplay loop than most other jobs have when leveled down, and weaving in between casts isn't that hard. It's certainly a lot more interesting than most DPS jobs I've dabbled with other the years. I'd never taken SMN even semi-seriously before now so I'm not 100% certain what people's problem with it is other than they have to pay a lot more attention and be way more active when you play it now. The timings are tight and the avatar is underpowered IMO but it's a joy to play if you like high-APM classes.

The only major downside is that things take a little set-up to get going so on short-lived adds it feels like crap since you can't effectively do damage a lot of the time. If something has low HP it's halfway dead by the time you would be able to apply DoTs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Samurai got better armor design options. Sharing armor with Monk means you always look like a giant dork outside of artifact gear.

At least the level 80 AF gear is nice...

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey White Mages, what is your go-to "weave ability" after you recast Dia?
I think for Assize it's better to just take the clip than try and force it, but I haven't played lvl 80 WHM yet

I know double weaving every time you hit dia of Lilly heal is probably best though. Although you probably don't do Lilly heals during extremes.

This does bring up an interesting point for WHMs though, do you do the normal Precast Glare, cast Dia ASAP or do you hold Dia to get in during Trick and so you can also hit PoM and Assize in trick without clipping as well?

Edit: Apparently not you just do normal Glare spam and clip Assize when no Dia....

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
What's a good class for someone looking for a simple rotation at endgame? Managing three whole hotbars at high level always looks intimidating and I'm a bad micromanager so I'd like something simple to play.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
alrighty, I usually prefer tanks to caster archetypes but I do like the aesthetic of the red mage and I like that it has no specific prereq class
Tank rotations for Paladin/Warrior/Dark Knight is also really easy but you have to live with the fact that you have to carry the whole team on your back in every instance

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So...

The only reason Estinien is hanging out with Gaius right now is so the writers have an excuse to justify Gaius not getting himself slashed to ribbons by Zenos after that cut-to-black, right? Because I kinda feel like Gaius is screwed without Estinien there.

I mean, it's fine, but...that arc really needed more time spent on it rather than just three cutscenes over the entire course of the story.

Estinien is like this weird "AND I'M HERE TOO" cameo character at this point and I don't know why they're so resistant to actually making use of him.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was only "rescued" by a WHM, to force me into a larger pull, once since I came back to play.

I'm not letting that a second time. I'll gladly take the penalty.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So...

The only reason Estinien is hanging out with Gaius right now is so the writers have an excuse to justify Gaius not getting himself slashed to ribbons by Zenos after that cut-to-black, right? Because I kinda feel like Gaius is screwed without Estinien there.

I mean, it's fine, but...that arc really needed more time spent on it rather than just three cutscenes over the entire course of the story.

Estinien is like this weird "AND I'M HERE TOO" cameo character at this point and I don't know why they're so resistant to actually making use of him.
That felt more like a tease for 5.X and 6.0 to me

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That felt more like a tease for 5.X and 6.0 to me

Right.

They just did the same thing with Estinien in SB as well, having him pop up in the occasional short cutscene and then disappear for huge chunks of the plot. I guess they're just saving him rejoining the group as a full team member until the final chapter of the story?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
So...

I feel like they justified it enough when Estinien mentioned that Tataru was able to convince him to work with the Scions. He owes them(well the WoL) a lot so of course he'd be willing to help out if the Scions came calling for him to investigate something.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent the last few days playing almost nothing but SMN and it's some of the most fun I've had with a DPS in this game, tbh. (Which probably means it will be completely demolished - I tend to have that kind of luck.) Honestly the takes about it in this thread get weirder all the time, to me - its numbers seem fine, at low levels it has more of a complete gameplay loop than most other jobs have when leveled down, and weaving in between casts isn't that hard. It's certainly a lot more interesting than most DPS jobs I've dabbled with other the years. I'd never taken SMN even semi-seriously before now so I'm not 100% certain what people's problem with it is other than they have to pay a lot more attention and be way more active when you play it now. The timings are tight and the avatar is underpowered IMO but it's a joy to play if you like high-APM classes.

The only major downside is that things take a little set-up to get going so on short-lived adds it feels like crap since you can't effectively do damage a lot of the time. If something has low HP it's halfway dead by the time you would be able to apply DoTs.
I they that Summoner naturally plays better at low levels because you have easier access to things like Bane and just spam Outburst during AoE packs, but you have no big cooldown until 60 content and it's the base Deadwyrm Trance. You still have to deal with hard casting DoTs too frequently though and spreading them is really finicky when used individually. The single target stuff definitely doesn't feel good at low levels at all, and anyone who is familiar with the job is going to really feel not having Bahamut at any synced content below 70, and not having Phoenix below 80. Firebird Trance works completely differently when your normal minion stays out. Just feels bad.

Meanwhile stuff like MCH, SAM, DNC, etc. just wind up keeping a lot of their playstyle intact when scaled down. Even at cap it's not like SMN is bad or something but it's kind of stupid how much harder it is to play than the other casters without much in the way of meaningful benefit. Like you can do cool stuff but it definitely doesn't feel good or absolutely isn't intuitive.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by 'flavour' to be honest or what movies you are referring to. There are many great Japanese movies, some considered the best in their genre, that are enjoyed and appreciated in their native language with translated subtitles. I don't think people generally accuse them of lacking 'flavour' or needing an entirely different script to be appreciated by English language speakers.

Your way of thinking seems to be what gives rise to those awful remakes of classic non-English language films that Hollywood shits out periodically.

The developers have literally stated that the English localization has encouraged them to improve and add flavor to the Japanese version. The excellent localization has made the game better in every region, there's really no debating that.

It's great you're enjoying it but even at peak play you're doing middle of the pack dps for twice the work of most other classes. High APM, complicated, involved are ONLY good things if there is a payoff, and right now there is no payoff for the effort. It's busy for the sake of being busy, and that's not a good thing. There are multiple huge threads, filled with high end content players, that can summarize the problems better than I, if you want to read up on why people aren't happy with the current SMN situation.

+ read what dimb just posted.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Level 76 and just did the third leveling dungeon. Everything is so well done. Was lucky to get the WHM staff at the end. Doing the dungeon blind for the first time with the trust system is really a totally different experience. I really love it that you can take your time to soak it all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.