• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So speaking of MCH, anyone have any good videos or explanations on how they play now? I remember playing like maybe a level or less of them ages ago and not enjoying them but don't know anything about the rework other them getting a ton of sick new stuff like Edgar's tools and a Warmachine summon.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
just heard Feo Ul's english VA for the first time.... I dun get this. Why the tendency to give small creatures deep almost old hag sounding voices. Like, I am not claiming that kawaii uguu cute voice they get in JP are like amazing, but of two really overdone boring choices, one fits much better, while other just feels distracting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
just heard Feo Ul's english VA for the first time.... I dun get this. Why the tendency to give small creatures deep almost old hag sounding voices. Like, I am not claiming that kawaii uguu cute voice they get in JP are like amazing, but of two really overdone boring choices, one fits much better, while other just feels distracting.

To be fair to Feo Ul...

She becomes freaking Titania, so she SHOULD have a more queenly voice.

Besides, all the other Faeries have terribly annoying cutesy voices, so letting Feo Ul sound different works well.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Healer starts bashing DPS for not knowing the fight. Calls me out for defending them. The game has been out less than a month. My ban list is getting full.
That's a real bummer to hear. I've never seen that happen. The worst scenario I ever had was in HoH when on Floor 28 (out of 30) I had a person go "Stop wasting all the pomanders" in a PUG group.

I was like "It's floor 28 and it makes it faster, who cares?"
"I do that's why you shouldn't use them. You're wasting everyone's time."
So then we beat the boss easily because HoH is easy peazy and then we all go "good job everyone thanks all" and the like and he goes out of his way to go:
"gg ALMOST all"

Most petty player I've ever seen.

This has to be a young person thing. To think she sounds "like an old hag" is some next level take.

My gf and I love our Welsh Faerie Mum (Could be wrong on the dialect though, as I'm an uncultured American dude)

So speaking of MCH, anyone have any good videos or explanations on how they play now? I remember playing like maybe a level or less of them ages ago and not enjoying them but don't know anything about the rework other them getting a ton of sick new stuff like Edgar's tools and a Warmachine summon.
This rotations been serving me well from Balance Discord and such:

For people who can't watch the vid/click on the image:
Drill (GR + Ricochet) → Split Shot (Barrel Stabilizer + GR) → Slug Shot (Wildfire + Hypercharge) → Heat Blast (Ricochet) → Heat Blast (GR) → Heat Blast (Ricochet) → Heat Blast (GR) → Heat Blast (Reassemble) → Air Anchor (Ricochet + GR) → Clean Shot (Ricochet + GR) → Drill (Ricochet)

Here are the guides, be sure to jump in on Balance Discord if you get the chance because they do a lot of discussion there:

Here's one more breakdown of the class I liked too:

Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Should never have to watch guides for any content that isn't EX, Savage etc. Just ignore dummies who cry "ffs watch a video" etc on casual content.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I am hoping some kind users can help me out.

I just read this in a reddit thread a few days ago
I wonder if how people think of SB has anything to do with how much they enjoyed/were engaged with in ARR. I personally feel like SB is much more nuanced than HW, but enjoyed them equally for different reasons. I started the game relatively late (4.2), and so there wasn't much fatigue time between ARR and SB- and I feel like ARR with its focus on worldbuilding, builds up a LOT to Ala Mhigo's story. which makes the payoff really satisfying.

It took me over a year of on/off again playing to get to 3.0, so I have forgotten quite a lot of the 2.0 story. Which part of the ARR story has a lot of worldbuilding for the Ala Mhigo story? I might just start a new character and quickly level to check just those parts out to refresh my memory.

Thanks all

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
asdasde0j2f.jpg
mod edit: spoiler

man i loved that part. definitely a way better final area then the loch, lol.

how in the world is sitting on a bench somewhere a spoiler lmao

Last edited:

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Playing FFXIV recently got me thinking of FFXI. I've never played it but I'm curious as to how it's systems compared to FFXIV. Did it also have raids, rotations, logs, GCD/oGCD? I just can't imagine a 2002 mmo having compelling combat/endgame systems but it clearly did to get the acclaim it has.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Feo Ul's English VA is great, the real issue is the facial animation not reflecting her little outbursts.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Heavensward is pretty wild so far, the pacing is so much better cutting out all that must needs return to Waking Sands bullshit.

Ysayle and Estenien are great companions. The entire scene upto the defeat of Nidhogg was especially cool. Can't wait to see whats next.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

It took me over a year of on/off again playing to get to 3.0, so I have forgotten quite a lot of the 2.0 story. Which part of the ARR story has a lot of worldbuilding for the Ala Mhigo story? I might just start a new character and quickly level to check just those parts out to refresh my memory.

Thanks all

I just finished ARR but I don't remember much. The name sounds familiar though. Is that where the group of refugees in Ul'dah are from?

Like there is a main quest with them but to call it definitely wasn't a deep dive. I did skip side quests in that area though.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, she doesn't sound that old, she just sounds like an adult.
It was the same reaction to Welsh Nia. Era hates Welsh confirmed. :P jk jk

Heavensward is pretty wild so far, the pacing is so much better cutting out all that must needs return to Waking Sands bullshit.

Ysayle and Estenien are great companions. The entire scene upto the defeat of Nidhogg was especially cool. Can't wait to see whats next.
The "road trip vibe" with the companions in HW are some of my most remembered scenes. I remember already being in awe when I got to HW after being in ARR (I only started playing a year ago so there was no wait time between ARR and HW for me) but then we got to the scene around the campfire and I was like "wait...is this becoming a classic JRPG/FF now complete with character banter and campfire scenes?"

And by the end of HW I was in love. Even with its faults, I don't think SB ever got as bad as ARR, but I remember "Feeling" the difference when I got to HW and again when I got to ShB.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished ShB MSQ. That was great, I think I prefer SB final boss as a whole? Still this is possibly my favorite expansion of the game.

Thanks all

It's been years, but if I remember right. ARR early Uldah's quest talks about it. And then 2.x patches touches more on the matter.

1.0 also revolves around Ala Mhigo resistance quite notoriously.

Yeah SB is more impactful if you take how the resistance and refugees take a spot in the story and is something present in one way or another during several parts of the MSQ. But not sure is worth going back and do 2.0 again for it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Just finished ShB MSQ. That was great, I think I prefer SB final boss as a whole? Still this is possibly my favorite expansion of the game.

It's been years, but if I remember right. ARR early Uldah's quest talks about it. And then 2.x patches touches more on the matter.

1.0 also revolves around Ala Mhigo resistance quite notoriously.

Yeah SB is more impactful if you take how the resistance and refugees take a spot in the story and is something present in one way or another during several parts of the MSQ. But not sure is worth going back and do 2.0 again for it.
Raubahn's arc and the buildup before SB with you know who and the Shinryu Summoning also helps contextualize it. It's a shame that Square didn't give us more time with Raubahn being in the thick of it. The one scene with him and his home and stuff hit a lot more chords with me than the Lyse stuff.

I'm hoping we get more character returns/fleshing out in the next expac. I know they try to do more/new/different things each Expac but the content between expansions usually pulling everyone back in like they did with SB and the HW peeps made me long for a big Avengers style team up with all the characters we've met along the way. Even Fordola would be cool to have back after seeing all they did to make the Scions awesome.

I mean hell I care about Urianger now. I thought that'd never happen.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Even Fordola would be cool to have back after seeing all they did to make the Scions awesome.

You go back and visit her and Arenvald as part of the SMN Quest line! She's still kept in a cell in Ala Mhigo but joins the Immortal Flames Summoner unit as a conscript to help kill primals that get summoned in your absence alongside Arenvald. Arenvald, well, he's developed a crush on her.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
I use the Trust system for my first run now so I can take my time and watch cutscenes and not feel like I'm holding up the party. I use to watch a video guide before every dungeon to learn mechanics before going it but as normal as that was for XIV, it's not as fun. I'm sorry that you've been having some bad experiences and it's a shame that people are being so ugly. What data server are you on? I'm sure people here would be willing to help with any runs from time to time like helping you with your MSQ dungeons. A good FC also helps with these types of things as well.
I'm on Zodiark, EU data center. Used to play on JP but after deciding to main a tank, moved to EU because of ping.
Probably going to switch back to JP or try NA servers because I'm moving to Japan in October.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
So is leveling a crafting skill prohibitively expensive unless you pick up the trade skills necessary to support it? Or is it just my server econ? I'm trying to level leatherworking to have some side gear available, but it seems like past a certain point (i.e. when you need to start looking at the market for items) everything seems to be way out of my price range. People are asking for 20k gil for a stack of albumin, I mean I only need a few but it's like 390 pp for 99 or like 1500 pp for 2 or 3, and neither of those fit into my budget, I've made a total of about 22k gil from questing so far. Are trade skills more of like a "max level" thing?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to finish Shadowbringers and play rank the expansions. :) Right now Heavensward > Stormblood for sure.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
So is leveling a crafting skill prohibitively expensive unless you pick up the trade skills necessary to support it? Or is it just my server econ? I'm trying to level leatherworking to have some side gear available, but it seems like past a certain point (i.e. when you need to start looking at the market for items) everything seems to be way out of my price range. People are asking for 20k gil for a stack of albumin, I mean I only need a few but it's like 390 pp for 99 or like 1500 pp for 2 or 3, and neither of those fit into my budget, I've made a total of about 22k gil from questing so far. Are trade skills more of like a "max level" thing?
They are definitely an investment unless you level all the crafters/gatherers and go completely self-sufficient. You'll make more money as you level up but it's not an insignificant investment.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
So I'm leveling through heavensward and seem to be taking way more damage than before. I'm wearing the highest item level gear I've received from the msq so far. I'm a lvl 56 monk. Any tips to help?

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
They are definitely an investment unless you level all the crafters/gatherers and go completely self-sufficient. You'll make more money as you level up but it's not an insignificant investment.

Got it. Are there any that are generally more friendly to level up with a new character? All the gathering skills are fine I figure, but perhaps something like culinary might be more resource friendly?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
You go back and visit her and Arenvald as part of the SMN Quest line! She's still kept in a cell in Ala Mhigo but joins the Immortal Flames Summoner unit as a conscript to help kill primals that get summoned in your absence alongside Arenvald. Arenvald, well, he's developed a crush on her.
Aw that's great.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered Beast Tribe quests and oh no I can see myself spending a ton of time on this kind of progression.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised at how entertaining some of the beast tribe quests are. For the ones I'm doing at least (Vanu).

For whatever reason I wasn't expecting that at all.
So I'm leveling through heavensward and seem to be taking way more damage than before. I'm wearing the highest item level gear I've received from the msq so far. I'm a lvl 56 monk. Any tips to help?
I remember feeling that too (damage moreso than survivability), as a tank throughout Heavensward. I think it's just because you go from raid-tier gear from your class story / quests at level 50 to average gear once you get into Heavensward. It feels the worst in the middle of Heavensward and fades towards the end, once you start getting some good gear via quests again.

I was buying vendor gear in that level 54-58 lull (IIRC), and using some dungeon gear I found, to keep myself competitive. So I'd recommend that.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
I'm level 43 now. This game is fun as hell man why did I waste time on WoW last year when this was staring me in the face.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I really like 1. final fantasy 2. the ivalice aesthetic 3. class experimentation in games (abolish class except for in rpgs folks)

I'm just waiting and hoping the story comes together like most people are saying, and I'll be smitten.
FFXIV do start slow but is a game that the more you play the better it gets. The current expansion is superb with the best content XIV has ever seen (not talking raids here obviously as it is not out yet until tuesday), if you ask me. And ShB is the best expansion I have ever played in any MMO with a story that outshines most single player games, once again my own opinion but still. I am sooooo impressed by ShB it's crazy.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm really trying to get into this game but there are so many little things that bug me. For example, dismounting every time I speak to an NPC, having to manually dismount before I can cast (in WoW pressing the key dismounts you and starts the cast), the massive GCD which just makes the combat feel slow and clunky, having to manually hand off quest items instead of them just being given to the NPC when you turn in the quest etc etc. It just feels like the game needs a QoL pass, maybe I'm just spoilt from WoW which does the little things well.

I hit 53 today, and I might squeeze out 54 as well. I'm looking forward to getting to 70 for the new content which is supposedly good, and apparently at max level spell speed really helps with the GCD.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What is with this awful connection today? I've tried pinging Aether and I'm seeing random pings as high as 250 ms and even some packet loss. Staying away from EX today.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really trying to get into this game but there are so many little things that bug me. For example, dismounting every time I speak to an NPC, having to manually dismount before I can cast (in WoW pressing the key dismounts you and starts the cast), the massive GCD which just makes the combat feel slow and clunky, having to manually hand off quest items instead of them just being given to the NPC when you turn in the quest etc etc. It just feels like the game needs a QoL pass, maybe I'm just spoilt from WoW which does the little things well.

I hit 53 today, and I might squeeze out 54 as well. I'm looking forward to getting to 70 for the new content which is supposedly good, and apparently at max level spell speed really helps with the GCD.

There have been ridiculous amount of QoL changes since 2.0, which if you were to look at a list of, would shock you. The 2 points you described have been there since the beginning and unlikely to ever change. I haven't even thought of them really. You are at least doing the short cut for items turn in right? On controller for instance, pressing square auto fills it in.

As for the GCD, it sounds like your playing Black mage? 5.0 added 3 extra seconds to the astral fire/ice timer meaning spell speed isn't really crucial for the job anymore as it once was because u less you really mess up your fire 4 rotation, you have plenty of time to sneak everything in cleanly. But yeah, you picked the most GCD job there is with spells if that's the case. Stacking full spell speed at 80 may shave off .45 second if you min max it so it's not some radical change. But if you are playing BLM and not SMN, boy oh boy do you have some wonderful things to look forward to. The changes and new skills make BLM feel like a god, with movement barely being an issue if you even lightly plan for it.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There have been ridiculous amount of QoL changes since 2.0, which if you were to look at a list of, would shock you. The 2 points you described have been there since the beginning and unlikely to ever change. I haven't even thought of them really. You are at least doing the short cut for items turn in right? On controller for instance, pressing square auto fills it in.

As for the GCD, it sounds like your playing Black mage? 5.0 added 3 extra seconds to the astral fire/ice timer meaning spell speed isn't really crucial for the job anymore as it once was because u less you really mess up your fire 4 rotation, you have plenty of time to sneak everything in cleanly. But yeah, you picked the most GCD job there is with spells if that's the case. Stacking full spell speed at 80 may shave off .45 second if you min max it so it's not some radical change. But if you are playing BLM and not SMN, boy oh boy do you have some wonderful things to look forward to. The changes and new skills make BLM feel like a god, with movement barely being an issue if you even lightly plan for it.

Yeah I'm playing Black Mage. And I'm on PC, I haven't noticed a hotkey for handing stuff in so I've been doing it the slow way.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember friends, Feo Ul, like the rest of the fae we encounter, is always referred to with they/them pronouns!

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is with this awful connection today? I've tried pinging Aether and I'm seeing random pings as high as 250 ms and even some packet loss. Staying away from EX today.
Same on Primal as said above. Had a good Innocence EX group that had to stop because the lag was unbearable for that fight.

Dec 25, 2017
I'm finally nearing the end of the ShB MSQ, and all I can say is wow. The story is absolutely amazing. SE have outdone themselves with this expansion and it's not even close for me.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting AST to 80 next and this shit is wack. I have questions.

1. I saw a video that said that you have to save LS for Sleeve draw now. Why? Isn't it instant?

2. Why is it that whenever I play a card during Sleeve Draw, I don't get the little token?

3. Why is Divination's cooldown like 2 hours? Am I supposed to just Minor Arcana constantly till it's up again?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Question about Glamour- I know how to enchant one piece of gear to look a certain way but how do I make it so that even if I'm switching out my gear I still maintain the same looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.