• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an easy way to check out all of the different Grand Companies' cosmetics? Probably going to jump back in, but thinking about switching from Twin Adder for aesthetic reasons.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Joined a Titania EX learning party but things got suuuuper toxic between the healers and one of the tanks so I ditched it lol. Oh well, it seems easy enough. I'll go for a clear tomorrow.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared it today and proceeded to clear another 9 times for the weapon with the same group. Smooth as butter, a stark contrast to yesterday's dumpster fire.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't find the regular OT so I'm gonna post my experiences here.

I was super bored on the weekend, so I got myself FFXIV from Steam for 10€ and started it up.
First I created a Marauder, but then I read that they only use axes and those are boring, so I started over with a Human (Hyme? Hume? something like that) Lancer. I've read about how the lower levels are supposedly super boring, but I'm really enjoying myself.
I played mostly everything solo and on my own pace, just enjoying the story, characters and locales. I'm up to level 23 now, and the main story just required me to go through a bunch of dungeons. While I was super overwhelmed with all the effects flying around and even died once to a Bomb in the Copper Mines it was a lot of fun. Nabbed a couple of pink(?) rarity items, too. But god, I really need to become a healer, don't I? Always waiting 5 minutes or more for one while the other slots fill up fast. Also, just got myself a pet puppy!

The story, while fairly basic so far, is enjoyable enough to keep me playing. I'm actually interested in that "war 5 years ago", did the old FFXIV end with that big event and right after everything was rebooted into "Realm Reborn"? Anyway, seems cool.
The atmosphere, though. Woooww, everything is beautiful. Couple that with the amazing music and I'm having so much fun just getting lost in the areas. I had to turn off a whole bunch of UI elements to really appreciate it, but damn is it great now. Can't wait to see what else the game has in store for me.
The gameplay is pretty fun, too. I've bounced off WoW a couple of times, but the similar gameplay here just does something for me, I don't know. Comboing skills and stuff is fun, and I assume there's a lot more to come for my class.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind:
How would I go about leveling up a healer role? I assume it's less efficient to do it on the same character because I already did all the low level main story quests?
As a Lancer, do I need to pay attention to the side jobs like smithing and stuff? I picked up a bunch of them but I tend to dislike the "jobs" in every MMO I've tried.

I still don't know if I really want to pay for a subscription for this, though. I guess I'll see once the free period is over.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Leveled my MNK to 80 just in time. Still haven't done EX content, I was scared of doing them as Gunbreaker and fucking it up as I'm new to tanking.
How do you find MNK now? I've seen lots of negative impressions on the classwhen expansion came outy and I've heard it's the least popular DPS class too. The latter actually makes me more interested in it, but if MNK is really not in a good place, then maybe I should pick something else as a 1st character in the game.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
i think this is the 1st time you'll experience the 8 man raids right?
fyi for normal raids, they do NOT drop equipments
they drop tokens that you can trade for the equipments, something like the ex primal totems
each floor drop different tokens that can be traded into different types of armor
for example, floor 1 drops type A tokens, which can only be traded to accessories
floor 2 drops type B which is for head or feet
floor 3 C body and legs
etcetc

my example isn't accurate but you get the idea
This is the recommended 8 man raid gear progression if anyone need it.

XjsS9Wm.png

Ignore the ilevel, it should be the same no matter the raid.

Is there an easy way to check out all of the different Grand Companies' cosmetics? Probably going to jump back in, but thinking about switching from Twin Adder for aesthetic reasons.
xivstyle.com

xivstyle.com

The Complete FFXIV Armor Gallery

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
They did you a favor; that's a trash farm group.

Ugh. I'm already at 33 tokens not counting the ones I spent on DRK and GNB weapons.

Yeah, I'm at 64 clears. The blm that was a baby about being partner also was using the AF4 weapon/armor.

Like hello? They were even like "but I still out dps you" when I pointed out that they were death prone.

Like do these people lack any sort of social skills? Is it hard to say "hello, could I get dance partner please?" instead of "stop clowning around and tether me or the smn". All this in a launch extreme primal. LOLLLL

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
How would I go about leveling up a healer role? I assume it's less efficient to do it on the same character because I already did all the low level main story quests?
Everything can be done on the same character. Nothing carries over between characters because it's expected that you just play everything on one character. You'll have to redo absolutely everything on any new characters you make, so I highly advise you just stick to your single character.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

I was super bored on the weekend, so I got myself FFXIV from Steam for 10€ and started it up.
First I created a Marauder, but then I read that they only use axes and those are boring, so I started over with a Human (Hyme? Hume? something like that) Lancer. I've read about how the lower levels are supposedly super boring, but I'm really enjoying myself.
I played mostly everything solo and on my own pace, just enjoying the story, characters and locales. I'm up to level 23 now, and the main story just required me to go through a bunch of dungeons. While I was super overwhelmed with all the effects flying around and even died once to a Bomb in the Copper Mines it was a lot of fun. Nabbed a couple of pink(?) rarity items, too. But god, I really need to become a healer, don't I? Always waiting 5 minutes or more for one while the other slots fill up fast. Also, just got myself a pet puppy!

The story, while fairly basic so far, is enjoyable enough to keep me playing. I'm actually interested in that "war 5 years ago", did the old FFXIV end with that big event and right after everything was rebooted into "Realm Reborn"? Anyway, seems cool.
The atmosphere, though. Woooww, everything is beautiful. Couple that with the amazing music and I'm having so much fun just getting lost in the areas. I had to turn off a whole bunch of UI elements to really appreciate it, but damn is it great now. Can't wait to see what else the game has in store for me.
The gameplay is pretty fun, too. I've bounced off WoW a couple of times, but the similar gameplay here just does something for me, I don't know. Comboing skills and stuff is fun, and I assume there's a lot more to come for my class.

As a Lancer, do I need to pay attention to the side jobs like smithing and stuff? I picked up a bunch of them but I tend to dislike the "jobs" in every MMO I've tried.

I still don't know if I really want to pay for a subscription for this, though. I guess I'll see once the free period is over.
It's a lot more efficient to do everything on the same char, since every character has to redo all the story quests and unlocks and it takes forever. Any character lower than your max will get the armoury bonus, which gives 100% xp bonus up to 70(then 50% up to 80). You just do hunting log, dungeons, roulettes(daily bonus for dungeons and such, unlock when you get enough content in a category of roulette) and palace of the dead to level alt classes, it's not super fast but it's fast enough.

You don't need crafting or gathering in this game. They're side activities that have a lot of depth and generally require a hefty time investment, but they're entirely optional. The only direct bonus is being able to repair anywhere(as opposed to using NPCs). And I guess you can meld materias on your gear too without using the NPC. Just convenience basically.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Everything can be done on the same character. Nothing carries over between characters because it's expected that you just play everything on one character. You'll have to redo absolutely everything on any new characters you make, so I highly advise you just stick to your single character.

That's what I mean, though. I would have to go into a low level area again and farm myself up on enemies on those leve(?) quests. No MSQs left.

It's a lot more efficient to do everything on the same char, since every character has to redo all the story quests and unlocks and it takes forever. Any character lower than your max will get the armoury bonus, which gives 100% xp bonus up to 70(then 50% up to 80).

Ah, that I did not know. Awesome, thanks.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Stick with your Lancer for now. Keep doing MSQ and unlocking new dungeons, areas and side activities.

You can start a healer whenever. However without the MSQ, you'll be reliant on the hunting logs, dungeons and leves/fates for leveling. It's not too bad of a grind, but you definitely want to unlock a bunch of stuff first.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Just hit 80 on my WHM.

...I don't have any experience to gain anymore. Since April, this was a constant thing.

Feels weird. Will feel weirder when I get to the end of the MSQ and don't have anymore of that to do.

Just did Innocence for the first time. Group couldn't kill 2 of the adds in time on two attempts, first attempt me and the other healer(also a white mage) wondered if we could both Benison the same healer for a double shield just to survive it(first time no one but tanks did). We did, and while I'm not sure it worked, I survived with a literal 800 health. Res'd up the other healer, and we were able to get everyone up while dodging AoEs and finish it. LIVE for this type of thing when I play MMOs. ^_^

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Joined a Titania EX learning party but things got suuuuper toxic between the healers and one of the tanks so I ditched it lol. Oh well, it seems easy enough. I'll go for a clear tomorrow.

It is easy, my brother and I did it 100% new earlier today having only read a text guide and cleared it in like 3-4 pulls. He thinks it's easier than Susano EX lol.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They did you a favor; that's a trash farm group.

Ugh. I'm already at 33 tokens not counting the ones I spent on DRK and GNB weapons.
Why? In a farm group you'[re getting a ready check before you queue in, or worst case you queue in and you clicking 'commence' means you're ready. I'm counting down from 15 as soon as any relevant markers are up (which is none on Inno and like 3 seconds worth of setup on titania).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
And I guess you can meld materias on your gear too without using the NPC. Just convenience basically.
So there is a NPC that can do that for you? Was that patched in since ARR or was it always like that? I kinda remember that you had to ask other players to do it for you, but I might be wrong.

I have no interest in doing crafting again. It was fun when I did it a few years ago, but it's really time consuming. I'd rather spend my time collecting resources and catching fish to sell them on the market. This feels more fun to me. I just love gathering, lol.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah this is basically the end of 1.0 and the 7th umbral calamity (The war + Bahamut in the opening)

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is item space the biggest reason for make alts? Seeing how you can change race/genre at will and of course being able to do all content on a single character. Also can't imagine anyone wanting to do ARR again for whatever reason.
I have an alt on Aether(my main is on Primal) so when raids come I can pug on Aether without fucking over drops for my raid group.

Also it was an excuse to experience the story again
Yeah, I'm at 64 clears. The blm that was a baby about being partner also was using the AF4 weapon/armor.

Like hello? They were even like "but I still out dps you" when I pointed out that they were death prone.

Like do these people lack any sort of social skills? Is it hard to say "hello, could I get dance partner please?" instead of "stop clowning around and tether me or the smn". All this in a launch extreme primal. LOLLLL

On the one hand, partnering low DPS jobs is bad, on the other.... it's an ex launch trial that has an easy as fuck enrage.

Who gives a shit about ex numbers anyway?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Cleared Titania 10 times and got my dancer weapon, hope it's not going to be immediately outclassed by crafted weapons tomorrow.. lol

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared Titania 10 times and got my dancer weapon, hope it's not going to be immediately outclassed by crafted weapons tomorrow.. lol

Crafted weapons probably won't be here til Savage so you don't need to worry about that :P

That said, I think I'd glam my titania weapon anyway, it's pretty ^_^

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Who gives a shit about ex numbers anyway?
ppl who want epeen numbers or people who are probably looking for a static after coming back to the game.

Its basically the only worthwhile parseable content that's 5.x atm.

Your fflogs is basically your raiding resume. GOTTA MAKE 'EM LOOK GOOD.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people do considering I just saw a PF that said "Doing some runs for logs, if you suck, I'll kick. Don't take it personal if I kick. Gitgud"

or something to that effect.
I'd send him a tell "IT'S FREAKING EX"
ppl who want epeen numbers or people who are probably looking for a static after coming back to the game.

Its basically the only worthwhile parseable content that's 5.x atm.

Your fflogs is basically your raiding resume. GOTTA MAKE 'EM LOOK GOOD.
But there's no competition in ex, I haven't potted or even used food once yet I am still hitting 90.( think I have a couple of orange as WHM, but that's DNC pad) Like it doesn't fucking matter what your numbers are in ex, just look at alphascape logs to see if they have any skill. These fights are way too easy for fflogs to come close to even mattering.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
But there's no competition in ex, I haven't potted or even used food once yet I am still hitting 90.( think I have a couple of orange as WHM, but that's DNC pad) Like it doesn't fucking matter what your numbers are in ex, just look at alphascape logs to see if they have any skill. These fights are way too easy for fflogs to come close to even mattering.
They can still be used as a judgement of skill. Granted the barrier to entry is low in an extreme primal so you'd have to offer 80 or 90 percentile logs rather than just saying you cleared alphascape during patch 4.4 or whatever.

Some people are coming back from a long hiatus, a lot of job changes have occured, and god knows what else.

Though to be fair my static is running UwU to get our mechanical skills sharpened up because we're eating shit 15 different ways in Innocence Ex but still clearing.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
So there is a NPC that can do that for you? Was that patched in since ARR or was it always like that? I kinda remember that you had to ask other players to do it for you, but I might be wrong.

I have no interest in doing crafting again. It was fun when I did it a few years ago, but it's really time consuming. I'd rather spend my time collecting resources and catching fish to sell them on the market. This feels more fun to me. I just love gathering, lol.
Used to be you needed players, but you also didn't need to meld most of the gear so it was fine. When they added materia slots to raid gear, they also added a NPC in every major city that meld stuff for you for 1200g each(so nothing), just can't overmeld, you still need players for that, but that's only needed on crafted gear. You can find the NPC on the map it's marked with a blue materia icon and is generally in the market area.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Used to be you needed players, but you also didn't need to meld most of the gear so it was fine. When they added materia slots to raid gear, they also added a NPC in every major city that meld stuff for you for 1200g each(so nothing), just can't overmeld, you still need players for that, but that's only needed on crafted gear. You can find the NPC on the map it's marked with a blue materia icon and is generally in the market area.
Cool, Thx.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I'm levelling WHM and I'm at 60 now. I used to heal in MMOs a lot (raided as Holy Priest back in Wrath/Cata era WoW) but went DPS as I got more casual and didn't want to deal with the stress of healing.

Pretty fun so far. The WHM toolbox feels like I have an answer to anything except people being bad repeatedly. Even then people tend to just laugh about it and we move on and beat whatever wiped us second time round. In WoW I'd just cop the blame and get abuse.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm counting down from 15 as soon as any relevant markers are up (which is none on Inno and like 3 seconds worth of setup on titania).

Granted, it's just an EX but Dancer wants to start prep @14s which makes reacting to a sudden 15s countdown kind of awkward. Not counting any other on-zone in prep that may need to be done.

Preference, I guess. I just stick to a ready check -> 20s countdown as it costs relatively zero time and gives people an opportunity to at least try to open properly. Even when it doesn't matter.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
So what's the deal with blue mages? They seem incredibly different and innovative but only until one hits 50?
They're side content. Level them up to 50 and learn Blue Mage actions and then go to the Masked Carnivale and clear out arenas while doing special objectives.

Good source of Allied Seals if you can't make it to ARR hunts.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using tincs of int and espresso food whenever I do the EXs right now. Just to make sure we have the dps to beat them (some groups, even farms barely get past the add phase of Titania for instance)

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using tincs of int and espresso food whenever I do the EXs right now. Just to make sure we have the dps to beat them (some groups, even farms barely get past the add phase of Titania for instance)
can't imagine myself spending so much money on them, those things are expensive
unless you're those omni crafters with pretty much unlimited gil

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
So are people taking Dancers into these high end fights? Its what I'm leveling now since I enjoy the gamestyle so much but I have my BLM parked at 70 just in case. Also why does it feel so hard for me to make gil? Can't even get up over 1.5mil to start saving to buy housing lol.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I finished the story late on Saturday night. I have to say the whole build up towards the final fight was just masterful. Entering the
Ascian city, going through the dungeon straight into the cut scene and then the trial was awesome. And the Shadowbringers theme kicking in at just the right time. I just queued for the trial straight away after the cut scene and didn't even teleport out but just waited there for the queue to pop so as not to disturb the flow. I also was thinking they were going to fail to explain the presence of the other players but they covered that too in a great way.

I have my niggles with the story but overall I have to say that they have done it again. They've delivered another first rate Final Fantasy story.
The choice of final boss was great but I'm actually disappointed that they killed him off. It felt like a personal beef with him in a way that it hasn't for the previous expansion final bosses.

They have retroactively made the Ascians really cool but now there is only one left of them.
Also is Minfilia the Lighting of FF XIV? :(

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
can't imagine myself spending so much money on them, those things are expensive
unless you're those omni crafters with pretty much unlimited gil
Honestly the aethersands are kind of silly easy this time around and FATEs make the monster materials a lot easier to get. Plus they're level79/80 recipes so they're pretty easy to macro synth without specialization.

Honestly the hardest part about crafting this tier for me has been staying stocked up on crystals. Wind crystals are going for 400 gil a pop and they're the ones I'm chewing through the fastest (Bless the 36 retainers i have getting this shit for me atm.)

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Just did Innocence for the first time. Group couldn't kill 2 of the adds in time on two attempts, first attempt me and the other healer(also a white mage) wondered if we could both Benison the same healer for a double shield just to survive it(first time no one but tanks did). We did, and while I'm not sure it worked, I survived with a literal 800 health. Res'd up the other healer, and we were able to get everyone up while dodging AoEs and finish it. LIVE for this type of thing when I play MMOs. ^_^

That's just epic! I love comeback moments

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Wrapped up the MSQ last night. That was probably one of the better RPG stories I've experienced and the entire team really outdid themselves this expansion. The art, music, writing, voice acting, dungeons etc were all top notch. Dancer also managed to deliver after years of waiting for them to add it, it's not the healer I'd hoped it would be but it has a really fun kit.

Unfortunately I won't be able to dig into the EX primals for another week or so since I'm on crappy internet at the moment but I'm looking forward to finally getting the chance.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Is this game solid on PS4 now? Heard a lot of complaints about UI and all that back during beta days. Would love to get into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.