• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the story late on Saturday night. I have to say the whole build up towards the final fight was just masterful. Entering the
Ascian city, going through the dungeon straight into the cut scene and then the trial was awesome. And the Shadowbringers theme kicking in at just the right time. I just queued for the trial straight away after the cut scene and didn't even teleport out but just waited there for the queue to pop so as not to disturb the flow. I also was thinking they were going to fail to explain the presence of the other players but they covered that too in a great way.

I have my niggles with the story but overall I have to say that they have done it again. They've delivered another first rate Final Fantasy story.
The choice of final boss was great but I'm actually disappointed that they killed him off. It felt like a personal beef with him in a way that it hasn't for the previous expansion final bosses.

They have retroactively made the Ascians really cool but now there is only one left of them.
Also is Minfilia the Lighting of FF XIV? :(

Remember folks if you wish to go more in-depth with spoilers we do have a spoiler thread.

Spoiler Thread Here

Obviously spoiler tagged stuff in this thread is fine.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the aethersands are kind of silly easy this time around and FATEs make the monster materials a lot easier to get. Plus they're level79/80 recipes so they're pretty easy to macro synth without specialization.

Honestly the hardest part about crafting this tier for me has been staying stocked up on crystals. Wind crystals are going for 400 gil a pop and they're the ones I'm chewing through the fastest (Bless the 36 retainers i have getting this shit for me atm.)

36 retainers?! Holy shit.

I thought they could only get shards, not crystals?

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Yeah, I'm at 64 clears. The blm that was a baby about being partner also was using the AF4 weapon/armor.

Like hello? They were even like "but I still out dps you" when I pointed out that they were death prone.

Like do these people lack any sort of social skills? Is it hard to say "hello, could I get dance partner please?" instead of "stop clowning around and tether me or the smn". All this in a launch extreme primal. LOLLLL

That BLM is a clown. "I out dps'd you and and the Ninja". Uhhhh, you fucking better out dps the two lowest hitting jobs in the game when you're the highest. The dps floor for BLM is so damn high.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Complete stage grind is exhausting, it is like 5-6 dungeons for each symbol to glow? At least I'm almost there, AST Lux is beautiful.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm levelling WHM and I'm at 60 now. I used to heal in MMOs a lot (raided as Holy Priest back in Wrath/Cata era WoW) but went DPS as I got more casual and didn't want to deal with the stress of healing.

Pretty fun so far. The WHM toolbox feels like I have an answer to anything except people being bad repeatedly. Even then people tend to just laugh about it and we move on and beat whatever wiped us second time round. In WoW I'd just cop the blame and get abuse.
I've actually haven't really run into many "toxic" randoms this expansion. Most seem to all silently agree we're all new, and mistakes are going to happen.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Does anyone know a site or some tips for skill layouts for classes on the ps4 controller. I can manage with a Ninja but just got the dancer job and am so confused. Or am i missing something? I have enable the third skill bar with the push of the L2 and R2 triggers but still struggling with a good flow.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The Complete stage grind is exhausting, it is like 5-6 dungeons for each symbol to glow? At least I'm almost there, AST Lux is beautiful.

Man, I've run so many dungeons for my WHM Zeta Relic that I might as well have shown off my optimized runs during Games Done Quick...
I had Tam-Tara Deepcroft down to under 3 minutes if I recall correctly.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
That BLM is a clown. "I out dps'd you and and the Ninja". Uhhhh, you fucking better out dps the two lowest hitting jobs in the game when you're the highest. The dps floor for BLM is so damn high.
You'd think that, but you never know with randoms. I had to leave an expert roulette earlier after the first boss, gave them the benefit of the doubt on trash, DPS not aoeing happens and it's whatever, but then the BLM was 3.8k and the SAM was 3.5k, on the boss. Like yeah no I'm out of here I'll go do FATEs. Healer wasn't DPSing either, which I'm fine with in roulettes but that's basically 3people doing about 7k DPS, about as much as I was doing on my 430PLD.

Haven't had anyone bitch at me for partner stuff on my DNC though, yet. I even switch partners between pulls and stuff when I notice one does higher damage, but so far they've been fine with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know a site or some tips for skill layouts for classes on the ps4 controller. I can manage with a Ninja but just got the dancer job and am so confused. Or am i missing something? I have enable the third skill bar with the push of the L2 and R2 triggers but still struggling with a good flow.

Single Target Crossbar
R1:
Circle - Cascade
X - Fountain
Square - Reverse Cascade
Triangle - Fountainfall
Right - Fan Dance
Down - Fan Dance III
Left - Sabre Dance
Up - Standard Step
L2:
Circle - Devilment
X - Shield Samba
Square - Flourish
Triangle - En Avant
Right - Closed Position
Down - Curing Waltz
Left - Improvization
Up - Technical Step

Multi-target Crossbar is the exact same except for R2 where the 4 AOE attacks are mapped where the single target ones are, and Fance Dance II is in place of Fan Dance. I like holding down only R2 for my main attacks so having two separate bars keeps things simple and it's easy enough to switch between them based on the situation. L2 + R2 I have the exact same setup as my multi-target R2 except for some Role Actions in a couple of spots. This is for convenience when using Flourish on my single target bar so I don't have to switch bars when using it. Double click L2 is my other Role Actions. Double click R2 is my single target R2 attacks and Standard Step because the single target attacks are the Dance Steps and so it's mainly just there as a quick convenience for Standard or Technical Step while on my multi-target bar.

You can easily just map your AOE stuff to L2+R2 and you should be good. For whatever reason I just don't like holding L2+R2 in for a sustained amount of time.

YonderOne

Nov 29, 2018
Perth, Australia
Honestly the aethersands are kind of silly easy this time around and FATEs make the monster materials a lot easier to get. Plus they're level79/80 recipes so they're pretty easy to macro synth without specialization.

Honestly the hardest part about crafting this tier for me has been staying stocked up on crystals. Wind crystals are going for 400 gil a pop and they're the ones I'm chewing through the fastest (Bless the 36 retainers i have getting this shit for me atm.)

36?! Isn't there like a limit of 9 retainers per service account?

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
You'd think that, but you never know with randoms. I had to leave an expert roulette earlier after the first boss, gave them the benefit of the doubt on trash, DPS not aoeing happens and it's whatever, but then the BLM was 3.8k and the SAM was 3.5k, on the boss. Like yeah no I'm out of here I'll go do FATEs. Healer wasn't DPSing either, which I'm fine with in roulettes but that's basically 3people doing about 7k DPS, about as much as I was doing on my 430PLD.

Haven't had anyone bitch at me for partner stuff on my DNC though, yet. I even switch partners between pulls and stuff when I notice one does higher damage, but so far they've been fine with it.

I'm a noob so here's a noob question:

I thought DPS aoe'ing was a bad thing? Because it pulls aggro? As a DPS, specifically a Bard, should I just play it by ear or should I usually be AOE'ing or not?

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

You were smart for leaving. I was just annoyed that I looked up that individuals logs only to find out that they're a green parsing BLM and have the nerve to talk down to Marie who is parsing orange.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

I thought DPS aoe'ing was a bad thing? Because it pulls aggro? As a DPS, specifically a Bard, should I just play it by ear or should I usually be AOE'ing or not?
You usually want to aoe 3+ mobs. It's a much faster way to kill them all instead of going one by one. Also, if a tank can't maintain aggro in 5.0 it's probably cuz their tank stance is off.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

I can only speak for easy content like dungeon or similar, but ideally the tank try to take the biggest pack of mob possible to maximise DPS damage with aoe. It allow those dungeon run to go much faster. Tank have the tools to keep aggro on multiple mobs, if the tank know how to use them obviously.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who is going through the game as a Bard right now, I don't think I've ever pulled aggro off a tank with an AoE. What others have said is right, large groups you should be using your AoE abilities.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so I found out that Ardbert and Gaius aren't the only ones with Game of Thrones actors for the English ver.

Vauthry is voiced by Edward Dogliani who played Rattleshirt.

Ran'jit is voiced by David Rintoul who briefly played Aerys Targaryen.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I got a lvl 70 BLM (coming from SMN) and I am still getting around the rotation, etc.
I am a bit confused, but trying to practice as much as possible to not be too shit during dungeons/trials.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
There's not a complete 12 hour cycle for yellow scrips? That's weird.

Move Triplite to 4AM/PM, you cowards.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Do you by any chance used to be a WoW player? Because I remember I had the same mentality coming in from WoW and how AOE-ing were a big nono lol.

With the new expansion it's super effortless for tanks to maintain aggro, and even before that all tanks have an AOE rotation, and since every trash mob pull is a group pull anyway so go crazy with AOE spams.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

This has never been the case in XIV(well maybe in 1.0 I guess). If there's 3 targets or more, it's pretty much always good to aoe, regardless of which class you play. Some classes had a bit more finesse in the past(TP classes had to manage TP obviously, and MNK had Arm of the Destroyer which was only good at like 6+ targets and so on) but with ShB they reworked every DPS class to have a good strong aoe rotation of at least 2 buttons, quite often more, while at the same time making tank threat trivial.

You should always be aoeing unless it's down to ~2mobs then it depends on the skills and class(some skills are still worth using on 2 targets, some are not). If your tank isn't holding aggro, they're either 1) not in tank stance, get them to turn on tank stance, they won't keep aggro single target either 2) not using their aoes damage skills, so tell them to do it, cause they do both aoe threat but also do more damage than their single rotations, just like DPS. 3) dead.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten to 76 on my AST and I've got to say the tools for healing have improved, but I still find AST healing at 76 still inferior to how SCH and WHM felt at 76. Horoscope is nice but it feels awkward to use since rather than something that makes healing just stronger, it makes it stronger but it's also a group heal button in and of itself and I sometimes forget to press it again.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten to 76 on my AST and I've got to say the tools for healing have improved, but I still find AST healing at 76 still inferior to how SCH and WHM felt at 76. Horoscope is nice but it feels awkward to use since rather than something that makes healing just stronger, it makes it stronger but it's also a group heal button in and of itself and I sometimes forget to press it again.

Iam at 78 with my ast and i have to say it just feels super clunky to play because of some of the super long CDs. I am sure they will address it a bit because it sure feels weak overall.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Somewhat of a random question. I've been on the fence on jumping back for a few months - is there any way to get the game files loaded/updated without an active account? Just from the launcher it looks like I can't even update to current without an active sub.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I looked at AST for the first time earlier today actually, some of the skills look so bad tbh. Like why is Celestial Opposition 2mins cd still? Shit fucking sucks, it has to be the worst heal in the game from a healer class, it's worse than the DNC 1min heal(if ppl are stacked granted). Horoscope looks like a shittier version of Plenary? Unless I'm misreading the tooltips, I'm still not 100% sure of what it does. The cards ain't so bad though, it lacks any sort of meaningful choice as there's no reason to hold cards or plan ahead, just play whatever you draw that you don't have a seal for, but it's like, not awful at least.

Definitely not looking forward to lvling this crap until it gets buffed in 5.05, or later. I actually like SCH too so don't feel like lvling other healers in general. I wouldn't mind getting Energy Drain back(without mp regen, just for damage) and a potency boost to Ruin II so it's not a potency loss to single weave it, but other than that I'm cool with the class.

Somewhat of a random question. I've been on the fence on jumping back for a few months - is there any way to get the game files loaded/updated without an active account? Just from the launcher it looks like I can't even update to current without an active sub.

You can make a trial account and dl with that, but it won't be the full thing. Still better than nothing though.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the general consensus on MCH now? Are they in a good place? Fun to play?

I've been thinking about leveling the class up, but I don't really know their general playstyle now.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Iam at 78 with my ast and i have to say it just feels super clunky to play because of some of the super long CDs. I am sure they will address it a bit because it sure feels weak overall.
Yea AST healing just feels like I am doing so much more work healing than the other healers. Really a lot of feels like potency issues and oddly long CDs for things that don't seem they need to be long like like Celestial Opposition. That skill is not good enough to need a 2 min. CD. I'll reserve final judgment until I hit 80 then I can really compare all the healers at 80.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017

3 or more enemies, AOE. Don't worry about aggro. With the new changes to Tanks and TP, unless the tank is literally not pushing any buttons, you should never pull aggro from them.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea AST healing just feels like I am doing so much more work healing than the other healers. Really a lot of feels like potency issues and oddly long CDs for things that don't seem they need to be long like like Celestial Opposition. That skill is not good enough to need a 2 min. CD. I'll reserve final judgment until I hit 80 then I can really compare all the healers at 80.

I actually think the problem is that the new abilitys don't feel good compared with what is lost though the new card system. It just no fun to play, but to be fair it's my only healer.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I looked at AST for the first time earlier today actually, some of the skills look so bad tbh. Like why is Celestial Opposition 2mins cd still? Shit fucking sucks, it has to be the worst heal in the game from a healer class, it's worse than the DNC 1min heal(if ppl are stacked granted). Horoscope looks like a shittier version of Plenary? Unless I'm misreading the tooltips, I'm still not 100% sure of what it does. The cards ain't so bad though, it lacks any sort of meaningful choice as there's no reason to hold cards or plan ahead, just play whatever you draw that you don't have a seal for, but it's like, not awful at least.

Definitely not looking forward to lvling this crap until it gets buffed in 5.05, or later. I actually like SCH too so don't feel like lvling other healers in general. I wouldn't mind getting Energy Drain back(without mp regen, just for damage) and a potency boost to Ruin II so it's not a potency loss to single weave it, but other than that I'm cool with the class.
It took me a while to figure it out but Horoscope has two functions: When you press it it puts you and nearby party members under the effect of Horoscope which makes Helios or Aspected Helios heals stronger. If you press Horoscope a second time it is a group heal button but only for those under the effect.

I think...

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

That's the general consensus I'm hearing with AST. As an 80 WHM, it feels shockingly weird how little I've needed to use cure 2 this expac, even in big trash pulls. I've only just hit 430 so I haven't done any EX content, but from what I hear it's not too much different. Maybe things will be different with Eden and Savage though.

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017

This is my set up, works great for me except sometimes i accidently un dance partner sometimes

vmm14Uu.jpg

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it has some restrictions though, you cannot join a guild from his world for example but you can still have cross-world channels of communication. You can stay in another world as long as you like.

You should do that and attempt a server transfer when it is not full, it's a bit of a hefty price but it would be my preferred course of action
I'm okay with that until I can do a full transfer. I'm not even sure I'll stick with the game, but as long as I can play with him for now I'm happy. Thanks!

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Chaosthorn I have a similar setup at 60 except I keep AoE buttons, Standard Step, and En Avant on face buttons because it allows me to use them on the move. I can hit directional buttons while moving but it's a little awkward. My four AoE buttons are on R2>L2. Are you using expanded hotbars?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
That's the general consensus I'm hearing with AST. As an 80 WHM, it feels shockingly weird how little I've needed to use cure 2 this expac, even in big trash pulls. I've only just hit 430 so I haven't done any EX content, but from what I hear it's not too much different. Maybe things will be different with Eden and Savage though.

I pretty much only use Cure 2 if Afflatus Solace and Tetragrammaton aren't available which isn't too often. Occasionally I'll have to spam Cure 2 on a giant pull. WHM feels great to me right now. I wanna love AST but it has made an awful first impression at just 70.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't find the regular OT so I'm gonna post my experiences here.

I was super bored on the weekend, so I got myself FFXIV from Steam for 10€ and started it up.
First I created a Marauder, but then I read that they only use axes and those are boring, so I started over with a Human (Hyme? Hume? something like that) Lancer. I've read about how the lower levels are supposedly super boring, but I'm really enjoying myself.
I played mostly everything solo and on my own pace, just enjoying the story, characters and locales. I'm up to level 23 now, and the main story just required me to go through a bunch of dungeons. While I was super overwhelmed with all the effects flying around and even died once to a Bomb in the Copper Mines it was a lot of fun. Nabbed a couple of pink(?) rarity items, too. But god, I really need to become a healer, don't I? Always waiting 5 minutes or more for one while the other slots fill up fast. Also, just got myself a pet puppy!

The story, while fairly basic so far, is enjoyable enough to keep me playing. I'm actually interested in that "war 5 years ago", did the old FFXIV end with that big event and right after everything was rebooted into "Realm Reborn"? Anyway, seems cool.
The atmosphere, though. Woooww, everything is beautiful. Couple that with the amazing music and I'm having so much fun just getting lost in the areas. I had to turn off a whole bunch of UI elements to really appreciate it, but damn is it great now. Can't wait to see what else the game has in store for me.
The gameplay is pretty fun, too. I've bounced off WoW a couple of times, but the similar gameplay here just does something for me, I don't know. Comboing skills and stuff is fun, and I assume there's a lot more to come for my class.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind:
How would I go about leveling up a healer role? I assume it's less efficient to do it on the same character because I already did all the low level main story quests?
As a Lancer, do I need to pay attention to the side jobs like smithing and stuff? I picked up a bunch of them but I tend to dislike the "jobs" in every MMO I've tried.

I still don't know if I really want to pay for a subscription for this, though. I guess I'll see once the free period is over.

One tip, if you like the classes involved:

The Arcanist, unlike, afaict, every other class, has two specializations. They can at level 30 either become a Summoner, a DPS job, or a Scholar, a healer job. But they share the same EXP pool and most of the same types of equipment, so you get both a DPS and a Healer job leveling up at the same time. This means you can play through all the solo story content on your DPS and do all the insta queue party stuff on a healer. It's as simple as unequipping and re-equipping one item.

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
Chaosthorn I have a similar setup at 60 except I keep AoE buttons, Standard Step, and En Avant on face buttons because it allows me to use them on the move. I can hit directional buttons while moving but it's a little awkward. My four AoE buttons are on R2>L2. Are you using expanded hotbars?

I dont have much problem using them on the move, as i slide my finger from the right stick over to the left stick for a second

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, so I found out that Ardbert and Gaius aren't the only ones with Game of Thrones actors for the English ver.

Vauthry is voiced by Edward Dogliani who played Rattleshirt.

Ran'jit is voiced by David Rintoul who briefly played Aerys Targaryen.
It sounded like Seto was voiced by the guy who played Barristan Selmy but I could be wrong on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.