• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Knight is a bit slower than GNB because a lot of its OGCD moves are 60+ second cooldowns.

So you'll blow everything at the beginning then you'll be mostly throwing out the occasional Edge and TBN until 60s are up and you can use most of them again.

With GNB you have burst every 30s and 60s with the way the cooldowns line up.

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Been playing since 3 days before Shadowbringers came out and I'm having a blast. Bought a lvl boost for Dragoon because I wanted to try Samurai and Gunbreaker early and I'm loving both. So far my lvls are:

Rogue - 15
Bard - 30
Samurai - 50
Gunbreaker - 60
Dragoon - 70

As far as MSQ, I'm at lvl 28, just done a Haunted Mansion dungeon as gunbreaker and it was really fun. I'm sticking to playing Samurai mostly, but it seems that the duty finder takes a while for DPS jobs. Couple of questions about equipment and side content:

Should I just focus on MSQ until I get to Shadowbringers stuff or is there some side content that's recommended to get things like faster mounts?
My Samurai and Gunbreaker all have their starting equipment on, is it worthy to go get better armor or weapons for them now or just wait until I'm higher lvl?
Unlocked a lvl 16 leveling roulette, will that help me lvl up gunbreaker or samurai or should I try to unlock higher level ones?
Are there any raids or dungeons for more than 4 people on MSQ or is all that stuff optional/endgame?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite liking Machinist atm. Leveled it to 65 from 50 in SB ( Don't know why but I really didn't seem to like it back there and gave it up pretty fast) I don't even really know what much changed since I barely played the job but I like the pew-pew now and I need a new ranged job since SE took my SMN away from me and burned it with fire.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing since 3 days before Shadowbringers came out and I'm having a blast. Bought a lvl boost for Dragoon because I wanted to try Samurai and Gunbreaker early and I'm loving both. So far my lvls are:

Rogue - 15
Bard - 30
Samurai - 50
Gunbreaker - 60
Dragoon - 70

As far as MSQ, I'm at lvl 28, just done a Haunted Mansion dungeon as gunbreaker and it was really fun. I'm sticking to playing Samurai mostly, but it seems that the duty finder takes a while for DPS jobs. Couple of questions about equipment and side content:

Should I just focus on MSQ until I get to Shadowbringers stuff or is there some side content that's recommended to get things like faster mounts?
My Samurai and Gunbreaker all have their starting equipment on, is it worthy to go get better armor or weapons for them now or just wait until I'm higher lvl?
Unlocked a lvl 16 leveling roulette, will that help me lvl up gunbreaker or samurai or should I try to unlock higher level ones?
Are there any raids or dungeons for more than 4 people on MSQ or is all that stuff optional/endgame?

Focus on MSQ generally, quest icons with + marks unlock content of some sort and are worth doing. Starting equipment is fine until you get better equipment. You really don't need to worry about that until you start earning Poetic tomestones, at which point you buy stuff then forget about it for a while. Leveling roulette every day. It's very worth it. MSQ has two 8 man dungeons and many 8 man trials.

I'm quite liking Machinist atm. Leveled it to 65 from 50 in SB ( Don't know why but I really didn't seem to like it back there and gave it up pretty fast) I don't even really know what much changed since I barely played the job but I like the pew-pew now and I need a new ranged job since SE took my SMN away from me and burned it with fire.

It's completely different now, mostly in a good way. It used to be one of the worst feeling jobs synced down, now it's one of the best. It gets its core tools relatively early so you have a solid feeling rotation throughout.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Well DNC is definitely quite a bit lower than other classes, at least in my experience.

If you take a look at max DPS though, you'll see that even at 10k DNC parses, they're still pretty far behind with BLMs topping at 14+k in these super padded runs, so yeah. In a normal setup where the DNC isn't getting padded, they're not doing 10k though currently.

I mean, I'm not trying to compare max pad DNC vs max pad BLM. Just noting that the high end of Dancer in current gear is pushing 10k and that 10k for their 98-99th isn't as low as it's being made out to be. There's plenty of parses at the 9.7k+ range that are still without actual padding of the DNC (because they're busy padding someone else) so it's not just max pad in order to reach there. Basically, Dancer can reach ~10k without being the target of padding which isn't that bad when their rDPS contribution is pushing that number to ~11.5k effective DPS. There's also something to be said about most 95th+ logs will have some form of rDPS addition to consider too when we get down to trying to do direct comparisons.

All of that wasn't my point, though, and more that reading FFLogs DPS distribution is a thing when you take something as highly popular as Dancer. It has 26k total parses right now (for Innocence EX), double many of the jobs or at least 50%+ more than them. The only thing remotely close to that number is DRG is like 22k.

Both feel great in ShB though. The Blackest Night is insanely good on DRK now (probably going to get a nerf to some degree) and GNB has some good DPS potential. Still feeels like Brutal Shell needs some buff or something to give the GNB more of the "attack to stay alive" feeling.

Brutal Shell's only real comparison is Storm's Path and it beats Storm's Path as far as the type of effect goes; that and being split heal and shielding is kind of nice for streamlining damage taken. As far as tBN goes, though, it's meant to be the "best" personal mitigation button so I doubt it'll get nerfed. I think it may end up needing a duration buff depending on auto damage values as it may actually be kind of hard to guarantee it breaking in non-buster situations. And if we get more Tail End-esque busters (incredibly high damage hits that are >> Tank HP), tBN is actually the worst option as it tops out it's scaling at TankHP value rather than incoming damage.

Edit: Tank cooldown and other things like that may skew the tBN math as well so don't take that as a blanket case lol. Just more noting the failing of effectively +Max HP vs DR%. DRK is in general in the best spot for needing the least healing off a big buster with cooldowns + tBN.

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

Rogue - 15
Bard - 30
Samurai - 50
Gunbreaker - 60
Dragoon - 70

1. There's some good side content when you get to the end of each point of MSQ/expac. There's the 8 man raids like Coils of Bahamut for ARR, Alexander for HW, and Omega for SB that are all easy content now with decent story attached to them. There's also the 24 man raids as well like Crystal Tower for ARR, The Sky Pirates HW 24 man, and Ivalice for SB that also have story attached to them in additional to being fun raids. There's also stuff like the optional 8 man raids like the warring triad in HW and SB as well as Hildebrand, etc. It's a lot to worry about right now, so I'd wait till you finish the last main scenario quest in 2.0 then ask again what kind of side content you should be doing.

As for faster mounts, in HW and onward you can get flying mounts by collecting all the aether currents in each area that are pretty easy to find since the game gives you a compass to find them, as well as doing a few quests.

2. Every 10 levels you can buy new armor at vendors in the respective expansions using "poetics" which is a currency you get from clearing dungeons and roulettes. They usually last you about 4-5 levels since they were the higher end gear we had to grind for back when those expansions were current. Again, not worth worrying about now since you can't buy them till you actually reach the respective vendors in each location.

3. Do your daily leveling roulettes. All your jobs benefit from them regardless of level. Primarily focus on whatever job you want to main.

4. See 1. But also there is MSQ stuff that becomes 8 man down the road

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If you are dork cop I guess would think that.

DRK's are best because cool darkness swords
GNB's Explody swords are also up there.

You know who wouldn't use an explody sword, a dork cop

Dark Knights are edge lords who think Shadow is cool.

Gunblades are "Whatever."

And Warriors? Talk about try hard's.

Paladins are simply the best.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

I absolutely love it. It's a crazy active class in terms of buttons per minute, and you get that amazingly satisfying crit/det 700 potency nuke every minute.

The only thing that I find disappointing is the turret now. 5 seconds of every cast are wasted, and the final 800 potency overdrive is basically an added heated shot in terms of damage and nothing spectacular, especially after the nukes I'm dropping 4 times a minute. I'm hoping whatever the pet scaling is goes up significantly with the queen

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knights are edge lords who think Shadow is cool.

Gunblades are "Whatever."

And Warriors? Talk about try hard's.

Paladins are simply the best.
Shadow said he was the coolest in SA2 and ain't never lie.
Gunblades are cool guys with explody swords, the only way they could get cooler is if the sword reved up.
Warriors, while basic do the thing they do so effectively demands respect. They axe, can't front on it.

But Paladins, omega dorks. Outhere with shields and shit with holy magic. Dorks

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow said he was the coolest in SA2 and ain't never lie.
Gunblades are cool guys with explody swords, the only way they could get cooler is if the sword reved up.
Warriors, while basic do the thing they do so effectively demands respect. They axe, can't front on it.

But Paladins, omega dorks. Outhere with shields and shit with holy magic. Dorks

True Paladins don't need shields for they use the very magics themselves to fashion them one when needed. And that holy magic? For which we draw a massive blade to tear the ground asunder?

I do believe we have someone here who simply can't understand our majesty.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
True Paladins don't need shields for they use the very magics themselves to fashion them one when needed. And that holy magic? For which we draw a massive blade to tear the ground asunder?

I do believe we have someone here who simply can't understand our majesty.
Oh look at you with your fancy magic shield. You know what DRK's use thier magic on, Darkness clones. A dork got magic makes himself a magic shield, meanwhile DRK's are outhere being noob saibot.

And DRK have cool swords all the time and they shoot darkness out and slash darkness and steal your life force. Ya'll don't know nothing about that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Is it me or the SSS DPS requirements are a bit high? 73 EX wants me to have 10.500 DPS as MNK and I can't hit it reliably. Is it really the minimum dps requirement? Seems way too high

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Is it me or the SSS DPS requirements are a bit high? 73 EX wants me to have 10.500 DPS as MNK and I can't hit it reliably. Is it really the minimum dps requirement? Seems way too high

Are you sure it isn't a rotational issue? I thought the same with BLM at freaking 11.7k then afterward I realized I wasn't using convert for single target as well as unoptimal use of let lines

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Someone in my FC said the MNK dummies were pretty busted and that sounds really high for EX dummies, considering I've cleared them with a lot of really meh DPS, the enrage is super lenient. Maybe the dummies were balanced at a different time and weren't adjusted back not sure. You definitely don't need 10.5k DPS to do Titania(although uptime is pretty good on it so you should be doing a fair bit of damage with raid buffs on).

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SSS dummies can be pretty weirdly tuned, I mostly just use them to practice my rotation and quickly reset my CDs.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Are you sure it isn't a rotational issue? I thought the same with BLM at freaking 11.7k then afterward I realized I wasn't using convert for single target as well as unoptimal use of let lines
I need to work out more on my opener and my little burst window when it comes to cooldowns but while I know I can reach it it's going to be tight. I can see myself reaching 10.8k dps at most.

WACCOE-1919

May 9, 2019
I've been running the training dummy for the EX trials on ilvl 433 gear on DRG but I always fail on the last hurdle, Dps wise I'm just hitting 10k, is this a gear issue or bad rotation play?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I've been running the training dummy for the EX trials on ilvl 433 gear on DRG but I always fail on the last hurdle, Dps wise I'm just hitting 10k, is this a gear issue or bad rotation play?

Optimization. There are things you could be doing better most likely. Like others have said, the dummies are tuned pretty high because they don't account for mechanics and expect you to hit every positional and not clip due to movement, etc.

If the difference is a few % before you fail, then it's likely nothing that eating good food or a pot won't fix and thus you shouldn't worry about.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I loved playing Paladin up until Stormblood and then the pressure just got the better of me. It's weird because I'd done plenty of raiding (all 3 tiers of Coil and some Alexander savage) up to then. DPS is relaxed for me tbh. The only thing that really hurts is when you actually die to a mechanic, which is something tanks rarely have to go through. Just get healed a lot.

Paladin is super fun though. You have so many ways to save people. You can DPS and help oversee the progress of the fight. Heal the healers, help heal other DPS, covering people for mechanics, etc.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Brutal Shell's only real comparison is Storm's Path and it beats Storm's Path as far as the type of effect goes; that and being split heal and shielding is kind of nice for streamlining damage taken.
I don't think I've ever seen the shield when I use Brutal Shell, lol. I've always taken damage enough to almost negate it. I get that it's only enough to do one hit MAYBE but it still feels like if you're going to give Warrior a big dick dps move where he kills a bunch and can (with the proper skill) get almost twice the health back and have a heal on command and then PLD has heal on command and DRK has "best mitigation" that if you're going to have GNB be the SCH of tanks with shields/mitigation versus heals/self heal I feel like Brutal Shell is a fine idea with a flawed execution that could use tweaking.

With Superbolide, Aurora, etc we have a kit that seems ideal for keeping up things on ourselves to mitigate damage and heal ourselves over time, sure, but the problem is every tank has a solution for a tank buster except GNB. Their shield is negligible, and every other tank pretty much has their defense cooldowns. Sure Aurora TECHNICALLY has the potency of Clemency but if you get hit by a buster and a healer isn't quick enough or your Aurora is already going or you pop it after good luck getting your HP up quickly. Meanwhile PLD just has to go "hold on let me just cast my crazy healing spell until the healer gets to it" and WAR can just hit things to heal itself. This defeats the idea (although I still play it this way) of upkeeping my cooldowns/shield inbetween my combos to be up in the face to make up for my lack of a good heal. If Brutal shell was a shield for how much damage done maybe.

With PLD having (so far) the same DPS potential with GNB maybe slightly edging it out, aside from aesthetics I understand why a lot of people don't think GNB is good enough for the hardest content. Its kit sounds great in theory, but there's some things that bug me:

1. Their one AOE shield/defense move is for magic defense, which is alright I guess, but is only 10% doesn't last long, and magic damage reduction versus a flat mitigation seems really odd. The AOE doesn't make up for the fact that PLD has like 3 uses for their guage in terms of defense like Shelltron or Warriors offense or DRK's TBN.
2. Heart of Stone is a 15% reduction on a short cooldown that you pretty much have to spam, and the brutal shell effect seems to not pay off much because especially if you're tanking, by the time you get brutal shell and pop Heart of stone your effect is gone already, unless I've been reading it wrong. Since the "effect" of brutal shell is negated so quickly in encounters, it seems like it hardly ever plays out how it should.
3. Superbolide only works when you're at the edge of death, and at that point I can only assume your healer is dead or unable to get to you. I'm not as down on it as other people, but it's still a flawed skill.

This also ignores that the big dps from the gnashing fang combo ignores the brutal shell, meaning that either you lose a cartridge via burst strike to get back to brutal shell, or do your combo and lose out on what tiny mitigation it gives you.

I feel like having cartridges be split between offensive and defensive moves would provide a better choice for the GNB in the moment to dps or shield. It would require more resource management as you go. If you've got two cartridges and an enemy is doing a big AOE or keeping you at range you can help mitigate damage with expenditure of cartridges or use it to "super charge" a cooldown. The Cartridge system and current DPS rotation entails more consistent and higher dps for a tank, sure, but the tradeoff means that there will always be "better" options, i.e. the PLD if we're looking at similar skillsets/kits.

That or I'd love to have more shielding from my combos or a flat shield in general. I feel like if everyone else can slap TBN or a big heal on themselves in seconds or at a moments notice, GNB is missing a shield equivalent to that, thus why I'd either like Brutal shell buffed or extended in effect to other moves somehow. If you give me something I have to keep using in my OGCD or something I have to keep switching to off my DPS every now and again it provides more buttons (which seems to be the GNB's MO) and also provide the active shielding method that would fit the class versus the slow take the hit motif of the DRK.

I know it wouldn't be til the next expansion and AST is in worse shape so there's other priorities, but a rework of the cartridge system to provide a reason to use them other than just spamming them when you have them would be cool, otherwise just give me just ONE shield skill (or provide me a more consistent way of helping with my shielding and keeping it up beyond a bad guy barely breathing in my direction) and I'll be golden.

Last edited:

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the SSS dummies are probably tuned for i440 weapon and gear. I had a second left on titania ex as war with i430 axe and only a couple i440 left sides. The rest were i430.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a healer.... Superbolide>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Living Dead
I get why, but answer me this: would you prefer to have to raise a Dark Knight from the dead and heal it up(and have to deal with rez sickness), or heal it to max from zero? Living Dead is a move born from necessity and not something Drks want or choose to use.

Oct 25, 2017
3. Superbolide only works when you're at the edge of death, and at that point I can only assume your healer is dead or unable to get to you. I'm not as down on it as other people, but it's still a flawed skill.

I think the problem in a lot of ways is people treating Superbolide as Worse Hallowed, instead of Better Holmgang. LD falls into the same trap, too--All three are best used by telling the healer they're coming so the healer can just ignore you pre-activation and not try to maintain HP stability. People treat tank invulns like oh shit buttons, when really they're most useful as preplanned spaces of not-healing. Hallowed is the autopilot one, LD is the one that suffers the most from the HP pool relative to heal strength shifting we saw in ShB and absolute worst as unplanned, Holm is the one that's the most annoying to get the most out of, and Superbolide is somewhere in the middle. It being closer to Holm justifies shaving off some of the CD, but I still think it's a great concept the game should be better at teaching players to use.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I get why, but answer me this: would you prefer to have to raise a Dark Knight from the dead and heal it up(and have to deal with rez sickness), or heal it to max from zero? Living Dead is a move born from necessity and not something Drks want or choose to use.
The problem is unless you have bene, there's a chance you both waste a bunch of heals trying to heal the DRK and then ALSO have to rez them. Shit sucks plain and simple, and it got even worse with the expansion indirectly, cause tanks now have 120k hp but a crit big heal is like 30k so you need to waste so much healing into it. Even recitation emegency adlo(which is 2 oGCDs and a hardcast heal mind you, so a shit ton of ressources) is only like 55-60k, so you also have to use like a lustrate and an excog to get close. Obviously there's a 2nd healer but the amount of heals you have to dump to get them back alive is so stupid. Meanwhile GNB you just cast some heals so they're at like 50% or whatever, and then just heal them over time normally like you would a tank that's at mid hp in the fight.

It's just a terrible cooldown. It should require 50% health at most to remove the debuff, or have another layer to it like damage mitigation or increased healing taken to compensate. As it is, Living Dead is virtually unusable if you don't have a WHM to bene, and that means that everytime you invuln, you also need the strongest WHM oGCD to be used. You can definitely heal through it, but not without sacrificing several oGCDs AND some GCD casts, which is just stupid. And god forbid the boss has strong autoattacks or the buster has some sort of dot to it(luckily they haven't really designed them like that) cause it makes it way harder, instead of 100%, you have to heal like 120 or 130% of their health.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think the problem in a lot of ways is people treating Superbolide as Worse Hallowed, instead of Better Holmgang. LD falls into the same trap, too--All three are best used by telling the healer they're coming so the healer can just ignore you pre-activation and not try to maintain HP stability. People treat tank invulns like oh shit buttons, when really they're most useful as preplanned spaces of not-healing. Hallowed is the autopilot one, LD is the one that suffers the most from the HP pool relative to heal strength shifting we saw in ShB and absolute worst as unplanned, Holm is the one that's the most annoying to get the most out of, and Superbolide is somewhere in the middle. It being closer to Holm justifies shaving off some of the CD, but I still think it's a great concept the game should be better at teaching players to use.
Right, but as I said I'm not as "down" on it as much as everyone else is.

I still think extending it's time a bit would go a long way to making it a better skill. It's low on my priorities though. Right now my beefs are with Brutal Shell/the concept of upkeeping mitigation versus using mitigation + self heals.

That + DRK's Souleater being better goes right back to GNB being fine in theory but there's all these "better" solutions to the GNB problems. For all of GNB's problems there seems to exist an answer in the other classes, which bums me out.

I'd love to be all about shielding/upkeep of my own defense buffs because not only would it play to the "active" playstyle, but shielding + Regen would work better than a 15% cooldown on some damage for a second and a regen. I'd be super cool with Regenning/Shielding, again being the SCH of the Tanks.

Superbolide being a one off shield or a shield for a small amount of time would be nice. I just want to be more proactive for my mitigation. Right now I just have to spam the one skill Heart of Stone. Which granted is on a shorter cooldown but still.

The best part is that the kit doesn't need a TON of tweaks. Just ONE more skill or tweaks to potency/effects it currently has and it'd be pretty perfect at its job. Which is saying a lot for a brand new class.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Superbolide is just better in every way. They both have essentially the same use as a invulnerability move, but LD is far more frustrating to deal with especially with how much god damn HP tanks have now. It's either be prepared and save you oGCDs for it, or spam Ben2/cure2/physik on it.

If it's a planned move you will be prepared for Superbolide as well, but a good GNB knows when to use it during a big pull and it's amazing there.

LD is just trash
The problem is unless you have bene, there's a chance you both waste a bunch of heals trying to heal the DRK and then ALSO have to rez them. Shit sucks plain and simple, and it got even worse with the expansion indirectly, cause tanks now have 120k hp but a crit big heal is like 30k so you need to waste so much healing into it. Even recitation emegency adlo(which is 2 oGCDs and a hardcast heal mind you, so a shit ton of ressources) is only like 55-60k, so you also have to use like a lustrate and an excog to get close. Obviously there's a 2nd healer but the amount of heals you have to dump to get them back alive is so stupid. Meanwhile GNB you just cast some heals so they're at like 50% or whatever, and then just heal them over time normally like you would a tank that's at mid hp in the fight.

It's just a terrible cooldown. It should require 50% health at most to remove the debuff, or have another layer to it like damage mitigation or increased healing taken to compensate. As it is, Living Dead is virtually unusable if you don't have a WHM to bene, and that means that everytime you invuln, you also need the strongest WHM oGCD to be used. You can definitely heal through it, but not without sacrificing several oGCDs AND some GCD casts, which is just stupid. And god forbid the boss has strong autoattacks or the buster has some sort of dot to it(luckily they haven't really designed them like that) cause it makes it way harder, instead of 100%, you have to heal like 120 or 130% of their health.
O11s tankbusters had a dot, but they were all magic and DRKs had so much magic mitigation so you never used LD anyways(and WARs could literally Holmgang every one besides the 2nd one.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Superbolide is just better in every way. They both have essentially the same use as a invulnerability move, but LD is far more frustrating to deal with especially with how much god damn HP tanks have now. It's either be prepared and save you oGCDs for it, or spam Ben2/cure2/physik on it.

If it's a planned move you will be prepared for Superbolide as well, but a good GNB knows when to use it during a big pull and it's amazing there.

LD is just trash
I think my main point is that they are totally different moves with a similar motif.

The idea is that Superbolide is a required mitigation move like Drk's Blackest Night, so it's a bit different. LD is a fallback ability that shouldn't need to be used if everything is going right. Superbolide is required use regardless, so yeah it's going to be the "better" move.

Call it trash if you want but I think you're more upset at the frustrating circumstances that require LD being used rather than having to work through the move itself. It's going to be used far less than Superbolide no matter what.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think my main point is that they are totally different moves with a similar motif.

The idea is that Superbolide is a required mitigation move like Drk's Blackest Night, so it's a bit different. LD is a fallback ability that shouldn't need to be used if everything is going right. Superbolide is required use regardless, so yeah it's going to be the "better" move.

Call it trash if you want but I think you're more upset at the frustrating circumstances that require LD being used rather than having to work through the move itself. It's going to be used far less than Superbolide no matter what.
But it's not even a good fall back ability when it takes 6 GCD heals to heal up to max, by which time, oh fuck dark is dead anyway.(yeah if you have cooldowns available you can get the dark up, but then it's not a fallback ability.)

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But it's not even a good fall back ability when it takes 6 GCD heals to heal up to max, by which time, oh fuck dark is dead anyway.(yeah if you have cooldowns available it is ok, but then it's not a fallback ability.)
It's not that I don't agree with you! I hate having to pop it as well.

Last thing I'll say on it though, is that if the healers are down but the trial boss's HP is low, 10 seconds of final DPS can be huuuuuge. Just the other day I successfully popped it at the end of a trial where the healers were dead and in my zombified state, the DPS and I were able to finish the trial before I croaked. So it has a last-ditch-effort dynamic to it as well, which gives it a whole extra dimension imo.

Oct 25, 2017

But out of all the tank invulns, LD is far and away the one that benefits the most from only being used when things are going right--if it's only getting used when things are tight and the healers are struggling, it puts the healers in the awkward situation of either continuing to keep up so LD never activates or stop healing, let LD pop, and then deal with the time crunch that creates.

Basically, all of the tank invulns work best when scheduled out, but if not scheduled out LD is by far the worst one to have to deal with. Setting aside that it's something dumb like 4k healing potency or whatever to not have it nuke your tank, LD is incredibly healer-hostile in that it mandates full heal, but full healing also kills the invuln, so you're basically forced to 'waste' some of the invuln period if you're not a WHM since you have to be healing assuming you get no crits but then a lucky crit can drop the immune a GCD earlier.

Realistically LD/Hallowed/Superbolide all end up fitting roughly the same niche and being used for roughly the same things. There are spots they'll be scheduled for in any content that really involves making good use of skills (solo soaking split busters, the tether shenanigans in Titania EX, whatever) and they'll be set up pretty interchangeably.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
re: LD vs Superoblide, I feel like the breakdown will come between environments? Like, speedrun vs just clearing vs PF vs DF vs whatever. The issue with LD (and to an extent now Holmgang) is the amount of healing needed to throw at it and how that fits in all the above categories. Holmgang gets a pass as you can use it and just tank swap and ignore the healing requirement but LD is a required soak of healing. It being used as an actual "oh shit" button is pretty rare and tends to make situations worse due to the healing needed to offset it rather than it being used as the longest invuln, though with a healing requirement in the latter half.

Basically, from my perspective all four invulns are used for the same reason so it's mostly a ranking in terms of uptime and GCDs cost to utilize them. If you're exclusively looking at DF/PF situations, the evaluation is far different.

I don't think I've ever seen the shield when I use Brutal Shell, lol. I've always taken damage enough to almost negate it. I get that it's only enough to do one hit MAYBE but it still feels like if you're going to give Warrior a big dick dps move where he kills a bunch and can (with the proper skill) get almost twice the health back and have a heal on command and then PLD has heal on command and DRK has "best mitigation" that if you're going to have GNB be the SCH of tanks with shields/mitigation versus heals/self heal I feel like Brutal Shell is a fine idea with a flawed execution that could use tweaking.

It's 300 potency in total EHP; 150 potency in the heal, 150 potency in the shield (or, rather, 150 potency heal and then repeat that in shielding). Comparing it to things like Equilibrium / Nascent Flash or Clemency or The Blackest Night is inherently flawed as that's not an equal power budget comparison, really? Warrior has the best self-sustain though at the expense of their low CD mitigation (and it needs to be tied to Infuriate charges or IR for it to actually make a difference), Clemency is an essentially "never use" in optimal situations, and The Blackest Night is the Blackest Night.

I will note I forgot Souleater is now always that 300 potency heal which makes it roughly equivalent to GNB's Brutal Shell, though I'd still rather have the heal/shield split in terms of how that works vs incoming auto attacks but that's kind of semantics.

With Superbolide, Aurora, etc we have a kit that seems ideal for keeping up things on ourselves to mitigate damage and heal ourselves over time, sure, but the problem is every tank has a solution for a tank buster except GNB.

I'm not sure I'm following this. GNB has the same defensive tools as every other tank. Tankbusters are always the least concerning thing for tanks when we start going into optimization. They're the planned heal moments, saved oGCDs for it, etc. What kills tanks in optimization is auto attack incoming damage and that's what Brutal Shell is for. It's not there for busters (outside of OT HoS). Having an extra 10% + ~50% chance of Parry is a pretty good stopgap solution for auto attack mitigation alongside Aurora + Brutal Shell as well as far as wanting to compare it to why WAR still has Thrill+Conva.

1. Their one AOE shield/defense move is for magic defense, which is alright I guess, but is only 10% doesn't last long, and magic damage reduction versus a flat mitigation seems really odd. The AOE doesn't make up for the fact that PLD has like 3 uses for their guage in terms of defense like Shelltron or Warriors offense or DRK's TBN.

It is kind of annoying they made it Magic only but, at the same time, historically (nearly) every AoE has been magic so it's less of a problem in reality. Content design will dictate the latter bonus but Passage being higher value but longer cooldown is a net negative, not a positive, if it follows with other design. Plus Passage is a loss of GCDs if there's ever any back-to-back damage that you can't just snapshot. Though we're getting super optimized then. As far as Shelltron and Intervention, though, they do fight for meter and with Cover nerfed that is kind of going to take a backseat as far as meter goes. And I'm not sure why HoL is being compared to their meter moves anyway?

2. Heart of Stone is a 15% reduction on a short cooldown that you pretty much have to spam, and the brutal shell effect seems to not pay off much because especially if you're tanking, by the time you get brutal shell and pop Heart of stone your effect is gone already, unless I've been reading it wrong. Since the "effect" of brutal shell is negated so quickly in encounters, it seems like it hardly ever plays out how it should.

I'm not sure why you think you have to spam Heart of Stone constantly? Or, rather, that every other tank isn't also supposed to be riding their low cooldown tank buttons in a similar vein. Like, all the tanks are literally equivalent when it comes to throwing them into things for taking damage. There's no variety in their regular cooldowns so it's the difference in their 25s buttons.

I feel like having cartridges be split between offensive and defensive moves would provide a better choice for the GNB in the moment to dps or shield.

This was never going to happen as the entire purpose of the Shadowbringers tank "rework" was to remove the player ever having this choice.

Like, everything is shaking up (down?) as PLD/GNB as the two meta tanks simply because top DPS of the tanks. I'm not sure I'm following the rhetoric where they're vastly inferior in terms of actually tanking damage? They have a relatively smooth damage intake curve re: Auto Attacks thanks to Brutal Shell / Aurora / Camouflage. They have the same cooldowns as far as busters go within a few percent. They have one of the better OT buttons in Brutal Shell'd HoS. Superoblide usefulness will come down to fight design and how many mechanics we're trying to cheese in any given encounter.

Edit: Strictly speaking for tanking bosses and the like. Dungeons I'm still never going to be convinced anything beats WAR for dungeons for how much freedom it gives healers again on big pulls.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not that I don't agree with you! I hate having to pop it as well.

Last thing I'll say on it though, is that if the healers are down but the trial boss's HP is low, 10 seconds of final DPS can be huuuuuge. Just the other day I successfully popped it at the end of a trial where the healers were dead and in my zombified state, the DPS and I were able to finish the trial before I croaked. So it has a last-ditch-effort dynamic to it as well, which gives it a whole extra dimension imo.
Yeah it can be used like that, but that is a very niche extra use, and you can do the same thing with the other invulnerability abilities

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Started levelling AST. Lord giveth me strength. I hate everything about the class I've mained for almost 4 years. Thanks, SE.

Also I swear to god the next tank who pulls wall to wall without so much as using rampart isn't getting a single heal from me. I almost tore my hair out at some of the quite frankly, asshole tanks I was running into during the 71 dungeon yesterday. It's annoying enough trying to adjust to these job changes without dealing with that kinda stuff too.

Oct 25, 2017
I've decided to level AST basically exclusively via Main Scenario Roulette. I'm so busy marveling for the nth time how badly designed Prae and Castrum are as MMO content I forgot to be filled with WTF at the job.

It'll get to 80 eventually. Probably.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay just did the Keeper of the Lake dungeon and holy fuck

What a fantastic dungeon and boss fight and the story is getting so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.