• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
I would like to personally find and slap whoever popularized DPS South in Titania EX. It's like they had two options and went "which can fuck melee uptime during adds? WE GONNA DO THAT!"

Like literally this was something people were inflexible on less than 72 hours into early access and if you formed a DPS north group they'd complain.
It's DPS in from O9s all over again
I suggested DPS north and got a bunch of HELL NOs lol. I guess they don't wanna mess up the tank position or something? I'm not even DPS, I'm healer. I was just looking out for the melee folks.
When you're forced to get the southeast corner as a melee cuz of tethers/vines you're really suffering as a melee.

I like y'all.

By the time I finished leveling on MONDAY after expac launch, pugs were already stuck dps south. I really wish the community was more flexible when it came to pug strats. Titania is a great example, because dps south is already awful, but in a few weeks of gear the north add will always be dying before the knockback, so dps west will become the best strat. Instead, melee players will be stuck standing there forever based on a 50/50 shot.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got myself a static for the first time since like late 2.0 (or mid 3.0) and pretty excited. Banging my head against the wall of pugs to farm primals was no-fun at all ho boy.

Crown was pretty easy overall I just wish there weren't as many like, cascading failure scenarios.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been doing Titania Ex last couple of nights, although only attempted like 15 times maybe because of parties disbanding, generally PF fuckery. Been MT'ing it and it's really fun. However, I frost rune just seems a crap shoot. Probs because I didn't do Shiva when it was current to really learn the mechanic. I think my problem was with everything going on I couldn't actually see how big the middle AOE was, so in my head I was doing the mechanic correctly, with the right timing but I'm getting hit by the middle one because I'm not far enough out.

Anyway though, I've seen some people saying that actually, just stack in the middle and swallow one AOE as everyone can keep DPS up time on her. And that the 1 vuln debuff is no big deal. Definitely want to try that next time.

Every farm group I've done in the past week has just done a stack in the center for frost rune. Way better DPS, and everyone is stacked together to drop a heal on anyways.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you just want to be a DPS with better queue times...
I mained melee DPS for 4 years and no way was it relaxing and easy.

I like how OT works. You partake in some of the mechanics with MT and you can take over if the MT dies. What I don't enjoy doing is tanking an entire fight from start to finish. It obviously won't always work that way but so far I've had a lot of fun playing that way in Shadowbringers.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
When the PLD with 2k DPS tells me "I thought this was a farm party?" and "the dps is mediocre" when I'm putting everything into maintaining 11k

gipsgfsdfhye0kfu.gif

Jan 4, 2018
Finally hit a level locked MSQ barrier just short of Lvl. 30. Going to finally hit Bard class quest today and try to make a further dent in the MSQ.

Progress has been slower than expected. Only managing a couple of levels a day now but I have a friend who's helping me keep the ball rolling so that helps.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Oh my... another group called "practice" where the leader starts complaining after wipe #2 and then disbands after telling everyone "this group won't do, learn strat first". Rofl

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
My "first timers welcome practice run" for Innocence got to the the enrage on the first pull which was kind of impressive, and the leader started complaining that we hadn't yet cleared by pull #3 and that DPS was too low (no shit dude, I rezzed at least 9 people and this party has 3 dancers). We still ended up clearing. It's an incredibly easy, forgiving fight.

Oct 25, 2017
I like y'all.

By the time I finished leveling on MONDAY after expac launch, pugs were already stuck dps south. I really wish the community was more flexible when it came to pug strats. Titania is a great example, because dps south is already awful, but in a few weeks of gear the north add will always be dying before the knockback, so dps west will become the best strat. Instead, melee players will be stuck standing there forever based on a 50/50 shot.

Out of curiosity I pulled up the Mizzteq vid and she does indeed say to have tanks/healers north for vines, then doubles down on it during adds. PF was being dumb before the video hit, but I assume it's just now enshrined in everyone's consciousness as the Best Way because it was in a guide.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Out of curiosity I pulled up the Mizzteq vid and she does indeed say to have tanks/healers north for vines, then doubles down on it during adds. PF was being dumb before the video hit, but I assume it's just now enshrined in everyone's consciousness as the Best Way because it was in a guide.
There was a guide released a bunch earlier than her that has this positions I think, and every main streamer cleared after that was released, so they most likely used that. It was like a day 2 guide or whatever with a guy with an accent.

It is pretty dumb and it's so "obvious" now people don't even have the tank/heals north dps south in macros, so trying to change it would be pretty pointless I guess. It's not that bad if melees have to go left on the push tethers since you can still attack the left add, but otherwise it's basically 6-8secs of no damage.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been doing Titania Ex last couple of nights, although only attempted like 15 times maybe because of parties disbanding, generally PF fuckery. Been MT'ing it and it's really fun. However, I frost rune just seems a crap shoot. Probs because I didn't do Shiva when it was current to really learn the mechanic. I think my problem was with everything going on I couldn't actually see how big the middle AOE was, so in my head I was doing the mechanic correctly, with the right timing but I'm getting hit by the middle one because I'm not far enough out.

Anyway though, I've seen some people saying that actually, just stack in the middle and swallow one AOE as everyone can keep DPS up time on her. And that the 1 vuln debuff is no big deal. Definitely want to try that next time.
Every farm group I've done in the past week has just done a stack in the center for frost rune. Way better DPS, and everyone is stacked together to drop a heal on anyways.
I'm going to have to try this, also been MTing the fight and Shiva is the only mechanic I still struggle with. Sometimes it just feels like I get screwed on it's positions if I'm too far.

Based on the ongoing conversation maybe I'll also suggest DPS go north.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to try this, also been MTing the fight and Shiva is the only mechanic I still struggle with. Sometimes it just feels like I get screwed on it's positions if I'm too far.

Based on the ongoing conversation maybe I'll also suggest DPS go north.

shiva is only paired with a normal raid wide nuke afterwards, and one vuln stack doesn't put anyone in danger. The raid damage outside of the add phase is low enough that vuln's aren't that dangerous. The 'hard' mechanics just kill you outright if you fuck up (thunder rune etc)

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
shiva is only paired with a normal raid wide nuke afterwards, and one vuln stack doesn't put anyone in danger. The raid damage outside of the add phase is low enough that vuln's aren't that dangerous. The 'hard' mechanics just kill you outright if you fuck up (thunder rune etc)
Yeah we even had some deaths because of bad ice placements and people couldn't adjust, which lead to wipes. It's probably not worth risking a run just to avoid the stacks. Plus the extra DPS really helps

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
it sucks if you're trying to parse good in titania but if you just setup a parse specific party with dps north tanks/healers south people shouldn't complain, but if you're trying to farm for mounts/weapons consistency is probably better than changing the way everyone does it if they suck at adjusting which is basically the state of pf. it sucks but /shrug

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I don't mess around with farm groups and mostly just join random clears and do WTF ever they want because I'm usually there to have them perpetually confuse me and throw me off balance.

There was a guide released a bunch earlier than her that has this positions I think, and every main streamer cleared after that was released, so they most likely used that. It was like a day 2 guide or whatever with a guy with an accent.

It is pretty dumb and it's so "obvious" now people don't even have the tank/heals north dps south in macros, so trying to change it would be pretty pointless I guess. It's not that bad if melees have to go left on the push tethers since you can still attack the left add, but otherwise it's basically 6-8secs of no damage.

Probably the Fox guide? Pf was already being dumb before his came out (I had and lost the 'can't we just do tanks/healers south' argument in a clear group I think around the time his guide was hitting), but it's sort of an interesting case study in how bad XIV's guide community can be since the evolution is people develop a bad strat, early guide makers come out with guides that don't improve on the bad PF strat, it's cemented in perpetuity because everyone already does it, Mizzteq releases a later guide that doesn't benefit at all from the delay since it's still pushing the initial bad strat.

It makes me happy when I stumble on some group struggling for the clear that has started sending their DPS north on vines because they figured out it could help them during adds largely because it's nice to see people thinking about what they're doing instead of just grinding whatever YouTube said.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hey all, I have a quick question and apologies if its been addressed countless times, I didn't notice it in the FAQ. Being back in City of Heroes has made me long for a good old MMO and I've found that I've bored of the "MMO lite" live console games, Destiny, Division and the like.

I'm considering jumping into FFXIV (again). I had a PS3 copy of ARR which was upgraded to PS4 whenever so I've played (and linked my accounts) way back when but only to a fairly low level and not for years. My question is, it seems I can only buy a "complete package" version of the game from PS store which would get me back up to date, but it says the game time contained therein is only for new accounts, anyone know if this is the case before I get it?
Also considering I'd probably start from scratch is there another option for getting back into the game I'm not seeing, I understand that accounts can't be unlinked from a PS4 so I'd have to make a fresh account to use the free trial and get any "new player" things?

Thanks all :)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I have a quick question and apologies if its been addressed countless times, I didn't notice it in the FAQ. Being back in City of Heroes has made me long for a good old MMO and I've found that I've bored of the "MMO lite" live console games, Destiny, Division and the like.

I'm considering jumping into FFXIV (again). I had a PS3 copy of ARR which was upgraded to PS4 whenever so I've played (and linked my accounts) way back when but only to a fairly low level and not for years. My question is, it seems I can only buy a "complete package" version of the game from PS store which would get me back up to date, but it says the game time contained therein is only for new accounts, anyone know if this is the case before I get it?
Also considering I'd probably start from scratch is there another option for getting back into the game I'm not seeing, I understand that accounts can't be unlinked from a PS4 so I'd have to make a fresh account to use the free trial and get any "new player" things?

It is only for new accounts.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Ok now that I have achieved OMNI-HEALER status(all 3 maxed) I have changed my mind, slightly, about AST.

White Mage is still my favorite healer to play of this expansion. I enjoy how honestly simple they are to use. You don't really have to think about a lot.

Scholar is second. I still don't like the pet changes but I've mostly gotten over them. Felt odd to use at first but I've gotten used to the changes and love the critical heal skill.

AST is still last place, but not a distant last place. AST from 50 to 73 feels bad, straight up. However after acquiring the last few healing skills I've come around on AST. The card changes were still a mistake in my book but I understand them because of other changes to the battle system in the game. Horoscope and Neutral Sect go a nice way to making up for AST's healing potency issues and they feel great to use. I wish Essential Dignity had 3 charges instead of just 2 but w/e. AST personal dps be trash is fine because they are a healer and they're cards make up for that because if you're dpsing and not using your cards the instant you can on party members, why are you fucking playing AST?

Yoshi please lower the cooldowns on Divination and Celestial Opposition.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Had a few good Innocence Ex groups. I always fear that I'll get the tether when the fan thingy on the floor appears. I never know where to run lol.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man, i am only now really discovering the mod community for ff 14. some sick ass hair styles and body mods out there

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's not the same, but I only recently started using a shader and now I'm kicking myself for not getting one immediately. It looks soooo much better.
first things i got was that cute panda style hair, high res hair and face textures in general and the materia UI mod. looks so much slicker now

James Kovalski don't worry, curvier bodies has already been installed! contemplating on if i should get that decapitated lalafell head model as a mount tho

96ad189c-4391-4989-832a-484d26561bd9.jpg

Last edited:

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Now that the expansion has been out for a while, how do people feel about Dancer? I've been thinking of picking up a ranged DPS, but I'm worried their super simple rotation will get boring quickly.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to personally find and slap whoever popularized DPS South in Titania EX. It's like they had two options and went "which can fuck melee uptime during adds? WE GONNA DO THAT!"

Like literally this was something people were inflexible on less than 72 hours into early access and if you formed a DPS north group they'd complain.
NA PF is required by law to pick the shittiest strats possible as the norm, sorry.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the expansion has been out for a while, how do people feel about Dancer? I've been thinking of picking up a ranged DPS, but I'm worried their super simple rotation will get boring quickly.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Your base rotation is incredibly simple, but your burst phase has lots of fast paced decision making to fit in all your procs and try to get the most damage out of it.

It can feel a bit bad when you're on a bad RNG streak though since you're literally just hitting two buttons.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
It's more than 5 seconds and it fucks me up for my rotations as MNK because I already used anatman :/
It's not much more than 5secs, and it's certainly less than the 15 you have before GL drops. Just SSS before you go to your spot if you feel you need to, and keep one stack of Tackle to get back then, while you form switch while doing nothing else, but honestly it's nowhere that bad.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I am suprised how long this thread has stayed on the front page, though after savage (2 weeks from now), wont be much to talk about til the neir raid in September with 5.1.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you lose 5 seconds of dps for dps south? those 5 seconds isnt going to mean the difference between wipe or clear.

And the dropped GCDs are totally worth the gain in ______

Like I don't think that at this point people are disputing you have to do DPS south in PF because change is scary and thinking about uptime reeks of elitism, but it's still an odd thing to have risen to prominence so rapidly because it's got a measurable downside with no corresponding measurable upside.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017

Like I don't think that at this point people are disputing you have to do DPS south in PF because change is scary and thinking about uptime reeks of elitism, but it's still an odd thing to have risen to prominence so rapidly because it's got a measurable downside with no corresponding measurable upside.
I agree, I think it comes from the dps spending most of their time on south anyways, but yes dps north would be more optimal, but pf has never been about optimal strats.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

Well the strategy was definitely made without thinking about the add phase, tanks and healers go together, MT is north, so might as well put all of them north. Then they didn't adjust for add phase, maybe because the origin had no melee DPS or melee DPS who can keep semi decent uptime(ninja casting a raiton then kassatsu while sliding and readying hyoton). That or maybe they thought the tanks needed to stay close to the big adds? I gotta admit I wasn't sure if I could run around myself and just attack whatever, but it seemed fine when I tried, the add didn't decide to slap someone close or whatever.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just buy shadowbringers if you already own ARR and that will bring you up to date (ShB includes HW and SB)

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And 65! Getting there. To celebrate I spent nearly all my gold on a new outfit, I think I look super cute!

3fdElb8.jpg

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I have a weird question. Has anyone else noticed a shoebill stalking them pretty much the whole shadowbringers expansion? I have noticed one in every telescope mission and even standing around during missions, you can interact with it while its just chilling during a few MSQ

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I have a weird question. Has anyone else noticed a shoebill stalking them pretty much the whole shadowbringers expansion? I have noticed one in every telescope mission and even standing around during missions, you can interact with it while its just chilling during a few MSQ

Yep. Seems to be a bit of a running joke lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.