• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Saw quite a lot of Titania EX parties up on the PF that had excluded NIN, as well as locked off having 2 DNCs. Stupid, but saw a lot of it.
It's not stupid. If people don't want NIN they don't have to take them. Not wanting more than one DNC isn't stupid either, as it's way harder to play around having two. Not really that different from wanting split tanks or healers.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the replies. Gonna give the free trial a go, see if I can get into it. Haven't played an MMO for some time, but hear a lot of good things about this.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
As others have said play what you have the most fun with!
I'm a SCH main, and it's a blast to play at max level.

Looking over the high level guides it does sound like a lot of fun. Low levels are kind of autopilot though, with the pet being able to do most of the healing during duties and only having a few attack spells.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
YO the level 80 DRG armor's " Tail " wraps around my au ra's like armor and moves with it, that's sick

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not stupid. If people don't want NIN they don't have to take them. Not wanting more than one DNC isn't stupid either, as it's way harder to play around having two. Not really that different from wanting split tanks or healers.
I was referring to excluding NIN for their party, not the 2 DNC thing. That would be a serious DPS drop off, but if you can't make the DPS check with a NIN in the party, the rest of the party is likely the problem there, not the NIN.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
A question for the healers. Do you like being warned about Superbolide when you have a GNB? It doesn't have the 100% healed requirement that Living Dead has but I know it can shock people.

YO the level 80 DRG armor's " Tail " wraps around my au ra's like armor and moves with it, that's sick
I think I heard it does the same with all the tails. It's a nice touch.

Tail Armor >> Horse Armor

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to excluding NIN for their party, not the 2 DNC thing. That would be a serious DPS drop off, but if you can't make the DPS check with a NIN in the party, the rest of the party is likely the problem there, not the NIN.
It's not about hitting the check or not, but if the game isn't balanced it isn't up to the playerbase to deal with suboptimal jobs just to be nice, and faster is always better.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about hitting the check or not, but if the game isn't balanced it isn't up to the playerbase to deal with suboptimal jobs just to be nice, and faster is always better.

Wouldn't a good NIN be better than a bad SAM? That line of thinking is just idiotic on content it dosn't need that level of elitism.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You are still level 36. You haven't got songs, procs, ogcds, and iron jaw. At higher level BRD is one of tthe most active jobs with a lot of things going on that you have to pay attention.

Below is job ranking according to their action per minute.

1563164860040.png
So I'm looking at this chart, and apparently I've been accidentally picking almost all high APM DPS classes and it really sucks as sometimes I want something a little slower to play. :( I started with SMN, moved to MCH, then BRD, and was gonna try SAM next... LOL... At least I saw this chart now so I can try either DNC or DRG probably.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would someone mind sharing this apparent massive canyon gap of DPS that ninja has right now that would make it unviable for an EX story trial?

For real though, I haven't seen the numbers yet, I'm assuming their is a chart or something?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Excluding roles in Titania? TITANIA??
PF is dumb

Would someone mind sharing this apparent massive canyon gap of DPS that ninja has right now that would make it unviable for an EX story trial?

For real though, I haven't seen the numbers yet, I'm assuming their is a chart or something?

NIN is viable for everything currently in game though, this is just idiots in PF wanting meta because they think meta will carry them.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ptolemaios
A question for the healers. Do you like being warned about Superbolide when you have a GNB? It doesn't have the 100% healed requirement that Living Dead has but I know it can shock people.

I think I heard it does the same with all the tails. It's a nice touch.

Tail Armor >> Horse Armor
I love when tanks tell me they're going to invuln ahead of time. It allows me to not waste good ogcds

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Reminder that the PF UI is a piece of shit and if you had say a Dancer who left, when you put the PF back up, unless you specifically adjust the slot again, it'll say DNC only. Well that or if they leave right away I forgot what bugs it, but anyway it's not uncommon for slots to make no sense because of this, and could just be ppl kicking bad DNC but not changing the PF.

Oct 25, 2017
Role exclusions in EX Primal PFs because Muh DPS CHECK!!! are as silly now as they were back when people were chicken littleing that two ranged made Bismarck EX impossible. People can form whatever parties they want, but if you're seeing enrage on anything right now it's got nothing to do with the jobs people picked to show up on and everything to do with the people who showed up.

Part of the Shadowbringers changes were supposed to get rid of PF etc slavishly following whatever meta the top-end set, but it's probably going to be more violently exaggerated now as people latch on to small nuggets of information and try too make them the end-all be-all. Ninjas are still in five of the top ten fastest Titania EX clears; Innocence they don't show up until 16th, but that points more towards where fight design will yoyo their contribution than MUH ENRAGE THO or anything that a farm PF needs to super stress over.

FFLogs finalizing rDPS is going to be an absolute nightmare the way people will misuse that information, and I cannot wait.

Absolutely let the healer know before you pop it, because there is nothing more frustrating that bursting out heals on a GNB to get them near topped only to watch them SB back to 1 because they pushed the button before heals landed. Superbolide's great, but it does have the capacity to completely wipe out any work the healer just did if you surprise 'em with it.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely let the healer know before you pop it, because there is nothing more frustrating that bursting out heals on a GNB to get them near topped only to watch them SB back to 1 because they pushed the button before heals landed. Superbolide's great, but it does have the capacity to completely wipe out any work the healer just did if you surprise 'em with it.

Idk, I think GNB using superbolide and then a macro to click off invincibility is slightly more frustrating.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well people can do what they want in their statics, but having a Nina isn't really going to make a difference so why be a dick and exclude when they're perfectly capable of clearing it.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Surprisingly I dont think I've seen a GNB use this on my dungeon and trial runs so far, but sounds like a good idea to give a heads up based on what I understand of it. Something like Benediction for example sounds like its better served being used after Superbolide rather than right before, and getting a heads up helps to make those healing adjustments. At least that's what I'd think without having actually seen it used yet.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I'd love them to design an encounter where healers really need to focus on healing. Make it about survival and not just a simple DPS check.
Don't get me wrong. I love DPSing as a WHM but I'd love to see some variety in the encounter design sometimes.
Same.
Everything comes down to a DPS check.
Sure, they add lil flavor mechanics here and there for tanks (Like "OH, the 2nd on the aggro list gets targeted for a super big cone AOE! OT better stay above the DPS in aggro and better position that away from the party!" or "OH! THIS tank buster requires 2 tanks eat it!") But much of the complexity they give tanks is just annoying ass tank swaps and that's it.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't a good NIN be better than a bad SAM? That line of thinking is just idiotic on content it dosn't need that level of elitism.
Yes, and this logic also still applied to when ninja wasn't as far behind the other melee DPS as they are now if a raid leader wanted someone to switch from x job to ninja. They'd be better as x job they'd been playing versus switching to ninja for trick attack and the threat management skills during HW and Stormblood.

Also no idea how job viability will shake out when we have 5.05 changes on the way and Savage isn't even out yet, there's no hard dps checks in the game right now. (unless we get into how df often struggles to kill the adds in time on Titania and Innocence's normal difficulties)

scy

Oct 25, 2017

@75th for Titania
5efb16084fb7daa504213b1bef660496.png

Things of note: This is factoring raid buff contributions in the final number but not attributing those damage sources to the targets. So most the top end lose a few percent of DPS and the bottom end go up a few percent as well. Put into actual terms, non-pad targets lose around ~200-300 DPS (800-1500+ for tether+partner) because Ninja+Dancer while Ninja is roughly adding around ~1.3% to rDPS (~800 DPS currently) and Dancer is adding around ~1.6% (~1000 DPS) if it helps visualize where the bottom end slots.

Put another way, here's a random clear of Titania I have. DPS is on the left, current rDPS calc (subtracts buffs on you, adds buffs to source) is on the right:
a1f2962fcbaf88bb9b6690cda39b0927.png

obligatory BLM had tether + partner. Percentiles are spread out so this isn't to compare DPS to DPS so much as a glimpse at what rDPS contribution adjusts things to.

Nothing about EX Primals (or Savage, for that matter) really promotes "Hey, this job is THIS BAD" because it's really not the case.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
FFXIV is the first game I've enjoyed healing and stuck with it. My WHM just hit 74. Blood for the blood lily! It's been a ton of fun.

However, the second I hit 73, the quality of dungeon teams fell off a cliff. Every tank is the same clown who pulls every single enemy until the next boss, refuses to stand in asylum, and also never pops a single cool down the entire dungeon. Dps just stands in every aoe, ignores all mechanics, and does miserable damage.

I have an 80 DRK and 80 DRG so I've done all the Shadowbringers content a ton, but I don't remember people being so fucking terrible at the game while doing it. Maybe I've just hit a particularly weird run of groups but it's been exhausting and genuinely frustrating trying to keep these people upright.

I think a lot of people purchased the level 70 skip and don't know a damn thing about how to play their class or even the MMO basics that this game goes out its way to explain.

The amount of people that fail to check stack markers or healers that focus more on damage than healing is staggering right now.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I've always found that healers who say "my role says healer, so I'm not gonna prioritize DPS" to be players that are making excuses for their bad play.

It was very telling when my very first endgame pull as WHM I hit mid 80's pct and I was very bad (like 22 cpm bad). I'm still not good and hit orange with only 25 cpm. Too many healers are just bad at this game.
I've found my experience to be similar to yours. I was able to pull a 96 on Innocence earlier without too much trouble. Most healers in this game are too concerned with using raw heals to top everyone off immediately, if there's even a sliver of health gone they will be sure to top you off.

This is so inefficient and it pisses me off when I see it happen. Why not utilize the regens on the field, or focus on healing people who actually are requiring it (tank buster, spread markers, etc) rather than topping people off immediately when no more raidwides will be coming. Just the mentality of some of the people playing these roles are crazy sometimes.

Even leveling my alt character through the story I was getting frustrated watching healers who seemingly dont understand the class or role as it exists within FFXIV.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Team composition only really trully matters for Savage and Ultimate. Purely because that's content where you get players with somewhat consistent skill level. Anything below and you are tapping into a player pool with skill levels so unpreditable, I'd imagine team composition would be comparatively neglible.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So it just hit me the other day, in the next expansion unless things change, the new jobs won't have any story to them beyond an initial unlock quest here is your weapon, the end.

I really hope they roll back on this and job quests come back next expansion. Especially crafting/gathering job quests. Since they don't even get a short 5 min lvl.80 quest wrapping up previous plotlines like the battle jobs do.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, talking of healers and DPSing, just did my Titan Eden for the week. Queued as a DRK with my friend who's SCH for this. There's a WHM who gets knocked off the platform and then when res'd immediately presses a button and dies in and AOE. The run wipes and the WHM is going mental asking why I was in stance for parts of the fight, I was like..there's a tank swap. Then proceeds to blame it all on our SCH because 'she was only healing, not DPSing enough' like that is relevant to anything. Then they continue dying, continue being toxic and don't roll on anything until the last second, making us wait the full 5+ minutes for our loot. Then said that they doing Savage raids and that we should go back to WoW.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
So it just hit me the other day, in the next expansion unless things change, the new jobs won't have any story to them beyond an initial unlock quest here is your weapon, the end.

I really hope they roll back on this and job quests come back next expansion. Especially crafting/gathering job quests. Since they don't even get a short 5 min lvl.80 quest wrapping up previous plotlines like the battle jobs do.

I assume they'll bring back job quests in 6.0. It doesn't really make sense to have them in 5.0. You're in one world and the quest givers are in another.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Well people can do what they want in their statics, but having a Nina isn't really going to make a difference so why be a dick and exclude when they're perfectly capable of clearing it.
They can also do whatever they want in party finder. Nobody is locked to one job. What's even the point of pretending the average NIN player is just as good of a choice when the job is harder to play than stuff like SAM?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I assume they'll bring back job quests in 6.0. It doesn't really make sense to have them in 5.0. You're in one world and the quest givers are in another.
They could simply have had trainers in the First. Some breadcrumb quest from current trainer to the First and go. Same way they did many of the HW Ishgard quests. Like "Oh Pyros you're such a great Monk, I don't have much left to teach you, you should find another master that practices another school of combat to improve even further" > Go to Crystarium and investigate to see if anyone knows of a cool Monk > random Hume "Oh yeah I've heard the legends of some hermit living on that Lakeland island thing" > new quests start. Some might be a rough fit, but most would work pretty decently. If it's a problem, just "something something the job stone calls to you, you sense something coming from the First".

Main annoyance for me was that the 80 quests were REALLY lazy. Like they didn't put an ounce of effort into them. The Dancer one was cool because of how it's done, but the others I've done have been all sorts of terrible. Also in a bunch you just kinda drop the whole "yeah btw I was in another world" and everyone's like *shrug* cool story bro. Like hello, it was another world?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can also do whatever they want in party finder. Nobody is locked to one job. What's even the point of pretending the average NIN player is just as good of a choice when the job is harder to play than stuff like SAM?
What's the point in caring about a tiny % in DPS when you're not a bleeding edge raider. Like, the meta doesn't apply to 99% of the playerbase.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SMH not sure why the Exarch bothered with all this magic business when truck-kun is the tried and true proven method

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point in caring about a tiny % in DPS when you're not a bleeding edge raider. Like, the meta doesn't apply to 99% of the playerbase.
If you're making the party there's zero reason to opt for something worse, and the difference isn't intangible. The averages impact the broader playerbase. It's not like nothing can be done on NIN but why bring it if you don't have to? A lack of hard DPS checks doesn't elevate underperformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.