• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ok so Levelling, Alliance Raid, and MSQ are the top 3? Thanks, I have a lv 71 main but im still on post HW so it's hard to gain much exp, alt does that content for me, and main is relagated to Daily Roulettes
If you're lvl 71 and you would only do the three roulettes mentioned above, you would basically get a level a day just from that.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Finished SB. I am in the minority who didnt like it and who enjoyed Stormblood more. Completely underwhelming but cool boss designs.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Didnt like the villain, underwhelming questing (more useless padding and fetch quests than ever), too much time to get to dungeons and primals, and I am generally tired of the presentation and mechanics. Maybe Shadowbringer was the last straw for me.

On the positives, location design is great, music is divine, the actual primals and final dungeon bosses are awesome and the final boss was a satisfying fight but the road to get there was excruciatingly dull. I dont recall it being this dull with the previous expansion or even with HW

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
So I realized I hate "Hit button, press other button 5 times." which I seem to be running into a lot as I level different classes. I understand it's superficial as hell but for that reason I love GB because the Gnashing Fang combo feels so much more engaging then what ever the hell Dark Knights have going on right now. Don't hate it as much on Paladin and Mechanist but it's my least favorite aspect of their kits as well. Between Sam, Mnk and Drg which have to deal with it the least?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
So I realized I hate "Hit button, press other button 5 times." which I seem to be running into a lot as I level different classes. I understand it's superficial as hell but for that reason I love GB because the Gnashing Fang combo feels so much more engaging then what ever the hell Dark Knights have going on right now. Don't hate it as much on Paladin and Mechanist but it's my least favorite aspect of their kits as well. Between Sam, Mnk and Drg which have to deal with it the least?
None of them do this to a large extent. SAM might be the "closest" in the sense that sometimes when you Meikyo, you're going to be hitting one of the finisher once, do a Midare, then hit that same finisher again to prep for another midare, but that's the most of it(and there's a Midare inbetween, or a Higanbana). MNK never repeats the same move twice unless you fuck up your GL stacks and need to perfect balance spam(well at max lvl, at low lvl you will PB > Snap Punch x3 to build your stacks but once 52 you can maintain stacks with Form Shift so this becomes irrelevant and that's just once per fight at the start). DRG doesn't repeat anything besides aoe at low lvl(but that's more an issue with them only have one aoe at first so you just spam that button, it becomes a 3chain combo eventually though).

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I would say MNK or DRG have it the least. MNK's whole rotation is based on using a skill in one stance, move to the next set of skills, move to the next set of skills. Very rarely will you be repeating the same skill. Tough job to master but with the recent changes, we're near the top of the dps house.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a fun exchange last night in one of the lvl 80 dungeons. Had a monk and the healer told him about using shift to keep up stacks (no idea what this means) and that it was a QOL in the latest patch notes and he was really thankful. The healer didn't come across as an ass about it, just a helpful hint and he was really psyched about it. Wish I saw more of this.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
So i got this from the character design misinterpretations thread
Mog Station moogle butt. I just can't... I wish they did something to it!

na9z73P.png

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Saw a fun exchange last night in one of the lvl 80 dungeons. Had a monk and the healer told him about using shift to keep up stacks (no idea what this means) and that it was a QOL in the latest patch notes and he was really thankful. The healer didn't come across as an ass about it, just a helpful hint and he was really psyched about it. Wish I saw more of this.
This is what makes me love the FFXIV commun-...

So i got this from the character design misinterpretations thread
...nevermind. MY EYES

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how Duty Finder has been for people doing Eden Normal. After watching videos 1 and 3 look fine but 2 and 4 look like potential nightmares.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Curious how Duty Finder has been for people doing Eden Normal. After watching videos 1 and 3 look fine but 2 and 4 look like potential nightmares.
As a casual player, it's been fine. If you mean in terms of difficulty, 4 is definitely the one I always dread. I die on 2 at least once but that's because I don't do it enough and miss on one mechanic constantly. 4, there's always the possibility of a wipe. Otherwise, most people know how to do it now so you should be fine.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

From my experience they haven't been too bad overall. I've seen a few wipes to E4N but usually the group clears it on the second try.

I thought the delayed spell mechanic in E2N would throw off a lot of DF groups, but so far it hasn't caused too many issues. Sometimes people will leave the 'delayed stack up marker' too early either when it comes by itself or when the delayed fire markers get placed right after, but haven't seen it cause an issue that couldn't be solved with some clutch healing. At least that's my experience so far.

E4N is just very fast paced. The mechanics aren't really difficult, but it's very easy to die if you don't pay attention (even momentarily). I feel fairly comfortable with it and yet I'll still die sometimes if I get distracted trying to raise/put a heal spell on someone and I forget to pay attention to a mechanic. It can get a bit hectic, but it's a really fun fight (especially as a healer) and probably my favorite of the bunch.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

I've done the first two (three? I dunno, I'm bad with time) weeks all PUG via Duty Finder and had no issues. Worst one was 4 but it was fun figuring things out and now it's just routine. Some people still have a hard time with the time magic in E2 though.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Only gone through it once, but 1 and 4 were the rough ones. 2 had a lot of deaths due to the spell in waiting mechanic, but no wipes. Ditto 3.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Problems with E1N occur when people panic during the aoe heavy phase. It's usually silky smooth otherwise.
E2N, it can take a few pulls for people to *get* the main gimmick mechanic, then one or two more to get the clear. Not too awful.
E3N is baby mode.
E4N can be troublesome and long if you have to prog with a bunch of new people, but it's getting to the point where it's relatively smooth (all things considered) with experienced people.

Oct 26, 2017
So think Ill start the Zodiac/Anima/ Eureka weapon quests, what do I need to save up on to help out along the way, regarding poetics and seals.

Getting poetics is easy enough just what to be to save up on? Also Relic/Zodiac, Anima, or Eureka which is less of a grind?

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So think Ill start the Zodiac/Anima/ Eureka weapon quests, what do I need to save up on to help out along the way, regarding poetics and seals.

Getting poetics is easy enough just what to be to save up on? Also Relic/Zodiac, Anima, or Eureka which is less of a grind?

Eureka is pretty dead at the moment, so probably not that.
Anima is, imo, the easier to knock out, but I also have zero patience for the Zodiac Books step.

These two videos will tell you what you're getting yourself into for each:

But really, just look up the weapons you're going to go for, and see which one you like better. This playlist has videos for each, and models through every individual step.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The problem with Viera is they can't wear most hats. I didn't realize that until I rolled one and I was saddened. I know the rabbit ears makes it hard, but I was hoping that the hats would have holes in them so I could wear them anyways. =)

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Some links you may find helpful:
(Note: this post is three years old so the costs of certain items may have changed)

Eureka Tracker

FFXIV Eureka NM pop time tracker

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

Pace yourself with the books, 1-2 a day maybe. There are 9 and each one is pretty tedious back and forth between a bunch of different zones. It's the worst step by far.

If you can't Desynthesize, be prepared to spend around 1.5 million Gil on the MP towards the end. The poetics are pretty much a non-issue, the costs have been dropped so much and if you just do roulettes you'll always have enough.

I thought it was fun to spend that much time in the older zones and see all the new players running around, helping them with FATEs and stuff. It just took a long time.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Cleared E2S finally. We wiped at 0.9% at 3rd quietus. Was a very sad moment.

Anyways the frogger bullshit can die in a fire. It's not even funny to do that shit as a melee.

And for those who are still doing it you can stand in between the adds that spawn after guillotine to pre position before slicer and cleaver. Didn't know that was actually a safe spot and made cycle of chaos much easier.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up the game again thanks to the free week, I'm still in the original main quest but I'm sure it's fine if I ask this here: why can't I find Aetherflow in my Arcanist's (lv 24) actions/traits menu? I accidentally unbound it from an action bar, and now it's just nowhere to be found.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Picked up the game again thanks to the free week, I'm still in the original main quest but I'm sure it's fine if I ask this here: why can't I find Aetherflow in my Arcanist's (lv 24) actions/traits menu? I accidentally unbound it from an action bar, and now it's just nowhere to be found.
Use Energy Drain to generate Aetherflow stacks. They kinda reversed it. You also get an aoe version later. And you get new spenders, notably the SMN Fester which was 30 at 18 now, so you energy drain then fester twice(capped at 2 aetherflow for ACN/SMN).

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Oh, that's a thing that happens? Makes sense. This is the only MMO I've ever played so I never really know what to expect from these games lol.

Use Energy Drain to generate Aetherflow stacks. They kinda reversed it. You also get an aoe version later. And you get new spenders, notably the SMN Fester which was 30 at 18 now, so you energy drain then fester twice(capped at 2 aetherflow for ACN/SMN).

Ah, interesting. Is there any other point to the stacks other than that they're a resource some abilities use?

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Zenos is so lame and stupid looking, why must I fight him for so fucking long knowing full well I'm not allowed to win. Ugh.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
What large scale fates do you mean? I never really do fates so I didn't miss anything if they did cut them out.

You must have done the giant enemy crab on the beach in Costa del Sol or the big Coincutter boss in Coerthas that kills everyone with 100 tonne swing. The massive chimera at the top of Nothern Thanalan is another one. They are basically the zone bosses in each area and were a really cool, epic fight to do in the field.

They also have one of the best battle tracks in the game:

I haven't even bothered to unlock flying in some of the zones yet since there's isn't anything left to do in them or any reason I would need it. That's pretty sad. Not only do they not seem interested in adding any new open world content but they are actively removing what was there.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Zenos is fine. He is pretty much unidimensional, but somehow his VA makes him endearing. I can appreciate an implacable man hellbent on getting what he wants. That being said, he pales in comparison to Emet, who has much more depth.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zenos is so lame and stupid looking, why must I fight him for so fucking long knowing full well I'm not allowed to win. Ugh.
yea i hate that fight. Took me a while to realize I was not suppose to win. I just ran around confused why I was doing no damage as a BLM.
Zenos is fine. He is pretty much unidimensional, but somehow his VA makes him endearing. I can appreciate an implacable man hellbent on getting what he wants. That being said, he pales in comparison to Emet, who has much more depth.
he's a weird one for me.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I actually kind of like Zenos, mainly because of how he contrasted with a lot of the other notable Garlean antagonists. A lot of them were driven by their devotion to the Empire whereas Zenos is driven purely by his own desires and basically uses the Empire as a means to carry out his search for a good fight and get stronger.

Certainly not the most complicated character but I appreciate his simplicity and I think he's still entertaining.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys ever feel like you're in a hurry to get stuff done in this game? I don't even feel like playing today but I'm forcing myself to at least do the Expert roulette and level an alt at least twice. If I don't, I'll feel like I'm falling behind for some reason. It makes the game less fun.

Naru

May 11, 2019
You guys ever feel like you're in a hurry to get stuff done in this game? I don't even feel like playing today but I'm forcing myself to at least do the Expert roulette and level an alt at least twice. If I don't, I'll feel like I'm falling behind for some reason. It makes the game less fun.
Totally. I know exactly what you mean. Makes me actually play less because I feel like I might as well give up.
But that's not healthy. You should never give a fuck about that and play at your own pace... but stupid expectations like PF iLvl requirements make it seem like I HAVE to keep up because otherwise I will not be able to do the content I want to do and when I am at that level no one is interested anymore or they expect you to be perfect since the content has been out for so long. Normal MMO pressure I guess.

It's even worse for me personally. I don't want to (or can't) play FFXIV every day which makes gearing up way slower. By the time I have some good gear I'll probably do a few runs of X and Y and then stop playing and by the next time I come back (patch that adds content) all the gear will be obsolete and the grind will be for nothing. I am really struggling with this at the moment. I don't even want to do the newer expert roulettes anymore since I am already bored of those dungeons too. How will I ever get enough tomestones for that gear before it gets replaced? Never... so I forced myself to do it which burned me out and now I don't want to log in at all ... lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.