• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
For large rotations I found the secret sauce. Get a gaming mouse, or any kind of programmable mouse with 3 or 4 buttons on the side. I use the Razer Naga Trinity.

Your main hotbar is just 1,2,3,.... Another hotbar is Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, ... Another is Alt+1, Alt+2, .... And still another one can Shift+1, Shift+2, etc.

then bind the thumb-buttons on the mouse to Ctrl, Alt, and Shift. All you have to do now is press one of the thumb buttons with the corresponding number and you have easy access to 40+ actions without taking hands off the mouse.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well I did it! I signed up for am Entry subscription! That free period utterly sold me on getting back into the game. Which is funny cause I'm a solo player kind of guy and wasn't liking Duty Finder at all and had to do quite a bit of them during the free period.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
I have an MMO mouse, but despite that, I still use a controller for this game. Movement feels weird to me on keyboard, my biggest pet peeve being that I have to hold right mouse button to have the camera follow my mouse, FPS style (which I prefer). I wish there was an option to keep that permanently on or to toggle it.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Reading that last page, FF14 always scares me away with its button bloat (I will just call it that), but after over 15 years of MMOs I finally bound alt/ctrl on mouse buttons.

And hey, it kinda works. Only level 52 atm rocking Samurai and while it's gonna get worse, looking at the skill page, I stay optimistic for now.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am going to take a little break from the game. I may have burned myself out trying to catch up to Shadowbringers MSQ (Currently on level 76 quests) starting from the beginning in little over 2 and a half months. I will come back when some patch quests release but I just need a break to play other games.

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Trying to do a Nausicaa style Glamour. Really wish we had a Glider style mount.

JYvonSF.gif

xW5o86S.png

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The extra .5 delay and lack of a 0 GCD queue on macros certainly punishes you more the closer you get to automating a rotation but honestly there's a lot of areas of functional bloat that macros can help clean up that the ffxiv community at large seems weirdly resistant to. A button that heals or buffs when you target a party member or damages or debuffs when you target an enemy, a button that uses a ranged ability when you're outside melee range and a melee ability when inside it, even just stapling together a bunch of instant cooldowns you always want to be using as soon as they're ready. On my red mage, using fleche, contre sixte, and jolt spam as 3 separate buttons yields the same results as macroing it to a single button when doing 10 minute parses on a dummy which is longer than any but the highest level end game fights, whatever mechanical inefficiency exists there it means less to your output than the variance of how often you happened to crit.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I do a dungeon or trial I sometimes wonder if I'm doing something wrong because someone is handing the information about tactics to me (e.g. explaining the mechanics and how to beat bosses and such).

I also have terrible situational awareness in fights, I generally don't realize when a boss is using a huge skill for example

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Macroing GCDs in general is going to be a pretty bad affair and is enough to lend itself towards dropped GCDs and desyncing with line-ups. oGCDs suffer for this less but the all-in-one buttons suffers a bit in double weaving problems. I personally just don't see the game at a button bloat stage at this point? Most the rotations are pretty straightforward as is in terms of unique inputs. It's mostly executing rather than fitting everything.

Yeah summoner arent black images, they're expected to be zippy when needed.

Later game smn gets lots of props and instant cast time stuff to allow for this.

Meant to reply to this earlier so late to it but ... SMN has more mobility options but they're still punished pretty heavily by actually utilizing them. Movement during their Demis is pretty bad in terms of dropped pet-casts, for instance. SMN ends up being a lot less mobile than they seem simply due to eating a potency loss to access their mobility typically.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I'm gonna ask again since last time I asked no one replied....can I get invited to the ERA discord channel?
Edit: someone invited me to the discord channel, thanks!

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think there are too many buttons at all and knowing how/when to press them all is literally the game for me.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Started trying PvP yesterday to see if I'd like it enough to get Garo armor and it was decently fun for a mnk.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In all honesty, the only things you should generally be macroing are things that you want to inform the party of (Raise, Hallowed Ground, and so on), or things where you're going to have a pre-defined target most of the time, like Intervention and Shirk.

(if you're going to macro your limit break, you better make me laugh)

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been thinking of looking up a macro for NIN's gap closer. It's a terrible skill to use manually.

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
I'm gonna ask again since last time I asked no one replied....can I get invited to the ERA discord channel?
Edit: someone invited me to the discord channel, thanks!
Is there a specific FFXIV Discord for Era?

Also using chat with a Dualshock 4 is not fun lol.

ya still need a inv to the discord?

There is, but I don't know who is in charge of it now and gives out invites. Red used to, but he must have quit Era and the game. I haven't seen him in this thread at all and his lodestone profile shows that he hasn't played Shadowbringers yet.
I haven't played 5.0 yet but i'm still in charge of the discord.

if anyone needs help with the discord or something with the fc i'm a dm or ping away o/
i'm not playing at the moment but i still read the OT sometimes.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I still have yet to win a single fucking roll for an eden savage drop. I rolled a literal 1 on 2 of 3 drops from E1S this week.

This is so demoralizing. It makes me want to quit playing.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I still have yet to win a single fucking roll for an eden savage drop. I rolled a literal 1 on 2 of 3 drops from E1S this week.

This is so demoralizing. It makes me want to quit playing.

I know how that feels but one tier I was so lucky (Sigmascape) I won all of my loot on either 1st or 2nd try and got my weapon on my 2nd God Kefka clear. When I used to PF Midas I would never ever get something to drop for me and I had to buy them with pages always.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Can't decide which Grand Company I want to join. Though I'm leaning towards The Adders so far.

I'm at level 27 right now and I'm trying to get to level 30 to get the Paladin class. What's the fastest way besides MSQs to level up? I've been doing FATES so far and they seem to be helping out well but is there something else I can do too?

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Can't decide which Grand Company I want to join. Though I'm leaning towards The Adders so far.

I'm at level 27 right now and I'm trying to get to level 30 to get the Paladin class. What's the fastest way besides MSQs to level up? I've been doing FATES so far and they seem to be helping out well but is there something else I can do too?
Around that level to mix it up maybe you can do Palace of the Dead. There is an NPC in the inn/airship area of New Gridania that unlocks it if you haven't already done so. Enemies die fast do it isn't very difficult. Takes about as long a dungeon and gives about the same amount of exp too. Maybe not 100% the fastest way (given that you're playing tank spamming the closest level dungeon to you would probably be faster) but it breaks up the monotony.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Around that level to mix it up maybe you can do Palace of the Dead. There is an NPC in the inn/airship area of New Gridania that unlocks it if you haven't already done so. Enemies die fast do it isn't very difficult. Takes about as long a dungeon and gives about the same amount of exp too. Maybe not 100% the fastest way (given that you're playing tank spamming the closest level dungeon to you would probably be faster) but it breaks up the monotony.
Thank you for the tip! I'll go look for that NPC!

Any bit helps! Especially if it gives me something new to try!

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doesn't reaaaally matter, other than kind of for PvP and if you like the unique gear they have.

Immortal Shame.
Twin Badders.
Failstrom.

Pick one, lol. Most just end up going with whichever city they started in.
If you're a completionist, you'll end up going through all three once anyway.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, so that's why I never had it.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Started trying PvP yesterday to see if I'd like it enough to get Garo armor and it was decently fun for a mnk.

In 4.5, they made it so Melee DPS and Tanks do 15% more damage and take 30% less damage in Frontline. 10% and 20% in Rival Wings.
Why? Because ranged and casters were too easy to play and it in turn made Melee very vulnerable when they tried to go on the offense.

This doesnt apply to the Feast, (where you cant be attacked by 5+ players at the same time)

If you end up liking PvP, dont get too used to how jobs work since they will adjust all jobs again in 5.1. They are increasing the number of actions from 9 to 16.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
In 4.5, they made it so Melee DPS and Tanks do 15% more damage and take 30% less damage in Frontline. 10% and 20% in Rival Wings.
Why? Because ranged and casters were too easy to play and it in turn made Melee very vulnerable when they tried to go on the offense.

This doesnt apply to the Feast, (where you cant be attacked by 5+ players at the same time)

If you end up liking PvP, dont get too used to how jobs work since they will adjust all jobs again in 5.1. They are increasing the number of actions from 9 to 16.
More actions should be dope and feast I liked more than frontlines actually. I like more "competitive" modes typically. Frontlines gives more wolf marks though. Just based on what I've heard of PvP on a very basic level just didn't seem as much of a shitshow as I was led to believe.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
More actions should be dope and feast I liked more than frontlines actually. I like more "competitive" modes typically. Frontlines gives more wolf marks though. Just based on what I've heard of PvP on a very basic level just didn't seem as much of a shitshow as I was led to believe.

The Feast is all about coordinating burst attacks with your fellow team members. You'll never kill someone with normal slow dps when the enemy healer is alive. They are too fast and powerful for that. It's all about the burst. Since you played as Melee DPS, people will expect you to be the one to select which target to go after (most of the time anyway). Use the countdown Quick Chat button so you and the other DPS team member do your bursts at the same time.

Feast or Frontline/Rival Wings; you need to both in order to get all 3 GARO mounts.

I, myself, prefer Frontline/Rival Wings. We all have our preferences. 🙂

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Feast is all about coordinating burst attacks with your fellow team members. You'll never kill someone with normal slow dps when the enemy healer is alive. They are too fast and powerful for that. It's all about the burst. Since you played as Melee DPS, people will expect you to be the one to select which target to go after (most of the time anyway). Use the countdown Quick Chat button so you and the other DPS team member do your bursts at the same time.

Feast or Frontline/Rival Wings; you need to both in order to get all 3 GARO mounts.

I, myself, prefer Frontline/Rival Wings. We all have our preferences. 🙂
Isn't feast currently over? I'm not sure how you're supposed to get the mount, I also noticed it won't let me queue unless I have a premade team?

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Doesn't reaaaally matter, other than kind of for PvP and if you like the unique gear they have.

Immortal Shame.
Twin Badders.
Failstrom.

Pick one, lol. Most just end up going with whichever city they started in.
If you're a completionist, you'll end up going through all three once anyway.
Lol I guess I should just pick one and get over it. And if I do want to do more then just switch companies later on.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay got my Miner to 70. Am I good just getting the 350 gear with the yellow scripts and going into the Shadowbringers area with it?

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a healer main and I found trying to heal the feast being one of the most stressful things ever. On the other hand, playing dps was super fun. As a dps if you can pick out which player on the other team to attack (look for heavy medal stacks), know how to do your burst, and can either do the countdown chat macro for burst or follow the countdown macro for your burst, you're already ahead of most other players. Before the expac I got both the 30/60 win GARO achievement mounts fairly quickly by doing feast training matches. The only problem was the long queue for dps. You can queue in groups of 2, so if you have a healer friend you trust to queue with, do that.

On the other hand, frontlines is suffering and way harder to get wins in. That being said I do frontlines roulette every day for the quick 40 phantasmagoria tomes and wolf marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.