• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait. Tonight is my last night in 4.X , so I am doign my final preparations. But I'm going to sleep early on Thursday and waking up an hour before servers go up. (maybe less if we're able to download earlier. I seem to remember we got to DL Stormblook early on the day before Early Access).

Going to make myself an omelet, going to change to Viera, and GO GO GO!

Taking a week off of work to enjoy it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like we need to get an Era cross-server linkshell together for us folks on EU servers or something. Kinda sucks that we're all scattered around.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll ask this question in this thread.

Would I be able to do a lot of content solo / duo? Also would I be able to do the Nier Raid when I get to it cause I'm starting fresh somewhat easy meaning do I need to find a full group of people that are trying to do it in game, or is there like a random raid finder kind of thing? My playtime is very limited and I'd be mostly playing late at night for the most part.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I only took Friday off, but I'll likely pass out early on Thursday and wake up early. Did it for ARR, HW, and SB. Kind of a tradition now I suppose.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready
DIuh7RO.png

Would I be able to do a lot of content solo / duo? Also would I be able to do the Nier Raid when I get to it cause I'm starting fresh somewhat easy meaning do I need to find a full group of people that are trying to do it in game, or is there like a random raid finder kind of thing? My playtime is very limited and I'd be mostly playing late at night for the most part.
If by solo you mean "without a premade party", yes. Matchmaking is used for pretty much everything except difficult content like Savage Raids and Ultimates. The Nier raid is an Alliance (24-person) Raid, so you'll use random matchmaking for it normally.

Queues times may vary depending on how dead your datacenter is when your playtime is, of course.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
This is a solid OT. I wish I had the fortitude to grind DNC day one but I don't think I can hold off playing the MSQ.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017

there is a lfg system for group content. you wont have to form your own raid group. if your a new player, it will be a good 2 months or so before you max lvl anyways.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

There's a matchmaking system for pretty much everything in the game except basically the hardest content (of which there are easier versions you can matchmake into).

As far as stuff just by yourself, you'll need to matchmake to play dungeons and trials (boss fights) to progress the story, although you can play story required dungeons with bots in Shadowbringers' story

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Most of the story quest are solo stuff, although it does force you to group up with 3 - 7 people every now and again for dungeons and boss fights. There's matchmaking for most of it though and if youre able to find someone who's at lv cap they can carry you through all the old stuff by themselves.

1st part of the Nier raid isn't due until Oct/Nov so you have plenty of time to get caught up for it. It wont be a difficult raid at all, matchmaking will be good enough to clear it 9 out of 10 times. The queues for it will slow down the older it gets though and once part 2 is out it'll get even longer since most people just do it for a few weeks to get gear then move on.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

All party content has matchmaking, you get queue priority when you're new and some roles queue faster than others.

As long as you're not getting other players routinely killed and have the capacity to learn basic MMO mechanics, the multiplayer aspect isn't a hurdle whatsoever. A few hours a night is probably the best way to tackle the main story anyway because the base game's story takes a while to get through, and you don't want to burn out.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017

If you're new it'll take a while to get to raid content, unless you use a skip.
There's a duty finder for pretty much all content, so you just need to queue up and you'll get in eventually, tanks and healers will be a lot faster to find groups.
There are quite a lot of dungeons to run through the main story, but there are systems in place to help lower level people find groups for old content, when you hit Shadowbringers you'll be able to run story dungeons with NPCs thanks to the Trust system detailed in the OP.
Queues for PvP will be bad if you're playing late at night, dungeons and raids will be ok. While the Era FC is on Ultros, if you're playing during Australian hours I think Behemoth has a decent oceanic population if Ultros character creation is locked, you can freely jump between servers on your data center.

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Wow nice OT Dark Knight and Red XIII ! Those are some fancy looking section headers, lol.

It should be noted (for people looking to join Ultros-Era) that Ultros is currently listed as 'congested', so character creation is completely locked out no matter what time of day someone tries. The altetnative would be for such a person to make a character on another Primal world and use World Visit to visit Ultros, but at the tiem of this post it looks like all Primal is locked :(

As for personal ShB preparations, I still have to get a few more moogle stuff if possible and I haven't capped all my tomes yet. Strictly speaking I guess I don't need to, but some 60 aiming gear would be nice to have for when I get brd/mch/dnc there.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm getting quite a bit of lag tonight. I guess it's time to look into VPNs for launch.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much put all my odd ends to rest; just gonna work on some glamour plates and do a Rab + Lighthouse run to get tokens for a third i400 weapon.

Settled on DRK for first to 80 because of lore
and the fact I made all my battle class retainers DRK for some reason.

Ready to get on that crafter grind for easy gil. Someone freeze me until Friday morning please.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Time to change my character's hairstyle. I really liked the one I used throughout 4.X, but I've changed it every major beat (2.0 -> 2.X -> 3.0, etc.)
Decisions, decisions...

Oct 27, 2017
NY
gonna wake up at 5 am and be in a server queue for hours can't wait.

hot tip: if ur going bunny or beasty boy, use your fantasia now and take off everything but your main hand weapon before servers go down so you don't have to log in twice when the game goes online.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Mmmmm, that new OT smell. Even though I'm only in Heavensward content, everyone's excitement for Shadowbringers and all of the new blood flooding into the game has me so excited for this expansion.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the long question, but I'm trying to see if this will be a good fit for me.

I played Vanilla a LOT, but that was back when I had time for MMOs. I don't really remember anything from the story, and I'm considering dropping my level 50 character for a fresh character and play the game as if it were a single player experience, just to enjoy the story, lore, music, etc. I've heard there is a trust system now, which is really appealing to me as a Guild Wars fanatic, but I can't find much info on it at the moment. Will it help me clear lower level content, or is it simply for the new dungeons?

My goal is to play as a Viera Dancer, so I'd need to pick a different class to level up as. I'm not going to level skip, since I want to play it for the story. Any suggestions on a good job to level up as until I get dancer? How much in game time do you think it'll take to get through all the vanilla/expansion story content if I'm playing casually/solo?

I hope the trust system gets expanded upon. One big draw for me to come back is that I've heard there is a tactics inspired raid, which is my favorite game of all time, so I'd like to do that at my own pace with NPCs at some point.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Maybe I should switch over to Aether haha.

Glad that the FFXIV players on the site are here and hyped though.
up til recently didnt think era much cared for it.
Yeah I've weirdly gotten that impression too and I'm not sure why. HW especially is in my top tier of FF stories. I'm hoping Shadowbringers is more of that.

Sorry for the long question, but I'm trying to see if this will be a good fit for me.

I played Vanilla a LOT, but that was back when I had time for MMOs. I don't really remember anything from the story, and I'm considering dropping my level 50 character for a fresh character and play the game as if it were a single player experience, just to enjoy the story, lore, music, etc. I've heard there is a trust system now, which is really appealing to me as a Guild Wars fanatic, but I can't find much info on it at the moment. Will it help me clear lower level content, or is it simply for the new dungeons?

My goal is to play as a Viera Dancer, so I'd need to pick a different class to level up as. I'm not going to level skip, since I want to play it for the story. Any suggestions on a good job to level up as until I get dancer?

I hope the trust system gets expanded upon. One big draw for me to come back is that I've heard there is a tactics inspired raid, which is my favorite game of all time, so I'd like to do that at my own pace with NPCs at some point.

The Trust system is for level 70 only currently I'm afraid, as the current dungeons have been designed with the system in mind. So it doesn't change everything in the past I'm sorry.

That being said aside from queue times for DPS The community has always been solid for me and I always start a new dungeon with "new to this" so I open the way for communication or possible advice if I'm missing something.

BRD and MCH I believe share the same gear as Dancer if you want to take a streamlined approach. I personally think any class is great depending on your preferences. BRD has support buffs and things too to tide you over til you go all out with Dancer too.

The trust system is a big sell for me too as it helps strengthen the connections to each of the scions and other characters. Really looking forward to it as all the footage shows they have unique speech bubbles and handle the mechanics individually as opposed to just all doing the same thing too. Really great characterization through mannerisms by the teams

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

My goal is to play as a Viera Dancer, so I'd need to pick a different class to level up as. I'm not going to level skip, since I want to play it for the story. Any suggestions on a good job to level up as until I get dancer?

The Trust system is only for new stuff. There is a feature that lets you run some older dungeons with NPCs, but you unlock it long after you've cleared most of them so it's mainly a tool for leveling alternate jobs.

Dancers share gear (outside of weapons obviously) with Bards (who start as Archers) and Machinists (who are only unlocked at level 30), so you may want to start as an Archer/Bard.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I should switch over to Aether haha.

Glad that the FFXIV players on the site are here and hyped though.

Yeah I've weirdly gotten that impression too and I'm not sure why. HW especially is in my top tier of FF stories. I'm hoping Shadowbringers is more of that.

The Trust system is for level 70 only currently I'm afraid, as the current dungeons have been designed with the system in mind. So it doesn't change everything in the past I'm sorry.

That being said aside from queue times for DPS The community has always been solid for me and I always start a new dungeon with "new to this" so I open the way for communication or possible advice if I'm missing something.

BRD and MCH I believe share the same gear as Dancer if you want to take a streamlined approach. I personally think any class is great depending on your preferences. BRD has support buffs and things too to tide you over til you go all out with Dancer too.

The trust system is a big sell for me too as it helps strengthen the connections to each of the scions and other characters. Really looking forward to it as all the footage shows they have unique speech bubbles and handle the mechanics individually as opposed to just all doing the same thing too. Really great characterization through mannerisms by the teams
tbc it wasnt ff14, just didnt think mmos had much a fallowing here.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Cool thanks for the replies. It looks like I only have the base game purchased on Steam. Does that mean I will buy the Stormblood expansion (which looks like it includes heavensward) for $39.99 and then Shadowbringers for $39.99? Is there a cheaper way to get caught up? Would that also allow me to get early access?

Don't buy Stormblood on its own. Shadowbringers will include Heavensward and Stormblood.
Shadowbringers includes both Stormblood and Heavensward.

Thanks! I may still hold out to see if they retroactively make trust work on old content in the future. I think they did something similar for FFXI. It would make playing through the campaign so seamless and pretty much exactly what I want.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Cool thanks for the replies. It looks like I only have the base game purchased on Steam. Does that mean I will buy the Stormblood expansion (which looks like it includes heavensward) for $39.99 and then Shadowbringers for $39.99? Is there a cheaper way to get caught up? Would that also allow me to get early access?

Thanks!

Don't buy Stormblood on its own. Shadowbringers will include Heavensward and Stormblood.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

Thanks!
Shadowbringers includes both Stormblood and Heavensward.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Great OT. I'm busy farming irregulars to get those last few items out of the way, but I will be there bright and early Friday morning (took the day off).

ALL IN ON DANCER BAYBEE

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Aww yeah, nice OT!

Only about half-way through HW's MSQs so far, but it's been great getting back into this. Fingers crossed for minimal launch-day server meltdowns :D

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing OT!

Gunbreaker I'm ready for you. I'm finally switching my main after 2 expansions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.