• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
As a tank, when can I attempt doing the Eden Raids (Normal) or the Extreme Trials? My gearscore is currently 432, but I am still using the armor and weapon from the Role quest.

Should I do the Extreme Trials before the Eden raids, or is it pretty much the same difficulty?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As a tank, when can I attempt doing the Eden Raids (Normal) or the Extreme Trials? My gearscore is currently 432, but I am still using the armor and weapon from the Role quest.

Should I do the Extreme Trials before the Eden raids, or is it pretty much the same difficulty?
Normal raids are very easy, you shouldn't have a problem there, extreme trials will be harder than everything you've experienced so far, I don't remember the specific item level for them but I'm pretty sure you're above them, though I never see learning/clear groups anymore so unless you can team with friends it'll be hard to find people.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Normal raids are a lot easier than an extreme trial. You can go in blind with them, have multiple deaths, and generally clear them within 10 mins without any prior knowledge of the fight. Extreme trials on the other hand are a little bit more punishing, have enrage timers, and require people to have a general idea of the fight to avoid mechanics wiping the run.

Do normal Eden first and join the hunt discord server for your dc and do an A train or 2 for tomes to buy the 440 gear.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take to level an alt job? I'm going through 3.4 MSQ with my monk but once I'm up to date with MSQ I wanna try ranged DPS and healing.

You get 100% more exp up to 70 and 50% to 80, so that's nice. The bad news is still a quite of bit of time lol

If you have the +50% (up to 70) from earrings and the +30% ring (up to 30) that speeds up a lot to. Healer is also definitely faster (you can spam dungeons)

So the answer is... I'm not sure, but probably I would say like 2 weeks minimum (several hours each day) fully dedicated to it (from 1 to 80). You can start some jobs like Dancer at 60,which definetly help you reach 80 way faster.

My plan would be spam deep dungeons and normal dungeons. If you have you company squadron they are a great way to lvl up DPS (specifically from 50 to 60). While waiting for dungeon queues do beast tribe quest and FATEs.

Also remember weekly challange exp boosts, you can get some very taste extra exp and you don't want to waste those on fully leveled jobs lol

Last edited:

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing some different games while waiting for 5.1, some mixed genres but all with some type of gearing system (MMOs, lootershooters for example) and it kind if hit me... I REALLY want more ways to get gear in XIV. Content that I can do with a smaller group, content I can do with an 8 man group, content that is worth doing to gear up my jobs. I really want a wider range of gear and builds to go for and XIV is heavily lacking in that area. The game just becomes "log in once a week to do weekly stuff" for me every expansion.

Eureka was a huge step in the right direction but was obviously lacking in a lot of areas. Was hoping to hear something by now but maybe in next LL.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Been playing some different games while waiting for 5.1, some mixed genres but all with some type of gearing system (MMOs, lootershooters for example) and it kind if hit me... I REALLY want more ways to get gear in XIV. Content that I can do with a smaller group, content I can do with an 8 man group, content that is worth doing to gear up my jobs. I really want a wider range of gear and builds to go for and XIV is heavily lacking in that area. The game just becomes "log in once a week to do weekly stuff" for me every expansion.

Eureka was a huge step in the right direction but was obviously lacking in a lot of areas. Was hoping to hear something by now but maybe in next LL.
Sadly I don't think it'll change, I honestly think FFXIV has the most casual playerbase of any MMO I've played (and it's mainly due to how the game is designed), the majority of the playerbase are here for the story and once that's done they leave and come back for the next (you can already feel how empty the game is these days), nobody cares about PvP, dungeons don't drop anything worthwhile, hell even Savage drops are disappointing, but SE seems to be fine with this and I doubt they will change the formula.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I ultimately just want to get the crafters up to 80 so i can make money and such I'm just glad that I can repair gear myself now.
I was definitely pleasantly surprised to see that repairs begin 10 levels below the item's job level requirement.
I'm mainly aiming for 80 so I can try my hand at overmelding come January's raid tier, lol

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
For me gearing is superfluous outside of having something to do to get ready for the next tier. My enjoyment comes from leveling different jobs and getting familiar with them. And glamour. Probably mostly the latter. The game's designed to let you be able to play different games once you finish the story. The people who stay do so for the community mostly.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

I thought Eureka was great, but sadly the gear you got there only became slightly relevant at the very end of the raid cycle last time around (although there were exceptions here and there since Eureka gear had 5 materia slots). They should just go all in on Eureka gear and make it comparable to what you get from savage, same ilevel and everything. Make it a huge grind if you want but the people like gearing options.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I was trying to raise up money to at least 6 mil gil to buy a small house in Lavender Beds.

So I decided to check the housing market subreddit to see if there are any available.

6 mil gil is NOT enough wow. Small houses were going for 30 mil gil there. I can barely make 10000 a day RIP.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to raise up money to at least 6 mil gil to buy a small house in Lavender Beds.

So I decided to check the housing market subreddit to see if there are any available.

6 mil gil is NOT enough wow. Small houses were going for 30 mil gil there. I can barely make 10000 a day RIP.

That's just the extortion fees people are trying to charge to relinquish a plot, and that would be useless if you dont already own a house anyway because of the timer.

If one's available they cost around 4m

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
hum It might be a time thing then, I stopped doing all hw ones after hitting max rank, done Ananta prob twice over because how fast they are

Yeah, the Heavansward Beast Tribe Quests are fine in terms of XP. This goes for all of the post ARR ones, but they get even better as you upgrade reputation since rank ups also increases exp gain.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

Small housing plots are usually in the low 3 mil range plus 450k for the house itself, 6 mil is more than enough
Don't buy a house off the secondary market. You'll have to already own a house or you get an FC (with a house) transferred to you so you'd be locked out of being a part of an FC you're actually interested in

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
That's just the extortion fees people are trying to charge to relinquish a plot, and that would be useless if you dont already own a house anyway because of the timer.

If one's available they cost around 4m
Small housing plots are usually in the low 3 mil range plus 450k for the house itself, 6 mil is more than enough
Don't buy a house off the secondary market. You'll have to already own a house or you get an FC (with a house) transferred to you so you'd be locked out of being a part of an FC you're actually interested in
Oh okay! Thank you both for the answers! I was wondering why the price was so high considering that I was repeatedly told that it was around 4 mil plus fees. I feel a lot better now! And now I think I will stop visiting that subreddit lol.

I guess the only real problem now is getting at least 5 to 6 mil gil by the time the new patch hits. I've been wanting a small house in Lavender Beds for a while now but I'm barely at 2 mil gil. And like I said I don't make much money at all daily lol.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I don't think it'll change, I honestly think FFXIV has the most casual playerbase of any MMO I've played (and it's mainly due to how the game is designed), the majority of the playerbase are here for the story and once that's done they leave and come back for the next (you can already feel how empty the game is these days), nobody cares about PvP, dungeons don't drop anything worthwhile, hell even Savage drops are disappointing, but SE seems to be fine with this and I doubt they will change the formula.
Yeah this is very true. I just find it sad because XIV is THE MMO for me in terms of style, jobs, combat, boss designs and such. I really LOVE the game but rarely see a reason to play.

I thought Eureka was great, but sadly the gear you got there only became slightly relevant at the very end of the raid cycle last time around (although there were exceptions here and there since Eureka gear had 5 materia slots). They should just go all in on Eureka gear and make it comparable to what you get from savage, same ilevel and everything. Make it a huge grind if you want but the people like gearing options.
I feel like SE tried to dive into the grindy stuff with... eeeh what was it called in HW, the content that had RNG gear.. Diaedem? I was on a break back then but if I remember correctly you could get some really good stuff from there if you got the good stat rolls? Which then evolved into Eureka.

And as you say, giving us a grindy type of content with gear that rivals savage would be awesome. A new version of Eureka that actually requires you to do some fun work and not afk (let's face it 99% of the people in Eureka went AFK between fates) would be really great.

And honestly I would be fine with some awesome looking glam sets as well as long as the content is fun and different. Imagine if POTD / HoH had an update that gave us a Lv 80 version with new type of floors / tasks on each floor where communication is key. And some cool sets added to it in each update that required you to finish them X amount of times to get a full set for one job. Kind of like seasons that other games has started to use. And all of a sudden there is 4 man battle content worth doing for some good rewards. I don't know...

I just find it so strange that SE gives us content but the rewards for doing it are very lacking.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If I'm gonna grind I want it to be more fun than doing Fates all day. Someday I'll do Eureka for the story, but man did I hate my four levels in Anemos. I similarly dislike how overworld hunts are essentially zergfests so I only do my personal weeklies if I feel like it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Oh okay! Thank you both for the answers! I was wondering why the price was so high considering that I was repeatedly told that it was around 4 mil plus fees. I feel a lot better now! And now I think I will stop visiting that subreddit lol.

I guess the only real problem now is getting at least 5 to 6 mil gil by the time the new patch hits. I've been wanting a small house in Lavender Beds for a while now but I'm barely at 2 mil gil. And like I said I don't make much money at all daily lol.
FWIW, you don't absolutely need 5-6 mil before 5.1. The plots are low 3 mil. There's a demolition timer of 45 days since the last time you went in the house that starts when you buy the plot. Therefore, if you have barely enough money to buy the plot, you have another 45 days to scrape together 450k to build the house and enter it.

Some non-crafting ideas to get some quick gil:
Flip Goetia mats
Try to flip GC seal mats
Make sure you're sending your retainers out so you can sell what they bring back

I had like 11 mil before I bought my small house and I don't do any crafting, 2 mil seems like a very low amount to have unless you haven't been playing long or you spend a lot of gil on something else like glam

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with adding more avenues of gear progression is that those activities essentially become mandatory for proper character progression. It's not going to be "You can do Nu-Eureka or raid to gear up, choose the one you like better!", it's going to be "You have to do Nu-Eureka *and* raid because you need to gear up ASAP." - that is, unless they explicitly link the loot lockout of one to the other.

Personally, part of the reason I burned out on WoW and started playing FFXIV was that Mythic+ A) felt mandatory, B) wasn't really that fun in the end (might be related to larger, overarching issues of combat design in that game though), and C) forced you to slog through content you weren't going to get worthwhile rewards from (sub-level-10 keystones) to complete (unless you had a dedicated group that always had a keystone ready). Not to mention the wild swings in difficulty depending on how the randomized dungeon selection you got on your keystone combined with the weekly affixes (and the insane RNG on the loot chests).

TL;DR: Adding additional gear progression routes risks burning out your players if you do it too much or do it wrong.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion: They should make part of most part of the real store items into really rare loot of the new activities they create (Eureka successor, new deep dungeon,...) instead of progression gear or just whatever scrap emotes and stuff you get for deep dungeons. But, of course, they probably make too much money on 30$ mounts and other stuff to think about doing it.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhh. Not as far as i know. It was really meant for parties, like large parties. I hope they revamp it to be single player and quick

The NM's in Eureka actually scale to the number of players pretty well. You can kill them with just one party. Granted you have to actually do their mechanics in that case...

I'm not sure about spawning them though, if the number of kills you need scales to the number of people in the instance or not.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
What is Eureka like now? I just unlocked it (lol...) and I wanted the mount...
25wfhRs.png

I was sad to find it dead before Shadowbringers even came out.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DR: Adding additional gear progression routes risks burning out your players if you do it too much or do it wrong.
I agree somewhat, my guild never pushed M+ on it's memebers but of course it was a REALLY good bonus if you did em. Main problem for me with M+ was that it never ended, you could always push higher and higher and hope RNG blessed you with forged stuff. But I see your point which is why I also said glam gear would be fine as well, somewhat. Either way, game needs more stuff for us to work towards that actually requires us to do content that is either really fun OR challenging, or both :P

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I agree somewhat, my guild never pushed M+ on it's memebers but of course it was a REALLY good bonus if you did em. Main problem for me with M+ was that it never ended, you could always push higher and higher and hope RNG blessed you with forged stuff. But I see your point which is why I also said glam gear would be fine as well, somewhat. Either way, game needs more stuff for us to work towards that actually requires us to do content that is either really fun OR challenging, or both :P
I'd be totally down for glam rewards. I just don't like having a long list of stuff I feel like I *have* to do every day/week or I'm going to fall behind.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
HD au ra scales, thanks mods
I'm hoping maybe with the PS5 release and the inevitable port, they might do some HD texture pack kind of thing for PS5/PC. I don't think they have to rework the engine too much, the game looks great for the most part, but character textures are really really bad on most stuff. It's even worse that they don't bother making story characters have higher textures even though they only appear in cutscenes/personnal instances.

Until then, mods work out alright although they tend to be fairly specific.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse that they don't bother making story characters have higher textures even though they only appear in cutscenes/personnal instances.
I'd argue that might be as bad as you think. Spending time on textures for stuff you only see in cutscenes/instances is taking time away that could be spent on stuff you'd see everywhere.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I used Trusts to start leveling my NIN. It was miserable. I'm never doing that again. I'd rather wait out the queue.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This game is so dead I can't even farm the moogle event, doesn't help that our government if fucking us over with the internet too.

Can't say I've noticed that on my data center. PvP queues are almost instant for me these days which is the first time I've seen that happen since I've started playing (everyone trying to get that Garo gear and tomestones before they're gone I imagine). Even the DPS queue times for MSQ roulette aren't as terrible as they were before from my experience. I've almost got the hundred tomestones for the doggo earrings without really trying.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can't say I've noticed that on my data center. PvP queues are almost instant for me these days which is the first time I've seen that happen since I've started playing (everyone trying to get that Garo gear and tomestones before they're gone I imagine). Even the DPS queue times for MSQ roulette aren't as terrible as they were before from my experience. I've almost got the hundred tomestones for the doggo earrings without really trying.
This time of the day Jenova is dead even with healer privilege.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I'd argue that might be as bad as you think. Spending time on textures for stuff you only see in cutscenes/instances is taking time away that could be spent on stuff you'd see everywhere.
The problem is these characters are central parts of the story and are often in cutscenes that have them zoomed in, where you can clearly see how terrible the textures are. Obviously it'd come at a cost, but we're talking 20ish characters per expansion or so that'd need higher quality textures, a lot being reused for several patches or even expansions(Kan-E-Senna hasn't changed her robe in like 6years for example). Not 8k textures either, just not PS3 pixel paste stuff they've been doing.

It's obviously not gamebreaking, it's just really sad how ugly some of these characters end up being in the cool cutscenes.

Ashamoil

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is these characters are central parts of the story and are often in cutscenes that have them zoomed in, where you can clearly see how terrible the textures are. Obviously it'd come at a cost, but we're talking 20ish characters per expansion or so that'd need higher quality textures, a lot being reused for several patches or even expansions(Kan-E-Senna hasn't changed her robe in like 6years for example). Not 8k textures either, just not PS3 pixel paste stuff they've been doing.

It's obviously not gamebreaking, it's just really sad how ugly some of these characters end up being in the cool cutscenes.

Part of me died every time there was a cutscene with Hien and his grody pixel dreamcoat got a close-up, and then the rest of me died when they put the grody pixel dreamcoat on Mog Station. 🤮

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
At what point should I start attempting wall to wall pulls with my tank? New to the game, and just got to the 2.x quests. Every once and a while I'll do a Hard mode dungeon from ARR and I'm still only pulling one, maybe two groups at a time. Nobody has said anything yet and I'm still getting player commendations (so hopefully that means I'm doing SOMETHING right) but at what point will players start expecting me to wall to wall pull? I think I'm ready for it, but I feel like it's more of a job for the healer rather than myself?

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crafters are at 71 except for Goldsmith which is at 72 but running low on leves so I guess it's collectables more untill they build up.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhh. Not as far as i know. It was really meant for parties, like large parties. I hope they revamp it to be single player and quick
Eureka will probbs get way easer in a
I'm hoping maybe with the PS5 release and the inevitable port, they might do some HD texture pack kind of thing for PS5/PC. I don't think they have to rework the engine too much, the game looks great for the most part, but character textures are really really bad on most stuff. It's even worse that they don't bother making story characters have higher textures even though they only appear in cutscenes/personnal instances.

Until then, mods work out alright although they tend to be fairly specific.
They don't look like dog shit

praise the twelve

EUYdS72.png

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
At what point should I start attempting wall to wall pulls with my tank? New to the game, and just got to the 2.x quests. Every once and a while I'll do a Hard mode dungeon from ARR and I'm still only pulling one, maybe two groups at a time. Nobody has said anything yet and I'm still getting player commendations (so hopefully that means I'm doing SOMETHING right) but at what point will players start expecting me to wall to wall pull? I think I'm ready for it, but I feel like it's more of a job for the healer rather than myself?
Pull two packs at the start and see how your healer/DPS handle it. Use a cooldown if you're pulling more than one pack. If it goes well and you don't have to blow all your cooldowns on that first pull, pull two again. You'll get a feel for it eventually. It's generally easier at higher levels when you have more tools available to you.
Closing in on Shadowbringers now. MSQ SB is done, and post SB I think I'm at 4.4? Feels like right before the expansion, as things are going down.
You're very close. The last patch is like an hour's worth of quests at most.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
After having cleared nothing more difficult than Titania EX up to this point, I decided to sack up and give E1S a shot for the first time last night. Honestly went pretty well, saw up to the spinny orb phase, and other than going to the wrong Delta Attack position once, I kept my mistakes to a minimum.

I was surprised to find some parts of it even easier than E1N, like baiting 5 AOEs and then going to your assigned orb for Pure Light is considerably simpler than the clusterfuck of dodging all those AOEs in Normal. Hopefully can clear it sometime this weekend, I know there's not much left to it after the spinny orbs. Having at least 1 Savage clear under my belt will be great for my confidence to tackle future higher-difficulty content. I would like to jump into the 5.1 Extreme trial sooner than waiting a few months to do Eden Savage like I am now.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need to pass the 10 squadron missions needed to unlock the workout emotes or is it enough to just do them? My squadron has failed three times in a row because they're a bunch of fucking losers.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it today I would still think Heavensward is the better expansion even if Shadowbringers was extremely enjoyable. In terms of overall consistency, Heavensward was really strong throughout. Shadowbringers has higher highs that hits you hard but some things really ended up worse off as a result

What the fuck even is Ranjit? the Empire is now a complete joke when it was still a nuanced and with understandable motives albeit horrible. Heavensward was very consistent politically while ShB is...more anime? It definitely has that focus on the power of friendship and unity even when it's stretching too far (the slaveowners working together with the slaves they threw off to their deaths and we should accept like the conflict is resolved is nonsensical)

I'm waiting on 5.1 to see where it leads

Status
Not open for further replies.