• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
What's the funniest shit you guys have seen in a hub city? The other day I saw a female Miqo'te using that freaking out emote where they put their hands on their heads and tremble over someone using the play dead emote. I couldn't stop laughing.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
isnt it super weird that the Nier raid isnt just a promotional one off timed thing but the actual ONLY proper alliance raid in the game? I don't mean that in a bad way in the slightest, it's just so odd. Anyway unlocked it now, and did the third 80 dungeon to unlock the expert roulette also.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Level locked on story again. I guess I need another story roulette to hit 79.

This bit about gathering the entire region to build a gigantic fucking mech is ridiculous, but also very anime power of friendship type stuff. Feels like a ridiculous solution to me. When you're chasing a guy on the run, "let's build a megastructure mech" isn't exactly my first thought.

Ranjit wasn't so bad after all, outside his first duty. He wasn't as comically OP in his other appearances. Though it's still jarring for him to beat everyone without breaking a sweat to eventually losing to you, especially since my rotation didn't change one bit between 70 and 78.

Storming Eulmore felt weird because where was their vaunted army? They only had zombies to send against us.

Still trying to guess who the Exarch is. From his latest cutscene about wanting to go adventuring with you, I imagine he's someone who knows you or looks up to you, but I'm not sure who. Seeing a few death flags show up for him though, so I hope he survives all this.

So Ardbert's role mgiht be to save me from exploding into light?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Level locked on story again. I guess I need another story roulette to hit 79.

This bit about gathering the entire region to build a gigantic fucking mech is ridiculous, but also very anime power of friendship type stuff. Feels like a ridiculous solution to me. When you're chasing a guy on the run, "let's build a megastructure mech" isn't exactly my first thought.

Ranjit wasn't so bad after all, outside his first duty. He wasn't as comically OP in his other appearances. Though it's still jarring for him to beat everyone without breaking a sweat to eventually losing to you, especially since my rotation didn't change one bit between 70 and 78.

Storming Eulmore felt weird because where was their vaunted army? They only had zombies to send against us.

Still trying to guess who the Exarch is. From his latest cutscene about wanting to go adventuring with you, I imagine he's someone who knows you or looks up to you, but I'm not sure who. Seeing a few death flags show up for him though, so I hope he survives all this.

So Ardbert's role mgiht be to save me from exploding into light?
I take it you never did the Crystal Tower Raid?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
there is going to be three like with every expansion. They will release on odd numbered patches (5.1, 5.3 and 5.5).

I know, its just weird that a non-Final Fantasy thing is the first. Is it that weird I think its its weird?

Its like if the first raid in WoW's Shadowlands was a Starcraft raid.

NeckToChicken

Oct 25, 2017
I know, its just weird that a non-Final Fantasy thing is the first. Is it that weird I think its its weird?

Its like if the first raid in WoW's Shadowlands was a Starcraft raid.

The next two alliance raids will also be Nier Automata raids, for a total of three. Maybe it'll feel less strange when it's a completed series like the Ivalice raids.

While weird, there's enough of a technology vs. magic aesthetic in XIV that it doesn't not fit I guess.

(Edited: misunderstood your confusion)

Last edited:

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Part of it is going to be that there are fewer people doing Savage in general right now; it'll be interesting to see if the player numbers pick up next tier when gear basically resets. I think I'm going to give it a shot; WHM isn't growing on me over time and I miss my Malefics.

Honestly while I'd personally be down for another card revamp, my big short-term wishlist item is just tacking an MP restore onto Earthly Star explosion.

That or add it to COpp, that'd be awesome for em.

I am also curious to see the healer situation (AST and all) come next patch. I relented (kind of) and played SCH some in my statics raids because we could not find a second steady healer to replace me after the last set of Savage raids came out, and while it's better for me than AST is, at the end of the day I just want to play DNC :(

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The next two alliance raids will also be Nier Automata raids, for a total of three. Maybe it'll feel less strange when it's a completed series like the Ivalice raids.

While weird, there's enough of a technology vs. magic aesthetic in XIV that it doesn't not fit I guess.

(Edited: misunderstood your confusion)

the weird part to me is that is another IP completely. It's like if it was a Hitman raid, because SE also owns that I guess :p

well, used to own it. I gues Hitman 1 is still technically a SE game, just 2 isnt.

All three raids in Yohra: Dark Apocalypise are going to be Nier themed.

oh wow, that's even weirder :D

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Last story quest of 2.0 completed! The grind wasn't really too bad, outside of getting from 47 to 49 I stayed ahead of the MSQ level gating the entire way (I'm sure the grind was much worse at launch though), but also it really wasn't that bad otherwise. People were making it sound like I was going to stab my eyes out at the content and story but I thought it was fine? Not amazing or anything, but outside of one specific part (where you're running around doing bullshit to try to get to Garuda) it didn't feel like a slog and I had a good time all in all. Only (?) took me about 3 weeks of play, with most of that playtime being on weekends, so it wasn't as long as a time investment as I'd thought. I know I still have a ways to go until I hit actual HW content and further though. Now I have to actually start playing the game properly >_>

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
welp! I misunderstood how copied factory's loot system worked and wasted my 1 win on a greed item LOL

FML. oh well.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Last story quest of 2.0 completed! The grind wasn't really too bad, outside of getting from 47 to 49 I stayed ahead of the MSQ level gating the entire way (I'm sure the grind was much worse at launch though), but also it really wasn't that bad otherwise. People were making it sound like I was going to stab my eyes out at the content and story but I thought it was fine? Not amazing or anything, but outside of one specific part (where you're running around doing bullshit to try to get to Garuda) it didn't feel like a slog and I had a good time all in all. Only (?) took me about 3 weeks of play, with most of that playtime being on weekends, so it wasn't as long as a time investment as I'd thought. I know I still have a ways to go until I hit actual HW content and further though. Now I have to actually start playing the game properly >_>
Get ready for more fetch quests in 2.1-2.5 especially from Tataru. Hang in there though, as the story gets real good when you get to Keeper Of the Lake dungeon.

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
Stormblood post game has been some of my favourite content so far.

The Tsukuyomi trial almost made me cry bro, Tsuyu deserved better

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
finished 5.1 and did all the content in ShB, my sub has 1 week left and now I need to decide what to do I guess. For now im still into lvling the other jobs I like, not sure if thats enough for a resub tho since I wont be raiding. Guess I'll decide in 1 week.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally did it!

VY3YCDi.jpg

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a lot of scholar because its what im leveling using the daily roulettes every day (and I do all the roulettes because I'm a masochist), at 76 I'm really liking it except for 2 nitpicks:

- I'm finding it hard to top someone off fast in OH SHIT moments. Compared to white mage who can just LOLBENEDICTION or Astro who can like essencial dignity + celestial intersection or something, SCH seems lacking in the "big heal for emergency" department. Excog needs anticipation, adlo+emergency tactics is ok-ish I guess. Just something I've noticed.

You can use Dissipation if you're really desperate. With all the shields, HoTs (Improved Sacred Soil is a game changer), and various oGCD options it's very hard to find yourself in those situations to begin with unless things are going very, very wrong.

- Fairy meter skills are...awkward? I don't have the AOE yet, not that I'm lacking for AOE anyway, but that tether HOT thing the fairy does is like...here, have a hot on the tank because my meter is full I guess?

You hit the nail on the head. Fey Union is basically a clunkier but oGCD version of Regen and Fey Blessing is just another oGCD heal on top of like three others, but they're both pretty useful.

Fey Union is particularly useful for dungeons, since it can pretty much keep the tank alive by itself. Stagger your oGCD usage and never cast a GCD heal again.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You hit the nail on the head. Fey Union is basically a clunkier but oGCD version of Regen and Fey Blessing is just another oGCD heal on top of like three others, but they're both pretty useful.

Fey Union is particularly useful for dungeons, since it can pretty much keep the tank alive by itself. Stagger your oGCD usage and never cast a GCD heal again.

oh don't get me wrong, they aren't bad by any means, like I said, the system just feels awkward, not sure why. I like the healing beam thingie but most of the time ive used it was a case of "welp my meter is full I guess i better wack it on he tank to not waste it"

speaking of healers, been going back to white mage lately, got it to 55 (56? something like that), its growing on me. Benediction is ridiculous.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Can any fellow RDM players tell me what Reprisal is supposed to be good for? Outside of bosses where you have to spend a lot of time moving and don't have time to cast (like say Holminster's third boss and his tail swipe combo that goes on forever), I can't see it being particularly useful.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Can any fellow RDM players tell me what Reprisal is supposed to be good for? Outside of bosses where you have to spend a lot of time moving and don't have time to cast (like say Holminster's third boss and his tail swipe combo that goes on forever), I can't see it being particularly useful.
You reminded me that that move existed. I think someone else said that's all it's really good for. I was confused about it myself. I tried working it into my opener but it's awkward.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
oh don't get me wrong, they aren't bad by any means, like I said, the system just feels awkward, not sure why. I like the healing beam thingie but most of the time ive used it was a case of "welp my meter is full I guess i better wack it on he tank to not waste it"

speaking of healers, been going back to white mage lately, got it to 55 (56? something like that), its growing on me. Benediction is ridiculous.

I understand the awkwardness, especially in raids. My meter just sits full most of the time until I use Fey Blessing. A single-target HoT just doesn't seem that useful, and the clunkiness of Eos having to move and plant herself is awful.

I haven't played in a little over a month, about to pop back in. Going to finally get AST and WHM to 80, hopefully.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! Might be my favourite mount in the game and I'll probably never actually have it myself.

BA is something I'd really like to try as well but I don't think I have it in me to go through the grind to get there.

It's not a particularly bad grind to get to BA, you just have to level to 60 in Eureka. Challenge log really helps with that. Getting crystals for the relic and equipment was the annoying grind.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Eureka is not that bad at all. I would say you have to at bare minimum do some research of how Eureka works and get involved in the Eureka community. They were absolutely helpful in making sure I minmax my way to max and completing BA. I just started BA yesterday and it happened that there was a run today for me to join in on and complete. Eureka is definitely doable as long as you're patient and have good game sense.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yes, fey union is weird. I use it to spend it as it is free heals after all. Once you're comfortable with its OGCD-ness though there's no reason not to plug a tank up during auto damage. Or to delay the excog pop during pulls so I have more time to DPS and I get most of the 45 second timer. More time for art of war, less time for taking damage.

Emergency heals are harder. If something goes wrong like a tank messes a pull up and everything has gone Moogle Woogly and you run out of aetherflow and fairy juice I've found myself dipping into dissipation and actually using GCD heals, cause it boosts them. Then doing a weird sort of physick-》ET-》adlo weave to do heavy duty single target healing on the tank once they recover the aggro.

But I like the fairy stuff. I like ogcd-ing a placement during mechanics that force the party to run apart so they get a shield or regen from the fairy even when I'm too far away. I like how the whole class seems to almost entirely separate healing and DPS between ogcd and gcd. AST is tripping me up after so much SCH cause it's more of a gcd healer (I think) and cards are your ogcd thing. DPS just feels weird on it, like I'm being punished for doing it sometimes with the high mp cost

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played a game, certainly not a mmo, where the visual aspect is so important as it is in this game for me.

A good example is me flip flopping on Machinist the last few weeks, and getting back to it recently and getting it to 70, its amazing what a difference in enjoyment the 3 combo skills simply having the new animations. I know that they are the same skills as they were before, nothing changed in the rotation, but it just feels so much better with those upgraded skills (and Drill which looks badass) that it shot the Job back up in my priority list just because of that (well, to be fair, that and the fact that physical ranged is clearly my favorite role along with healer so I want to have all 3 ranged physical dps).

That or I'm just a shallow pleb that likes flashies /shrug

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
I've never played a game, certainly not a mmo, where the visual aspect is so important as it is in this game for me.

A good example is me flip flopping on Machinist the last few weeks, and getting back to it recently and getting it to 70, its amazing what a difference in enjoyment the 3 combo skills simply having the new animations. I know that they are the same skills as they were before, nothing changed in the rotation, but it just feels so much better with those upgraded skills (and Drill which looks badass) that it shot the Job back up in my priority list just because of that (well, to be fair, that and the fact that physical ranged is clearly my favorite role along with healer so I want to have all 3 ranged physical dps).

That or I'm just a shallow pleb that likes flashies /shrug

They are extremely good... and goofy

nzwcBdX.jpg

LDNobZK.jpg

ZFJyQTZ.jpg

fmgrzAu.jpg

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a particularly bad grind to get to BA, you just have to level to 60 in Eureka. Challenge log really helps with that. Getting crystals for the relic and equipment was the annoying grind.
Eureka is not that bad at all. I would say you have to at bare minimum do some research of how Eureka works and get involved in the Eureka community. They were absolutely helpful in making sure I minmax my way to max and completing BA. I just started BA yesterday and it happened that there was a run today for me to join in on and complete. Eureka is definitely doable as long as you're patient and have good game sense.
It's certainly encouraging to hear that it's not too bad. I also totally forgot about the Challenge log.

I guess I should at least do that as the bare minimum to make some sort of progress.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any particularly good way to get the Alleghan (sp) Tomes? I'm level 52 now, but I'm starting to hit ilvl gates (such as Odin) and short of spending more gil than would be wise on the MB grabbing Ironworks stuff with tomes seems to be the way to go? From clearing the last few 2.0 dungeons and hard Ifirit (I got hard Garuda unlocked but got off for the night) I wound up with something like 700 which was enough for two pieces of gear, which combined with the Bard Coffer gear pieces and a bow I got off the MB took me up to like mid 80s but that's still not high enough for Odin. I was planning on knocking out the final + quests before moving on with the post 2.0 MSQ stuff (which is how I ran into Odin and the Hard primals), but if it's gonna be a bad grind maybe I'm just better off pushing into the MSQ until I hit post-2.0 vendors that just outright sell that stuff since powercreep is a thing?

On a related note I also snagged the level 50 bow relic quest. I don't really wanna pay 120k to get the bow I need off the MB, so I started leveling a Carpenter lol. I know I can hit up the FC to craft it for me, but I'll give this a go for a while and see if I like it. Botanist at 48 is still pretty straightforward, Carpenter seems a bit more involved.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
So is there any particularly good way to get the Alleghan (sp) Tomes?

You just get them from doing duties. Level 50 dungeons and trials will give tomestones. So will any level 50+ daily roulette.

I was planning on knocking out the final + quests before moving on with the post 2.0 MSQ stuff (which is how I ran into Odin and the Hard primals), but if it's gonna be a bad grind maybe I'm just better off pushing into the MSQ until I hit post-2.0 vendors that just outright sell that stuff since powercreep is a thing?

Tomestones are always a grind. There's no way to avoid it, unless you don't want tomestone gear. You won't get to any vendors with better gear until you get to Heavensward.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
So is there any particularly good way to get the Alleghan (sp) Tomes? I'm level 52 now, but I'm starting to hit ilvl gates (such as Odin) and short of spending more gil than would be wise on the MB grabbing Ironworks stuff with tomes seems to be the way to go? From clearing the last few 2.0 dungeons and hard Ifirit (I got hard Garuda unlocked but got off for the night) I wound up with something like 700 which was enough for two pieces of gear, which combined with the Bard Coffer gear pieces and a bow I got off the MB took me up to like mid 80s but that's still not high enough for Odin. I was planning on knocking out the final + quests before moving on with the post 2.0 MSQ stuff (which is how I ran into Odin and the Hard primals), but if it's gonna be a bad grind maybe I'm just better off pushing into the MSQ until I hit post-2.0 vendors that just outright sell that stuff since powercreep is a thing?

On a related note I also snagged the level 50 bow relic quest. I don't really wanna pay 120k to get the bow I need off the MB, so I started leveling a Carpenter lol. I know I can hit up the FC to craft it for me, but I'll give this a go for a while and see if I like it. Botanist at 48 is still pretty straightforward, Carpenter seems a bit more involved.

you should get poetics for every dungeon and trial you do. I remember going into 3.0 worth a full set so you will be collecting them throughout the 2.x content. If you need more you can run your daily roulettes which award bonus tomes the first time you do them each day. If you are super desperate you get 500 for doing MSQDR.

Also please please don't get it in your head that you are going to make any meaningful progress on your relic weapon. You are probably looking 60 to 80 hours of grinding for your first one and that doesn't include the thousands of poetics and hundred thousand GC seals you will eventually need in later parts. I have known multiple people who burned out on the game because they were determined on completing their relic before moving onto HW.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Roulettes. Particularly MSQ, Alliance Raid, regular raid, trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.