• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the difference between someone who just wants control, and someone who wants to be an enabler is pretty obvious when watching how other tanks act when something doesn't go perfectly.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had people roleplay in dungeons before, lol.

Like, if you're going to do it between a group of friends or whatever, or you just have some lame limit break macro text, then fine, sure. But don't make randoms suffer. :x

As for tanking, if the healer says they're new and their gear is on the up-and-up, I'll usually do a Big Boy Pull anyway to see if they can handle it. If they can and the DPS is actually doing damage, I'll keep on going with that pace. Otherwise, I'll apologize, and pull smaller. It's not a big deal, lol. I'll also ready check before the first boss (and last boss, if I see Viewing Cutscenes) as a courtesy.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
just did the expert roulette as scholar to try it out compared to Astr, fun stuff. Surprised the big fairy is only 2min cd, u can use it all the time. Lasts long too. Speaking of tanks, funny moment when the tank dragged the mobs off my sacred soil to get a second group and imediatly went "shit sorry" when he noticed it, which in reality I should have waited for him to have the second group tbh, he took fuck all dmg as it was anyway (it was a warrior), but I thought it was nice of him heh.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I've been frightened too much by some healers that I often start with a baby pull and then see what happens. Sometimes it takes the healer going 'yeah, nah' and running ahead to get the hint for me at least.

On the other hand I only want tanks that do big pulls so I have something to actually do and get to juggle dps/heals.

Anyway I dont know about AST. I've given it a good shot but the fact that most of its DPS and heals sit on the gcd make it less enjoyable to me. All the decison making/weaving seems for the cards which for normal content isnt interesting to me right now cause so much of the roulette content doesnt require you to think much about raid damage optimisation. I'll definitely stick with it though cause it seems like it is really made for the harder content versus WHM/SCH.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
just did the expert roulette as scholar to try it out compared to Astr, fun stuff. Surprised the big fairy is only 2min cd, u can use it all the time. Lasts long too. Speaking of tanks, funny moment when the tank dragged the mobs off my sacred soil to get a second group and imediatly went "shit sorry" when he noticed it, which in reality I should have waited for him to have the second group tbh, he took fuck all dmg as it was anyway (it was a warrior), but I thought it was nice of him heh.

Screw that! You tell the tank where to stand and if they aren't going to listen, you show them by using Fey Union on a DPS and Excog on yourself.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I like MCH. It gives me a headache. There's so much going on and so many different buttons to press. It never slows down.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Screw that! You tell the tank where to stand and if they aren't going to listen, you show them by using Fey Union on a DPS and Excog on yourself.

didnt use excog once >_<

I forgot that existed sigh. I dig the fairy medic beam tho, nice "here you heal now while i do other shit" button. Gonna get white mage up to 70 then to try out the third healer, its getting better now at higher levels, no longer feels like the big no-no it did before.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
didnt use excog once >_<

I forgot that existed sigh. I dig the fairy medic beam tho, nice "here you heal now while i do other shit" button. Gonna get white mage up to 70 then to try out the third healer, its getting better now at higher levels, no longer feels like the big no-no it did before.

Excog is my favorite healing spell. When running with the tank use Recitation and Excog, place your Soil, cast Whispering Dawn then pound the floor a bunch. Art of War doesn't require a target so you can mash it out while keeping the tank as your target so you can quickly throw out a Lustrate when needed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Machinist actually has very few buttons compared to the other DPS classes but is higher APM so it seems really

I was gonna say, MCH to me feels like the Red Mage of physical ranged dps, tis so simple. Most of the time you are just doing the 3 hit combo with weaving in the 2 off GCDs.

when you have drill or/and anchor up, u use them. when you have 50 heat, you do the whole blast->off gcd->blast->off gcd->blast etc /shrug

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
This is my tanking routine when I get pop up that one member is new to the duty. As it takes years to type with controller on PS4 (thanks for all the /say moments in the MSQ where we have to write full sentences) I will do 2 small pulls then after first boss or slightly before start doing larger ones. I watch see how group heals and handles DPS if they not great then I keep to small pulls and slower pace. Still doesn't stop asshole Ninjas running ahead to do own pulls then bring them back and whine in chat I'm tanking to slow after we nearly get wiped. Ninjas always moan about pulls I noticed

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Justin one thing I do like about both the fairy meter and the white mage lilies is that it "forces" you to use those spells instead of hoarding them because you want to fuel the fairy, you want to fuel the blood lily nuke.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Warrior can pretty much self sustain himself in expert dung's, given you know how to map your shit, which is nice as you don't have to care what healer you get. Tho it is funny seeing them spam cure1 on you which pretty much meta to nothing. I've even told at the start to not heal me as I'll heal to full in 2gcds from like zero but come 90% hp and the cure1s come raining...

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
This is my tanking routine when I get pop up that one member is new to the duty. As it takes years to type with controller on PS4 (thanks for all the /say moments in the MSQ where we have to write full sentences) I will do 2 small pulls then after first boss or slightly before start doing larger ones. I watch see how group heals and handles DPS if they not great then I keep to small pulls and slower pace. Still doesn't stop asshole Ninjas running ahead to do own pulls then bring them back and whine in chat I'm tanking to slow after we nearly get wiped. Ninjas always moan about pulls I noticed

The more they have to sit in one place, the less they get to Naruto run.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I do have a habit of jamming Spineshatter just before the tank pulls. It's fun to get the jump on things. Have had healers avoid healing me when I do that in alliance raids haha

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warrior can pretty much self sustain himself in expert dung's, given you know how to map your shit, which is nice as you don't have to care what healer you get. Tho it is funny seeing them spam cure1 on you which pretty much meta to nothing. I've even told at the start to not heal me as I'll heal to full in 2gcds from like zero but come 90% hp and the cure1s come raining...

I think the problem is that there is almost no reason for cure 1 to exist anymore, yet it still sits there as it's own ability. Like it heals for nearly nothing and it's mp perk is near meaningless when mp isn't a massive issue currently. I think it just even still being it's own ability kind of gives off the wrong impression to new players that it will still be useful in some form when it really isn't.

It's kind of like how DRG has Piercing Talon. A new player might be like "oh neat, a ranged ability" when really you should never use that.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most I use Cure 1 for these days is a quick one at the end of a pull, just to make absolutely sure their health will be filled before they hit the next pack.

Even that is super tenuous, since the out of combat health regen is pretty strong. I mostly do it on the tanks that pop sprint and bolt.

They should have had Cure 1 basically become Cure 3. Make it so that if you try to put Cure 1 on your bar it places Cure 3 on it instead.

I don't know about that in particular, because Cure 3's application is massively different, and that would be seen by new players as Cure 3 being a straight upgrade.

I'd rather they ditch Freecure, upping Cure 1's potency a bit in return, and then just have it become Cure 2.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to decide whether to return to this game this week or wait a little longer.

The return of the Moogle grind makes me want to jump back in, but how many new items have they added since the last one? I'd like to use it to level my 60+ jobs, but if it's just running the dumb story dungeons over and over, then eh.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most I use Cure 1 for these days is a quick one at the end of a pull, just to make absolutely sure their health will be filled before they hit the next pack.

Even that is super tenuous, since the out of combat health regen is pretty strong. I mostly do it on the tanks that pop sprint and bolt.

I don't know about that in particular, because Cure 3's application is massively different, and that would be seen by new players as Cure 3 being a straight upgrade.

I'd rather they ditch Freecure, upping Cure 1's potency a bit in return, and then just have it become Cure 2.

Fair enough point.

Makeshift Chef

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've really been enjoying my time with this. I just hit 50 and am still working on msq stuff. I grabbed the lesser panda minion from the moogle event. I love how it perches on my shoulder. How much longer is it supposed to last? I was thinking about running enough dungeons to get one of the mounts. Does anyone know if there's someplace where I can see what each one looks like?

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Man, I've really been enjoying my time with this. I just hit 50 and am still working on msq stuff. I grabbed the lesser panda minion from the moogle event. I love how it perches on my shoulder. How much longer is it supposed to last? I was thinking about running enough dungeons to get one of the mounts. Does anyone know if there's someplace where I can see what each one looks like?

it will last until 5.2 release which doesn't have a date yet but is totally going to be feb 18th.

there isn't a page showing off all the mounts but if you just google the name you should find pictures. I don't think there are any new ones it this batch.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This video goes over everything:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 1 Daily Frontlines from hitting 80 with SMN/SCH so I should hit that immediately tomorrow. Was tempted to push for it for tonight but if I hit 80 I 100% would try to complete the role quests and final job quests which would have lasted too long and it would just make me be an irresponsible adult. Excited to end this portion of my FFXIV journey. I think 1 job per patch might be good for me. Or maybe 2 if I do Dancer/Gunbreaker next.

Last edited:

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since they shortened the cast time on Physick (and I think Cure I too?) it does have some limited usefulness if you want to get a cure out really quick but don't have any instants available.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh baby, feels good when technical finish crits. Just about done with the 4.0 msq, just waiting for this last trial.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Crank up the music! I still do that trial every now and then just to hear the music.
Hell yeah, I knew I was going to be heading into tonight so I was listening to the heavensward trial music at work today. This one had some great music, I remember the early bits but at some point I got so focused that I'm having a hard time remembering it right now. Wiped once and man there were a lot of deaths. I've been watching a guide before every dungeon/fight for multiple reasons, but I was kinda surprised. Second go around was much cleaner though. It was a cool idea having all of those different elemental attacks being at the bosses disposal.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
If things go really bad on a pull and I'm out of AF and such I find that physick》ET》adlo can be pretty useful, especially with a GCD heal boost from dissipation. But if I've got to that point it means something went wrong

For cure 1 I suppose you could weave a tetra or something I dunno

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Piercing talon has its place when you can't reach an enemy due to mechanics. It isn't often, but it's there.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
Just renewed my sub, glad to be back in. Is there an ERA FC? Burned out last time because I missed the social aspect.

EDIT: Fuck me, meant EU ERA FC, sorry folks.

Unfortunately not but there was a cross server linkshell idea thrown about awhile ago that might be worth looking into again or if you let us know what server your on i'm sure someone on here will be on the same one and be able to help

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
And you have just finished your loop, breaking the loop to get few talons off isn't worth it, so in reality this happens very rarely
I use it to get an extra hit in when I'm running around doing mechanics on say go-kart Titan during his spaz phase where trying to hold onto your combo is useless

Status
Not open for further replies.