• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
It's probably my favorite class archetype in concept. Last I played it was in HW, and I loved everything about it, but got intimidated by the sheer speed. I'll pick it up again, thanks for the input! Already got a character design and glam in mind.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone, new here, finally trying FFXIV. Finished the MSQ (the very first one, pre expansions, pre any patch). I'm in love. So expect me lurking here for the foreseeable! Just a question, I'm playing Dragoon, and it's been easy/trivial until now, it's normal right? Is the job that good or is that just old content trivialized to make catching up easier?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Most classes barely have a rotation until you get to about level 60, sometimes even 70. It's definitely a problem.

Dragoon is pretty in demand I think? It's got a few raid buffs and melee limit is always needed. The class is also kind of a meme though because of all the animation locks during jump attacks getting people killed.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone, new here, finally trying FFXIV. Finished the MSQ (the very first one, pre expansions, pre any patch). I'm in love. So expect me lurking here for the foreseeable! Just a question, I'm playing Dragoon, and it's been easy/trivial until now, it's normal right? Is the job that good or is that just old content trivialized to make catching up easier?

Majority of old ARR story content is rather easy and trivial at this point. There are a few outliers but it's rather rare.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say the Poison Ivy instance in 2.4 was the hardest one of the whole 2.0-2.x series.

I have seen more wipes on Aurum Vale and that one Chimera boss in that one dungeon than any other normal level content throughout the whole game. Technically side dungeons but still.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Level 79 and locked by level 80 quests.
So now I'm a time bomb and Ardbert doesn't seem able to help besides glowing a little when he touches me. That's fairly disappointing because the whole bit about people cheering you up and trying to show you what the Exarch knew came up to a whole lot of nothing.

The Tempest seems to be the final area, and so far it's kind of interesting because it's a long lost and forgotten ruin. Forgotten even by fantasy standards. It's not as flashy as Azys La, but I'm enjoying the lore. It's interesting learning more about the ascians and what happened. It's way more interesting than painting them as unknowable fantasy villains, which is how they've been portrayed until now.

The game's difficulty ramps up very, very slowly. Combat-related challenge doesn't become notable until at level 40ish, when some dungeon monsters start hurting more.

Bigger challenges don't come up until 50 and later.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to level up MNK. What're you folks' opinions on MNK in terms of fun?
I'm coming off of WAR, PLD, RDM, BLM and SAM.
After leveling Samurai, I'm finding Monk to be mind-numbingly boring. Moving for positionals is way less exciting and interesting to me than having tons of oGCDs to spend all the time. I don't like the rotation, I don't like trying to keep Greased Lightning stacks up, I don't like having to care about what form I'm in, I don't like how the only consideration about my gauge is "Can I use Forbidden Chakra or not?", I don't like how obnoxious it is to spam Form Shift through a dungeon. I hate it, really. It's the only job in the game I've felt this way about.

I only have 10 more levels to go with it for 80 and I'm looking forward to never touching Monk again until some kind of rework. I'm glad I left it as one of my last few combat jobs to level.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to level up MNK. What're you folks' opinions on MNK in terms of fun?
I loved monk at level 60 (heavensward) because of how active it was. You were always pressing buttons and trying to find ways to optimize damage. There were a lot of buffs and debuffs to juggle, though, and that can either be a pro or a con depending on how you like to play.

I have no idea what they've done with the job since.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I loved monk at level 60 (heavensward) because of how active it was. You were always pressing buttons and trying to find ways to optimize damage. There were a lot of buffs and debuffs to juggle, though, and that can either be a pro or a con depending on how you like to play.

I have no idea what they've done with the job since.
Made TK useless.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking to play a melee job right now I would really strongly recommend Ninja over most of the other options. It unlocks more tools early on thanks to the Jutsu stuff at low levels and for general play you'll find there's just more flexibility to the rotation, timers, and positionals. Really think it's just superbly designed and unique in what it's doing. You also get one of the only job questlines that's great the entire way through.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks to whomever approved my Era FC application the other day (Illysa May is my in game character name, currently lvl 29 Lancer). Hopefully chat to some of you later! Currently playing on PC comfy couch with a controller so it's hard to actually communicate with others, but I have ordered a wireless keyboard so that won't be an issue much longer!

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So, how many new jobs do you guys think we'll get before they start drying up?

They got so many classes to manage and maintain now. I'd like atleast one non magic/tech based healer and a limited job version of Beastmaster thats bascally Pokemans.

Started playing Monk again when I came back about a month ago.

Theres some great weight and animations behind your attacks that are super satisfying and really make you feel powerful.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking to play a melee job right now I would really strongly recommend Ninja over most of the other options. It unlocks more tools early on thanks to the Jutsu stuff at low levels and for general play you'll find there's just more flexibility to the rotation, timers, and positionals. Really think it's just superbly designed and unique in what it's doing. You also get one of the only job questlines that's great the entire way through.

This is a filthy, dirty, lie.

Karasu
never dies, making all quests suck.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, how many new jobs do you guys think we'll get before they start drying up?

Obviously:

7knOpWC.jpg

:(

Not really sure what they can add at this point that would actually fit into the battle system nicely.
Maybe GEO as a limited job, lol.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Obviously:

7knOpWC.jpg

Not really sure what they can add at this point that would actually fit into the battle system nicely.

Man, I remember a video of the PUP reveal way back when from one of the fanfests... the crowd went insane and then the job was just a massive joke for so so long. I still remember trying to do the Pulling the Strings ENM fro attachments, ugh.

I was actually thinking about this earlier today and one of the issues is new jobs need entirely new weapons, don't they? PUP using fist weapons would be an odd issue. I mean they could also use daggers a small bit I think, but Ninjas have those too.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
After posting that FF jobs thread and reading about the ones from each game I think there are a lot of reskins and concepts that are too similar. XIV already combines a lot of them into the existing jobs. I would rather see PUP for example incorporated into the MCH toolkit.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I don't know, I'd rather MCH stay with guns and explosives.

If PUP WERE to happen though, I want to be able to bust out some ridiculous Jojo poses to issue commands. Doing backflips and pulling strings.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously:

7knOpWC.jpg

Beastmaster is my dream job (I want a giant Morbol named Steve) but Puppetmaster would be a pretty fun limited job, especially if they let you use your minions.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
It almost feels they've maxed out on staple Final Fantasy jobs. There's not a lot of choices left distinctly for healing anymore unless they just go for a brand new job entirely.

I don't think they'll do another pet class type job since they can't seem to effectively manage SCH/SMN/MCH pets as it is.

GEO would be hard to work with the way geo's work and the system works.

Rune Fencer could work, but RDM stole the rapier. Time mage is folded into AST.
Highly doubt they'd add another tank so we may just be looking at a healer and some Garlemald based job.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Puppetmaster and Beastmaster are both jobs I'd like to see added but I feel like they fall under the exact same argument they used for why they wouldn't add BLU. If they intend to continue with limited jobs then maybe they show up there.

We know Geomancers are a thing in XIV so maybe they'll show up. Getting them to work would require them to fudge the rules on how Geo's function though.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It almost feels they've maxed out on staple Final Fantasy jobs. There's not a lot of choices left distinctly for healing anymore unless they just go for a brand new job entirely.
Chemist.

You throw glass potions at your allies, they take bleed damage from the glass stuck in their face but the healing covers it.

I don't think they'll do another pet class type job since they can't seem to effectively manage SCH/SMN/MCH pets as it is.
Thats the regular pet classes tho, they could be more loose with a limited job.

Highly doubt they'd add another tank so we may just be looking at a healer and some Garlemald based job.
Just as long as its not another mage healer. I want something really different for the next expansion.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think there is potential in limited jobs if they make them part of duty finder.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chemist should be in so I can dispose of all these potions I don't use.

Man, I remember a video of the PUP reveal way back when from one of the fanfests... the crowd went insane and then the job was just a massive joke for so so long. I still remember trying to do the Pulling the Strings ENM fro attachments, ugh.

I was actually thinking about this earlier today and one of the issues is new jobs need entirely new weapons, don't they? PUP using fist weapons would be an odd issue. I mean they could also use daggers a small bit I think, but Ninjas have those too.

PUP was super cool conceptually, but that was about it at first. After it got some buffs, it's actually pretty good and fun in the right hands, lol.

And that's an issue, yeah. That, and they already have a bunch of the old ideas in, in some way or form. AST is already sort of a Time Mage, MCH has guns, so COR would be a bit superfluous. PUP and BST probably aren't happening (outside of a limited job) because SE doesn't even know what they're doing with SCH and SMN.

Could do GEO, since they're already in the lore, but yeah, they'd probably have to fudge it a bit.

idk, I'm pretty down with the idea of a PUP limited job, but I think I'd prefer they work on improving what they have now. That doesn't sell expansions, though, of course.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Some sort of healer that isn't a caster would be nice. Healer with a melee combo, for example, might be a nice hybrid that people might want to play. As far as DPS goes, it does kinda have to be out there, seems like they have covered most of what's available.

Totally off the wall here, but they should do a mounted class of some sort. That seems different enough that it would be fun.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Some sort of healer that isn't a caster would be nice. Healer with a melee combo, for example, might be a nice hybrid that people might want to play. As far as DPS goes, it does kinda have to be out there, seems like they have covered most of what's available.

Totally off the wall here, but they should do a mounted class of some sort. That seems different enough that it would be fun.
Enjoy all the clipping into the ceiling and walls in Toto-rak and places like that :P

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of wish RDM could switch between using just an effective melee style or spells.

Right now it feels like you just mainly build up a melee combo with the spells and thats it, you go back to casting. If you try to do the regular melee combos, they seem to kind of just suck pretty bad compared to the spells.

I get it though, thats not how the class was designed. The melee and spells are meant to be just together, not as their own seperate skill sets alone.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
What if it's like you have your chemist who mixes potions for different effects on the OGCD similar to how AST does work cards, then has the combined effects/heals on the GCD.

Keep the cast times fast or make them instant for DPS so you can constantly mix like how AST constantly draws cards on ogcd between attacks.

Or something I don't know

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
What if it's like you have your chemist who mixes potions for different effects on the OGCD similar to how AST does work cards, then has the combined effects/heals on the GCD.

Keep the cast times fast or make them instant for DPS so you can constantly mix like how AST constantly draws cards on ogcd between attacks.

sounds like AST/NIN with just a different flavor.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have some sort of healer where all abilities are oGCD, but the abilities play like the gold saucer minigames, lol.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

I'm thinking mechanically it should be like shooting the canon from magitek armor, both for heals and damage. The heal will be slower but maybe there need to be some ability that you can use to auto-aim specific player for a short period.

Status
Not open for further replies.