• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Got Nidhogg in my roulette and forgot how damn good that song and fight is.
The HW music is godtier. I know they used the same melody in like 500 different ways and that got old for some people but I love the theme.

ShB finally overtook HW as best OST for its big fights and more consistent quality, but there will always be a spot in my heart for the nidhogg theme.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just did the Cape Westwind trial and ???????????????????

Why the hell was this an 8 party thing? And why is this the first 8 party thing???? Was there even mechanics to the fight? Dude died in less than a minute.
I love when sprouts post 'first time here, anything I should know?'

My sweet, summer child. Little do you know this will be finished in about 16 seconds.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The HW music is godtier. I know they used the same melody in like 500 different ways and that got old for some people but I love the theme.

ShB finally overtook HW as best OST for its big fights and more consistent quality, but there will always be a spot in my heart for the nidhogg theme.
Agreed, Foundation is still my favourite zone music. But the main theme and dungeon boss theme of ShB are hot fire.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Wait til you finish the game.

Ok beat the game. It was never brought up again lol. I can only guess that it's something that will be explained in the coming patches. I feel like they left me hanging.

Anyway the game was fucking fantastic. I feel like the team can do no wrong at this point. The wait for new patches is gonna be so goddamn awful.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Ok beat the game. It was never brought up again lol. I can only guess that it's something that will be explained in the coming patches. I feel like they left me hanging.

Anyway the game was fucking fantastic. I feel like the team can do no wrong at this point. The wait for new patches is gonna be so goddamn awful.
It was brought up. We talked about it in the spoiler thread

Oct 26, 2017
Me: "Only played game 2 months in the past. Got to level 35. It's been 2 years. But I'm not going to be overwhelmed like some noob."

-Re-subscribes for a month and logs in-
giphy.gif

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Question, how's the performance with the latest content on the PS4Pro?

I want to get back into the game, but I don't have any means of playing it (was pretty much forced to stop mid-way through the base Stormblood content) and have been thinking of picking up a used Pro cheap by the end of summer to get back in and catch up on the story.

Is it possible to do big fancy end content or just the big alliance raids at a smooth framerate?

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Question, how's the performance with the latest content on the PS4Pro?

I want to get back into the game, but I don't have any means of playing it (was pretty much forced to stop mid-way through the base Stormblood content) and have been thinking of picking up a used Pro cheap by the end of summer to get back in and catch up on the story.

Is it possible to do big fancy end content or just the big alliance raids at a smooth framerate?

Everything is as smooth as Alphinaud's rosy baby cheeks. The only time I have a tiny bit of drop is when entering a specific city in the expansion because it's BURSTING with people, but that might be much more on my connection than the game.

For the rest of the content, tho, consistently playing at 60fps as far as I can tell.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to start the trial edition. Currently playing WoW 8.2 but the hype was too much so juggling both.

Went Pugulist for Monk and I am currently level 18. It's actually not as bad as I was expecting from the comments about early levels and MSQs. Been basically skipping the story so far though until I hear about 35.

One question: How long does it take to level other jobs, a bit panicked about my Monk pick although I think Samurai starts at 50?

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Decided to start the trial edition. Currently playing WoW 8.2 but the hype was too much so juggling both.

Went Pugulist for Monk and I am currently level 18. It's actually not as bad as I was expecting from the comments about early levels and MSQs. Been basically skipping the story so far though until I hear about 35.

One question: How long does it take to level other jobs, a bit panicked about my Monk pick although I think Samurai starts at 50?
You get a 100% XP bonus for any job lower than your highest one, so it's pretty quick if you're trying something new. Getting MNK to 50 and then going SAM won't trigger this since 50 is still your highest level.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Leveling secondary jobs is faster because you get an armory xp bonus for having a 50 character, then 100% if you have a 60 to all xp from dunegons for jobs that are Lower than your highest one. So doing the best level appropriate dunegon means you will be flying through levels.

You can play palace of the dead to try jobs up to level 60 to see if you like them.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Hit Level 70 BLM today, getting ready to finish up Stormblood and move into Shadowbringers in the next few days. The zone themes in StB have been my favorite overall by far, especially Yanxia and The Azime Steppe.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Hit 2% Enrage on Titania EX cause a few people died. Will clear it tomorrow and it's a really fun fight, imo.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
I did my best to hold out but I'm jumping into the game next week when I get home to my PS4.

The Complete Edition the way to go? That includes the most current release right?

I found hotbar swapping on the controller cumbersome when I last played a few years ago. Any recommendations for keyboard/mouse that would be compatible with a PS4?

Finally... any recommended realm or data center? I figure population is booming due to new release, but I'm always worried about winding up on a dead server when I dive into MMOs.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Finally... any recommended realm or data center? I figure population is booming due to new release, but I'm always worried about winding up on a dead server when I dive into MMOs.
I played Vanilla WoW on a dead server and it was awful, I have no fond memories of it whatsoever. The only other people I ever saw were Level 60 AFKs in Ironforge.

I have been absolutely overjoyed seeing all the people on Ultros.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
I played Vanilla WoW on a dead server and it was awful, I have no fond memories of it whatsoever. The only other people I ever saw were Level 60 AFKs in Ironforge.

I have been absolutely overjoyed seeing all the people on Ultros.

I remember those days. WoW on a dead realm really made an impression on me. But I didn't know any better at the time.

Thanks for the tip on Ultros.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I remember those days. WoW on a dead realm really made an impression on me. But I didn't know any better at the time.

Thanks for the tip on Ultros.

You can't actually get on Ultros right now. It's congested world (no new characters). If you want to join any world on Primal you will have to wait until non-peak hours. Crystal seems fairly open at the moment, though on the weekends basically no NA Data Central was open to new characters (as stupid as that sounds).

Lamia has been pretty great so far.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I played FFXIV 2.0 for around 11 months when it released, had a really good time. Quit a bit in advance of Heavensward, and despite hearing good things, I wasn't in a place to jump back in, so I didn't.

But everyone is talking about Shadowbringers like holy fuck, so...

...first off. I got a free copy of Heavensward a few months back. Is it good? Moreover, if I attempt to complete it, will I find able and willing souls to help me do so? (I am not on Ultros, it should be mentioned...it seems as though a transfer will cost me $18.) I don't even know if I'm near the end of MSQ 2.0; I have vague memories of fighting a scary armor man voiced by Richard Epcar in a fight with a shitton of lasers.

Or should I jump ahead to Shadowbringers?

I'm also a Dragoon and I remember being kind of a weaker job (or was it class?) so maybe I should consider upping one of the new ones. It might be tough for me to pick up Dragoon because I absolutely forget fucking everything about the job, and I won't have the first 50 levels to "learn" it, so maybe I should pick something else...but I remember 1-50 taking a not insignificant amount of time and the MSQ really helping, so how slow is it to bring something else up?

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017

...first off. I got a free copy of Heavensward a few months back. Is it good? Moreover, if I attempt to complete it, will I find able and willing souls to help me do so? (I am not on Ultros, it should be mentioned...it seems as though a transfer will cost me $18.) I don't even know if I'm near the end of MSQ 2.0; I have vague memories of fighting a scary armor man voiced by Richard Epcar in a fight with a shitton of lasers.

People are always running older content because of the Duty Roulette. I haven't had a single issue running stuff from ARR. As Tank or DPS. Most I've had to wait was like 10 minutes (which can obviously be filled by doing any of the other millions of things to do).

As far as getting to Shadowbringers... I was led to believe you had to clear all older content to access new expansions. Though I think there are skip items?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Okay. I played FFXIV 2.0 for around 11 months when it released, had a really good time. Quit a bit in advance of Heavensward, and despite hearing good things, I wasn't in a place to jump back in, so I didn't.

I'm also a Dragoon and I remember being kind of a weaker job (or was it class?) so maybe I should consider upping one of the new ones. It might be tough for me to pick up Dragoon because I absolutely forget fucking everything about the job, and I won't have the first 50 levels to "learn" it, so maybe I should pick something else...but I remember 1-50 taking a not insignificant amount of time and the MSQ really helping, so how slow is it to bring something else up?

I'd say you're fine with Dragoon. It plays incredibly well in 5.0. The thing that helped me jump back in was clearing all your bars then putting things back on and reading all the tips as you go. Dragoon is really just alternating between two combos and doing jumps doing the cooldowns. You'll pick it back up much quicker than you think!

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

To answer the question of is Heavensward good -- It was lauded as the best part of FFXIV until Shadowbringers came out. It's fantastic.
Stormblood (which is between the two) is also very good, but doesn't hit the same highs as either HW or ShB.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say you're fine with Dragoon. It plays incredibly well in 5.0. The thing that helped me jump back in was clearing all your bars then putting things back on and reading all the tips as you go. Dragoon is really just alternating between two combos and doing jumps doing the cooldowns. You'll pick it back up much quicker than you think!
Thanks! I'll definitely go through Heavensward, then. I did hear very good things about it.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Finally after a sleepless night, cleared Titania EX. My whole party hadn't cleared, so it was really hype when we made it. Our clear we got Titania to 45% before adds, lowest I saw all night

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Leveling NIN now that I've finished getting DRK up. It's such a mixed bag. TCJ not costing ninki feels awesome. Ration being better than Fuma feels awful. Meisui sounds terrifying. And this is dumb since this is how it originally was IIRC, but I'm having trouble remembering that spinning edge is a 2-hit combo now, so I keep using it and losing an Aeolian and the DoT.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

Hey-o, Feep. I remember raiding in Coil with you. Honestly the game's story took a huge jump in quality after Heavensward. Go back and witness it!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Finally after a sleepless night, cleared Titania EX. My whole party hadn't cleared, so it was really hype when we made it. Our clear we got Titania to 45% before adds, lowest I saw all night

How much harder is Titania EX then Innocence EX?

Also does Titania EX drop the weapons outright or do you need to get totems?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I beat A Realm Reborn 2.0! What a flashy finale. I do wish the bosses weren't basically instamelted by everybody lol.

Really enjoyed my time with this content, no where near the best FF has been but enjoyable. Played a Bard and had a good time with it, will probably stick with it going on from here. I like the Scions a lot when I actually got the time to spend with them. And the goddamn music, so damn good. Definitely continuing on with the game.

Now let me ask this, how rough is raid content? Do I need to research videos on encounters before attempting them? I would like to see Binding Coil and Crystal Tower. Also is it easy to get groups? Are there raid finders or is it a LFG thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.