• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I personally feel I would be a whole lot less invested in basically anything in the game if I had skipped large portions of it.
There is so much this game builds on in it's stories. So many characters you haven't seen for like 3 years and suddenly they show up again.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, i am really tempted by FFXIV for how much its story is praised, but i want to solo it as i don't like multiplayer games. Is it feasible?
How long would it take to play all the "main" story beats from ARR to Shadowbringers?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
2 - 300 hours I suppose, and I think that's being optimistic
That's not even counting queuing waiting times

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
If you start a job with basically 65% of the level done, then why would you play the game?

Same for the story. Can the new player experience be improved? Yeah. But the solution is not removing 2.x, but removing some of the padding between quests and removing some of the quests between 2.x and 3.0.

If you are annoyed when doing low-level duties, you can just unsync.

PD: Besides there are already services for that. Go to Mogstation and you can buy potions to skip story and level characters. But why play the game if you aren't going to play the game?
Probably the bad reputation of ARR isn't helping. They can also watch the cutscenes if the skip right? Or just YouTube the story to get an idea of what is happening.

Another thing is maybe they don't play much and with this game being sub only, they might stop playing cause the story or combat is too slow for the at early levels and just want to get to the good part.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey guys, i am really tempted by FFXIV for how much its story is praised, but i want to solo it as i don't like multiplayer games. Is it feasible?
How long would it take to play all the "main" story beats from ARR to Shadowbringers?
The only times the game ever forces you to group up is when you gotta do "Trials" which are big bossfights and the dungeons for the story.
In those times, the most people usually talk is a quick "hi" at the start and then a "gg" at the end unless things go wrong.
if you just write "Hi all, this is my first time here" people will understand and if something doesn't work out, they will tell you what to do.
First time players btw are good to have in a party cause you actually get a nice bonus for playing with them, so usually everyone is very welcoming. You can of course run into the occasional ass, but over my 6 years in this game, those moments were few and far between and you can always just find another group with the matchmaking.

Personally, before Shadowbringers, most of my playtime was as a solo player cause my friends weren't really playing at the time and if there is one MMO that works great as a solo game, then it is FF14.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You have to do some stuff with people, there are main story quests that are dungeons and trials. Granted these are typically very easy, at least to the point I've gotten, so you can effectively just not communicate if you want.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from dungeon duties, which you simply queue for and will be thrown in with other people, yes. You don't really have to talk to them though or interact with them. The community in this game is probably one of the nicest I've ever seen for 'hardcore' gaming circles tbh. Most people understand and at worst you just say 'first time' and nobody will possibly care.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
90% of the main story is solo, the exception being dungeons and trials you run, but there's a matchmaking system for those and they're designed to be easily puggable.

As for how long... quite a while. FFXIV is heavily story-based, so couple hundred hours maybe if you don't rush it?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
My gunbreaker is within sniffing distance of 70, I've got all of the Scaevan gear lined up and ready to go, looking forward to starting Shadowbringers in earnest tomorrow!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I should stop playing FFXIV during the day- everytime I start a dungeon someone coincidentally wants to talk to me so I look like an asshole being unable to stop.

Just like my WoW days, can only play after midnight >_>

"You don't understand, I can't pause right now!"

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
I wanna get into an MMORPG so bad, Tried ESO and didn't get into it much and tried FFXIV back in launch is it too late to return to it?.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"You don't understand! It's online >_<!!!"

"You're addicted to video games!"
"The phone isn't working. It's because of your online games. You broke the phone. No more games for you!"

I wanna get into an MMORPG so bad, Tried ESO and didn't get into it much and tried FFXIV back in launch is it too late to return to it?.

never too late cause you can't really miss anything. basically the later you join, the more insane amount of content you have to play with

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Not really, I used to worry that there's no one to do the lower level dungeons with but there are systems in placed that incentivize players to help out in the lower dungeons.

And because the expansion just came out, this is as large of a population as it gets.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's not too late but the barrier of entry is really high at this point so I don't recommend it for casual players.

I would say it isn't too bad aslong as you are fine with it taking weeks to months reaching the current "endgame". I would just treat it like a single-player Final Fantasy game if you want to return, don't think about catching up, don't think about reaching the max-level, just sit back and enjoy the story that eventually builds up into one of the greatest stories ever made with ocassional multiplayer sprinkled inbetween.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia

It's never too late to join an MMO. Just take it at your own pace and don't feel like you have to rush to "catch up" to everyone else. Enjoying and taking in the ride is actually one of the biggest parts of FF14. Hope you like it!

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Also do be aware that maybe waiting a bit might make the start smoother because the devs did say that they might be able to "streamline" the starting quests and such in the 5.1 patch which should drop around October

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Everything is as smooth as Alphinaud's rosy baby cheeks. The only time I have a tiny bit of drop is when entering a specific city in the expansion because it's BURSTING with people, but that might be much more on my connection than the game.

For the rest of the content, tho, consistently playing at 60fps as far as I can tell.
Ha, I like the sound of that! Thanks!

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished playing the whole Stormblood expansions and man what a ride. The epic battle at the end has to be my favourite so far in this game and the Ghymlyt Dark is one of the best dungeons in the game.

Can't wait to see where Shadowbringers will take us. If the hype is to be believed, then this will surely be a ride.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As DNC do I want to save feathers for the Technical Finish burst phase? I've generally used feathers as I've gotten them in dungeons, which feels less clunky to me, but I imagine that's not optimal.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just hopped in about 2 weeks ago, it's a great time to jump in! High server populations, tons of stuff to do, and as someone else mentioned the game makes sure content of all levels is always being played. Just go for it!

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I would actually argue that one of THE most important decisions that the FF14 team made that has directly contributed to the game being a success was the decision to never let content become "dead content". You literally find groups in minutes (sometimes faster) for content that at this point is 6 years old without a hassle and both the new AND the veteran players benefit from doing it.

it was a genius decision.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have any views on max level bard? I miss the skills they've cut and the new ones don't seem that appealing...

The developers have literally stated that the English localization has encouraged them to improve and add flavor to the Japanese version. The excellent localization has made the game better in every region, there's really no debating that.

Eh I don't really want to rehash this 'localisation' vs translation debate again. It's been too many times already. Only thing I will say is it's stupid and jarring to have the characters speaking what's obviously a completely different script to the dialogue that's shown in the speech bubble. I don't even speak Japanese and easily apparent.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
I would actually argue that one of THE most important decisions that the FF14 team made that has directly contributed to the game being a success was the decision to never let content become "dead content". You literally find groups in minutes (sometimes faster) for content that at this point is 6 years old without a hassle and both the new AND the veteran players benefit from doing it.

it was a genius decision.
As tedious as I find doing lower level content with certain classes I definitely agree with this, it's infinitely better than seeing it once while levelling and then never again (ala WoW).

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
As DNC do I want to save feathers for the Technical Finish burst phase? I've generally used feathers as I've gotten them in dungeons, which feels less clunky to me, but I imagine that's not optimal.
You do want to pool ressources for buffs, same as every class who can pretty much. It's not so bad if you're 72+ and have Flourish to generate a fair bit more feathers. You still end up using any surplus until your next buff window, so once you reach 3, you just use any additional one you get, but it does make the gameplay a bit more boring during that period(and the burst period more hectic). It's not nearly as important for dungeons, and really using them in big aoe pulls even without buffs is going to be better than using them for bosses during buffs. After all a Fan Dance 2 hitting 7-8mobs does 100potency per mob, no way having a few more buffs on 150potency fan dance gets anywhere close.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
can we talk about how much I've gotten Azys Lla's music into my head

It's my favorite piece from Heavensward. Sometimes I fly through the area just to listen to the music. You should hear the piano arrangements on YouTube.

Stormblood has it beat. The Lochs and Yanxia at night are my favorites.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Rabanastre

bvkZUpV.png

Yes! I nearly freaked out when I realized the Rabanastre Samurai/Monk gear was the FFT female Samurai look. I wore that for a long time.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'm almost FINALLY getting to Doma in Stormblood... oh, the day I reach Shadowbringers. Hopefully in a few weeks I can have the expansion already!

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Another night of Titania EX failures and I think I'm going to switch over to Innocence EX.

The constant problem I've been seeing with all of the groups is the dps being unable to output the dps required to get pass the add phase or they simply can't stay alive/dodge aoes so most wipes left the healers and tanks still alive. Obviously we healers can't help significantly during the big add phase because too much damage is coming out. Now before you NO HEALER SCOPE 420 raider healers come out and say you can totally help dps during that, these are pug groups. Which means it is more important I keep these untrustworthy people or be ready to heal in a moment rather than put out my petty dps compared to their's during a phase they are clearly having trouble with.

I'm not going to pretend like I didn't make mistakes, I fucked up a couple of times during the pushback part of the big add phase but it didn't matter because 3 other dps had a habit of dying during that too which is a fail regardless of me staying alive.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Stepping back into this game at 35 and I just started plowing into main stories. I went through 5 of them, and level up 0 times. And now the next main quest needs me to be level 36. Kind of crazy that so many main story quests give such a tiny amount of XP? So, what the heck do I do now to get XP? All my other missions are about 5 levels beneath me, so surely not worth it.

Leveling Roulette one time a day, Palace Of The Dead, Hunting Log, spamming the highest level dungeon available to you.

The consensus is that Palace Of The Dead is the fastest venue.

YellowMustard

Banned
Jul 2, 2019
The community so far has been awful. Every dungeon roulette is a shit talking contest. Honestly makes me want to quit the game.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
PoTD is the fastest way to level up but I usually just do dungeon runs as I find it more enjoyable. I'm looking forward to trying out the trust system. I've always been a tank (warrior) main and never felt overly confident of comfortable doing DPS jobs in groups and also being a tank I generally never wait longer than 5 mins for anything. This will be a fun chill way to have fun with my other "throw away" jobs on the side without any pressure or to gain enough practice and confidence with them to test them out for real.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Was super frustrated last night. I'll dive back in tonight with suggestions and see if I can make a dent.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The Ronkan gear is fucking ugly. I'm gonna have to put my WHM AF gear in the glamour dresser. I hope Eden gear is better, not that I'll get past the accessories.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
The community so far has been awful. Every dungeon roulette is a shit talking contest. Honestly makes me want to quit the game.

You must be getting some bad luck. Or the influx of new players is dirtying up the pool. The xiv community is one the nicest and most accepting communities. Of course, there are some bad apples, but the good outweigh the bad by a ton. Mostly though, dungeons are pretty quiet. If you speak up and say you are new, the veteran players are usually very helpful. Are you new? Maybe you are getting paired with other brand new players who just like to talk shit. Idk but I'm sorry you've been experiencing this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Healer starts bashing DPS for not knowing the fight. Calls me out for defending them. The game has been out less than a month. My ban list is getting full.

In my experience duty roulettes tend to be pretty quiet because it's a total crapshoot AND you're typically paired with people whose stats are comparatively way higher than they were when said roulette content was new.

Most people understand that there are enough dungeons and trials in the game that expecting every player to have every single one memorized (even YEARS after they became irrelevant) is kind of silly.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
OH shit they added the glam I wanted, a jacket. A cool jacket with a scarff yes yes, what is this called do I ge....

Oh its deciple of the land gear gonna go cry now

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Healer starts bashing DPS for not knowing the fight. Calls me out for defending them. The game has been out less than a month. My ban list is getting full.

It was a dungeon? Honestly, I doubt there's a dungeon that requires more than a basic knowledge of common mechanics. Some bosses has specific mechanics but they mostly make the fight a bit harder or annoying.

And for normal trials... Eh you don't really need to know the fight most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.