• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
If you're making the party there's zero reason to opt for something worse, and the difference isn't intangible. The averages impact the broader playerbase. It's not like nothing can be done on NIN but why bring it if you don't have to? A lack of hard DPS checks doesn't elevate underperformers.
This would make sense except for the fact that you have no idea what quality of player you're getting unless you check FFLogs for everyone that joins. And if you're doing that, you're going to know whether that NIN is better than the SAM anyway.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
This would make sense except for the fact that you have no idea what quality of player you're getting unless you check FFLogs for everyone that joins. And if you're doing that, you're going to know whether that NIN is better than the SAM anyway.
Statistically the average SAM does more than the average NIN. That's the math. Dunno what to tell you.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
So it just hit me the other day, in the next expansion unless things change, the new jobs won't have any story to them beyond an initial unlock quest here is your weapon, the end.

I really hope they roll back on this and job quests come back next expansion. Especially crafting/gathering job quests. Since they don't even get a short 5 min lvl.80 quest wrapping up previous plotlines like the battle jobs do.
I doubt they're ever going back to questlines for existing jobs and we'll probably stick with role quests going forward with a new job quest at the cap.

That being said I'd suspect they'll still give any new jobs a small questline.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I think a lot of people purchased the level 70 skip and don't know a damn thing about how to play their class or even the MMO basics that this game goes out its way to explain.

The amount of people that fail to check stack markers or healers that focus more on damage than healing is staggering right now.

yeah, i've been noticing almost every boss or trial roulette, several people have no idea what the STACK MARKER is for. the same mechanic that's been around for YEARS. it's really infuriating how much those skip potions are ruining the entire game experience.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're making the party there's zero reason to opt for something worse, and the difference isn't intangible. The averages impact the broader playerbase. It's not like nothing can be done on NIN but why bring it if you don't have to? A lack of hard DPS checks doesn't elevate underperformers.
And quite frankly if you're one of the people checking FF logs for clear parties for EX roulettes, you're probably a bellend anyway.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know why this went into healers shouldn't DPS, that's not what I was talking about, when no healing needed I'm spamming my one button attack while keeping my dot, but despite all that I still can't cross the 3k mark, so no, I'm DPSing, just deemed not enough by the community.

I also found out yesterday that there is no way to check how you are doing on PS4 unless you pray someone in your party is on PC and uploading logs, so this is such a great situation to be in.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Team composition only really trully matters for Savage and Ultimate. Purely because that's content where you get players with somewhat consistent skill level. Anything below and you are tapping into a player pool with skill levels so unpreditable, I'd imagine team composition would be comparatively neglible.

exactly. i've seen plenty of lvl 70-80 BLMs who have low DPS because they're always running around and not casting. huge loss of DPS, hardly "top tier".

scy

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i've been noticing almost every boss or trial roulette, several people have no idea what the STACK MARKER is for. the same mechanic that's been around for YEARS. it's really infuriating how much those skip potions are ruining the entire game experience.

Let's be realistic. This was a problem even before the skips.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In EX it happens that I get the marker and I see that the party is scrambling so I just say "fuck it I'll just jump to my death and take the marker down with me" lol

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why this went into healers shouldn't DPS, that's not what I was talking about, when no healing needed I'm spamming my one button attack while keeping my dot, but despite all that I still can't cross the 3k mark, so no, I'm DPSing, just deemed not enough by the community.

I've been in enough groups to know that 3k from a healer in PUG content is a blessing compared to sitting there at full mp waiting for any sort of damage like I see far too often. So know that those people are wrong.

When you get into raid content, 3k depending on the job can be considered low. Especially because the fights are tuned around gear level that is inaccessible for the first few weeks unless everyone is playing at an above average level. That means mean you may be spending more GCD healing than necessary in which case optimization comes into play. It takes a little bit of practice in a fight before you know there is no point in keeping people completely topped off for the next minute and that it can wait for that cooldown to come back, let Regens not be wasted and tick people back up slowly, have a single Target ogcd for the tank buster, etc. With how many tools they've given healers, it's crazy how little we need to cast actual heals.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Seen some comments about how much of an afterthought those lv80 job quests are but I found the quest for SCH rather sweet
Finding the cure for the sickness that took over that ancient civilization that turned them into Tonberries has been the focus point of the SCH storyline. And on that quest you finally find the cure and even restore one of the tonberries to their original form.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention AST dps is so pathetically low that if you need your AST to be dpsing more to make an encounter go quicker you should actually be having a talk with your dps players.
AST are doing 5k+ just fine atm. That's half the dps of a melee, that contributes to shorter fights by quite a bit

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
They could simply have had trainers in the First. Some breadcrumb quest from current trainer to the First and go. Same way they did many of the HW Ishgard quests. Like "Oh Pyros you're such a great Monk, I don't have much left to teach you, you should find another master that practices another school of combat to improve even further" > Go to Crystarium and investigate to see if anyone knows of a cool Monk > random Hume "Oh yeah I've heard the legends of some hermit living on that Lakeland island thing" > new quests start. Some might be a rough fit, but most would work pretty decently. If it's a problem, just "something something the job stone calls to you, you sense something coming from the First".

Main annoyance for me was that the 80 quests were REALLY lazy. Like they didn't put an ounce of effort into them. The Dancer one was cool because of how it's done, but the others I've done have been all sorts of terrible. Also in a bunch you just kinda drop the whole "yeah btw I was in another world" and everyone's like *shrug* cool story bro. Like hello, it was another world?

Yeah, when Shadowbringers launched, people tried to rest my fears of no Job Quests by saying "Well the developers say the lvl.80 quests are as long as a full set of 4-5 previous job quests put together into one quest", but then I did the DRK lvl.80 one and it's like 5 mins, and no battle instances, no twists and turns, and is just like a nice little epilogue to "goodbye job quests, you were a good thing while you lasted"

And again, it's pretty lame that they didn't even put the minimal effort to do the same thing for the crafting/gathering job quests. There are NPC story characters still chilling in Kugane because that's where the last quest left them like Armorer. Would've at least like a 5 min epilogue like the battle jobs got.

The role quests are not a good replacement at all since they're never specific to your character since you could be one of 3 or so and just about some new character's story that you watch. Especially coming from DRK storyline this was a big step down. I haven't done Fishing though, so maybe that's more like a normal Fishing job storyline since there's no other jobs that can share that role.

I feel like a lot of stuff in this expansion was sacrificed to "focus on the MSQ story above all else" and /shrug don't think it was worth it even if it was a good MSQ. FFXIV's always been about the multitude of interesting stories to experience besides the MSQ and this feels missing that to a degree.

I'm hoping they get enough complaints that they go "we just didn't put job quests in because you were on the First in 5.0, now that you're back, job quests are back in 6.0 to continue the stories"

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Main annoyance for me was that the 80 quests were REALLY lazy. Like they didn't put an ounce of effort into them. The Dancer one was cool because of how it's done, but the others I've done have been all sorts of terrible. Also in a bunch you just kinda drop the whole "yeah btw I was in another world" and everyone's like *shrug* cool story bro. Like hello, it was another world?
Well Black Mage and Scholar definitely moved some shit forward and those 80 quest were good. Summoners despite liking the whole story was pretty meh though.

Oct 25, 2017
Really if we're going off average performance in the lower half of the performance stats, you should be targeting BLMs and Machinists, because they do more at the low-end than monk or SAM. Really, if you're doing anything other than 4x BLM you're not locking your party to what gives you the highest damage potential per slot, so there's obviously some sliding scale of import here.

I think the sort of lynchpin is that player performance has to be so bad for enrage to be an issue that job impact just doesn't register.

I joined a clear party last week and when we eventually cleared, the damage spread looked like this:
9a34915b1047b6a96249aa8a147572e0.png
None of the top four jobs and all DPS were heavily underperforming. Still a clear, because the bar is so crazy low.

I just can't think of a situation where the assumed risk of taking a NIN is such a detriment to party ability to clear it's worth sitting in PF longer; if they're so bad they render it unclearable, you just rep them. But if they're really sandbagging that hard, they'd probably be sandbagging on another job as well and you'd be better served just swapping them out for their play than preguessing based on job.

Because there's a strain of healers who object to having to DPS and it always comes up when discussing DPS expectations because some people want it to be zero.

Like, in all seriousness-- you're new at this, and AST is the worst healer at doing personal damage. You're going to have a learning curve. Someone earlier suggested posting your logs on The Balance for critique, but I'd just suggest sort of looking in to how people play the job use it to do damage. 3k is low because it shouldn't be too hard to reach--Combust ticks + earthly star exploding should give you 700 or so DPS before you throw in Malefic, and if Malefic is coming in at 10-12k per cast, even at the lowest end you're looking at less than 15 Malefics a minute to come in around 3k. With ~24 GCDs per minute, that leaves like 9 GCDs each minute to heal, which seems like a ton. This is all super rushed math and assuming the worst, but given how few GCDs are usually spent on healing, 3k should be reachable.

It sucks that the game gives zero feedback to PS4 players. It makes it harder for console players to figure out what they're doing. But if you're motivated to work on it, that's like half of it. The other is just grinding stuff out, doing the background work, figuring out where you're under-utilizing oGCDs, whatever.

In my experience, people will be a lot more willing to work with you if you're obviously trying and struggling. There are a lot of people who don't try, and there'll be a group that immediately assumes that's you and judges you for it, but seriously just putting in effort or asking questions will let people know your current performance is more about experience so far than just checking out once hp bars are full.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Seen some comments about how much of an afterthought those lv80 job quests are but I found the quest for SCH rather sweet
Finding the cure for the sickness that took over that ancient civilization that turned them into Tonberries has been the focus point of the SCH storyline. And on that quest you finally find the cure and even restore one of the tonberries to their original form.

That one is nice, as is the DRK one but the MCH and SMN ones (and I guess SAM) are just weird afterthoughts.

Like the MCH one is
You go see what Hilda and the other girl are doing, they are trying to be better MCH teachers, MCH man says "hey, how about we inspire them but try not to be obvious?" You do it and they see you and catch on to your plan but are still inspired anyway. The End.

Like, it's just a big massive nothing. And I don't even remember what the SMN one was.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I also found out yesterday that there is no way to check how you are doing on PS4 unless you pray someone in your party is on PC and uploading logs, so this is such a great situation to be in.
blame bad players and how Yoshi doesn't want them called out.

but yeah like ExtremelyBitter said, just practice. Get used to relying on Star to do most of your healing (In the current ex fights, as AST you do not need to cast a single GCD heal). Use all of your tools,so you should be aiming for 30+ cpm as an AST as well. I still do think posting logs in the balance can be super helpful if you are unsure of why you are doing so little dps. There are always obvious checks you can make when looking at logs, namely cpm, and overheal, then also seeing how many GCD heals you used.

This is how some healing looks like for me on Titania

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/JG1qKjD942Nr7pYh#fight=1&type=healing&source=5 (the overheal on star was cuz my SCH cohealer loved to spam succor)
and then for Inno
(again gotta love pug healers that love healing over my stars)

Also keep in mind, that I'm not great, and you can find way better players to look at for an example.

Last edited:

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Well Black Mage and Scholar definitely moved some shit forward and those 80 quest were good. Summoners despite liking the whole story was pretty meh though.
Yeah probably just the ones I've done then, I haven't done everything that hit 80. PLD was awful(and not just the story but the way it's done too), MNK was whatever although it had a slightly interesting character in it, DNC was ok because of how it's done but really doesn't add anything(then again the DNC job quests were pretty bad to begin with so eh). I should probably do SCH/BLM since I have these too, just after these 3 I didn't bother doing the others.

The role quests were nice but don't really replace class quests. I guess it does take some effort since they keep adding classes but honestly that's definitely worth it even if they have to cut like 30% of the sidequests and something else, job quests were always kind of a highlight of the leveling experience, although many of them sucked it was still interesting to see.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What job quest? I'm not seeing anything and I leveled GNB and MNK?

edit: Ah I have to complete the role quest lol

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Man Red Mage feels SMOOTH I can see it getting stale after awhile but thats mostly because of how easy it is to use. I like it a lot seems like a great class for progression.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
73 Gunbreaker now and I'm really enjoying this tank. Fated circle spam is fun and I like that they have lengthy combos.

Oct 25, 2017
I still do think posting logs in the balance can be super helpful if you are unsure of why you are doing so little dps. There are always obvious checks you can make when looking at logs, namely cpm, and overheal, then also seeing how many GCD heals you used.

I didn't mean to say that such a thing couldn't be helpful, because it totally can, but it can also be sort of intimidating when you're new to walk into a room of strangers and be like "why am I bad at video games?"; especially when you're starting out and the feedback is probably going to be push buttons/roll your GCD.

+it's compounded by the PS4 player problem where you don't even necessarily have a 'good' run to link if all that got uploaded were memes.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mean to say that such a thing couldn't be helpful, because it totally can, but it can also be sort of intimidating when you're new to walk into a room of strangers and be like "why am I bad at video games?"; especially when you're starting out and the feedback is probably going to be push buttons/roll your GCD.

+it's compounded by the PS4 player problem where you don't even necessarily have a 'good' run to link if all that got uploaded were memes.
Yeah being a PS4 player is legit disadvantage when it comes to optimization and doing higher end content. It's even worse that they know parsers are virtually required for world first prog and ultimate, yet they choose to not allow addons solely because they don't want bad players getting called out for being bad.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Man Red Mage feels SMOOTH I can see it getting stale after awhile but thats mostly because of how easy it is to use. I like it a lot seems like a great class for progression.

It 100% is. It's the least, focused on the hot bar, job in the game for me by far since you are basically only looking for one type of proc after your 2 step combo. It makes it so you can focus on mechanics and situational awareness much more.

I loved it at first in SB because the kit was basically complete at 50 and all through leveling, then turned on it a for more complex and satisfying jobs to carry out, but then returned to it hardcore when eureka launched and how exhausting it can be do play any other dps job optimally for such extended periods of time. The same was true when it came time to farm primals for mounts. You can contribute best in job dps easily and still be there to save runs when people die. I saved so many shinryu runs with insta Rez the healers probably didn't notice someone died.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People in pre-made parties can't commend each other. If it was a 4 man duty and you got all the comms as a DPS, the other three people were probably in a party
Naw. They were so amazed and awed by my high dps while dodging skill shots that they all gave me commendations and stood up and clapped.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hold on, this is the literal end of job quest? I just did GNB's job quest and that pretty much screams "THE END" for me?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The Simpson's joke reference in Kugane genuinely made me laugh out loud. I 100% did not expect that.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I've been healing in this game almost since ARR launch and I'm still not super great on dps. Honestly If I can hit around 50-60th percentile on fflogs for a savage fight I'm pretty satisfied. And I don't always do that! That might make me bad but whatever, my group is clearing the fights. As you play and get more practice you'll get a feel for the healing downtimes where you can be dps'ing- and this goes for individual battles as well. Our group's first clear I always have low dps as I'm being more cautious with GCD heals to make sure everyone stays alive. As long as I know we can clear before the enrage I'm not going to go balls to the wall on dps- my focus is more on mechanics and where healing is necessary. But as we get more practice on a fight I get better on picking out the gaps for dps, and where an ogcd heal or regen is enough, etc. The other good thing about my group is that my cohealer is all about that high dps/low heals life so we balance each other out nicely.

For parsing, try to join a group/find a friend who can parse your runs and post them on fflogs. Hell if you are on Primal and want to do some Titania hit me up (Tomo Takino on Ultros), I still need 5 more totems.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
And quite frankly if you're one of the people checking FF logs for clear parties for EX roulettes, you're probably a bellend anyway.

This is actually something incredibly reliable. The children that apply weird 1% meta to rest of the game like it even remotely matters there are usually the bad kinda players anyway. It's kinda like people that pick "top tier" character in fighting game, when playing random bronze ranked online, and rage quit from half the matches cuz they somehow were under delusion of being anywhere remotely good enough for tier list to even apply to them.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about it, I've been healing in this game almost since ARR launch and I'm still not super great on dps. Honestly If I can hit around 50-60th percentile on fflogs for a savage fight I'm pretty satisfied. And I don't always do that! That might make me bad but whatever, my group is clearing the fights.

This is completely fair, but to qualify I think a lot of the prior discussion was basically pivoting around the earlier suggestion of week 1 Savage PF Prog, particularly if you get out of the first couple of fights it can be useful to have a realistic understanding of how people might react to a given level of performance (I still think people are mostly just going to wall AST out of PF Savage prog parties entirely unless the healing buffs are good, but.)

It's hard to really talk about anything comp or performance wise because the game has like 15 sliding scales of Actually Matters that mostly revolve around if you're having fun, but I was reading it as more 'am I going to get shit from people in Savage PUGs for doing low-to-mid-2ks on AST?' and I think the answer there is probably yes and it's worth being aware of/maybe trying to change before wading into whatever PF has on offer. It's also useful to have the relative idea of where that is viewed, performance-wise, if you're looking to find a group, so that you know what kind of groups will/won't work out most likely.

If you have people you like to run with that can clear stuff, that should always trump everything, but if we're talking the wild jungle of PF it turns into a math problem and I'd rather have people overly cautious than blindsided when groups start removing them at enrages.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think it's pretty fucked if people locked AST out of PUGs seeing how non-shit whm/sch can basically both solo heal due to kit bloat atm. Ast do well enough as a co healer. I dont really view healing as the issue due to how overkill whm/sch are atm. The real issue is how freaking absurd whm dmg is.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is completely fair, but to qualify I think a lot of the prior discussion was basically pivoting around the earlier suggestion of week 1 Savage PF Prog, particularly if you get out of the first couple of fights it can be useful to have a realistic understanding of how people might react to a given level of performance (I still think people are mostly just going to wall AST out of PF Savage prog parties entirely unless the healing buffs are good, but.)

It's hard to really talk about anything comp or performance wise because the game has like 15 sliding scales of Actually Matters that mostly revolve around if you're having fun, but I was reading it as more 'am I going to get shit from people in Savage PUGs for doing low-to-mid-2ks on AST?' and I think the answer there is probably yes and it's worth being aware of/maybe trying to change before wading into whatever PF has on offer. It's also useful to have the relative idea of where that is viewed, performance-wise, if you're looking to find a group, so that you know what kind of groups will/won't work out most likely.

If you have people you like to run with that can clear stuff, that should always trump everything, but if we're talking the wild jungle of PF it turns into a math problem and I'd rather have people overly cautious than blindsided when groups start removing them at enrages.

This is probably true. I've been away from pugs for so long I'm not even sure how they would react to healer dps in the greys. I know it's not possible/desirable for everyone but finding a group of like minded people to run content with it made a huge difference in terms of my enjoyment of this game.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
One thing I've always thought was iffy about fflogs is it doesn't take gear into account, right? Like it's assuming everyone is using BiS. Most people in a pf group are all over the place gear-wise, some people being near minimum to enter and some people being near max which can easily be a 30-40 ilevel spread which would change the numbers.

I've never been anywhere near BiS in my life of playing because I don't do much savage beyond the first 1 or 2 max and I don't do tomes so I'm usually kitted out with whatever the normal raid gear is + a little higher. So then during Stormblood I'd view my FFlog comparison and would not be able to tell if I'm around 50% because I'm not optimizing or because a lot of people above me are playing the same but with better gear on. Wasn't very helpful for me as a NIN in Stormblood doing Savage/Ex runs on PF.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you are checking fflogs and restricting non-dupe jobs in ex primals please post your char name and server in the thread so we all know not to join your pfs

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I restrict SAM in my PF because I don't want them to steal my gear

ok i don't but I think about doing it a lot when I do

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone, I am about to try the FF14 trial to see if I like the game, I've been hearing a lot of great things. I was wondering how I should go about choosing a world and datacenter to play on. I'm in the EU and all I need is an English speaking server that is welcoming to casual and new players that is active. I also heard there are certain rewards for choosing new worlds added. Can anyone give me any advice on the matter?

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to use ACT to get your own DPS logs without seeing others? I would like to know how I'm doing but I don't really want to see how well other people are doing when I'm in a PUG.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
The whole NIN thing is still strange to me. Yeah no more aggro manipulation but Trick Attack is still REALLY good and obviously NIN is a prime candidate for LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.