• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Do commendations do anything? Everyone tends to exit the dungeon so quick I'll always just end up giving it to the last guy who hasn't left yet lol.

Giving out 5 commendations a week completes an entry in your challenge log (assuming you unlocked it) which gives you a free chunk of XP for a non-80 job and a small amount of Gil.

There are rewards for getting commendations, but requires getting quite a few of them. I think 500 gets you the golden magitek mount, 1500 gets you a gown for glamour, and 3000 is a special chocobo?
Reminds me I still haven't redeemed my gold magitek mount yet. I'm still nowhere close to getting rest of them.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
You guys were not joking.

Shadowbringers is goddamn incredible so far. I'm not even that far in (still on lvl70 MSQ), but the art direction, music, general themes and vibe are superb. It's as if I'm playing a new FF altogether lol.

I also had a revelation. I now understand why I found Stormblood so underwhelming compared to Heavensward or the little progress I've made on Shadowbringers.

Stormblood is about the liberation of Ala Mhigo and Doma....... and that's it. There's no major plot twist, revelation, or not knowing what's going to happen. There's near zero intrigue. It's not a bad xpac, the areas can be pretty, in particular Azim Steppe, but the plot... you know where it's going to end even before starting 4.0.

With Shadowbringers... I have no fucking clue, and I love that.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
Has character creation been open at ANY point on Ultros recently? It used to be that at weird windows it would open up, but even at like 1-6 AM EST it was locked.

Wanted to make a new character since its been years since I've played and don't feel like jumping back into my random lv 45 char but haven't been able to make one at all. I really like the story in this game and want to ACTUALLY play it through this time, and I hate the idea of jumping into the middle of a story years later (even with the inn and cutscene rewatching).

Though honestly, it seems like classes have been hit with some severe early game pruning since the last time I played, and levelling looks a lot like old Drg levelling, using two things until 25+...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've wished more than once that NG+ was already here, just so I can replay Shadowbringers.

The worst thing about New Game+ is that you can't pick where you start. New Game+ starts you on A Realm Reborn and you'll have to play all the way through 2.0-4.x to get to Shadowbringers again.

Has character creation been open at ANY point on Ultros recently? It used to be that at weird windows it would open up, but even at like 1-6 AM EST it was locked.

Ultros is Congested. It won't be open to character creation until its population thins out a bit. It was open for a while around 5.01, but they locked it again in 5.05. It seems like they change status after each patch. Watch for it when 5.08 is released and maybe it will be open.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that, yeah enemies have been dying waaaay faster and on my few runs of Castrum Abania my HP was higher than on PLD on the big pulls, but I don't know if I'm doing good or the healers I have now are not DPS focus. Is there any rule for when to use Raw Intuition vs Nascent Flash?

Something I noticed after the release of ShB is a ton more of green DPS especially WHM that don't even bother using regen.
The best healers have always been green DPS

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys were not joking.

Shadowbringers is goddamn incredible so far. I'm not even that far in (still on lvl70 MSQ), but the art direction, music, general themes and vibe are superb. It's as if I'm playing a new FF altogether lol.

I also had a revelation. I now understand why I found Stormblood so underwhelming compared to Heavensward or the little progress I've made on Shadowbringers.

Stormblood is about the liberation of Ala Mhigo and Doma....... and that's it. There's no major plot twist, revelation, or not knowing what's going to happen. There's near zero intrigue. It's not a bad xpac, the areas can be pretty, in particular Azim Steppe, but the plot... you know where it's going to end even before starting 4.0.

With Shadowbringers... I have no fucking clue, and I love that.
The fallout to stormblood was WAY more interesting to me than the main story.

and the red sea can bite me.

EDIT: just got to Raktika and the overworld song slaps.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that, yeah enemies have been dying waaaay faster and on my few runs of Castrum Abania my HP was higher than on PLD on the big pulls, but I don't know if I'm doing good or the healers I have now are not DPS focus. Is there any rule for when to use Raw Intuition vs Nascent Flash?

Something I noticed after the release of ShB is a ton more of green DPS especially WHM that don't even bother using regen.

Nascent Flash is not really worth it unless you have Infuriate for Chaotic Cyclone or Inner Chaos. I guess if you are on Inner Beast + Fell Cleave/Decimate burst you can also use it. Honestly I'd rather use Raw Intuition for tankbusters rather than depend of the healer knowing I'm gonna get a lot of self heal to not overheal. It sucks getting a bene just after a tankbuster and watching your self heal be wasted. I guess on proper endgame content you can optimize it's usage and coordinate with healers on normal PF I rather just use the simple damage mitigation tool.

On dungeons 2 chaotic Cyclones can basically max your HP on big pulls, so yeah use it over raw intuition, even just spamming decimate is a lot of hp.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nascent Flash is not really worth it unless you have Infuriate for Chaotic Cyclone or Inner Chaos. I guess if you are on Inner Beast + Fell Cleave/Decimate burst you can also use it. Honestly I'd rather use Raw Intuition for tankbusters rather than depend of the healer knowing I'm gonna get a lot of self heal to not overheal. It sucks getting a bene just after a tankbuster and watching your self heal be wasted. I guess on proper endgame content you can optimize it's usage and coordinate with healers on normal PF I rather just use the simple damage mitigation tool.

On dungeons 2 chaotic Cyclones can basically max your HP on big pulls, so yeah use it over raw intuition, even just spamming decimate is a lot of hp.
Even just Overpower+Myth tempest is a ton of healing, usually better than raw intuition. Nascent shines in dungeons.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ack, confirmed? I thought there was talk about choosing an xpack to start from.

That's my understanding as well. The way it was translated from a recent Yoshi-P interview seemed to imply you can start from ARR or also from the start of an expansion. This will undoubtedly be clarified once we are closer to the actual release of the feature, though considering a lot of people are probably going to use this to replay expansions like Heavensward, would imagine they'd just let you start from there, which is what the interview seemed to indicate.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
That's my understanding as well. The way it was translated from a recent Yoshi-P interview seemed to imply you can start from ARR or also from the start of an expansion. This will undoubtedly be clarified once we are closer to the actual release of the feature, though considering a lot of people are probably going to use this to replay expansions like Heavensward, would imagine they'd just let you start from there, which is what the interview seemed to indicate.

I may be wrong. (I usually am.) I was just under the impression that it started you at ARR and you couldn't choose what to play.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget she destroyed that one dude at the end of the Azim Steppe instance you controlled her in. RIP that guy
i laughed so hard at that scene.
I've wished more than once that NG+ was already here, just so I can replay Shadowbringers.
yea I had to make a new toon to play through original story again. I really didnt pay attention the first time to ARR cause of how small the text was (learned a few months ago how to enlarge it after playing for 5 yerars.) Plus, I really want to play heavensward again.

one thing I've noticed after re0playing ARR is that Minfilia ARR voice acting... was not very good...

Last edited:

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Botanist is at 75 once I max him it's Armorer from 12 to 50 then I'm gonna simultaneously level all the crafters from 50. That's probably gonna be rough but eventually when I get them to 80 I won't wait another two expansions to level them up again.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Finally got SCH to 50. Now I can use trial, alliance, and MSQ roulettes to level it. Healing is stressful. I don't think I could ever main a healer job.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-50 is the hardest part
The main reason I kinda gave up on crafting back then was because of the hassle of getting materia for it. Either spend the gill or go to Urth's Fount and spiritbond crafting gear. At least the materia is much better to get this time around and I'll have both the main gatherers to 80. I'm doing fishing last if I even decide to level it.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finally got all the Eden normal gear for healer except the weapon, which I need 2 more weeks of E4N clears. Not sure I have it in me to grind out 1000 phantasmagoria tomestones in the meantime though lol. Guess it's back to finding hunts and doing some Expert Roulette (though only dungeon I really like running on repeat there is Akademia Anyder since it feels like the most straightforward of the current bunch).

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
So.... what about those dungeons? I just got to my first dungeon that I have to do in the main story and currently I'm waiting for 11 minutes and there hasn't been found even one other group member. Is this normal? Because this sucks pretty hard.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So.... what about those dungeons? I just got to my first dungeon that I have to do in the main story and currently I'm waiting for 11 minutes and there hasn't been found even one other group member. Is this normal? Because this sucks pretty hard.
If you are a DPS, then you will face queues. That's sadly just how it is. Keep at it and do other stuff while you wait. Like, do FATEs or crafting/gathering. Or sidequests :D

EDIT: just got to Raktika and the overworld song slaps.
LA HEE!

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

If you are queuing as a DPS, it's normal, as this role typically has the highest queue time (from 10min to 30min, depending on when you are queuing). Your best option if you don't want to wait is to find a friend who is leveling a Tank or Healing job and play with them.

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
If you are a DPS, then you will face queues. That's sadly just how it is. Keep at it and do other stuff while you wait. Like, do FATEs or crafting/gathering. Or sidequests :D

LA HEE!
If you are queuing as a DPS, it's normal, as this role typically has the highest queue time (from 10min to 30min, depending on when you are queuing). Your best option if you don't want to wait is to find a friend who is leveling a Tank or Healing job and play with them.
the group can fill instantly. don't walk away too far thinking they fill it one by one.

After standing in front of that dungeon for another 30 minutes and nothing happened I decided to level up marauder. Luckily it doesn't take too long. I'm level 12 currently... hopefully it finds other players faster when I'm a tank.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm probably playing it completely wrong, but it seems like SCH will be a hard job to heal with. I just got to 50 with it last night and it doesn't have any big healing spells, like WHM. The highest potency healing ability I have is an Aetherflow ability that I think had 600 potency. It seems like with SCH you'll have to spend most of your time actually healing.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
SCH is the healer that spends the least amount of time actually healing due to fairy and oGCDs.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
After standing in front of that dungeon for another 30 minutes and nothing happened I decided to level up marauder. Luckily it doesn't take too long. I'm level 12 currently... hopefully it finds other players faster when I'm a tank.

Playing as a healer or tank pretty much guarantees you instant queues. I've been leveling WHM on the side and I always just pop to the class, queue a dungeon to get the bonus, and am in within 5 seconds.

Oct 25, 2017
None of the healers are really going to feel great at 50; most of them are pretty stripped down and SCH in particular is missing most of its best bits. Some things do persist--WHM always stays kind of faceroll and superior dungeon healer, AST will always be more fiddly, but most of the tools that make the jobs 'work' will come later. The bulk of SCH's AOE healing stuff doesn't exist at 50, etc etc. As you level further and get stuff like Indom and Excog it gets a bit better.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Healing at 50 feels so bad regardless of healer.

SCH also doesn't really use GCD heals even in savage. (Well they do, but not like WHM)

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
So I'm on the light farm portion of the anima weapon quest. I understand that A1S and A9S are the best spots to level them up but that would require running regular Alexander and that seems like quite the commitment. Learning what's basically a ton of dungeons to run these. Am I mistaken and it's simpler then I'd think?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on the light farm portion of the anima weapon quest. I understand that A1S and A9S are the best spots to level them up but that would require running regular Alexander and that seems like quite the commitment. Learning what's basically a ton of dungeons to run these. Am I mistaken and it's simpler then I'd think?
It's a whole lot simpler than that. All the 8 man raids after coil are pretty much a trial fight with little to no trash outside the fight. And for relic light farming it's all done unsynced with the fights taking 1 to 2 mins with little to no mechanics. A1s has 1 mechanic if your group is really bad (the second boss has to die pretty quick after he spawns or he'll wipe the run) but the light payout is pretty bad.

A9s has a much better light payout and 1 or 0 mechanics 1 person has to deal with, but you'll need to unlock the fight by clearing 1 - 8 and while none are particularly hard to clear there's a bunch of cutscenes and running around between A4 - A5 and A8 - A9 and queue times you'll need to deal with if you're not running via pf skipping the cutscenes in between fights.

Video of A9s unsynced at 70 (it should be even faster now at 80)

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

bqiiejt4cgi31.png

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bee's are not natural predators of spiders. I wish people stop confusing bee's with wasps, they're giving bee's a bad name.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a cross servers Linkshell I could join? I have a character on Primal data server, the few friends I know there play in different timezones, so I've just been grinding lowbies alone, but playing with randoms can sometimes feel like work.

Status
Not open for further replies.