• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Me: "I should stop playing FFXIV for a bit and play Monster Hunter since the new expansion came out."
Monster Hunter:
ED3kNnqX4AEZXsC

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I got around to Crystal Tower (on the 3rd raid now). The story has been pretty enjoyable so far, and I can see how the fights worked and would have been fun when they first released. I also got thanked for being the one person who hadn't done it before so that was kinda nice.

Doesn't seem like they reward much XP though, probably because there aren't actually a whole lot of fights in the dungeon. But the mechanics are kinda cool, even the non-boss pulls try to split you up into 3 groups.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I got around to Crystal Tower (on the 3rd raid now). The story has been pretty enjoyable so far, and I can see how the fights worked and would have been fun when they first released. I also got thanked for being the one person who hadn't done it before so that was kinda nice.

Doesn't seem like they reward much XP though, probably because there aren't actually a whole lot of fights in the dungeon. But the mechanics are kinda cool, even the non-boss pulls try to split you up into 3 groups.
They don't give much exp if you run them specifically, yes. If you do Alliance Raid Roulette it's good exp though.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn man, Veira's has to be top 3 most played. I see them everywhere now. Would not shock me if they surpassed miqo'te

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In general level-cap content (50, 60, 70) doesn't reward much exp. It's intentional so you don't get too overleveled before hitting the next expansion's content.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Running a mega train on Aether and apparently we're murdering servers and tilting people as they can't find the A rank ; ;

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Honestly I should of been had e3s completed by now but I dedicated time to leveling Gathering and now Crafting which took away time from me raiding it's my own pace and I'm okay with it.

Also one day I hope that patch in support for the ds4 to control on pc like it does on the ps4 without the use of a third party app.

I use an Xbox one controller but I'm pretty sure there's native support for the DS4 on the PC version. Think it was added the last couple years. Not sure if it natively supports wired only though.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I use an Xbox one controller but I'm pretty sure there's native support for the DS4 on the PC version. Think it was added the last couple years. Not sure if it natively supports wired only though.
That's not what I was talking about. I know it has native support as I use it natively but on the ps4 you can use the touchpad for a mouse natively which you can't on pc and you can press each side of the touchpad and it will cycle in the UI in the direction you pressed on the touchpad while on pc the share button is used instead

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's not what I was talking about. I know it has native support as I use it natively but on the ps4 you can use the touchpad for a mouse natively which you can't on pc and you can press each side of the touchpad and it will cycle in the UI in the direction you pressed on the touchpad while on pc the share button is used instead

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood. I primarily play with a game pad on PC but use M/K when it's more convenient with UI navigation. Didn't realize DS4 touchpad had some support for that as well.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Snippets of an interview and summary with Yoshida. Most interesting part to me is this

• The CEO of SE announced that they had 700k subscribers before shadowbringers launched, but that wasn't the peak and they have way more players currently.
  • The amount of active players has surpassed a million and the number of subcribers has also reached a never before seen level.
  • They'd like to update us on the numbers at some point, but they might wait because the numbers are continuing to grow and they haven't reached the peak yet.
  • Before shadowbringers, the amount of subsrciptions would decrease after the 1st month, but they are still hanging on up to this point. It's not like nobody is leaving, but new players are flooding in to balance out the numbers.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious the game is doing well. Ultros has had queues every day since launch. That has never happened.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Shadowbringers and I've got say that it is in my top RPGs of all time, if not top games of all time.

For gear progression is it better to follow sequentially or can I do any skipping around? I've never played any endgame stuff like this before.

Seems like I should be doing normal raids and maybe the ex trials until I get geared from those and then move on to savage content?

I play Dark Knight for reference, I believe I've read that upgrading my weapon is not as big of a deal compared to dps and I should focus on armor/accessories first.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting in that interview they said they lowered the DPS checks on Eden Savage below what they usually do because they thought players would have trouble getting used to their new rotations. They said usually take away 10% from the boss's HP in the first tier of a raid, but this time they took away 15%. Weird when I was reading in here people saying that the DPS checks seemed harsh.

Also they said that they don't really care how fast the top teams clear savage anymore because Ultimate is for those players. That's fine but it would be nice if they actually did 3 Ultimates this time around.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Shadowbringers and I've got say that it is in my top RPGs of all time, if not top games of all time.

For gear progression is it better to follow sequentially or can I do any skipping around? I've never played any endgame stuff like this before.

Seems like I should be doing normal raids and maybe the ex trials until I get geared from those and then move on to savage content?

I play Dark Knight for reference, I believe I've read that upgrading my weapon is not as big of a deal compared to dps and I should focus on armor/accessories first.
There's multipile sets of level 80 gear you can get right now that are higher than the i430 job gear you get from the NPC that had the main quest that required you to do all your role quests in the final zone.

There's gear which you buy via the Goetia tomestones, which is the uncapped currency you earn from running any of the duty roulettes on a level 80 job as well as any level 80 content like the dungeons, and 8 man raids, this currency is uncapped and gives you i440 gear.

There's i450 gear available from Eden's normal difficulty, which you exchange tokens (I don't have the names of each one off hand but they're self-explanatory now if you hover over them) from the raid to obtain the gear. These token drops are weekly capped and must be rolled on against other players, but the drops are spread more evenly throughout the floors than in the last expansion.

i460 gear which is upgradeable to i470 now with stuff from Eden Savage (a catchup method to upgrade this stuff will be available when the 24 man comes out in 5.1) is available with Phantasmagoria tomestones, which are weekly capped at 450/week. The weapon costs 1000 tomestones and 7 weekly drops obtained upon completing the 4th floor of Eden 4 or a drop available from Eden 2 Savage.

i470 stuff is available now from Eden Savage, and shares appearance with the normal mode gear but it's dyeable, as well as having a raid weapon that's exclusive to Savage difficulties that's i475.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Viera and hrothgar both feel like second-class citizens when it comes to character customization. Really, really wish they could've at least gotten more hairstyles compatible with them.

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting in that interview they said they lowered the DPS checks on Eden Savage below what they usually do because they thought players would have trouble getting used to their new rotations. They said usually take away 10% from the boss's HP in the first tier of a raid, but this time they took away 15%. Weird when I was reading in here people saying that the DPS checks seemed harsh.

Also they said that they don't really care how fast the top teams clear savage anymore because Ultimate is for those players. That's fine but it would be nice if they actually did 3 Ultimates this time around.

Honestly the only fight that doesn't fit with the lower-than-normal DPS check is Titan, and even that kind of tracks if you compare Titan's DPS check to Exfaust. He definitely feels like a tighter check than Neo Exdeath ever did, but stretching the door boss check out to a full length fight kind of makes sense.

Im curious to see where on the UCoB/UwU scale they settle for Ultimate this time around, but more fights can't be anything but better.

scy

Oct 25, 2017

It's also weird since these are the easiest rotations they've ever had across the board.

As far as week 1 DPS checks go, Titan was kind of tight but not egregious which is basically in line with week 1 everything Stormblood. It never really felt "out of reach" basically? I'd say E1S/E2S are on the lower than normal side of things and E3S about where you'd expect it, maybe a bit lower than normal but since it's another infinite uptime fight, it's hard to say where it tracks exactly.

Oct 25, 2017
I do think (and fully support) that Damage Downs this tier matter than people might be used to. But I'm all for anything that makes mechanics failures as annoying for DPS as the bulb failures are for healers. That probably contributes to the 'harsh' 2s dps check

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Man the wholesale voice actor replacements in Heavensward are taking some real getting used to, particularly Merlwyb, her original voice actor was absolutely spot on.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Man the wholesale voice actor replacements in Heavensward are taking some real getting used to, particularly Merlwyb, her original voice actor was absolutely spot on.
You'll get used to it. It's very weird at first, especially for Alphinaud because he talks directly before and after the VO switch, but you'll come around on them.

Except Merlwyb. I like New Merlwyb now more than I did when the switch first happened, but Old Merlwyb was basically perfect for the role

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
to be fair whatever you've already heard of merlwyb is like half of all her lines since 2.55

uldah is the only one of the 3 starting cities that carries around some importance post-ARR

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Got Red Mage to level 80 tonight. Very nice artifact 4 set except those absolutely hideous boots. And well... race limitations means I can't wear the hat either :(

The job isn't that bad. It's not as boring as a imagined it would be but black mage is more satisfying in every aspect that's for sure. Some dungeon runs were pretty slow especially with another red mage as the dps. I do like the AOE changes it got but everything else seems super basic.... engagement is just in place for displacement for fights where you'll kill yourself with displacement.... enchanted reprise seems a little disappointing.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Got Red Mage to level 80 tonight. Very nice artifact 4 set except those absolutely hideous boots. And well... race limitations means I can't wear the hat either :(

The job isn't that bad. It's not as boring as a imagined it would be but black mage is more satisfying in every aspect that's for sure. Some dungeon runs were pretty slow especially with another red mage as the dps. I do like the AOE changes it got but everything else seems super basic.... engagement is just in place for displacement for fights where you'll kill yourself with displacement.... enchanted reprise seems a little disappointing.

I enjoy RDM quite a bit, but I'm looking forward to trying another caster DPS like BLM at some point. I only have THM at Level 8 at the moment, and probably will get RDM and DNC to 80 before I start leveing it again, so probably will be a while for me lol. Also have a lot of glam ideas I want to try as a BLM, but it always seemed like a cool job to play just looking at it from the outside

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Stormblood is 122 missions?!
Ai caramba
Ok gonna aim to clear 20 msq per day since i wanna finish the mains stuff before my sub ends in 2ish weeks.
Hopefully i can do the post sb stuff too if only to get a shb cliffhanger xp

Oh and i nee help in getting a zodiac weapon
The gsme instructs to getting luminous crystals or items from clearing fates but i did 1 or 2 and didnt get any. I hadnt checked with a calamity vendor yet but what fates will reward me with necessary items?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood is 122 missions?!
Ai caramba
Ok gonna aim to clear 20 msq per day since i wanna finish the mains stuff before my sub ends in 2ish weeks.
Hopefully i can do the post sb stuff too if only to get a shb cliffhanger xp

Oh and i nee help in getting a zodiac weapon
The gsme instructs to getting luminous crystals or items from clearing fates but i did 1 or 2 and didnt get any. I hadnt checked with a calamity vendor yet but what fates will reward me with necessary items?

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
ARR 2.5 part 1 spoilers:

Wow the keepers lake dungeon and final boss was amazing. Music was godlike.

Also that Ascian fight! Dude was a creep with Min bound like that...that boss fight I where myself along with the whole party died the most out of any other boss fight. Closest would be Odin. It was the meteor section getting us. I decided fuck it, went ham on the right with my dps and got it done just in time before I lost all HP.

Sooo the Ascians were inspired by Org Xiii from KH right? Long black cloaks? Hidden faces? Amazing teleportation skills? Corrupting others? Exposition that seldmon makes sense? Lol

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the Shadowbringers story as well. Epic as hell, up there with the best Final Fantasies.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
people are wack when it comes to emet-selch

they really out there genuinely saying he wasn't evil and that it was understandable why he did that because he didn't consider us as people and we would have done the same.

literally just using emet-selch's argument and saying it makes sense to commit genocide on a galactic level and that was something selfless for him to do

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

Snippets of an interview and summary with Yoshida. Most interesting part to me is this

• The CEO of SE announced that they had 700k subscribers before shadowbringers launched, but that wasn't the peak and they have way more players currently.
  • The amount of active players has surpassed a million and the number of subcribers has also reached a never before seen level.
  • They'd like to update us on the numbers at some point, but they might wait because the numbers are continuing to grow and they haven't reached the peak yet.
  • Before shadowbringers, the amount of subsrciptions would decrease after the 1st month, but they are still hanging on up to this point. It's not like nobody is leaving, but new players are flooding in to balance out the numbers.

How many bot and hacked accounts are in there i wonder? i wish some site would roast yoshi on that. as soon as my server is open for a minute i see idiot mages floating around the world. nobody gives a shit.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
  • The audio issue (needing to restart the game whe switching audio) was fixed by the windows 10 update, not by SE.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.