• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So, like, I never paid attention to positionals until I started playing Monk. And now the job is up to level 50 and it's kind of surreal how unlike other classes it is -- like how you have to be moving from back to side constantly, adding a layer of complexity that isn't present otherwise. Pretty fun but also pretty overwhelming. Looking back, I probably f'ed up playing DRG a bit too....

I'm only up to a 60 DRG, but I don't think there's any positionals other than rear in the rotation right now. So there's no bouncing around so long as you make sure you're positioned opposite the tank and get your OGCD jumps in to maximize DPS.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It didn't used to be like this. As it is now its toolkit feels really disconnected from each other. The dots are just there as prerequisite for fester spam now, and that's separated from the bahamut summon mechanics. You're pressing buttons constantly now whereas before everything culminated in a big burst window of ruin magic and deathflare in a very satisfying way.
Damn, I'm getting FOMO reading this ☹

I want to play old Summoner now. I dont care about the Phoenix thing

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ptolemaios
I'm only up to a 60 DRG, but I don't think there's any positionals other than rear in the rotation right now. So there's no bouncing around so long as you make sure you're positioned opposite the tank and get your OGCD jumps in to maximize DPS.
DRG has two rear and one flank positional. It's important to hit your combo finishers to proc your Raiden Thrust for extra dps.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Btw, thanks to the guy who posted the tanking infographic. Right now I'm definitely still at the 'mosh pit' stage. Turns out coralling a bunch of mobs in a Conga line and turning them around isnt as easy as it looks 😬

Also it's really tough learning how to pace a party at first. Sometimes you get a great healer which means you can take on a bit more, but knowing if someone is a bit weaker and adjusting my pace isnt something I've had to do with the other roles (just follow the leader basically)

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, thanks to the guy who posted the tanking infographic. Right now I'm definitely still at the 'mosh pit' stage. Turns out coralling a bunch of mobs in a Conga line and turning them around isnt as easy as it looks 😬

Also it's really tough learning how to pace a party at first. Sometimes you get a great healer which means you can take on a bit more, but knowing if someone is a bit weaker and adjusting my pace isnt something I've had to do with the other roles (just follow the leader basically)
You'll get a feel for it eventually, but you can kinda just let your cooldown availability guide you. Pull two packs to start, use a cooldown, see if you need to use another one before things are dead (or close enough). If not, pull big again. If so, start pulling smaller.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Rule of thumb is two groups. If the healer starts to run ahead and pull more, then you can increase that. If they struggle, then keep it at one. So far I haven't seen any complaints for pulling two groups at a time. Maybe if the enemies are really spread out and not numerous then I'll try to pull a little more.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty certain the standard for expert is wall to wall. Has been that way since 3.0 (maybe even further back?)

Leveling stuff you really should be checking healer gear first if you're the tank.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Correct. Break out your best glams so you look stylish on the frontlines

Just need the Weapon for Garo DRG set, so I'm actually thinking I may try for the silver mount at the very least. The gold might be nice but the Feast is not eligible for moogle charms so I dunno if that'll happen. I'm also seriously considering changing my GC to Maelstrom and then turning Frontier Freelancer off, since it seems like they win way more often than other GC's.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
After around 290 hours I've finally caught up and finished Shadowbringers, that was quite the ride.

Starting and finishing ARR was definitely rough, playing with the road to 70 buff helped a lot though, I'm not sure how far I would have gotten without it. Like everyone says, Heavensward was a large improvement and I can safely say by then I was hooked.

I was worried about Stormblood being a big drop off in quality going off what people said, but I actually really enjoyed the story and the ending got me pretty hyped to see what happened next.

At the beginning of Shadowbringers, I was already like "this gonna b gud" and for the most part it definitely was. I guess after all the hype, I was just a little disappointed that there was a chuck of stories that just felt like filler and I didn't really find interesting, but when the story was good, it was really good.

I pretty much just stuck to the MSQ, until shadowbringers where I actually had to do side quests for leveling. The only raid I did was the Crystal Tower since it was highly recommended to experience that story before Shadowbringers, and now I can see why.

Now that I'm caught up, I'm wondering if there were any good stories I might have missed along the way. Is there a Heavensward or Stormblood raid that is worth going back and doing the quests for? or perhaps a special chain of side quests?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
After around 290 hours I've finally caught up and finished Shadowbringers, that was quite the ride.

Starting and finishing ARR was definitely rough, playing with the road to 70 buff helped a lot though, I'm not sure how far I would have gotten without it. Like everyone says, Heavensward was a large improvement and I can safely say by then I was hooked.

I was worried about Stormblood being a big drop off in quality going off what people said, but I actually really enjoyed the story and the ending got me pretty hyped to see what happened next.

At the beginning of Shadowbringers, I was already like "this gonna b gud" and for the most part it definitely was. I guess after all the hype, I was just a little disappointed that there was a chuck of stories that just felt like filler and I didn't really find interesting, but when the story was good, it was really good.

I pretty much just stuck to the MSQ, until shadowbringers where I actually had to do side quests for leveling. The only raid I did was the Crystal Tower since it was highly recommended to experience that story before Shadowbringers, and now I can see why.

Now that I'm caught up, I'm wondering if there were any good stories I might have missed along the way. Is there a Heavensward or Stormblood raid that is worth going back and doing the quests for? or perhaps a special chain of side quests?

DRK job quests are very good
Omega raid is great and has fantastic fights

Technically all raiding content is great but out all the ones I've played that one is best.

Eden raid if you haven't looked at it yet too.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Stormblood 24 man is a must (Ivalice raid)

Just beware tho that people get pretty salty on those raids, especially Orbonne Monastery

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If we have the full toolkit, sure. The one thing that always annoys me in Aurum Vale is that it syncs to lvl 49 and not 50. And now, i want to keep my Umbral Soul (absolute god tier ability, comparable to The Blackest Night) and Xenoglossy.

The gap between people leveling at 49 and those at 50 in full poetics would be too big

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Time to grind out enough gil to get a Medium house and then wake up at 3 am on patch day

(I would try if I had the time to get that much gil, not gonna lie, but I have too much going on in my life right now)

Is smurf FCs buying new land still a big thing? How fucked is the housing market on those two new EU servers, I don't think they've opened up for individual sale yet

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Medium plots will be gone within seconds as usual no doubt
nooo you caught my it's-too-late-in-the-day-to-be-this-warm melted-brain math failure :(

Anyway, there was also a post about UI changes in 5.1
- Glamour dresser can be set to only show items usable by your current class/race/gender
- can also be set to hide gear set items
- Duty Finder can be collapsed by expansion, and shows your current iLevel
- DF settings page rejigged, and Echo Bonus can be turned off
- Emote list can be sorted alphabetical
- You can now set it so that danger bongos <SE.6> (or whatever tell beep sound you like) plays when you are targeted by another player's emote

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Dont know what the top one is but I bet the bottom one is getting Cape Westwind on duty roulette
EGBRQwdUYAAv7hu

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm of the opinion the earlier content needs to be rebalanced to match current expansion difficulty, and make dungeon enemy stats scale with player stats and ilvls. Also add in at least one unknown element to dungeons so your party can't just run through and pull wantonly.

Matchew

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started Stormblood. Got to say Heavensward was kind of a let down. I think I hype myself up too much from the word of mouth. But, I thought the patches after Heavensward were really good and I like where the story is going, so I got big hopes for Stormblood.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I can't believe I didn't notice this all these years but the other three dudes in that meme change from the first to the second picture

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I didn't notice this all these years but the other three dudes in that meme change from the first to the second picture
I also just noticed this and I can't remember how many times I've seen that meme over the years. The pictures aren't even in the same location.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh sweet new housing plots, maybe now i have a chan-" Please note, however, that sales of plots in wards 19 through 21 will be restricted to Free Companies for a limited time ", oh never mind.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
5.1 Live Letter Part 2 is October 18. That means 5.1 will probably be the 29th. That sucks.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I kinda want a house but I have no idea how to go about getting one. Plus I think I'm poor, although TBH since gil is so meaningless during leveling I don't really know.

I'm still a cheap-ass though and won't teleport from the Far East to the West or vice versa because it costs 999 gil. I'll be taking the boat or using my free teleport, thank you very much. =)

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I kinda want a house but I have no idea how to go about getting one. Plus I think I'm poor, although TBH since gil is so meaningless during leveling I don't really know.

I'm still a cheap-ass though and won't teleport from the Far East to the West or vice versa because it costs 999 gil. I'll be taking the boat or using my free teleport, thank you very much. =)
You just look through the housing directory at each main aetheryte in the 4 city-states where housing is and then if a house shows a price in gil instead of a name, you can go and camp it in an attempt to get it

How much money do you have? I'll say that generally money is not the hard part of getting a house, actually getting your hands on a house is far more difficult than getting enough gil

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

1. Save up 4M gil
  2. Find open plot
  3. Spam placard until it gets taken (either because you or someone else bought it when the timer ended or someone relocated to it)
Don't tie yourself to any particular plot and expect to miss on a lot of them before you get one. Just get your foot in the door and buy any house you can get and you can relocate to something you actually want later.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
The housing on Twintania is limited to grand companies only at the moment. There's lots of plots open, the majority of them haven't been taken. Will they all sell pretty much instantly once players can buy them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.