• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Seems like cactbot is a sticky subject haha. I think I'm a purist when it comes to learning difficult fights even if they're made worse by external factors. I've really been out of the endgame loop. Got Titania and Innocence ex down and should be able to start on savage soon.

Last edited:

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have not used cactpot ever and never will. I've gotten use to the pattern of these bosses on my own in Eden savage so far on my own.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Cactpot is fine. As someone who pugged this entire tier through farm, I honestly wish more people used it. Wiping repeatedly on E3S because someone keeps fucking up on the most basic shit (TEMPORARY CURRENT, FOR EXAMPLE) in a weekly E1-E4 2 chest party is infuriating.

The Balance Discord has been around since late Heavensward, with the website going up a few months before Stormblood hit. The name came from the HW-era super-OP 20% Balance/10% AOE Balance being meme-tier. It ballooned up in popularity in Stormblood; it remains the best one-stop-shopping for BiS, rotation/opener and fight-specific modifications, but the chat channels themselves generally need to be taken with a grain of salt especially if you venture outside the job-specific stuff. They're still useful, but misinformation can be a thing in discussion channels.
YMMV - I have always received super solid advice when asking - and it's usually pretty quick, too.

💘 The Balance

Last edited:

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Cactpot is fine. As someone who pugged this entire tier through farm, I honestly wish more people used it. Wiping repeatedly on E3S because someone keeps fucking up on the most basic shit (TEMPORARY CURRENT, FOR EXAMPLE) in a weekly E1-E4 2 chest party is infuriating.

Well part of the problem with addons for this game is that PS4 users have no options to use them at all. There's a pretty sizable PS4 population playing the game I think.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, when are we gonna get the Eulmore strip club dance emote? I'd pay good money for it.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Got to 70 as Summoner!

Have no idea how to use Bahamut at all LOL. he just stands there. Unless I use Ruin2, then he uses something as well.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Got to 70 as Summoner!

Have no idea how to use Bahamut at all LOL. he just stands there. Unless I use Ruin2, then he uses something as well.
Bahamut attacks only when you attack, so the best use is to spam ruin IV/II while he's up and finish it off with akh morn for maximum flash and satisfaction

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
So, partially late to the party! Started Shadowbringers last week.

Initial thoughts (currently level 75, just reached Slitherborough)
Hot damn it's fantastic.

+Story is reminiscent of older RPG titles. I was hooked from the start. I decided to do the desert place first and seeing that NPC getting mauled by the forgiven was great viewing. Moved over to Eulmore and enjoyed the short narrative there.
+Holy fuck that Rak'tika Greatwood music
+Dungeons and trials seem a lot more involving. Floor markers aren't just circles and lines. Titania was a good difficulty.
+Scenery is stunning. Crystallium (sp?) and the fairy castle in Il Mheg at nighttime had me speechless.

-Opening to battle theme sounds like some cheesy 90s show ala Buffy the vampire slayer
-Feels very empty

I've been given good steer on the direction the story is going with the light and darkness balance, but I'm really hoping it's not as linear as I think it could be. Here's to hoping there's some good plot twists along the way!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
World zones feeling more empty is the biggest negative about the giant open scapes. I know making a large area that doesn't seem unoccupied is difficult, but still. I do think camera has a lot to do with it though, which is why there aren't many enclosed areas.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Bahamut attacks only when you attack, so the best use is to spam ruin IV/II while he's up and finish it off with akh morn for maximum flash and satisfaction

What do I need to do to activate Akh Morn?

-Opening to battle theme sounds like some cheesy 90s show ala Buffy the vampire slayer

I actually turned off battle music for this reason. It's an option if that music bothered you as much as it did me.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm finally going to have all my Tomestone gear this week. I can finally stop worrying about capping every week.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
My luck with rolls in eden savage continues to be abysmally bad and it's bumming me out to the point where it's making me want to unsub. :(

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was able to get all 4 floors done in a little over an hour this week feels nice to be free xD

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy the hd character textures. Glad I had em for the ShB msq
Gonna messs around and see what the best of those are later. I installed an HD skin pack thing that gives all the dudes more defined abs. Better skin and stuff. Gonna check out hair stuff too

Also uh, The true power of mods is apperently taking the undershirt off of jacket items. So my Au Ra dude is always gladio all the time. Found a mod that chops off the arms of leons jacket and takes away the shirt and belts. Shit looks tight.

rT51ZEz.png

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
A Realm Reborn - complete!! I just finished The Praetorium last night. Took around...70 hours, I think, from start to finish. I started my adventure a few months ago, went on and off, dabbled in some side content here and there, but mainly just steam rolled the story.

A little bummed about the last few missions - I read up on some strategies before hand as I was a bit nervous for the 8 man teams, but uh...looks like that content did not exactly age well, lol. I'm guessing because item levels aren't synced? We freakin' plowed through literally EVERYTHING. Bosses went down in like, 15 seconds lol. I was so worried about tanking responsibilities but I didn't even have to worry about it. Bummed I didn't get the "full" experience and worried when the time comes I won't know what I'm doing, but I'm glad to be done with the ARR stuff.

Story wasn't as bad as I thought - it got interesting near the end, and I thought the villains had some decent motivations, all thing considered. I think the problem with the story was the storytelling itself - not so much the plot. Poor voice acting, bad pacing, iffy dialogue. I've heard they get some new voice actors in the expansions so I'm excited to see some of these characters "re-imagined" a bit, as I think the framework is definitely there.

Anyway - next up are the 2.x quests, which I hear is a major slog. I'm ready for it - I find those quests super relaxing to get through. I'll usually put on some Giant Bomb content and blast through it.

At some point I'll attempt the Crystal Tower raids before Heavensward as well as the Coil of Bahamut. I'm a little worried about Coil because it seems like you have to pre-make a group for that, as it doesn't really connect you with others during the Duty Finder. Hoping I can find 7 others to carry me through it and won't mind me watching the cutscenes (though I suppose I can watch them later at an inn).

Onwards to Heavensward!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Gonna messs around and see what the best of those are later. I installed an HD skin pack thing that gives all the dudes more defined abs. Better skin and stuff. Gonna check out hair stuff too

Also uh, The true power of mods is apperently taking the undershirt off of jacket items. So my Au Ra dude is always gladio all the time. Found a mod that chops off the arms of leons jacket and takes away the shirt and belts. Shit looks tight.

rT51ZEz.png
This only affects your client right? It appears normally to everyone else

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
A Realm Reborn - complete!! I just finished The Praetorium last night. Took around...70 hours, I think, from start to finish. I started my adventure a few months ago, went on and off, dabbled in some side content here and there, but mainly just steam rolled the story.

A little bummed about the last few missions - I read up on some strategies before hand as I was a bit nervous for the 8 man teams, but uh...looks like that content did not exactly age well, lol. I'm guessing because item levels aren't synced? We freakin' plowed through literally EVERYTHING. Bosses went down in like, 15 seconds lol. I was so worried about tanking responsibilities but I didn't even have to worry about it. Bummed I didn't get the "full" experience and worried when the time comes I won't know what I'm doing, but I'm glad to be done with the ARR stuff.

Story wasn't as bad as I thought - it got interesting near the end, and I thought the villains had some decent motivations, all thing considered. I think the problem with the story was the storytelling itself - not so much the plot. Poor voice acting, bad pacing, iffy dialogue. I've heard they get some new voice actors in the expansions so I'm excited to see some of these characters "re-imagined" a bit, as I think the framework is definitely there.

Anyway - next up are the 2.x quests, which I hear is a major slog. I'm ready for it - I find those quests super relaxing to get through. I'll usually put on some Giant Bomb content and blast through it.

At some point I'll attempt the Crystal Tower raids before Heavensward as well as the Coil of Bahamut. I'm a little worried about Coil because it seems like you have to pre-make a group for that, as it doesn't really connect you with others during the Duty Finder. Hoping I can find 7 others to carry me through it and won't mind me watching the cutscenes (though I suppose I can watch them later at an inn).

Onwards to Heavensward!

I am a little ahead of you (level 59 but at mid point of 3.0 story wise). At least for me 2.x contents were not as bad as many had warned. The quests setup was about as bad as 2.0. So you will be fine if you had been through 2.0 content and didn't quit lol.. The 2.4-2.55 story was very nice leading to Heavensward.

And trust me 3.0 questing and other things are SO MUCH better than the 2.0-2.55 things. I have been having a blast!

I was doing the Crystal tower dungeons for the Moogle seals last couple of days and it was very easy lol. Still haven't done the coils as nobody was playing it. I guess I will try to make a non-sync party to just experience the story and boss fight haha....

Enjoy!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad they increased the amount of irregular tomestones that drop from duties. I haven't even tried to farm them and I'm at 73. I barely got 50 for the Pegasus last time.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
If I was playing THM in deep dungeon and now I'm BLM, do I have to start over? Also, I thought I read that you just want to repeat floors 51-60. How do you repeat them? Pretty sure the last time I went it wanted me to keep pushing higher.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I was playing THM in deep dungeon and now I'm BLM, do I have to start over? Also, I thought I read that you just want to repeat floors 51-60. How do you repeat them? Pretty sure the last time I went it wanted me to keep pushing higher.

PotD (and HoH) work on the save file system. As long as you can keep going on that file, it'll keep pushing you onward.
Clearing floor 50 and the follow-up quest will get you the option to start a new file from floor 51. So if you want to grind, you'd start a new file at floor 51, clear up to floor 60, reset the progress of that file, and repeat.

I don't remember how the class -> job thing works, however. If it locks you out and you haven't cleared 50 yet, I'd just start over and push to it as BLM.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I finally collected 90 triple triad cards and for a brief period I was pretty happy (thinking that I was going to be able to use 4-star cards...)

How wrong I was, 90 cards doesn't unlock the ability to play stronger cards in your deck, like when you hit 30 and 60.

Seriously, what is the point of the 4-star cards if there's no reason to use one of them over the superior 5-star cards? Ah well, guess I can now ease up on playing TT for a while.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Ooh! after weeks of saving and spending poetics, I think I'm getting close to finishing the anima weapon quest line. Collecting the last Singing Clusters now for the sharpened anima weapon step.

I haven't done the level 50 one (Zodiac weapon) and would like to know if it's the same story there(long & arduous)?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Probably around that, yeah
You have a very limited set of options though, and Castrum Abania is probably your best bet outside of roulettes

So Castrum Abania gives more exp than level 70 dungeons? That's weird.

Also, did Ten Chi Jin always cost 0 mudra? I remember an opener ending in that move and I assume it was because it cost 80 Mudra.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Castrum Abania gives more exp than level 70 dungeons? That's weird.

Also, did Ten Chi Jin always cost 0 mudra? I remember an opener ending in that move and I assume it was because it cost 80 Mudra.

Yeah, as a leveling dungeon, that's always been the case. 50-51 was Vale (although people probably didn't do that as much), 60-61 was Gubal.
Roulettes and then a few runs of Abania will get you there about as quickly as possible.

Leveling in ShB is kind of annoying because I really don't care for Switch, and Dohn Mheg's already lost its luster for me. Then there's Ravel and Well, which both kinda run together in my eyes. I still like most of Gulg, though.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Got my first Feast Victory! I'm on my way to the golden pony. Well, maybe. I lost like 3 times and won once so I don't know if I just got lucky or if I am getting a bit better at it or not.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got all crafters to 70. You would figure that since this expansion takes place in a different world that you wouldn't have to go back and get mats and it would be all contained in those zone but looked at the craft log and yeah I'm still gonna be spending aetheryte tickets teleporting and such lol

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They put up the pages for the halloween event and for patch 5.1:
All Saints Wake runs from 17 October to 1 November and is located in Old Gridania amphitheatre. rewards are an ahriman mount, pumpkin carriage furniture and a poster.
tAKL4Qb7osQ7XiGW44PVO-H6xw.jpg

Patch 5.1 Vows of Virtue, Deeds of Cruelty date is still listed as "late october", but they have put up images of the new dungeon The Grand Cosmos (which from the description is in Lakeland district of Norvrandt) and a new set of wolfish gear:
Azh9xDfgN9LIlkFWdk6aol0MWc.jpg

_dbHwTy9a5B4MckMdZuu02F8f8.jpg

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The description for the dungeon.

Long ago, on the far shore of the Source, a great palace was built by the elves─the Grand Cosmos, an edifice of such magnitude it was said to inspire envy in both the heavens for which it was named and the flowers that pervade its boundless gardens. As with so many wonders of the world that once was, its radiance quickly faded in the wake of the Flood, its halls falling silent, the throne sitting empty. That is, until the palace was given new purpose when a mage claimed it as their sanctuary, their only company being solace, solitude, and the legion of familiars barring entrance to any foolish enough to seek an audience.

Man I'm so excited for this patch. Almost more excited for it than any other game this year. (Well Pokémon might still be above it)

Please let us bring the Exarch into the new dungeon. I want to help him fulfill his wish on going on an adventure with us badly

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I got AST to 80. I still don't like it even with the changes from the last patch. It's just not that fun to play. Neutral Sect is super lame.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the raid tier last week. As someone who started the game around when 4.1 hit, this is the first time I took raiding seriously. Did it all in party finder, it's not always great but I can play on my own time and that's something very liberating. I think I will do only E4S from now on, just need the Edengrace body, I don't want to subject myself to a month of E2S and E3S for upgrades I can easily get with the next 24 man raid. E3S and E4S are really amazing fights. E2S was probably the hardest for me lol, but admittedly I did it on week 2 when the dps check was awful for a second tier.

I think I had in my mind that Savage later tiers were kinda of impossible with pug but after I got over the pressure it was not so bad.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Finally finished the raid tier last week. As someone who started the game around when 4.1 hit, this is the first time I took raiding seriously. Did it all in party finder, it's not always great but I can play on my own time and that's something very liberating. I think I will do only E4S from now on, just need the Edengrace body, I don't want to subject myself to a month of E2S and E3S for upgrades I can easily get with the next 24 man raid. E3S and E4S are really amazing fights. E2S was probably the hardest for me lol, but admittedly I did it on week 2 when the dps check was awful for a second tier.

I think I had in my mind that Savage later tiers were kinda of impossible with pug but after I got over the pressure it was not so bad.
This tier is a bit easier than Omega savage as well which is nice for puggers. I think they should stick with keeping savage as the 'midcore' difficulty while really ramping it up with ultimate.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
This tier is a bit easier than Omega savage as well which is nice for puggers. I think they should stick with keeping savage as the 'midcore' difficulty while really ramping it up with ultimate.

I think macros help a lot too in setting up the party at the start. They didn't seem so widespread in Stormblood, but as I've said I didn't take raiding seriouly then (I did the first two tiers of delta and sigma and that's it) so I might be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.