• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dang0

Oct 28, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
For better or worst, FEAST is the "competitive" PvP mode in the game. There is no way to effectively manage 72 players, which is why I think they are changing Frontlines next patch to have fewer players. I was listening to somebody talk about it, but I didn't watch the live letter since I'm still in the middle of Shadowbringers and don't wan't to be spoiled by anything.

I have 8 more wins before I'm done with GARO mounts, and have found that it's not even worth doing more than one frontline. Even with the advantage of being on the right team you still lose often enough to dumb stuff that you can't really predict the outcome.

On the plus Shadowbringers has been excellent so far.

It's the other way around, I believe. They're getting rid of 24 player, so it'll only be 74 players.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
For better or worst, FEAST is the "competitive" PvP mode in the game. There is no way to effectively manage 72 players, which is why I think they are changing Frontlines next patch to have fewer players. I was listening to somebody talk about it, but I didn't watch the live letter since I'm still in the middle of Shadowbringers and don't wan't to be spoiled by anything.

That's actually reversed, they are changing it so you can't have fewer players. All frontline matches will be 72 players now.
Edit: beaten by a second

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Well, I guess I got it totally wrong then! =) Frontlines are still a crapshoot if you care about winning, and apparently they will just stay that way.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder why they haven't talked about the new trial yet. I don't remember them being this secretive about Byakko in 4.1.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
thoughts on alexander ultimate:

instead of timegates being what they were in a12 you instead have to go save your static from disbanding on manipulator

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any of the blue feature quests that I should do immediately outside of the one that gave me the challenge book? I'm currently 32 and they didn't exist when I stopped playing, but are now all over the place and I have no idea if any of them are worth going back for.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any of the blue feature quests that I should do immediately outside of the one that gave me the challenge book? I'm currently 32 and they didn't exist when I stopped playing, but are now all over the place and I have no idea if any of them are worth going back for.
So, most of the ones you'll probably see will be the various class unlock quests (battle and crafting/gathering) and they'll be located in the main cities at the various guilds, but if you see any blue plus mark quests outside of those locations you should at least check out what the quest is since it probably won't be unlocking a new class. (Outside of when you hit 50 and the red mage/samurai quests pop up)

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, most of the ones you'll probably see will be the various class unlock quests (battle and crafting/gathering) and they'll be located in the main cities at the various guilds, but if you see any blue plus mark quests outside of those locations you should at least check out what the quest is since it probably won't be unlocking a new class. (Outside of when you hit 50 and the red mage/samurai quests pop up)
Thanks! Glad I can skip most of them for now, seemed like it would have been a pretty big momentum killer.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Landsblood has got to be the most annoying attack ever. You've got like half a second to move to a safe spot. Fuck that shit.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Landsblood has got to be the most annoying attack ever. You've got like half a second to move to a safe spot. Fuck that shit.

the puddles that are about to blow look different from the ones that will blow the next round, so it's not that hard to know where your safe spot will be.

then again i main bard and can just move wherever all the time so positional shit never bothers me lmao

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I believe I have now finished every single side quest that isn't role locked in Shadowbringers. Honestly a joy to do while leveling. Tons of great little stories and interactions.

Level 79 with DRK. So close to 80 now.

edit: also explain something to me. If a weapon has higher item level but weaker strength, which one do you actually want? The one with higher strength or the one with the higher item level?

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I believe I have now finished every single side quest that isn't role locked in Shadowbringers. Honestly a joy to do while leveling. Tons of great little stories and interactions.

Level 79 with DRK. So close to 80 now.

edit: also explain something to me. If a weapon has higher item level but weaker strength, which one do you actually want? The one with higher strength or the one with the higher item level?
Weapon damage trumps all. The higher item level one will likely have a higher weapon damage stat which would beat any strength increase the lower ilv one might have.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, been playing the free trial for a couple weeks now, havent had a lot of time to really 'get into it's but have been thinking about paying to play.

Should I just finish all the story quests I can do first? Is there a lot of stuff the a low level player can do that is locked behind paying? I will probably be able to play quite a but the next month or two, so that is why I'm looking at paying now. I do plan to do all the story stuff, not planning on taking my current character right towards the end.

Appreciate the help. There is a lot of info out there on the game, but I havent really found a good '2019 starters guide'

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw someone with a pure white level 70 SAM AF gear. I'm so jealous. Why'd it have to be Eureka?

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
Didn't see it posted earlier but if anyone liked Dad of Light and live in the vicinity of the Los Angeles area, they had made a theatrical version. It had been a big deal announcement for JP FanFest. They recast etc [the father (Osugi Ren) in the Netflix show passed away.]

I have to be careful as November 3rd is my mother's birthday. I'm already trying to think of how to get to UCI (in Irvine, CA) for a ffxivsocalgathering and now this. @_@ I may have to just go to Hollywood and say "too bad ma" @_@;

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, the new mount from the seasonal event is pretty cool. Kind of like how the event quest gives it a little bit of a backstory too.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Why does this game insist on pairing me with the same terrible healer who stands there and only casts cure, and sarcastically says Nice Job! As if we were supposed to win this for them. I hope they never get their mount

Edit: i'm going healer. Just 7 wins to go

Seriously I got the same healer 8 games in a row

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, been playing the free trial for a couple weeks now, havent had a lot of time to really 'get into it's but have been thinking about paying to play.

Should I just finish all the story quests I can do first? Is there a lot of stuff the a low level player can do that is locked behind paying? I will probably be able to play quite a but the next month or two, so that is why I'm looking at paying now. I do plan to do all the story stuff, not planning on taking my current character right towards the end.

Appreciate the help. There is a lot of info out there on the game, but I havent really found a good '2019 starters guide'
If the free trial restrictions aren't bothering you just keep going till the lv cap allows you. You'll probably reach it before you reach the same point with the story though so it'll be up to you whether to fork over the cash so your xp points don't go to waste.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
RfDUhG1.png

Got the last horse, got everything from that event now. Well that I care to have, obviously there are some classes I don't play so I don't have their clothes, but everything I could get, I Got

Just saw someone with a pure white level 70 SAM AF gear. I'm so jealous. Why'd it have to be Eureka?
Shoulda did eureka, I made millions of gill got dope weapons and clothes

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Hit 70 on Red Mage last night, 10 levels away from the 'Soul of Magic' title, and I've been enjoying the absolute shit out of it. Slots in nicely behind Black Mage as my second favorite job now. The rotation was fun to figure out and is satisfying as all hell, splashing them with the black and whites before dashing in and hittin' em like Zorro, backflipping out and dropping a Verflare. I fucking love it. If the 71-80 skills are as good for RDM as the other jobs I've leveled, I'll only keep loving it more.

The sense of style is amazing, too. The clothing looks great and the victory pose has no right being that cool.

I hate Arya, though. Not only does she look exactly like my character with blonde hair, almost every job quest is rescuing her from something or another. It feels like I'm babysitting my little sister. I could have tossed her off the side of Foundation, taken her place, and nobody would have been the wiser. At least X'rhun Tia is awesome.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the level 80 DRK quest and what a phenomenal ending to that story line. I have said it once and I'll say it again, I absolutely love this game. The quality of stories that are optional go so far above what other games do.

So I guess I'll have to level Summoner/Scholar in order to knock out both the magical DPS and healer role quest. But that's a long journey since I'm starting at 1 and definitely won't be finished before 5.1 comes out.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Feels good to cap from a single hunt train. lol. Might just do that every week.

Also, I want that FF8 boat mount. ;_;

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Only" 20 wins to go, it was rough at the start but now I don't suck as badly and can do well enough to get some wins out of Feast.

I should be able to get the rest of victories during next week and weekend. After this I'm so not touching PvP for a good while. Being healer on Feast is stressing as fuck.

Level 76 magical DPS role quest spoilers.

This elf woman is really suspicious.

Is so cool seeing that character, she was on the 1.0 trailer (all of them are), so it was a nice touch (she was missing from the 3.x main quests)

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
If the free trial restrictions aren't bothering you just keep going till the lv cap allows you. You'll probably reach it before you reach the same point with the story though so it'll be up to you whether to fork over the cash so your xp points don't go to waste.
Thanks. I'll just go to the exp or story stop, whatever is first and then buy it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just unlocked Tsubame-gaeshi with SAM. I should be prioritizing the powered up Higanbana over Setsugekka right? I imagine after those 60 seconds I would've done way more damage with Higanbana than the two Setsugekka.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
"Only" 20 wins to go, it was rough at the start but now I don't suck as badly and can do well enough to get some wins out of Feast.

I should be able to get the rest of victories during next week and weekend. After this I'm so not touching PvP for a good while. Being healer on Feast is stressing as fuck.

Is so cool seeing that character, she was on the 1.0 trailer (all of them are), so it was a nice touch (she was missing from the 3.x main quests)

Yeah, it feels like a totally different mindset. I spaced myself out in order to do it, tried to do 1 or 2 wins a day just so that I don't get too stressed out. I enjoy Feast a lot, but it's definitely different than most other content I've played so far.

I have 1 win to go for the 60 wins, so I'm confident I can get it today and then maybe just queue in for fun. Thinking about playing SAM for a bit, since they are really powerful in PvP.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I hated healing on the feast. It's incredibly stressful and also I was bad at it. I switched over to SMN and had a much better time. I make liberal use of that focus target countdown thing and it works prertty well. I'd prefer the other dps or tank do it but if they don't I'll step up.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying the ShB MSQ on my alt and I'm at the point where
Emet "saves" Y'shtola.

... is it possible Emet simply manifested a "new" Y'shtola out of aether rather than retrieving her soul? Since Ascians can do that sort of thing. Probably just overthinking it, but it's a little interesting in retrospect.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Is there anything good to dump Allagan Tomestone of Poetics into if you don't really need them for anything gear related? I am about capped again and don't really see an immediate use for them.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
I just unlocked Tsubame-gaeshi with SAM. I should be prioritizing the powered up Higanbana over Setsugekka right? I imagine after those 60 seconds I would've done way more damage with Higanbana than the two Setsugekka.

Tsubame'd Higanbana doesn't stack with it so it'd just refresh the DoT you just applied. In normal rotation things, Tsubame basically exists solely for Midare and the cornerstone of the rotation is making sure it doesn't get delayed.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Feast is hard on healers. If you're not a little confident you can cause pain and misery. If you're good everyone will love you as a demigod.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Tsubame'd Higanbana doesn't stack with it so it'd just refresh the DoT you just applied. In normal rotation things, Tsubame basically exists solely for Midare and the cornerstone of the rotation is making sure it doesn't get delayed.
Yeah I just realized that they don't stack and a Kaiten'd Higanbana is basically just as strong if not stronger. I wonder if they'll change it so that they do stack. Kaeshi: Higanbana seems useless as is.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Since healers are so powerful in feast I make a point of stressing them out by getting other dps to low health before attacking the healer and making their life hard. I don't envy anyone who plays that role in pvp because one mistake could forfeit the match.

When I do play healer I've gotten used to moving around LoS obstacles and throwing instant heals out while the enemy tank and dps are wailing on me basically the entire fight. It really sucks when you get a clueless tank and tunnel vision dps who all choose different targets and lets the entire enemy team focus you down.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just realized that they don't stack and a Kaiten'd Higanbana is basically just as strong if not stronger. I wonder if they'll change it so that they do stack. Kaeshi: Higanbana seems useless as is.

They will never change them to stack. It's a god Dot and having 2 of them would be crazy. It's super situational but useful for split ads like in Eden 1 transition. Or on small 3ish pulls with big enemies. The upgraded higanbana only needs to tick 3 times to surpass a goken which is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.