• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Thanks for the tips on new NIN. Starting to get the hang of it and yeah the burst damage seems insane. So for hunts and solo stuff it's nice.

Any idea where NIN stacks up on the overall raid meta since trick went from 10% -> 5% but personal DPS increased?

You just hard cast Ninjutsus, and use the dot during Trick Attack, past that it's more or less the same class as it was in 5.0. If you mean you haven't played since 4.x though, that's a whole bigger issue. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1otFJjmazk1z55gbcynSHQyXOzC2IvnNUM_q5KwVWvvg/preview This is the balance guide, I'm not sure how accurately updated it is for the current patch, but it should give you an idea of the 5.x playstyle and the new additions. If you meant 5.1 honestly just hit a dummy for a little bit and you'll see it's very much the same as it was before but instead of doing shadow fang combos you spend those GCDs on doing Ninjutsus and that's really the main difference(well cooldowns line up better too, no more Meisui calculations since it's always up with TCJ for example).

Class is actually absurd for leveling/soloing, been doing my beast tribes and hunt bounties with NIN and it's hilarious how strong it is at bursting down solo mobs when you can reset both charges of ninjutsus inbetween every fight. Gameplay reminds me of that old LARP video with the kid yelling Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt, it's just Raiton Raiton Kassatsu Raiton(no 76) and stuff is close to dead, then next one TCJ Shuriken Raiton Suiton Raiton Raiton, don't end up meleeing all that much.

As for your crafting question, not sure what you mean Rapid Synth was never 100% even with SH2, it was 90% and was basically something you never used unless it was a hailmary or you were trying to, well, rapid synth items like for Namazu quests and what not. The main strategy, before and after the change, is to use Delicate Synthesis(100% synth and touch), only now you slip ingenuity and innovation before your delicates to get better progress, and then you finish with the usual great strides byregot and a careful or basic synth to finish depending on values. You start with Reflect(gives Inner Quiet and +2 stacks for only 24CP) and use Manip and/or Waste Not II to keep durability in check, after that it's fine tuning depending on stats and items created, with preparatory or prudent touches as needed to build stacks without moving progress, but this is the basics. It's honestly very similar to prepatch, just with less filler stuff like Steady Hands and Comfort Zone(although arguably the new innovation kinda does that).

Ah, yeah I always just kind of did my own thing with crafting. I'd use inner quiet and then steady hand & waste not and then use rapid synth at yeah 90% chance to make fast progress until I was 1 careful synth away from completion and then just focus on quality touches finishing with great strides and bygrot and then a careful synth.

After messing with the new options, it actually seems easier now to HQ everything? I'm using reflect + that 100% progress + 100% quality one with the 150% quality on goods and then when quality is maxed out I use that new elementals thing that doubles progress for the next 3 attempts and then the 100% progress (now 200% progress) x 3 to finish anything.

Then again like I said, I've always just been winging it crafting for hundreds of hours and never used any macros or guides on the the most efficient way to craft. Never bothered trying to craft HQ 40 durability stuff, but now I definitely will.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, i watch shit from points all the time

if i'm aware of the story then i have experienced that build up

Ah well. I just found out there's no EXP in NG+ anyway, so that's gonna be a skip from me. Would've been nice to finally level up a mage or healer class but fuuuuuuuck that. Too damn tired of deep dungeons and MSG Roulette.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Why do NG+ when you can make an alt says the guy with 8 characters on one server

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
emet-selch: "blah blah the world was so much better in my day, i'll kill you all to make it whole again rargh blargh"
wol: "ok boomer"

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Is the solvent used to upgrade your tome weapons usually locked behind Savage? I guess I've only upgraded gear before and never done the 1000 tome + prototype tomestone to get the weapon and thought I could just upgrade it to i470 with an item from the raid like you do with gear.

If the whole point of the tome gear/weapons is so that non-savage playing people can spend a billion hours grinding tomes instead to gear up, why would the solvent be locked behind savage?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Is the solvent used to upgrade your tome weapons usually locked behind Savage? I guess I've only upgraded gear before and never done the 1000 tome + prototype tomestone to get the weapon and thought I could just upgrade it to i470 with an item from the raid like you do with gear.

If the whole point of the tome gear/weapons is so that non-savage playing people can spend a billion hours grinding tomes instead to gear up, why would the solvent be locked behind savage?
The dip is locked until the .odd8 (5.18 in this case) series patch. Usually around the time they make savage gear drop per run instead of weekly. If you need an upgrade beyond i460 without going through crafted + unlimited tomes or weekly tomes you'll have to beat Hades Ex 5 times (or get lucky).

This was patch 4.18

Edit: To add on its locked behind savage as gear progression. It makes DPS checks easier as you get more clears so you feel like you're making progress due to what I'd call gear echo rather than actual personal DPS improvement (Assuming the barrier to clearing is DPS checks and not dying to mechanics)

Last edited:

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Oh thanks, I've never really paid attention to the patches between .1 patches. Didn't know that.

Doesn't hildebrand come between .1 and .2 at some point as well?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Oh thanks, I've never really paid attention to the patches between .1 patches. Didn't know that.

Doesn't hildebrand come between .1 and .2 at some point as well?
Usually starts in the .25 series and continues every .X5 until the finale in .55. Relic series should also start in .25

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally all crafters at 80. Now to craft the gear to craft the new gear.

Also since I can officially do it myself I melded everything appropriately for Black Mage BiS Officially doing Eden runs to gear alts.

Last edited:

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Finally all crafters at 80. Now to craft the gear to craft the new gear.

Also since I can officially do it myself I melded everything appropriately for Black Mage BiS Officially doing Eden runs to gear alts.
Melding especially old left side gear is bit questionable at this point as doh melds are up in price, tho the 430 melded to the brim can 0-100 all the new gear...

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Melding especially old left side gear is bit questionable at this point as doh melds are up in price, tho the 430 melded to the brim can 0-100 all the new gear...
Kai Shirr collectables should get you a decent amount of white script (In addition to one of the other four custom deliveries) that you should get all your guaranteed melds done and a few overmelds if you decide to grind some white scripture out.

The real pain in the ass is the 3rd and 4th forbidden melds.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Kai Shirr collectables should get you a decent amount of white script (In addition to one of the other four custom deliveries) that you should get all your guaranteed melds done and a few overmelds if you decide to grind some white scripture out.

The real pain in the ass is the 3rd and 4th forbidden melds.
pumping out cunning syrups for rowena is the best way to get ton of yellow scripts

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Doesn't using mudras still incur a 1s gcd? And they have the weaponskill gcd right? So if you use Aeolian edge and then want to use a mudra combo, you have to wait until your normal gcd is done before you can start them.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The resources spent on Trusts and NG+ could have been spent on something else, I honestly think they were a waste.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The resources spent on Trusts and NG+ could have been spent on something else, I honestly think they were a waste.
I really like the trust system if for nothing else than it makes the scions actually feel like traditional ff party members. All they need now is to give us a bit of customization on setting up their gambits or a menu command system to tell them to aoe or focus target, shield, etc. The npc dps is low but I get that this is to avoid people afk leveling.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas

I wouldn't go that far on the Trusts thing, as there are lots of people that would prefer to do stuff solo. I'm just sort of annoyed they make leveling them such a grind. At least from what I read, as I wasn't around for ShB launch and don't know if they've boosted them since.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Trusts are a nice risk free of practicing the basics certain classes. I've used them for scholar.

Unfortunately they're not that useful as practice as they are too good at dodging mechanics and too slow at pulling/DPS-ing.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Yeah, I love the trusts from a story perspective mostly. Now they don't have to find an excuse for them disappear for the dungeon, which makes a way more sense then the old "secure the entrance" duty they were usually stuck with.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
They really need to change how level syncing works. Finally hit 80 Black Mage and man it's great fun in the later levels, but roulettes are a real pain in the ass with the rotation changing all the time.

Just readjust stat syncing and let people have all the skills they've earned on the job thus far.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Pixie beast tribe quests giving like 1/10th of a level in exp per quest is blowing my mind. These used to be just barely worth the time investment. Between this and the DOL/DOH exp buffs, it seems like they recognized the EXP grind needed to be addressed.

Does anyone know if they tweaked old beast tribe quest EXP up as well?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. I love trusts. They mean I can do a dungeon on my first try at my own pace without waiting half an hour for a DPS queue or dealing with jerks who just want me to AOE rush the entire way through and yell at me when I don't.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Nah. I love trusts. They mean I can do a dungeon on my first try at my own pace without waiting half an hour for a DPS queue or dealing with jerks who just want me to AOE rush the entire way through and yell at me when I don't.
Tbh, modern dungeons seem pretty easy for AOE rushing anyway

But yes, sometimes not having to deal with people is a blessing 😅

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to change how level syncing works. Finally hit 80 Black Mage and man it's great fun in the later levels, but roulettes are a real pain in the ass with the rotation changing all the time.

Just readjust stat syncing and let people have all the skills they've earned on the job thus far.

Yes please.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, the endless MSQs between the end of ARR and Heavensward are mind numbing.

Teleporting to 10 different places to talk to some people and progress the story by an inch is not fun.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Pixie beast tribe quests giving like 1/10th of a level in exp per quest is blowing my mind. These used to be just barely worth the time investment. Between this and the DOL/DOH exp buffs, it seems like they recognized the EXP grind needed to be addressed.

Does anyone know if they tweaked old beast tribe quest EXP up as well?

I haven't looked at beast tribe quests specifically, but the dwarf quests were showing the level sync icon and weren't giving anywhere near as much exp as the pixie quests are. I think it was like 300k exp? I didn't look too closely, just noticed it wasn't anywhere near the 1.8 million exp pixies give.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I haven't looked at beast tribe quests specifically, but the dwarf quests were showing the level sync icon and weren't giving anywhere near as much exp as the pixie quests are. I think it was like 300k exp? I didn't look too closely, just noticed it wasn't anywhere near the 1.8 million exp pixies give.

Dwarves aren't implemented yet afaik, are you talking about sidequests?

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Yeah, I meant the side quests. Was mainly trying to say the other beast quests may not be the same crazy exp because even though they're all level sync quests, the dwarf side quests don't give near as much.

I know... I know they're not beast tribe quests. I said originally that I understood they weren't beast tribe quests, and I hadn't checked them. I only mentioned it because they were level sync quests as well. :(

Last edited:

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Because the Dwarves are not beast tribe quests. Those are just side quests. They're two different quest types when it comes to their EXP rewards.

The old beast tribes give around 355k/quest for 70+.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I need to unlock the pixie quests and start levelling them. I started the MSQ last night. I need to unlock Kai Shirr, too, and do his custom deliveries before reset tomorrow.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't using mudras still incur a 1s gcd? And they have the weaponskill gcd right? So if you use Aeolian edge and then want to use a mudra combo, you have to wait until your normal gcd is done before you can start them.
Ninjutsus are now on the GCD, so yeah you have to wait, they act like any other GCD, only have very short cooldowns themselves(kinda like when you overheat on MCH). The only weaving you do now is the usual Mug, Bhakavra(which you do quite a bit more often since they adjusted the costs of Ninki abilities to 50 instead of 80), Trick attack, Dream within a dream > assassinate and finally you can start TCJ while on GCD. Rest is on GCD, so you basically replace a standard combo(say your Shadow Fang combo, since you don't need the first 2 steps for that) with a Ninjutsu cast(0.5s per mudra then 1.5s for the ninjutsu, so 2.5s for Raiton like a standard GCD although not affected by skillspeed/huton so a bit longer). Might trip you a few times at first when you try to weave mudras and they don't come out/the 2nd one gets queued up after your current GCD, but once you're use to them on the GCD it's fine tbh, is fairly similar to DNC steps without the whole locking all your abilities, or well they're still effectively locked since you get a rabbit if you don't finish your ninjutsu without pressing a random button.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I did Grand Cosmos last night. It was the first time I have done any combat stuff sine 5.1. The new TCJ is great. It should have been like this from the beginning.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wouldn't go that far on the Trusts thing, as there are lots of people that would prefer to do stuff solo. I'm just sort of annoyed they make leveling them such a grind. At least from what I read, as I wasn't around for ShB launch and don't know if they've boosted them since.

The XP gain for each trust NPC got boosted pretty significantly after launch, from what I recall it got boosted to something like 2.5 times the XP they were getting initially. Still a bit of grind to get them to 80 (think the math is about 23 runs or so to level 3 trust members to 80), but nowhere near as bad as before.

I like the Trust system a lot, and glad they're continuing it for the 5.x MSQ dungeons. I always get a bit of 'healer anxiety' running new content for the first time, and it's nice to do ShB story dungeons in Trust completely stress free going in blind, and also getting some dialog from the Trust party that adds to the story a bit.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I like trusts. I got to the 5.1 dungeon and wasn't sure if I had enough time before I had to leave to run the whole dungeon so I just started it with trusts to check it out and ended up finishing it but no anxiety about if I had to have bailed out 2/3rds through. Very helpful at times.

I did Grand Cosmos last night. It was the first time I have done any combat stuff sine 5.1. The new TCJ is great. It should have been like this from the beginning.

I'm dumb and don't get what's different with TCJ?

You still have to stand still and each button still does a ninjutsu one after another. What's changed?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
You used to have to use the Ninjutsu after each mudra. It went from six buttons to three.

oh so instead of hitting A->(activate ninjutsu) -> B-> (activate ninjutsu) -> C -> (activate ninjutsu)
it's just A (auto activates ninjutsu) -> B (auto activates ninjutsu) -> C (auto activates ninjutsu)

I guess that makes sense. I'm so used to hitting the activate ninjutsu button I don't even notice it.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ptolemaios
Trusts are a waste of time. I can queue for a dungeon, wait my 10-15 minutes, and usually do the dungeon with randoms faster than I could with Trusts.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Old beast tribe quests are always decent experience if you are in the level range. The amount tanks if you go over.

Like, the Namazu quests were a great, cheap way to level crafters from 69-70. But once you hit 79, the exp received tanks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, modern dungeons seem pretty easy for AOE rushing anyway

But yes, sometimes not having to deal with people is a blessing 😅

It's less a question of difficulty and more "I like to multitask while playing and being constantly yelled at to run forward and spam AOEs or pull half the dungeon at once so the mage can nuke everything is not really fun".

scy

Oct 25, 2017
It takes like ... 20 minutes to do a trust as a DPS from when I went through some leveling dungeons on DRG, DNC.

Really, the biggest benefit was I could pull and then afk as they clear trash. Much slower but hey. AFK.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's less a question of difficulty and more "I like to multitask while playing and being constantly yelled at to run forward and spam AOEs or pull half the dungeon at once so the mage can nuke everything is not really fun".

Idk man, watching giant mobs get nuked is fun as hell. I hate small pulls. My last SAM run of Mt. Gulg had a little Lala WHM in it that went full Rambo asking for bigass pulls. She went hard as fuck.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Idk man, watching giant mobs get nuked is fun as hell. I hate small pulls. My last SAM run of Mt. Gulg had a little Lala WHM in it that went full Rambo asking for bigass pulls. She went hard as fuck.

If I'm in the mood for it it's fine. But I don't really enjoy it when I want to take my time and chat while playing.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Trusts are a waste of time. I can queue for a dungeon, wait my 10-15 minutes, and usually do the dungeon with randoms faster than I could with Trusts.

Yeah no way that happens if you hit 15mins queue, MAYBE with 10mins queues. Dungeons take south of 20mins in pubs unless you get super lucky on your DPS and healer(and tank too to an extent) and will often be close to 25 than 20 in my experience, at least leveling. Expert roulette is faster granted, at least most of the time, due to overgearing. Trust dungeons take 25-30mins depending on how fast you're going and if you're familiar with what you can double pull and how. They're not great for leveling efficiently since during the queue you can keep getting xp so the total xp is a lot higher but for say doing the dungeon the first time without pressure, doing the dungeon when you know you might have to afk halfway, doing the dungeon while you watch netflix with even less input(pull pack, go afk, obviously works best when using a DPS but works on tank if you throw a couple of aoes before alt tabbing) and farming specific gear without a group of people, they're great.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm in the mood for it it's fine. But I don't really enjoy it when I want to take my time and chat while playing.
At least for level 80 dungeons in expert roulette, that just sounds like you're wasting people's time. It's especially annoying as healer when a DPS is semi afk or not AOEing, since they're not the ones who have to deal with the problems from that.

If not expert dungeons then yeah, it's whatever but even in leveling dungeons it can be a bit iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.