• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've never done a single sidequest that doesn't unlock a feature since I started the game. I want to do them just to clear up the maps, but I have so many to do that I know I'll never do them.
I do them on alt jobs to pass the time, like if im queuing for something that is 10m+, il clear out some sidequests on a alt for some free xp and to play the alt job a bit /shrug

This is what I do on DPS queues. Now that I finished all of them I guess I'll just take a nap or something when I queue up.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not sure how you guys say you can do 70-80 with just the MSQ (or until 78-79 as some said). I went into ShB at 71, so 1 level "ahead". The initial Ali / Alphi questlines took me to almost 72 (the are lvl 70 so you assume they would take one to 71), but then the 71-72 bracket is literally just 2 MSQs, the dungeon quest and then the conclusion of what happens there. Two MSQs would take noone from 71 to 72.

No, the M72 MSQ bracket is just 8 quests until you need 73 for the next one. 8 quests at 540k xp is roughly 5-6mill xp, and you need 15.5mill to go from 72 to 73.

So yeah, you absolutely cannot just do the MSQ in ShB.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
not sure how you guys say you can do 70-80 with just the MSQ (or until 78-79 as some said). I went into ShB at 71, so 1 level "ahead". The initial Ali / Alphi questlines took me to almost 72 (the are lvl 70 so you assume they would take one to 71), but then the 71-72 bracket is literally just 2 MSQs, the dungeon quest and then the conclusion of what happens there. Two MSQs would take noone from 71 to 72.

No, the M72 MSQ bracket is just 8 quests until you need 73 for the next one. 8 quests at 540k xp is roughly 5-6mill xp, and you need 15.5mill to go from 72 to 73.

So yeah, you absolutely cannot just do the MSQ in ShB.
You can't. I did MSQ and the leveling roulette everyday and I still was level locked a couple times.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Finally did Leviathan Extreme for the first time. Including me, 3 of us were doing this for the first time. We managed to get it all done with 5 minutes left on the clock and barely dodged another party wipe.

Ended up snagging the Horse from it too.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finally did Leviathan Extreme for the first time. Including me, 3 of us were doing this for the first time. We managed to get it all done with 5 minutes left on the clock and barely dodged another party wipe.

Just a heads up that you can do those unsynched. Makes them super easy to grind for mounts.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Try to collect all of those horse, and you'll a quest to get another horse. Also Conjurer/White Mage gives out a horse too.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm REALLY not a fan of these MSQ duties with the bullet sponge bosses tbh, in any expansion. It just makes the fights take ages for no reason and just makes me dump it down to easy or very easy just to get it done with.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm REALLY not a fan of these MSQ duties with the bullet sponge bosses tbh, in any expansion. It just makes the fights take ages for no reason and just makes me dump it down to easy or very easy just to get it done with.
I kind of disagree. Sometimes they pull it off very well.

*shadowbringers*

Like the Zenos fight right before SHB where you finally kick his ass on your own.

Really felt like an epic rival duel.

Overall, I think they've made great progress in making the big solo content battles feel more meaningful and epic.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Try to collect all of those horse, and you'll a quest to get another horse. Also Conjurer/White Mage gives out a horse too.
Outside of wanting to get them done, that's what I'm aiming for.

Just a heads up that you can do those unsynched. Makes them super easy to grind for mounts.
I have a really high level friend, but I want to try it out naturally before I ask for essentially a free clear.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of disagree. Sometimes they pull it off very well.

*shadowbringers*

Like the Zenos fight right before SHB where you finally kick his ass on your own.

Really felt like an epic rival duel.

Overall, I think they've made great progress in making the big solo content battles feel more meaningful and epic.

they take too long and if you fail, like I just did, you have to start over from the start, and if its a duty with a ton of trash before the boss, its a pain in my opinion (like this battle vs that old guy general just now). I get enough of that shit in dungeons, where granted that's the whole point. Here, I'm just trying to level and see the story, not fail and have to re-do 15mins worth of meaningless fodder and 15 mins of a boss with 10 health bars worth of health. To each it's own.

edit: to be fair, bullet sponging is one of my major pet peeves in games and the absolute WORSE way devs can make things "difficult"

did they add difficulty levels to solo duties in the last couple of patches? I don't remember this option.

when you fail you can drop it down to easy or very easy.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I had been pretty disappointed in the way solo content was handled before HW patch content started changing things.

Now they feel like they have abit of meat on them so a light breeze doesn't knock them over and can be more interesting mechanically.

Like you said tho, to each their own.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Il Mheg so I guess I'll have those Pixie dailies soon enough Justin

edit: surprised you can get flying so fast in Lakeland. Pleasently surprised that is.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
they take too long and if you fail, like I just did, you have to start over from the start, and if its a duty with a ton of trash before the boss, its a pain in my opinion (like this battle vs that old guy general just now). I get enough of that shit in dungeons, where granted that's the whole point. Here, I'm just trying to level and see the story, not fail and have to re-do 15mins worth of meaningless fodder and 15 mins of a boss with 10 health bars worth of health. To each it's own.

edit: to be fair, bullet sponging is one of my major pet peeves in games and the absolute WORSE way devs can make things "difficult"

There's one near the end of Shadowbringers that is the worst in the game. It takes about 15 minutes to clear it. It's terrible.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
As happy as I was to finally see a gunblade class (while disappointed that its not DPS), was kind of bummed they went the "garlemald aren't using real gunblades apparently" route.

I was hoping that job would be more linked to the empire and you would maybe get a Garlean mentor and a magitek armor suit as artifact gear ala Gaius or Julia.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Yeah, not too get too much into spoilers, but the fights with that guy in particular are pretty tedious. Not difficult, but just takes too long to finish them. One of the very few things I didn't like about the 5.0 MSQ.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Haven't played in 2 days now guess I'm feeling a burn out . Wish that starting HW would be enough to carry my attention but it feels like ARR all over again quest wise. Idk what to do

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Imo burning through the MSQ is just not a good idea when you have years of legacy content to catch up on.

The content is barely content, it's a treadmill of story events that unlocks the really good stuff like trials and raids.

Its unfortunate that it's hard to get groups for ARR ex content cause it's worth checking some of that stuff out if you can.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As happy as I was to finally see a gunblade class (while disappointed that its not DPS), was kind of bummed they went the "garlemald aren't using real gunblades apparently" route.

I was hoping that job would be more linked to the empire and you would maybe get a Garlean mentor and a magitek armor suit as artifact gear ala Gaius or Julia.

GNB lore is the greatest thing in this game, tbh.

1uc7C0r.jpg

But yeah, I would have loved to see it connected to Garlemald more, if only to get more of a glimpse into the Empire.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So I just unlocked Technical Step with DNC. Does it make Standard Step pointless?

Edit: Nvm just realize they have their own separate buffs.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that, in regards to the scions

They ain't going back to the source until at least 5.5. Unless somehow Ryne and mystery girl take over for the Eden raid, Uriange and Thancred are part of that story line until at least 5.4

May 30, 2018
hey y'all- how often does the Complete Edition on PC go on sale? i know it just was and grabbed a key for myself but i convinced a friend to possibly join me tonight and just realized it wasn't on sale anymore. figure i can have them join me in the trial mode until it goes back on sale again.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Still trucking along and having a lot of fun. I finally just hit my first level gate nearly at the end of ARR/2.0 with 8 missions to go; I have to be level 49 to accept the next MSQ and I'm only about a third of the way to 48 currently. I've consistently been staying 2-3 levels ahead of everything up until now just by doing the class Hunting Log (I accidentally found out there was a GC hunting log this morning lol), the first daily leveling roulette and otherwise just mainlining the MSQ. Haven't done a single non + sidequest since the very starting area. I know I've still got a ways to go (I know there's a ton of stuff post 2.0 before HW starts proper) but overall I've still been having a blast and I haven't found it nearly as laborious/awful as a lot of people seem to say. I'm sure part of that is me coming to it this late (IIRC the MSQ XP rewards and other things have been largely buffed since 2.0 launch) as well as me having a pretty big tolerance for grindy shit, but I think also since this is my first MMO I'm not nearly as burnt out on the talk to people and fetch quest bullshit as some others might.

Looking forward to hopefully clearing 2.0 sometime this week and starting in towards actually hitting HW.....which is probably at least another week or two. On a side note do the DoL/DoH jobs just get stupid XP gains? I've only been playing a Botanist on the side while in DPS duty finder queues on my main, and right now my Botanist is sitting at freaking level 48, and this is why my Bard was at 42. I've only done one daily GC turn-in as well which was a full level at the time, and fieldcraft leves also seem to give incredibly high XP. Did they want people to kind of just speed through these jobs?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
On a side note do the DoL/DoH jobs just get stupid XP gains? I've only been playing a Botanist on the side while in DPS duty finder queues on my main, and right now my Botanist is sitting at freaking level 48, and this is why my Bard was at 42. I've only done one daily GC turn-in as well which was a full level at the time, and fieldcraft leves also seem to give incredibly high XP. Did they want people to kind of just speed through these jobs?
Patch 5.1 massively increased the levelling speed of the DoL/DoH jobs, it used to be much, much slower

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
hey y'all- how often does the Complete Edition on PC go on sale? i know it just was and grabbed a key for myself but i convinced a friend to possibly join me tonight and just realized it wasn't on sale anymore. figure i can have them join me in the trial mode until it goes back on sale again.
Yeah the free trial is your best option until it goes on sale again.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Different cooldowns too. Technical is a DPS cooldown, Standard is part of your rotation and a buff you maintain.

So am I supposed to be using Standard every time it's available regardless of how much more of the buff duration I have?

Also, just used MCH for the first time in an actual dungeon at level 75 and goddamn this job is hectic and stressful. My eyes are like this:

giphy.gif

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Re-learning Summoner, and I always forget that Carbuncle likes to run off to Narnia whenever Aetherpact comes off cooldown if I don't use Place. :^)

So am I supposed to be using Standard every time it's available regardless of how much more of the buff duration I have?

Also, just used MCH for the first time in an actual dungeon at level 75 and goddamn this job is hectic and stressful. My eyes are like this:

Use them on cooldown, as they'll align well. Standard has a c/d of 30s, while Technical has a c/d of 120s.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I actually logged in today and did content for the first time since November. Got SAM from 70 to 72 today. My goal for 5.2 is to get all the melee dps BiS. Thankfully 3 of them share accessories.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I actually logged in today and did content for the first time since November. Got SAM from 70 to 72 today. My goal for 5.2 is to get all the melee dps BiS. Thankfully 3 of them share accessories.
Highly recommend you save phantasmagoria until 5.2 launch so you can make a lot of gil selling it or make your i480 crafted gear.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

yes it hits like a truck. Also you want to be close-ish to the mobs / boss even tho Dancer is technically a "ranged dps" because all your aoe is around YOU, not the mobs, and for example when you use Flourish to get feathers, you want to dump all the procs, including the aoe procs (which would fizzle if you stood miles away like a black mage or something)

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Titan Extreme is now done. The only ones I have to do now are Odin and the Moogle one.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that, in regards to the scions

They ain't going back to the source until at least 5.5. Unless somehow Ryne and mystery girl take over for the Eden raid, Uriange and Thancred are part of that story line until at least 5.4

Not necessarily
Part of the Eden story revolves around Ryne learning to do things on her own and not rely on Thancred etc so much so they could easily write it so that she finished it up on her own (with your help of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.