• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
I do wish blood/life of the dragon is always 30 seconds so you don't lose it during down time

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
All jobs under level50 are dull with limited movesets.

what truly sucks is since HW is how slow overworld travel is since Aether Currents. It finally clicked how slowit is when I was in IL Mehg I was in regalia and a other player ran past quicker not even sprinting.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
what truly sucks is since HW is how slow overworld travel is since Aether Currents. It finally clicked how slowit is when I was in IL Mehg I was in regalia and a other player ran past quicker not even sprinting.
Buy one of those Riding Map from Gemstone trader. It's what I did whenever I got into new areas while going through ShB MSQ.

I never play DRG. Is the job moveset similar to when you get to play
Estinien?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
this dps role quest is shit btw, at least until lvl 76, it reminds me when we went from all the class order hall stuff in Legion to the war campaign, same for everyone in BFA (this is WOW btw), feels like such a downgrade.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
All jobs under level50 are dull with limited movesets.

I kind of get that aether currents aren't unlocked by default so that you don't simply fly over everything, but me, finding aether currents has always been the most tedious thing in each expansion. I just despise hunting for them with the compass, and then figuring out how I'm supposed to walk all the way over there.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
More often than not, I don't really mind grabbing the Aether currents. Aside from me forgetting to spam the compass as I trek through the zone, the only times I've been annoyed are 1) That one in The Lochs, and 2) the first zone in heavensward I think when the compass is pointing me to one that was across a chasm that I couldn't cross by taking a long way around.

this dps role quest is shit btw, at least until lvl 76, it reminds me when we went from all the class order hall stuff in Legion to the war campaign, same for everyone in BFA (this is WOW btw), feels like such a downgrade.

Aww man :( that was probably my favorite role quest. Lue-Reeq is a lousy NPC for the quest chain, but I loved the fight in the level 76 quest. Just seeing the stack up marker put a huge dumb smile on my face.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
More often than not, I don't really mind grabbing the Aether currents. Aside from me forgetting to spam the compass as I trek through the zone, the only times I've been annoyed are 1) That one in The Lochs, and 2) the first zone in heavensward I think when the compass is pointing me to one that was across a chasm that I couldn't cross by taking a long way around.

Aww man :( that was probably my favorite role quest. Lue-Reeq is a lousy NPC for the quest chain, but I loved the fight in the level 76 quest. Just seeing the stack up marker put a huge dumb smile on my face.
He improves by the end but yeah the individual role quests aren't amazing narratively. They just give you more context for the WoD.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, checking in with the skywatcher when you reach the first city in the expansion is pretty damn funny.

Forecast nothing but light.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy one of those Riding Map from Gemstone trader. It's what I did whenever I got into new areas while going through ShB MSQ.

I never play DRG. Is the job moveset similar to when you get to play
Estinien?

There are elements of it in there, but like the other Role Play things, it's very simplified.

Dragoon has two main combos:

(Rear) True Thrust -> Disembowel -> Chaos Thrust -> Fang and Claw
(Flank) True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust -> Wheeling Thrust

A trait you get at level 64, Lance Mastery, allows the two to flow into each other, making the core of the rotation look like this at max level:

True Thrust -> Disembowel -> Chaos Thrust -> Fang and Claw -> Wheeling Thrust -> Raiden Thrust* -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust -> Wheeling Thrust -> Fang and Claw

You then intersperse your Jumps and other things into that.

* Another trait will replace True Thrust with Raiden Thrust when you do your positionals correctly. Same thing as True Thrust, just more potency.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man..

You guys weren't kidding when you said the SHB battle theme was bad.

Don't know how they settled on that when HW and SB's were so good.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Shirogane Ward 19, Plot 21 is open right now on Ultros. It's one of the wards, so it's only open to FCs or relocation. 3.75 million gil. It's right on the beach.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Recently announced Moogle Teasure Trove event made me realized I never bought Ixali and Sahagin mount. I think it was because ARR Beast Tribe mount used to not be able to fly.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I restarted as a Thaumaturge (I started out as a Conjurer) and I'm having a blast. Gridania is beautiful but I LOVE this massive city. It gives me major FFXII vibes. I'm aiming towards the Red Mage job because they look really fun (and stylish) but eventually I wanna master the Black, White, and Red mages. I reconsidered Lamia and went with Famfrit even though I kind of wanted the baseline experience. I heard that Famfrit had a friendly community though and with the way level sync works it's not too bad leveling so quickly. I haven't done any dungeons yet aside from the first tutorial guildhest. I pulled out an old USB keyboard to plug into my PS4 so I can quickly type "I'm new and have no idea what I'm doing yet", lol.

I think the biggest highlights for me so far are the music and the atmosphere of the environments.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the Stomrblood main scenarion quersts today and really liked it. Even thought both Heavensward and Stormblood are about wars they are pretty different from each other which is nice. Now I'll have to do the quests betweent Stormblood and Shadowbringers.

Is the Shadowbringers story better than the other two expansions? I liked both of them anyway.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the Stomrblood main scenarion quersts today and really liked it. Even thought both Heavensward and Stormblood are about wars they are pretty different from each other which is nice. Now I'll have to do the quests betweent Stormblood and Shadowbringers.

Is the Shadowbringers story better than the other two expansions? I liked both of them anyway.
A lot of people think ShB is the best one (including me), yes, but you know...opinions and all that. Probably depends on the stuff you like.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I restarted as a Thaumaturge (I started out as a Conjurer) and I'm having a blast. Gridania is beautiful but I LOVE this massive city. It gives me major FFXII vibes. I'm aiming towards the Red Mage job because they look really fun (and stylish) but eventually I wanna master the Black, White, and Red mages. I reconsidered Lamia and went with Famfrit even though I kind of wanted the baseline experience. I heard that Famfrit had a friendly community though and with the way level sync works it's not too bad leveling so quickly. I haven't done any dungeons yet aside from the first tutorial guildhest. I pulled out an old USB keyboard to plug into my PS4 so I can quickly type "I'm new and have no idea what I'm doing yet", lol.

I think the biggest highlights for me so far are the music and the atmosphere of the environments.
Despite being one of the starting classes, Thaumaturge is a job I don't see a lot of new players pick up first. I think the slow spell cast times on top of the already slow base GCD and being stuck in place a lot of the time until you get your higher-level movement skills really turns people off, but I think it's one of the most satisfying job progressions in the game. I also started as a THM and am still madly in love with Black Mage even after level capping almost every other job in the game. It's the only job I really want to play in the end-game.

Everything that makes BLM feel clunky in the early game gets addressed in supremely satisfying ways. Once you start mastering your "teleport" skills, you'll just think walking is for suckers.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Despite being one of the starting classes, Thaumaturge is a job I don't see a lot of new players pick up first. I think the slow spell cast times on top of the already slow base GCD and being stuck in place a lot of the time until you get your higher-level movement skills really turns people off, but I think it's one of the most satisfying job progressions in the game. I also started as a THM and am still madly in love with Black Mage even after level capping almost every other job in the game. It's the only job I really want to play in the end-game.

Everything that makes BLM feel clunky in the early game gets addressed in supremely satisfying ways. Once you start mastering your "teleport" skills, you'll just think walking is for suckers.
Honestly, I love the way Thaumaturge works. Casting your fire spells to build up your Astral Fire and then transposing it into Umbral Ice to regen your mana insanely fast is really fun. Definitely more engaging than the Conjurer's rotation when going through story/solo content. There's no downtime at all if you're managing your elemental gauge! I didn't even know about the teleports for BLM. That sounds awesome.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any advice on targeting with a controller? I'm starting to get the hang of it but I still don't feel comfortable enough to go into dungeons where people rely on me targeting the correct enemies. I set the targeting to work in a cone and I think that helps when I need to target enemies that are right in my face but I feel like I might be missing some important settings to change around. ESO has kind of spoiled me when it comes to controlling an MMO on consoles.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any advice on targeting with a controller? I'm starting to get the hang of it but I still don't feel comfortable enough to go into dungeons where people rely on me targeting the correct enemies. I set the targeting to work in a cone and I think that helps when I need to target enemies that are right in my face but I feel like I might be missing some important settings to change around. ESO has kind of spoiled me when it comes to controlling an MMO on consoles.

Hold down L2 and press R1 to tab target if you're not doing that yet.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Warring Lanner looks pretty cool. I think the HW primal bird mounts look really nice. Not sure if I'll get anything else with the tomestones, but I'll try to get that one.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
PotD and HoH are great because it gives you a lot more tools than you probably have at the time so you have a much better idea of the Job (I guess I need to suffer through Lancer up to 30 one of these days to unlock Dragoon and then get insta lvl 60 in PotD to try out a more robust kit).

With that being said, a couple more jobs I did or did not scratch from my "list"

- White Mage: nope nope nope. Im sure it's the strongest healer (benediction alone is lol worthy) but its so fucking boring. I hate the skills, the lily system does nothing for me, and overall compared to the other 2 healers its not even a competion for me, especially not with me re-discovering scholar.

- Bard: yup yup yup, higher levels just confirms I will really like this, and this is most likely the one I'll level next along with summoner/scholar (I say along with since they are in vastly different brackets for now)

So right now my "list" stands at Astro, Dancer, Summoner, Scholar, Bard. Machinist and Red Mage on the cusp for a second chance one of these days when I grind HoH up to 70.

Samurai (man Samurai fell hard for me), White Mage, Gunbreaker and probably Black Mage (although this one I only played a tiny bit but that meter scared me lol) go on the no-no list. Lancer and Dark Knight are my two "era wants me to play them" cases to be studied when I dont have anything to do (well, Dragoon is, Dark Knight just for the folk that want me to try tank and its the only tank I like visually lol)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
One thing I struggle on with Scholar is exactly how to use my fairy gauge. Fey blessing has such a long cooldown that it almost doesn't seem to matter that it costs 10 gauge. Fey union is just hard to use. It's a powerful regen that seems only useful for a tank, because if you try to heal a DPS with it the co-healer will almost certainly have thrown an OGCD at them by the time it activates (which takes a long while).

There's also the fact that it's a tether which makes it more difficult to find use cases for. Usually during add phases is when I use it (like during Engels).

Right now whispering dawn and even seraph is just way more useful than the actions that use gauge. This part of the SCH kit just doesn't feel like it's as good as it should be. But I do enjoy the business of placing the fairy though, having AOE heals based off their placement feels cool

As for BLM it's easily the coolest out of the caster classes imo but only when you get past level 60. I'm always really impressed by good BLM players in that sort of way I usually don't get impressed by MMO combat. Fuckers just standing in AOEs and teleporting out, or returning to their ley lines after a mechanic and continuing to nuke the boss. It just looks cool as shit

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Ninja, Monk, Warrior and Paladin were pretty much on the no-no list from the start as I don't usually do tank or melee, I'm just not a melee guy. I doubt I'll even try them, maybe I will one day who knows.

btw I am super dissapointed they dont give you that summoner book with teeth as a minion when you finish the quest line :(

edit: although to be fair Saint-14 I'll give you this, I've been seeing a lot of Ninjas in dungeons, and everytime they go CLANK CLANK CLANK with the spinny orbs around them, I dont know what the hell they are doing but it looks cool and kinda makes me wanna try them lol.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Speaking as someone who doesn't really take to tanking either I found Warrior much more fun than Dark Knight.

It's a less busy rotation but the angery axe man ended up being more my thing than edgy boi with heavy sword. Also your hotbar isn't a bunch of ugly cradle of filth album covers.

Also you get a move which basically heals you the more you pull on a 25 second cooldown. I like that.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I struggle on with Scholar is exactly how to use my fairy gauge. Fey blessing has such a long cooldown that it almost doesn't seem to matter that it costs 10 gauge. Fey union is just hard to use. It's a powerful regen that seems only useful for a tank, because if you try to heal a DPS with it the co-healer will almost certainly have thrown an OGCD at them by the time it activates (which takes a long while).

There's also the fact that it's a tether which makes it more difficult to find use cases for. Usually during add phases is when I use it (like during Engels).

Right now whispering dawn and even seraph is just way more useful than the actions that use gauge. This part of the SCH kit just doesn't feel like it's as good as it should be. But I do enjoy the business of placing the fairy though, having AOE heals based off their placement feels cool

As for BLM it's easily the coolest out of the caster classes imo but only when you get past level 60. I'm always really impressed by good BLM players in that sort of way I usually don't get impressed by MMO combat. Fuckers just standing in AOEs and teleporting out, or returning to their ley lines after a mechanic and continuing to nuke the boss. It just looks cool as shit

Hold the phone, BLMs can teleport? o.o

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
They have Aetherial Manupulation, which allows them to zoom over to a party members location. They also have Between The Lines, which allows them to zoom back to their leylines. It's pretty neat to see high level black mage gameplay and watching them zoom back and forth.

Huh I guess I should level the job sometimes, thanks for the info!

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
The actual command is "activate your hotbar then tab with L1 and R1" so both L2 and R2 are fine for the first step. I think it works even with both pressed.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Black Mage (although this one I only played a tiny bit but that meter scared me lol)

The job gauge for BLM is really over-designed and far more complex than it needs to be. The simple version gives you everything you need and is much easier to read at a glance. Don't let it put you off, it's a really fun class to play once you get the hang of it (and get to level 60).

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you start optimizing content with BLM, goddamn, it feels good. Until then, it can feel kinda bad, depending on what it is, lol.
Probably don't take BLM into Copied Factory blind like I did, if you want to have a good time.

Black Mage (although this one I only played a tiny bit but that meter scared me lol)

It really just looks more complex than it actually is, lol.

J3x3Maw.png

- The three crystals at the top just indicate what level of Astral Fire or Umbral Ice you're at. You don't pay much attention to it.
- The 12 indicates the remaining time on Enochian. This is like 80% of what you're concerned with, tbh.
- The clock hand gauge fills the gems at the bottom. Those gems are Polyglot, used for casts of Foul or Xenoglossy. You usually just glance over at them.
- It's not filled there, but the three notches to the left of the bottom gems are for Umbral Hearts, generated by Blizzard IV. Umbral Hearts are important because you use them to nullify the cost of Fire IV casts, or halve the cost of Flare. There are points in the rotation where you'll pay more attention to them, but again, it's mostly glancing over to it.

The Simple version might help:

8dyY7ag.png

- 15 seconds on the Enochian Timer (Symbol's a quicker way to ensure Eno-chan is up)
- Three Stacks of Umbral Ice (Blue)
- Three Stacks of Umbral Hearts (White)
- Two Casts of Polyglot, gonna get another pretty quick. (Pink)

BLM is actually a pretty simple class at heart. The main problem it has is that it feels totally awful to play sub 60, and it has a steep optimization curve, what with every fight in the game being designed to say, "Fuck you, Black Mage, in particular."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.