• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Two days later, I still can't get over how terrible the regular battle theme is in Shadowbringers..

Not only is it bad but it just feels hilariously out of place.
It kinda grew on me after a while. Though it still is hilarious to see Devil May Cry music showing up in a jrpg.

I love the dungeon music though.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The worst thing about Soken is how he loves mumbled vocals. If it wasn't for the official lyrics, I would have no idea what they were saying in the opening theme.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
leveling jobs after 70 without a PotD / HoH type thing is... awkward. You basically do the roulettes and the pixie dailies, maybe also the Stormblood beast dailies if you really want to, all of which takes what, 1 hour, 2 hours? You gt your level, level and a half worth of xp from that, then you kinda just awkwardly stay at whatever level you landed and realistically park the job until the next day. I guess you can run random dungeons or fates but nah.

Like I said, it's just awkward not having the traditional alt class that would just go through the same old quests.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
leveling jobs after 70 without a PotD / HoH type thing is... awkward. You basically do the roulettes and the pixie dailies, maybe also the Stormblood beast dailies if you really want to, all of which takes what, 1 hour, 2 hours? You gt your level, level and a half worth of xp from that, then you kinda just awkwardly stay at whatever level you landed and realistically park the job until the next day. I guess you can run random dungeons or fates but nah.

Like I said, it's just awkward not having the traditional alt class that would just go through the same old quests.
Looks like Heaven on High came out in 4.3, so maybe we'll get our ShB equivalent in the Spring?

My guess is beyond having to actually make the content at some point they like drawing out the leveling time of the 70-80 range for a couple patches after release to stretch the content while there's still not a huge amount of 70-80 content out yet.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Highest available dungeon is usually quick-ish if you're willing to grind a bit. 3-4 runs per level.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Odd levels you do the highest level ShB dungeon you can. Run that 3 times and you usually level up. Then on even level you do dailies and Pixie tribe. Then it's like you say, you just kinda leave it at that till the next day unless you wanna do like 5 more runs of the ShB dungeon to reach the next level and run the next dungeon.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
potd is not even good for leveling. it being an effective leveling solution is mostly outdated/misinformation. hoh is average inside the level range it serves. just run the at level dungeon if you're really playing all day. do hunts or fates between if you really can't find something else to do or are on some awful datacenter with bad queues.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OT2 is upon us.
Taking suggestions for a new thread subtitle. The best or most popular ideas will go in a poll on the 200th page of this OT.

My suggestions are
|OT2| Nu Mou Heroes
and
|OT2| Remember That We Once Lived

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Looks like Heaven on High came out in 4.3, so maybe we'll get our ShB equivalent in the Spring?

My guess is beyond having to actually make the content at some point they like drawing out the leveling time of the 70-80 range for a couple patches after release to stretch the content while there's still not a huge amount of 70-80 content out yet.

Yeah HoH came out in July in the mid-patch cycle for 4.3 so if they follow a similar pattern for ShB then we'll probably get it in the summer. Possible they may delay it (not sure if they actually confirmed they're doing a deep dungeon this patch cycle though it feels like a sure thing at this point), but to me seems smart to have it available as a leveling option halfway through the expansion.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to get BLU skills sucks as much as I remember it. Me and 2 others thought we could make a night of it, but after finishing the open world stuff then suddenly wasting an hour on ravana kills for nothing just sucks. It would be one thing if I could at least get the satisfaction that unsuccessful runs were leading to or building my odd, but as it is it just feels as big a waste of time as a those primal runs people spent dozens of hours doing for a move they likely used twice.

None of this is reasonably soloable, PFable this far from launch, or DFable because you don't know what skills people will Queue in with. It just means it will become deader and deader content as time goes on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
0.8% enrage on TEA. CLEAR COMING TOMORROW BOYS AND GIRLS

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Trying to get BLU skills sucks as much as I remember it. Me and 2 others thought we could make a night of it, but after finishing the open world stuff then suddenly wasting an hour on ravana kills for nothing just sucks. It would be one thing if I could at least get the satisfaction that unsuccessful runs were leading to or building my odd, but as it is it just feels as big a waste of time as a those primal runs people spent dozens of hours doing for a move they likely used twice.

None of this is reasonably soloable, PFable this far from launch, or DFable because you don't know what skills people will Queue in with. It just means it will become deader and deader content as time goes on.

Are you doing Ravana unsynched with people joining in as a lv80 job?
Drop rate for BLU spells is 100% if you do raids, trials and dungeons at the appropriate level. BLU or not, every member need to be Lv60.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Also, my PC is gonna be here on Saturday. Is it better to get 14 on Steam or somewhere else?
Sorry about the double post.
Steam let's you pay for the sub/mogstation items using your steam wallet and steam wallet cards go on sale a few times a year. The downside though is youre locked to running the steam client to play (there's a workaround they can disable at any time though) and you're locked to purchasing current and future expansions from steam which never go on sale. The steam physical collectors editions for new expansions are also a tad harder to get cause they make less of them.

The vanilla client from other stores locks you out from using the steam client (you can use the add a non steam game option in steam I guess if you want the steam overlay) and steam expansions and time cards have only gone on sale a handful of times. But on the bright side expansions go on sale much more frequently and new ones can usually be bought on sale ($10 - $7 cheaper compared to full price/steam) at launch.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Steam let's you pay for the sub/mogstation items using your steam wallet and steam wallet cards go on sale a few times a year. The downside though is youre locked to running the steam client to play (there's a workaround they can disable at any time though) and you're locked to purchasing current and future expansions from steam which never go on sale. The steam physical collectors editions for new expansions are also a tad harder to get cause they make less of them.

The vanilla client from other stores locks you out from using the steam client (you can use the add a non steam game option in steam I guess if you want the steam overlay) and steam expansions and time cards have only gone on sale a handful of times. But on the bright side expansions go on sale much more frequently and new ones can usually be bought on sale ($10 - $7 cheaper compared to full price/steam) at launch.
for some reason my ds4 vibration doesnt work unless I launch the game via steam, dno if its common

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
for some reason my ds4 vibration doesnt work unless I launch the game via steam, dno if its common
Might be the drivers or lack of. Guessing the steam controller api is able to take xinput rumble and send it correctly to a DS4 and without it or drivers that emulate xinput you end up without rumble.

When I used a DS4 with ds4windows rumble worked fine using the xinput emulation option.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

That's odd, doing it in a group of 4 or 5 (I can't remember) and having people switching off between BLU and a lv 80 job, everyone got it within like 12 runs. It took about 30 minutes iirc. You're waiting until he does Suhpkharna to kill right?

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got wind up ramza from the ivalice raid.

Took 3 tries but each raid took me like 45 minutes then another 30 to find a party lol

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I just got to the playboy bunny village and I don't think Shadowbringers is that good probably same level as stormblood. Heavensward I feel is still peak after all hype feel SHB is bit of a flop started strong but collapsed when you go to save minfilla in Lakeland

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The beginning and end are both good, but everything in between, when you're killing the light wardens is pretty bad. Nothing really happens. It's one boring fetch quest after another. The 76-77 msq is as bad as anything in ARR.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't disagree more. Shadowbringers was fantastic from beginning to end

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
100% disagree with people saying any portion is bad. Low point was mining town and Ranjit but every other moment is excellent with of course the ending being the highlight.

TBH I think Heavensward is the overrated one. Everything past the vault bar the actual ending isn't great. If it wasn't for the 3.1-3.3 patch series elevating it to amazing heights I'd put it lower than Stormblood.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The beginning and end are both good, but everything in between, when you're killing the light wardens is pretty bad. Nothing really happens. It's one boring fetch quest after another. The 76-77 msq is as bad as anything in ARR.
That's also right around when they start hitting you with big level gates, or at least it was right when I started to run into them.

Was pretty hard to login and motivate myself to grind to level 77 just to get a fecking trolley up and running.

The necessity of the MSQ is one of those things that makes it really hard to recommend XIV. I hope when they streamline it they think of ways to the same for the expansions. I'll always enjoy the game most when I'm done with that stuff and learning lots of different classes/roles

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the love for Shadowbringers comes from it slamming you with a truck at the very end, lol.

There are lull points in the MSQ, and it really doesn't bother to break up the MMO formula the game loves to revel in, but the high points more than make up for it.

also the dungeon progression is kinda bleh imo

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That's also right around when they start hitting you with big level gates, or at least it was right when I started to run into them.

Was pretty hard to login and motivate myself to grind to level 77 just to get a fecking trolley up and running.

The necessity of the MSQ is one of those things that makes it really hard to recommend XIV. I hope when they streamline it they think of ways to the same for the expansions. I'll always enjoy the game most when I'm done with that stuff and learning lots of different classes/roles

As much as I started to enjoy the gameplay of FFXIV after all this, I wouldn't be able to recommend on the strength of purely the gameplay. Personally I get the most enjoyment out of the MSQ and the stories that you get in thegame.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Summary so far as I just reach the bunny village

positives

- Euthanasia Plot in first hour was pretty cool
- Class divide and desperation to get into Eulmore
- cool music
- Great intro
- decent dungeons and bosses so far
- Thancred having inner turmoil to figure out if he is a lolicon or not
- Y'shtola being moody and having zero time for Crystal Exarch shit and other people's moaning
- Gunbreaker job
- Arbert seriously this is the most interesting plot in game and what he talks about

negatives
- ran'jit is so lame so is the whole Eulmore army plot the whole class division was more interesting then empire knock off.
- every new area you go to the alternative timeline of race you know do some whacky custom like lick 3 cat anuses then wipe your tongue after on paper to earn trust then walk to next village repeat.
- warrior of darkness title is nothing more then a joke that gets mentioned and means nothing
- Thancred is confused if he is a lolicon or not and is boring due to brooding. When Urianger is way more funny you know you fucked up
- HP sponge bosses are a drag when a tank
- the job/role specific quests are terrible idea and boring
- Ran'jit is really lame
- arbert plot is meant to cause turmoil with player about being a hero but nothing negative ever happens to you instead everyone still worships the ground you walk no matter what.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I uhh think you are misinterpreting Thancred's feelings a tad. Right about Ranjit though. He is the blemish on a great game.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I uhh think you are misinterpreting Thancred's feelings a tad. Right about Ranjit though. He is the blemish on a great game.

yeah he coming terms the minfilla he loved is gone and this girl ain't her I get that because the game hits you over head with it multiple times. I was more joking about how every other character is like Thancred you being creepy get over it even Y'shtola calls him out in front everyone

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
|OT2| The Zodiark Killer
yeah he coming terms the minfilla he loved is gone and this girl ain't her I get that because the game hits you over head with it multiple times. I was more joking about how every other character is like Thancred you being creepy get over it even Y'shtola calls him out in front everyone
I found Thancred completely believable in his emotional turmoil, personally. His Minfilia was family and she was taken from him as he was powerless to do anything about it. There was a balance of not wanting to get too close to the new Minfilia and needing to protect her at all costs that was tearing him to shreds. Thancred's character development and subplot in Shadowbringers might just be my favorite in the expansion, actually.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I found Shb great save for a couple spots. The thing is you get more out of it the more you're invested in the characters and lore. And your character specifically. Stormblood tier this is not.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I started to enjoy the gameplay of FFXIV after all this, I wouldn't be able to recommend on the strength of purely the gameplay. Personally I get the most enjoyment out of the MSQ and the stories that you get in thegame.

I'll say it again, if you don't do endgame raiding you're missing out on the best gameplay in the game and the best online PvE in any game I've played ever. I know multiple people who completely skip over all story scenes and do the MSQ as quick as possible just to do savage and ultimate raids. Get yourself a static and try it out!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice a sale on the level boost. Gonna get me a level 70 DRG. Does anyone know what hairstyle is shown in that new Alma outfit on the mogstation? I really like it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree. The combat system doesn't feel that good until it gets tested in endgame content, such as ex trials and savage raids. That's when you start really optimizing what you do and finding out what your job is capable of in the process.

... Though that's also why I'm bummed by the tank job simplifications.

Until then, the game's high points for me are its story (both msq and raid side stories), its music, and the way it constantly pulls stuff from your favorite FF games.

Oh nice a sale on the level boost. Gonna get me a level 70 DRG. Does anyone know what hairstyle is shown in that new Alma outfit on the mogstation? I really like it.
Oh, there's a sale? Maybe I should get gunbreaker.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
I mostly agree. The combat system doesn't feel that good until it gets tested in endgame content, such as ex trials and savage raids. That's when you start really optimizing what you do and finding out what your job is capable of in the process.

... Though that's also why I'm bummed by the tank job simplifications.

Until then, the game's high points for me are its story (both msq and raid side stories), its music, and the way it constantly pulls stuff from your favorite FF games.

Oh, there's a sale? Maybe I should get gunbreaker.
Gunbreaker isn't in there I think. Since it's a new job it starts at 60 and is pretty easy to get to 80 since it's a tank

Status
Not open for further replies.