• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I love Dancer's weapon and aoe attacks so much. Super satisfying and cool.

Funnily enough, the only thing I don't like about Dancer is the dancing but eh, its fine.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of annoyance and grindiness the order from best to worst is

Eureka > Anima > Zodiac.

In terms of entertainment from best to worst it's

Eureka > Zodiac > Anima

At least imo.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
I've got a Zodiac and an Anima and hoo boy. Anima >>>> Zodiac. Atma farming is not fun.

Eureka I did only the first step just before ShB was released and I enjoyed it. There was a social aspect that appealed to me. Soloing is hell, but looking for a train and running around talking with strangers? Sign me up.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to find an E1S learning party. Only got to the adds before I had to go to work though. The weekly cap is gone right?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ya, 2 chests every clear. It also drops a Book of Resurrection that can be used to just buy whatever you want. I think it's 4 for an accessory.
Ok awesome. If I can learn this tonight, I wouldn't mind farming it tomorrow. Definitely gonna try to learn the next tier while they're still popping.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished 5.1 and have a few things in my mind.

Zenos' return is something I really don't appreciate, he was cool as an opponent in Stormblood but I think he long overstayed his welcome by now. Especially since they seemingly made him an Ascian-like that only thirsts for fighting and power, basically something like a comically extreme OP evil version of Son-Goku in Dragonball or something. I find that super boring so far.

The fighting as Estinien was super fun and cool, does Dragoon actually play anything like this?

Who in the world was the adventurer in Eulemore, that surely wasn't a twisted rebirth of Ardbert right? o.o

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Zenos' return is something I really don't appreciate, he was cool as an opponent in Stormblood but I think he long overstayed his welcome by now. Especially since they seemingly made him an Ascian-like that only thirsts for fighting and power, basically something like a comically extreme OP evil version of Son-Goku in Dragonball or something. I find that super boring so far.

The fighting as Estinien was super fun and cool, does Dragoon actually play anything like this?

Who in the world was the adventurer in Eulemore, that surely wasn't a twisted rebirth of Ardbert right? o.o
Pretty sure it's Elidibus.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Common theory is that it's Elidibus in Ardbert's body.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017

I didnt like how Zenos story seemed to end a bunch of stuff we were doing in the leadup to 5.0 so abruptly and seemingly only to rehash a villain that didn't seem to have any real depth. But 5.1 part of the story actually made me appreciate what I think they are planning to do with him. They are setting him up as a tertiary "Joker" like antagonist whose only worth seems to be as chaos directly targeting the WoL and his path. He is our 'personal' rival and antagonist whereas the Ascians are more of a world antagonist rather then a direct threat against us at a personal level. I expect he is going to be used a rabid wild card till he is defeated permanently. a "Third party" player so to speak who can cause chaos on both sides of the hydaelyn and zodiark war.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It won't happen but god, I'd love it if FF16 actually allowed you to create your own character and switch jobs like XIV.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Question: If I use the Stormblood story quest skip and then a 70 boost for Drag, if my friend decides not to boost, I can still just start another class on the same character, but what about the Story quests? Can I still do them if someone in the party has them or no? Does the party Sync like it does in WoW, is what I'm asking.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It won't happen but god, I'd love it if FF16 actually allowed you to create your own character and switch jobs like XIV.

No thanks. I don't mind a job system, but I don't want a custom character. I want the main character in XVI to be able to actually talk. Mute protagonists are the worst.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. I don't mind a job system, but I don't want a custom character. I want the main character in XVI to be able to actually talk. Mute protagonists are the worst.
Wouldn't have to be mute, think more Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

Though I doubt FF will ever go that western.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Question: If I use the Stormblood story quest skip and then a 70 boost for Drag, if my friend decides not to boost, I can still just start another class on the same character, but what about the Story quests? Can I still do them if someone in the party has them or no? Does the party Sync like it does in WoW, is what I'm asking.

I'm pretty sure you can't do the story quests. The story quests are all solo affairs outside of dungeons.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm a lore nut so I want to do Eureka, but then I think about how much fun that actual content would be and I'm like

tenor.gif

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck can't people just stand in their motherfucking spots during a setup before a pull in pugs? Goddammit fuck you. I'm already annoyed at pugs. This is why I stopped running Savage.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's Elidibus.
Common theory is that it's Elidibus in Ardbert's body.

Oh right I kinda forgot our Ascian friends can do that after Emet-Selch was so long in one body. But man, poor Ardbert can't get any rest can he? I mean it will only need one confrontation with the WoL for them to notice that isn't infact Ardbert, whatever or whoever it may be in the end.

I didnt like how Zenos story seemed to end a bunch of stuff we were doing in the leadup to 5.0 so abruptly and seemingly only to rehash a villain that didn't seem to have any real depth. But 5.1 part of the story actually made me appreciate what I think they are planning to do with him. They are setting him up as a tertiary "Joker" like antagonist whose only worth seems to be as chaos directly targeting the WoL and his path. He is our 'personal' rival and antagonist whereas the Ascians are more of a world antagonist rather then a direct threat against us at a personal level. I expect he is going to be used a rabid wild card till he is defeated permanently. a "Third party" player so to speak who can cause chaos on both sides of the hydaelyn and zodiark war.

Hmm you make a good point here, thinking about it and sleeping over it for a night, I actually agree with you, I do find the role of Zenos interesting like you described, sort of like a direct rival and third-party that could cause havok on either side, that could end up being great depending on how they play it. But I still don't like Zenos as a character itself by now. Like said I thought he was cool as an antagonist in Stormblood, someone who doesn't care about anything but fighting and who wanted to fight us only for the challenge. Alright okay but we already beat him once fair and square even after he got his power-up moment as Shinryu and he was dead afterwards.

Now don't get me wrong, I know we heroes have plot-armor all the time but the level of convenience that Zenos got makes me roll my eyes a bit.

- Due to the weird Garlean experiments he now has the power of transcendence, okay that I can still buy but...
- It allows him to cheat death Ascian style, oh my soul is immortal now unless you do Auracrite shenanigans with it probably
- He is apparently so powerful suddenly that Elidibus is scared of him and leaves his body to run away
- He then knows how to leave his new body and enter his old one
- He can suddenly do Ascian-style teleportation
- And his eyes probably allow him to use the same echo ability that we have too ontop of it

I mean okay if you want to Zenos back that fair but maybe just have him struggle and learn to fight in his new body instead of giving this huge benefits out of seemingly nowhere. It's okay for the WoL to have a chaotic rival that just wants to fight but atleast make the character itself interesting please beyond the whole: "I'm strong and I want to fight no matter what" thing.

Maybe that will change in the future but right now he feels like a comically strong and evil character just for the sake of having someone fill this, like said, interesting role with a meh character.

Okay rambling over! :P

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Btw I just noticed it says over 18 million adventurers at the end of the trailer, the last reported number was 16 million which was right before Shadowbringers.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a lore nut so I want to do Eureka, but then I think about how much fun that actual content would be and I'm like

tenor.gif

Like gathering, it's pretty great for zoning out and listening to podcasts while you're doing your challenge log.

It doesn't hurt to try it and see if you like it or not, since they made it pretty much soloable.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a "good" time to level up DoH/DoL classes? My bard is 61 and in 2.4 content currently (I plan on pushing hard through MSQ stuff this weekend), I've got a Botanist at 56 and a Carpenter at 16. I was leveling the Carpenter but I've hit a point where a lot of materials I need aren't available cheaply through NPCs, and buying stuff off the MB is kind of a mess because you can only buy stacks, and I'm running into problems where I just need a handful of something and everything on the MB is in 100+ stacks. So I went out and got some of the stuff with my botanist which I don't mind doing, but it's very slow going. Should I just wait until way later and just blow money on the MB to level, or does that get way too expensive and I'll need to bite the bullet at some point and go get this shit myself anyway so might as well do it now?

On a related note, is there any sort of level 50 relic gear for DoH/DoL folks? My botanist is still using mostly level 35-45 gear, is there someplace I should be looking for this stuff? There's level 51+ stuff on the MB but I don't feel like that's worth the asking prices, at least for me.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a "good" time to level up DoH/DoL classes? My bard is 61 and in 2.4 content currently (I plan on pushing hard through MSQ stuff this weekend), I've got a Botanist at 56 and a Carpenter at 16. I was leveling the Carpenter but I've hit a point where a lot of materials I need aren't available cheaply through NPCs, and buying stuff off the MB is kind of a mess because you can only buy stacks, and I'm running into problems where I just need a handful of something and everything on the MB is in 100+ stacks. So I went out and got some of the stuff with my botanist which I don't mind doing, but it's very slow going. Should I just wait until way later and just blow money on the MB to level, or does that get way too expensive and I'll need to bite the bullet at some point and go get this shit myself anyway so might as well do it now?

On a related note, is there any sort of level 50 relic gear for DoH/DoL folks? My botanist is still using mostly level 35-45 gear, is there someplace I should be looking for this stuff? There's level 51+ stuff on the MB but I don't feel like that's worth the asking prices, at least for me.

My highest gatherer is at 79 and crafter at 67, so I'm far from an expert. But from my experience with leveling them:

By far the best way to level crafters (and soon gatherers) unlocks once you get a some way into post-Heavensward MSQ, so I'd advise waiting till then if you want to be efficient for crafter leveling. Other than that, levequests can also work, although they require more work than the gathering ones. Beast tribes are also a possible option, although they aren't as fast as the alternatives. Ixal are the crafter one available in ARR. Beast Tribe quests are nice because they don't need you to buy materials (so they're free), but they have a daily limit.

Heavensward also unlocks a better version of levequests that take 10 leve allowances but give massive XP, making leveling from 50 to 60 easier, particularly for gatherers.

Gatherer/Crafter scrips are the crafter version of tomestones, and come with their own gear sets. The quest to unlock their vendors requires some Heavensward main quest progress though, so you won't be able to access this just yet. The gatherer/crafter quests also give decent gear, and you can also always craft gear for yourself. At crafter/gatherer level 60 and end-game Heavensward, you also unlock Custom Deliveries, which give you a bunch of basically free XP and scrips every week.

Another important gathering system you might have missed are treasure maps. Completing the quest Treasures and Tribulations unlocks the ability to randomly find a treasure map while gathering once per day. These maps sell for decent money on the market board, so it's a nice way to get free money for basically 0 work. For a bit more effort, you can decipher the maps then go on a treasure hunt instead of selling them, but the rewards for that are highly dependent on luck.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
In just 93 commendations, I will be a Burger King. It feels like the game is appreciating how much time I've put into it.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, you're in an awkward spot, and should focus on progressing the story and getting into Ishgard.

There are vendors there that will sell you level appropriate gear for your gatherers for probably cheaper than the MB. Once you clear 3.0, you'll get access to the Heavensward endgame city, and will provide you a bunch of different options for progression, such as weekly collectable turn-ins, and the Scrip grind begins in earnest.

(Speaking of, don't worry about gathering Collectables until you hit at least 600 GP. Ishgard leves are stupidly good now and will get your Gatherers to 60 in no time.)

The way to level crafters now is through leves to 20 and then doing Ishgard Restoration, which unlocks after you finish 3.3. It's honestly so much easier to do it that way that I would suggest waiting to level your crafters until you get there. You don't need to level them all together anymore, but it's still a good idea because each class feeds into each other.

There are "AF" gear at level 50, but they're a bit annoying to get, and not totally worth it unless you like how the quest giving NPC looks. Again, I'd personally just wait until you get to Ishgard.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK

Do it after finishing main combat class and story. I went from 9-80 in less then a week for my miner. You want to use levies supply missions (drop off HQ for major exp bonus) and general quest missions for your class.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a "good" time to level up DoH/DoL classes?

To go against the poster above: DO NOT DO THE LARGE SCALE LEVES. THE EXP DOES NOT SCALE IN THE SAME MANNER YOU GET LESS EXP PER LEVE. The EXP values have been buffed in 5.1 so don't just don't. Unless you have 30 minutes every 3 days to play this game.

Now. You will want a Gatherer at 70 before 5.2 drops to utilize gathering quests. Use Leves to get exp.

My Method:

1-50 NQ gear + gathering melds. Grind 1-20 w/ GC Manual. Levequests from 20-50. Do the grandcompany turn ins when you can.

50-60 Get by w/ whatever ARR gear you had. At level53 there should be(hopefully) cheap HQ gear on the MB for your level. Otherwise get NQ gear to carry you until 60.

At level60 there will be i180 gear you can buy at Idyllshire (The poster above hinted at it). That should work fine. Upgrade when your chances are low.

At level70 you can buy i350 Landking gear which should carry you to lv80.

Crafter: 1-15 via grinding at a FC vendor w/ GC Manual Buff. 15-50 do levequests. HQing will be hard so just spam crafts until you get a HQ. 51+ you should be able HQ with enough stats (Or some HQ materials) or ask a friend.

Highly recommend this website: https://www.xivcraftingguide.com/

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Ishgard restoration is the method most people are using to level DoH now and the DoL portion of it is being added in a month. You need to finish 3.3 to unlock it. You'll still need lots of mats for it's recipes but it's concentrated on 3 - 5 different items with just 1 mat being a cross class craft instead of multiple crafted items required for 1 craft. Just focus on your GC daily turn ins until you finish 3.3.

Alternatively you can just look up a leve guide to figure out what items you need to mass produce to level up most efficiently.

There's a lv 50 relic ish grind for DoH/dol but it is not worth it. The time sink required for it is not worth the minor stat increase over the vendor stuff. Wait till you reach 3.0 or ask someone to pop into ishgard to get you the vendor gear. Should be cheaper than mb prices.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, thanks for the quick responses lol. Sounds like I should chill for a bit and progress a bit more through MSQ so I'll focus on that then loop back to this a bit. I'm also going to check out that crafting website for sure, botany is pretty straight forward but crafting definitely seems more complicated. I also keep forgetting to grab maps, I haven't played my Botanist in a few weeks at this point.

Are any of the sub-level 80 maps worth even doing or selling? I sold the 3 I had on hand a while back, I don't know if there's any demand for these OR if they're worth running either?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
In just 93 commendations, I will be a Burger King. It feels like the game is appreciating how much time I've put into it.
Farming Trial roulette as a healer and giving some kind of greeting before it starts really brings them in if you want it a bit sooner. That's how I got the last 50 or so that I needed.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I believe today is the last day to vote for the Valentine's event so make sure to vote for Bert cause he's the best.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Farming Trial roulette as a healer and giving some kind of greeting before it starts really brings them in if you want it a bit sooner. That's how I got the last 50 or so that I needed.
Oh maybe I'll do that today if I'm bored. Trial roulette is by far my favorite unless I get that dumb bigass dragon on the bridge.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh maybe I'll do that today if I'm bored. Trial roulette is by far my favorite unless I get that dumb bigass dragon on the bridge.
It's also a good way to get Poetics. The chance of getting a first-time bonus on Trial roulette is very high and they go very quickly. That along with instant queues for healer makes it an extremely solid way to get up that crazy high 1500 commendation requirement.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is fist of fire the main monk stance to focus on using in combat or does the upgraded fists of wind have it uses?

Earth, I pretty much just use when I got to take a hit from a marker or something.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Is fist of fire the main monk stance to focus on using in combat or does the upgraded fists of wind have it uses?

Earth, I pretty much just use when I got to take a hit from a marker or something.
Wind is the best once you have GL4, you only use fire when you're not at GL4(so start of the fight or if you ever end up using tornado kick with no backup plan for some reason). Earth shouldn't be used once you have GL4 either cause you drop a GL which is basically never worth the 10% and you can just use Riddle of Earth for this anyway(and you want to since it also removes positionals for 30secs) although I guess in some fringe cases if you know exactly how much dmg you'll take and that you'll die, it'd be better to earth than to die, but with damage variance it's quite a gamble for a pretty big DPS loss if you end up not needing it.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Finally into Stormblood and my feelings on this are so mixed. Location wise some areas a really great and others are super bland. Some elements of the story are interesting and other parts I couldn't care less about. I'm finally in Yanxia but this journey has felt like such a slog. Ultimately I think they picked the wrong character to center this around. Lyse is so bland. That's even with the her background. Had this been centered largely around Yugiri for the Doma parts from the jump and raubahn as far as Ala Mhigo goes I think things might be better. With them you're building off of stories and history as far back as ARR. There is investment there. The way nearly everything is presented after the lead into Stormblood has been such a let down so far.

It doesn't help at all that both Lyse and Alisaie are coming off really annoying half the time. I felt Alphinaud was starting to become that way as well and Gosetsu getting to that point as well. I'd love to have Krile and Y'shtola back.

Heavensward's story, characters, and presentation were such a high point for me. So much so I think it's making Stormblood's flaws stand out so much more and I'm finding my patience for them is wearing thin.

I'm super tempted at this point to buy the item that lets you skip this entire storyline so I can get right into Shadowbringers.

Status
Not open for further replies.