• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm super tempted at this point to buy the item that lets you skip this entire storyline so I can get right into Shadowbringers.
Don't.

You need to have played 4.0 and 4.X to understand parts of 5.0 and an increasingly large portion of 5.X. (5.0 focused on it a bit, 5.1 focused on it more, 5.2 is looking to focus on it quite a bit judging by the trailer)

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to echo rpm. 4.3 to 4.5 especially are the direct lead-up to Shadowbringers and introduce very important elements. But as mentioned, there's stuff even from 4.0 we'll be witnessing the effects of in 5.2.

For what it's worth, I personally found the 4.x patches (4.1-4.5) more interesting than Stormblood's base release story wise. 4.0 is very straight forward, whereas the 4.x patches get to explore more of the grey. And, as I said, the brickwork for Shadowbringers' narrative gets set layer by layer as it goes on.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking did it. I beat E1S after almost 3 hours. I'm so thankful for this learning party for sticking together till the end.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I got to spend my final Mentor Roulette as an imp, doing absolutely nothing.

HPniN2N.png

LOOK AT MY HORSE!
WZivzrV.png

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Does anything in this thread own "The Art of Eorzea" art book? My wife wants to get a tattoo of Haurchefant's sword and we can't find a good reference photo. We have the Heavensward art book but he's not in it, so I'm assuming he's in the previous one.

If anyone could confirm it contains an image of his sword, or even better snap a photo, you would be doing me a huge favour.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a lore nut so I want to do Eureka, but then I think about how much fun that actual content would be and I'm like

tenor.gif
Eureka is so good! Your best bet to do it is at the end of each patch when interest in the newer content has all but dried up so there's more people in there to play with.

Seriously, the lore is great and the content is solid. Baldesion Arsenal in particular is challenging, memorable, and an amazing climax to a sidestory.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm finally rebinding and reorganizing my hotbars as they were a mess for a long time and it's annoying that the game doesn't accept F13-F24 as valid keybindings :/

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing Hidden Gorge lots of time now and still need 50 more win to get that mount. God I hate playing this solo as it always got me into a one sided match.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got my crafter's max melded after slacking off on this for the entire patch. All 16 facet weapons as well.

CE7MxCL.png

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to echo rpm. 4.3 to 4.5 especially are the direct lead-up to Shadowbringers and introduce very important elements. But as mentioned, there's stuff even from 4.0 we'll be witnessing the effects of in 5.2.

For what it's worth, I personally found the 4.x patches (4.1-4.5) more interesting than Stormblood's base release story wise. 4.0 is very straight forward, whereas the 4.x patches get to explore more of the grey. And, as I said, the brickwork for Shadowbringers' narrative gets set layer by layer as it goes on.
Agreed. 4.X was far more interesting and has some of my favorite bits of XIV overalll. It's really great IMO. I think the characters got a lot of interesting development and the story was stronger. The actual content (dungeons, trials, etc) were awesome too. I
I fucking did it. I beat E1S after almost 3 hours. I'm so thankful for this learning party for sticking together till the end.
Grats! E1S is not bad once you get the script down. I really enjoy that fight.

Good luck with e2s next. I got hard carried through it for my first clear. That one is rough to learn and has one of the harder DPS checks this tier. It's very overwhelming until you do it a bunch. I still think it's a bit stressful as main tank lol. Watch those bats— that damage debuff is no joke.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think E3S is easier than E2S tbh. Maybe skip to that one.
I think Tsunami 2 is considerably more difficult than any spell-in-waiting tricks of E2, but that's me. The rest of E3 is nothing much, even Black Smokers is pretty straightforward, but Tsunami 2 was an absolute nightmare for my group.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I think Tsunami 2 is considerably more difficult than any spell-in-waiting tricks of E2, but that's me. The rest of E3 is nothing much, even Black Smokers is pretty straightforward, but Tsunami 2 was an absolute nightmare for my group.
Tsunami 2 is information overload at first and instills a lot of personal responsibility on every player, but I think it ends up being much easier fight in the end. Beyond just spell in waiting, I think e2s has a much harder dps check and quietus can also be an issue. Of course now it can be skipped with good dps and people having better gear, but I have seen enrage on that one a lot with people learning. Main tank also has to reposition the boss a lot which doesn't exist for any other fight in the tier currently.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Spell in waiting stuff isn't bad, for me the hardest mechanics in E2S are the "Cycles of..." at the end and the fact that there's 24 heads on screen at once you have to dodge and weave around. The damage down you take from eating those heads is no joke and with so many of them up at the end they're really hard to avoid. It makes the dps check on E2S seem way worse than it actually is.

My group didn't have a ton of trouble with Tsunami 2, we used the Galaxy Brain strat which seems relatively straightforward to me. We didn't put the tanks in the stacks which means healers have to be on point but it's not too bad. I'm not sure if pf uses this strat though, I think they might use the other one (gigabrain or whatever) which might not be as easy? I'm not sure.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
My group didn't have a ton of trouble with Tsunami 2, we used the Galaxy Brain strat which seems relatively straightforward to me. We didn't put the tanks in the stack which means healers have to be on point but it's not too bad. I'm not sure if pf uses this strat though, I think they might use the other one (gigabrain or whatever) which might not be as easy? I'm not sure.
My group used Gigabrain and it took us 3 nights of prog to even see Black Smokers for the first time. E2S went by completely without issue, we cleared on the first lockout without even seeing Enrage and straight farmed it after that.

There are tons of variables that go into causing a group to struggle with one mechanic or another, that was just my personal experience. Maybe Gigabrain is trash, I don't know, it's the only one we tried.

Oct 25, 2017
E2S has a high screwing-your-party-members-over-with-slight-execution-issues factor; the boss rotating slightly changes a bunch of demon head angles and can cause chaos pretty quickly. It's also a weird fight in that the DPS check is actually kind of low, but it's a 100% uptime fight by design so it''s a low check assuming you're constantly hitting the boss and a lot of people just... don't while they're doing mechanics. Or pick up Damage Downs like candy, assuming they'll be as irrelevant as they usually are in fights, but here they're real enough to matter.

E3S had more going on to make getting the right DPS out a thing, but was another O11S in that you had a bunch of incredibly scripted stuff to go through and pass/fail was generally fairly binary--either people were in the spots and you did the thing, or they were in the wrong spots and you did not. No last second pivoting everyone 5 degrees because Levi was pointed crooked.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Do any of you guys use the FFXIV Companion app? Would you recommend using it?
It's a hassle really. You need 1 Kupo Nut to do 1 transaction which you can get by daily login but then it's limited by 2. I just use it to get the extra favorite destination for aetheryte. This is for the free option of course, the paid option is the one you need to properly utilize the app.

Also...lol at this Astrid's solution to the love problem. She did a terrible job, but I don't have a heart to tell her sister that.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Had a pretty good day today!

-As soon as I got on this morning the Odin FATE spawned and the FC carried me pretty hard through it which was great given that it's fairly rare, and I got the Sleipnir Barding out of it which is neat. I won't be any class that can use any of the other options anytime soon so I went with that and I'm pretty pleased with it.

-Got most of my lingering +quests out of the way along with a bunch of new ones that popped up. I've still got Extreme Ifrit and Ramuh, Gilgamesh, Crystal Tower and Coil of Bahamut outstanding though. The other Extremes I got done via DF albeit with very long waits while I was doing MSQ stuff, I might do that again but I'll probably put out a FC call for help on Greg since I waited for over an hour on that one and not a single person joined. I'm told CT and Coil are pretty easy at this point so I'll probably just DF those and hope for the best.

-I made it to 2.5! Things are actually happening now! I'm level 63 which is just stupid for this point so I'll be glad to kind of move on.

Side note: does anyone know which of the FFXIV artbooks are in english? I reallllllly want to get the two Encyclopaedia Eorzea's (especially since the first volume is back in stock on S-E) which appear to be in english given the previews on the site, but I'm seeing mixed posts online about most of the other ones, and outside of a few of the various books being listed as explicitly JP only the others aren't very clear. I do have the upcoming Shadowbringers book pre-ordered, but I'm looking to see what I've already missed.

As always I appreciate the FC helping me out when I have questions and offering to help with Trials and such. I'm still learning new stuff all the time (I used PF for the first time today AND I was reminded that Limit Breaks exist) but I finally feel after ~6 weeks of playing I'm starting to get my head wrapped around things pretty well. Maybe.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
-I made it to 2.5! Things are actually happening now! I'm level 63 which is just stupid for this point so I'll be glad to kind of move on.
Oh man, the end of 2.5 is pretty wild. Also...try to finish all the Bahamut raids before moving on. There's some significant character development in there that will play out in future MSQ and wrapped up the ARR intro cinematic. Just ask one of your Lv80 FC mate to carry you. You can pretty much solo them all at 80.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm told CT and Coil are pretty easy at this point so I'll probably just DF those and hope for the best.
Coil via DF ain't happening, chief. It's de facto PF only. Whoever told you that was mistaken.

Also, PF might be a faster way of doing synced ARR trials, try throwing one up next time you want to do one (and be very explicit that you want to do it synced)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the end of 2.5 is pretty wild. Also...try to finish all the Bahamut raids before moving on. There's some significant character development in there that will play out in future MSQ and wrapped up the ARR intro cinematic. Just ask one of your Lv80 FC mate to carry you. You can pretty much solo them all at 80.

I still haven't beaten the final fight of the second tier solo. I should probably just get someone to help at this point so I can finally finish that thing.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Daily reminder that Coil needs to be re-released/remastered.
Not that what we've gotten since then isn't amazing, but Coil as a raid experience has yet to be outdone. It's phenomenal.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I did Coil once in a GAF carry group years ago. I'll probably never do the end raids again. I only do the easy ones when they're listed in WT books.

katagai

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does anything in this thread own "The Art of Eorzea" art book? My wife wants to get a tattoo of Haurchefant's sword and we can't find a good reference photo. We have the Heavensward art book but he's not in it, so I'm assuming he's in the previous one.

If anyone could confirm it contains an image of his sword, or even better snap a photo, you would be doing me a huge favour.

I tried looking for him in The Art of Eorzea, Art of Ishgard: Stone & Steel + Scars of War and Art of Stormblood: Western Memories and couldn't find him at all. The rest of the Heavensward cast were present though.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Here are the other outcomes for the Valentines event
Bert

Rodrigault

Bert should have won cause our client ends up with a man instead. Also it's hilarious how awful Rodrigualt's execution ends up.
Yeah what the fuck, Astrid solution is the worst, absolutely wrong and also the worst outcome. And she fucking won in every single realm worldwide, rigged from the start. I blame straight dudes for picking the only girl.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I picked Bert just because his outfit looked the best. Wish female characters could wear it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's not just that she's a girl, it's that her color is red and by default people love anything red, black, white, or grey. Basic bitches won

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Astrid won due to nepotism. Poll was rigged from the start.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Surely people just chose whichever colour they liked most, i refuse to belive many people pay much attention to the story in events

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing the FFXIV community, it's 100% because the options were a cute little sister elf, a snooty old elf, and a Highlander.
This is a weeb game, after all, don't kid yourselves.

Daily reminder that Coil needs to be re-released/remastered.
Not that what we've gotten since then isn't amazing, but Coil as a raid experience has yet to be outdone. It's phenomenal.

I don't know if SE would actually do this, and I can already hear the apologies for having to cut other content to do it, but I would love to have an actual story mode in DF. Just so people can actually experience how cool Coils is without messing around with PF.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Coil via DF ain't happening, chief. It's de facto PF only. Whoever told you that was mistaken.

Also, PF might be a faster way of doing synced ARR trials, try throwing one up next time you want to do one (and be very explicit that you want to do it synced)

Damn, alright time for the FC to assemble and help me out then lol. I knew people said to make sure to do CT before Shadowbringers, I wasn't aware Coil was also that relevant. I might be asking for help this week on that one then.

What about CT, am I good to DF on that one or is that one easily solable as well? I'm assuming with the party makeup I'd need at least 3+ folks even if they're overleveled just because of mechanics?

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, alright time for the FC to assemble and help me out then lol. I knew people said to make sure to do CT before Shadowbringers, I wasn't aware Coil was also that relevant. I might be asking for help this week on that one then.

What about CT, am I good to DF on that one or is that one easily solable as well? I'm assuming with the party makeup I'd need at least 3+ folks even if they're overleveled just because of mechanics?

Crystal Tower's a series of 24 man raids doable through the DF. The first two are turn-your-brain-off faceroll experiences. The third has some mechanics that still need to be done, but most problems boil down to people getting into arguments about The One Best Way to do five year old mechanics.

You won't have any problems doing it through the DF. It's the Ivalice ones (all the way in Stormblood) that are a bit sketchy to do at the moment.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I thought the relic Ivalice completion requirement would help with people queuing for it but nope, still can't find a group.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the relic Ivalice completion requirement would help with people queuing for it but nope, still can't find a group.
After the patch it probably will. A lot of people don't watch the live letter and won't know about it until the relic is actually in the game.

Right now people are still trying to farm the Heavensward raids for the moogles tomes to get those last few things they need before that event ends next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.